jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

do you think the UFC should "rank" its fighters?

when you watch a college game, the top 25 teams all generally hvae (x) next to their name.

what if the UFC started to do that with it's "top" 10? sure the lists are a little arbittary but i think it would help bring hte common fan in.

okami vs silva for instance sounds pretty boring to the casual fan but i think if it was
    "okami(2) vs silva(1)" we would start getting a lot more interested casual fans.

casual fans love sounding intelligent with bs like "oh he's ranked number 5 right?" too.

what do you guys think? just throwing out an idea

jin2daj

and even a match like "fitch(2) vs ellenberger" sounds a lot more appealing when people know one of hte fighters is as highly ranked as is where as otherwise, people would be like "who vs who?"

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

i say no, it's arbitrary, subjective and its not fair, just let them fight you win you get the fame and glory

jin2daj

Quote Originally Posted by phillybadboy View Post
    i say no, it's arbitrary, subjective and its not fair, just let them fight you win you get the fame and glory
    i see where your coming from but i feel like fighters like okami just dont get the recognition they deserve. and the casual fan knows nobody except guys like rampage, silva, or gsp.

and college rankings are aribtrary too.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Ranking system would probly cause Dana White more trouble than it's worth. As people have said above it's very subjective, arbitrary etc... Only have to look at the MMAweeky rankings and see Paul Daley in the top 10 to realise that it doesnt work! What has Semtex done that makes him worthy of being ahead of Condit, Stungun and Lytle? Furthermore, people will start saying even more that Dana is bias towards certain fighters, thers already this feeling that Dana pushes British fighters such as Bisping and especially Hardy more than they should...imagine the backlash if UFC do a Ranking and put Hardy in Top 10 and Bisping in Top 5? DW's twitter would get hammered with abuse! Without the ranking system it's easier for UFC to promote certain fights and push certain fighters, if ther was a solid ranking system would they ever of been able to do GSP vs Hardy? That would of been like Number 1 ranked vs Number 7 ranked (or whatever) which wouldnt make sense when likes of Fitch who is definitely Number 2 or Number 3 is getting overlooked. Basicly, a ranking system would constrain UFC to making certain fights that wouldnt be as promotable as others!

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Quote Originally Posted by jin2daj View Post
    i see where your coming from but i feel like fighters like okami just dont get the recognition they deserve. and the casual fan knows nobody except guys like rampage, silva, or gsp.

and college rankings are aribtrary too.
    I actually love the fact that Okami is so underrated b/c it makes it easy $$$ when he's a dog on the lines. But I feel bad for the guy. He seems to have worked so hard to get nowhere. Give the guy another shot at Silva so things can be put to rest.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

I think the contenders should be ranked. There should be an official 2nd and 3rd rank guy who are next in line for a title shot. Then you can have your contender match between 2 and 3. If they don't fight each other, which happens, and they end up fighting someone else and lose, whoever beats them takes the 3rd spot and whoever was at 3 moves to 2. This way it looks a lot more legit from an outside view and a person, joe silva, is not picking the fights.

Pabinator
    Pabinator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 74

Fighters get hurt all the time so it wont work. You'd have to switch the rankings based on health & availablity

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

The UFC like the give those coming off impressive performances (ie. first round knockouts) title shots rather than what many see as the true number 1 contender. For this reason the ranking system wouldnt work for them.

Camdemonium
    Camdemonium's Avatar Become A Pro!

It would be nice to have a good idea of who the number 1 contender is. That's always been a big gripe of mine, and it's true what was said above that people coming off impressive preformances sometimes skip who should be the top contender. Josh K. comes to mind. I still don't know how he got a recent title shot.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like the idea. Would be nice if they had a system that made it fair for everyone and everyone could move up. The only problem is that they might have to reward boring fighters when they rank up high. That could result in boring main events and less money for the UFC.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladarus View Post
    I like the idea. Would be nice if they had a system that made it fair for everyone and everyone could move up. The only problem is that they might have to reward boring fighters when they rank up high. That could result in boring main events and less money for the UFC.
    which is exactly why they'll never do it.

Chipp
    Chipp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8689

Yeah, pretty much this ^

mvikingsfan52
    mvikingsfan52's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with kaladarus. Boring fighters would take over to move up the rankings, which would be horrible for us

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

i'd say the UFC makes the right fights 95% of the time. No need for a rankings system

Flexin
    Flexin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 51

I feel it wouldn't be worth doing in the UFC. Unlike boxing, one company has all the fighters. UFC has everyones contract. You just can take fights and work your way up. You work for the company or you fight somewhere else. So they pick the fights they want. I don't think the casual fans even care. Most just want to see blood IMO.

James

jin2daj

Quote Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
    I don't think the casual fans even care. Most just want to see blood IMO.

James
    they do care. im in fraternity and the only time i can get my boys to come to the bars or split a ppv with me is if the main event involves rampage, silva, brock, or bj.

jin2daj

but i think you guys are right that the ufc would have a hard time pushing its british fighters, because they would have to rank them high to keep british kids interested but the US fans would be pretty annoyed with bisping(5)

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by jin2daj View Post
    they do care. im in fraternity and the only time i can get my boys to come to the bars or split a ppv with me is if the main event involves rampage, silva, brock, or bj.
    But a ranking alone doesn't work. Some don't trust the rankings. And the rankings do not guarantee a good fight. The only thing that matters to them is the name. If its someone they know they will be more interested. If you have two unknown fighters that are ranked 3 and 4 its only going to get so many people to watch it. It just means that they need to do a better job at promoting fighters.

James

Flexin

Another reason that the rankings don't matter too much is because if you have too many bad fights and the UFC will drop you like a bad habit. So if they are in the UFC it should mean they have done something good in their career.

The guys in your fraternity need to know that styles make fights, not the rankings.

James

jin2daj

Quote Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
    Another reason that the rankings don't matter too much is because if you have too many bad fights and the UFC will drop you like a bad habit. So if they are in the UFC it should mean they have done something good in their career.

The guys in your fraternity need to know that styles make fights, not the rankings.

James
    the thing is people will always watch the best. i dont like soccer but ill watch the world cup finals. people who dont want football will watch the superbowl. same goes for march madness finals, bcs finals, and etc. i think watching 1 vs 2, is always somewhat compelling.

you might be right in that ranking fighters might make it a little harder for the ufc to drop certain fighters though.

wake14
    wake14's Avatar Become A Pro!

I do not know, boxing does not have any type of rankings.... its all about big names!!!

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by wake14 View Post
    I do not know, boxing does not have any type of rankings.... its all about big names!!!
    Boxing has a ranking for each sanctioning body.

James