Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcat View Post
    Kids are stupid these days if this is the case Why would a kid prefer to get cauliflower ear and brain damage in 5 years for a $100,000 MMA contract when he could make millions over a long career as a top rank boxer?
    Anyone who says mma is more dangerous to the brain then boxing, has no clue what they're talking about. The whole point of boxing is to hit someone in the head as many times as you can, over and over. And that goes on for 12 rounds In mma, you sometimes have entire fights that are on the ground and about submissions and wrestling, where guys barely get punched in the head. And that lasts 3 rounds, less then that on average.

jacktheknife
    jacktheknife's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16884

Kids are stupid these days if this is the case

Why would a kid prefer to get cauliflower ear and brain damage in 5 years for a $100,000 MMA contract when he could make millions over a long career as a top rank boxer?
    Hooray! You got something right.

Except the kids part, they probably at least look for statistics before they take a test.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    I don't think you know what you're talking about. You think a boxer, who gets hit in the head hundreds of times a day for his entire career, over and over and over. And then gets to fight night and takes 12 rounds of repetitive heads shots. Vs. a UFC fighter, who when he gets hit hard a couple of times, the fight is over. What causes more brain damage, 250 good shots to the head, or 2 good shots to the head? Oh yeah but that cauliflower ear sure is a nightmare.

And who makes money in boxing anymore? the top few guys? and they are at a much more serious risk of brain injury and plus they're competing in a dying sport. You really think there is better money overall to be made in boxing 10 years from now then in mma? If you're talking about today, then yeah, the top 5 boxers make more then the top 5 mma fighters. But that isn't going to last much longer.

Your average sports fan today probably can't name 2 of boxings 200 title holders from the last couple years. But they can probably name 3 or 4 of the ufcs 20.
    Do you have any statistical data to support this theory or is this just your opinion? Sounds like an opinion to me.

Tree Rollins

Do you have any statistical data to support this theory or is this just your opinion? Sounds like an opinion to me.
    Sounds like common sense to me.

Tree Rollins

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

sorry to bother you guys, but did the timothy bradley fight go over 9.5 rounds?

Tree Rollins

What's most likely to be more profitable in 10 years? One of the fastest dying sports in the world, or the fastest growing sport in the world?

sharpcat

Anyone who says mma is more dangerous to the brain then boxing, has no clue what they're talking about. The whole point of boxing is to hit someone in the head as many times as you can, over and over. And that goes on for 12 rounds In mma, you sometimes have entire fights that are on the ground and about submissions and wrestling, where guys barely get punched in the head. And that lasts 3 rounds, less then that on average.
    I was being sarcastic

But getting your head pounded into the mat for thirty seconds until the ref calls the fight is pretty brutal compared to getting punched in the head with 16 ounce gloves on, also I do not see any boxers getting windmill kicked in the head by a un-padded foot. Short term damge seems like it would be just as harmful if not more in the MMA for 1/10th of the salary.

sharpcat

Quote Originally Posted by phillybadboy View Post
    sorry to bother you guys, but did the timothy bradley fight go over 9.5 rounds?
    Ten rounds were scored.

newjerseydevils
    newjerseydevils's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheknife View Post
    Hooray! You got something right.

Except the kids part, they probably at least look for statistics before they take a test.

wow. this is mad funny

Tree Rollins

I was being sarcastic But getting your head pounded into the mat for thirty seconds until the ref calls the fight is pretty brutal compared to getting punched in the head with 16 ounce gloves on, also I do not see any boxers getting windmill kicked in the head by a un-padded foot. Short term damge seems like it would be just as harmful if not more in the MMA for 1/10th of the salary.
    Yeah it is more brutal 1 shot compared to 1 shot. But you're taking a hundred shots to 5. All i'm saying is that MMA is the way to go if you're a young, talented fighter.
    I mean, most of these guys start this stuff b/c they actually want to learn to fight. And if you get in a street fight, you can't just choose whether to fight on the feet or ground. Boxing isn't fighting, it's just an aspect of fighting. MMA includes all aspects of fighting, so that you're prepared for anything. To me, it just makes sense to learn how to fight, instead of just learning how to box.

phillybadboy

Ten rounds were scored.
    i bet over 9.5 rounds guy tellin me it's loss, did i win?

sharpcat

What's most likely to be more profitable in 10 years? One of the fastest dying sports in the world, or the fastest growing sport in the world?
    Again without statistical data to prove that the salary for MMA will be greater than boxing we would have to stick with what we know for a fact. Boxing pays 10 times better than MMA.

You do know what happens to people who assume right?

sharpcat

Quote Originally Posted by phillybadboy View Post
    i bet over 9.5 rounds guy tellin me it's loss, did i win?
    Check the score card because the incidental head butt occured in the 10th round the judges had to score the round, not to mention the bell sounded for the 10th round.

If your bookie tries to claim otherwise he is fuking you.
    Points Awarded:

phillybadboy gave sharpcat 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Tree Rollins

Again without statistical data to prove that the salary for MMA will be greater than boxing we would have to stick with what we know for a fact. Boxing pays 10 times better than MMA. You do know what happens to people who assume right?
    There is statistical data that showed MMA to be the fastest growing sport in the world. So look that up. I've already done my research, I'm not going to do yours for you too.

What happens to people who assume? Do they turn out like you?

phillybadboy

Check the score card because the incidental head butt occured in the 10th round the judges had to score the round, not to mention the bell sounded for the 10th round. If your bookie tries to claim otherwise he is fuking you.
    right it didn't make any sense to me , thanks

sharpcat

Yeah it is more brutal 1 shot compared to 1 shot. But you're taking a hundred shots to 5. All i'm saying is that MMA is the way to go if you're a young, talented fighter.
    I mean, most of these guys start this stuff b/c they actually want to learn to fight. And if you get in a street fight, you can't just choose whether to fight on the feet or ground. Boxing isn't fighting, it's just an aspect of fighting. MMA includes all aspects of fighting, so that you're prepared for anything. To me, it just makes sense to learn how to fight, instead of just learning how to box.
    I agree MMA is good for learning self defense but I just can not see a talented young athlete chosen to pursue MMA over boxing until salaries for MMA fighters increase drastically its just to brutal of a sport to enjoy a long career in.

It would be interesting to see the caliber of athletes that would be competing in MMA if 10 years down the road their was more money in being an MMA fighter.

sharpcat

There is statistical data that showed MMA to be the fastest growing sport in the world. So look that up. I've already done my research, I'm not going to do yours for you too.

What happens to people who assume? Do they turn out like you?
    Again I do not make assumptions I too have done my research and Brock lesnar to date has earned the highest payday for any MMA fighter at about half a million for 1 fight when you have top ranked boxers making 10 million dollar paydays for a fight. I do not need supportive evidence because I am not forecasting the future like you are I am basing this off of facts that we currently know.

Tree Rollins

I agree MMA is good for learning self defense but I just can not see a talented young athlete chosen to pursue MMA over boxing until salaries for MMA fighters increase drastically its just to brutal of a sport to enjoy a long career in. It would be interesting to see the caliber of athletes that would be competing in MMA if 10 years down the road their was more money in being an MMA fighter.
    Where is all this money in boxing? Take out of top 4 or 5 boxers, and where is the proof that your average boxer, or 99% of them, make more then your average MMA fighter. i want to see the statistical data to prove that in 10 years a dying sport will be more profitable then the fastest growing sport in the world. Where is the statistical data to prove this?

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

I can't wait until the tennis player and futbol player wave hits MMA

Tree Rollins

Again I do not make assumptions I too have done my research and Brock lesnar to date has earned the highest payday for any MMA fighter at about half a million for 1 fight when you have top ranked boxers making 10 million dollar paydays for a fight. I do not need supportive evidence because I am not forecasting the future like you are I am basing this off of facts that we currently know.
    You have no clue what you're talking about, again. Do your research, i won't keep doing it for you. Brock Lesnar takes home over 5 million dollars for the fight you're talking about. And UFC has been popular for what, 6 or 7 years? And boxing has been popular for what, a 100 years? Using common sense, and mathmatics, and "statistical data", of which you seem to have none. think about how the salaries of top MMA fighters have risen in the last 10 years, what has it been a 300%, 400%, increase, or more? What about boxing....well Tyson and holyfield were making a 30 million purse 10 years ago. So the purse of the top guys in boxing has stayed the same, or gone down. Maybe a couple % increase if you want to generous.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33528

Quote Originally Posted by rocky502 View Post
    Never heard of ether boxer. MMA tonight. I've really lost it for boxing. Too much politics keeping the best matchups from happening.
    So people are discussing a fight between the #1 and #3 ranked (by boxrec) fighters in arguably boxing's most loaded division, and your contribution to the thread is that the best matchups aren't happening.

It seems most people who want to bash boxing do it reflexively without thinking about what they are saying.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

There's been like 2 deaths in MMA and no cases of long term fighting causing brain damage. How does that compare to boxing? It doesn't because boxing is littered with retired and retarded vegetables.

sharpcat

You have no clue what you're talking about, again. Do your research, i won't keep doing it for you. Brock Lesnar takes home over 5 million dollars for the fight you're talking about. And UFC has been popular for what, 6 or 7 years? And boxing has been popular for what, a 100 years? Using common sense, and mathmatics, and "statistical data", of which you seem to have none. think about how the salaries of top MMA fighters have risen in the last 10 years, what has it been a 300%, 400%, increase, or more? What about boxing....well Tyson and holyfield were making a 30 million purse 10 years ago. So the purse of the top guys in boxing has stayed the same, or gone down. Maybe a couple % increase if you want to generous.
    Do your research records are being set left and right for highest paying boxing matches Mayweather, De la hoya, Paquiao. I am not going to compare the earnings of boxers to MMA fighters for you everybody knows boxers make more except for you.

Obviously salaries would expand as a sport went from an non televised sport to picking up a little mainstream attention a 300% increase is expected, look at the salaries of WWE wrestlers now compared to 10 years ago.

Let me know when Chuck Liddell starts buying tigers and 30 million dollar mansions until then you are simply making uneducated assumptions on future of the 2 sports. Last I saw George St Pierre was driving a toyota corrolla on "The Ultimate Fighter"

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

toyota corolla just so happens to be a sponsor on the show. You don't say, and both coaches were driving corrollas, wow, sure is weird

(nobody help him out, lets see if he can put it together on his own)

Tree Rollins

And then on top of all it you have crooked promoters like Don King stealing half of a man's purse. so what's that leave you? in the ufc, at least you don't have rampant corruption and criminals running the organization. That's why boxing has failed. Boxing could/should be great, but the crooks who run it won't let it happen. They take all the money for themselves. And that's why in a couple generations if you tell a kid you've been boxing for 10 years he will laugh at you, and then he'll put you on the ground and break your arm.

Anyway, you are bringing up things that everyone already knows. Wow, the highest paid 3 or 4 boxers in the world make more then the highest paid MMA fighters, as of today. I've already told you this like 4 times. Give me one common sense reason or "statistical data" that tells me boxing will be more successful then MMA in 10 years from now.
    Last edited by Tree Rollins; 01-30-11 at 12:49 AM.

clarkd32
    clarkd32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

so who was diaz yelling at outside the cage? he also mouthed some words that cannot be said to the individual after he threw his mouthpiece...

Tree Rollins

Basically this went from you trying to argue that mma was more dangerous then boxing, to which to agreed you were wrong. To you trying to say that boxing has a higher chance for long term success/profitability then mixed martial arts, which is an argument you can't win, b/c you're wrong. Boxing is done. I wish it wasn't true, but it is. A bunch of crooks and dipshits have ruined a good sport. i liked boxing. But is so totally ****** up beyond repair. No one really gives a shit anymore. How is that going to change?

sharpcat

And then on top of all it you have crooked promoters like Don King stealing half of a man's purse. so what's that leave you? in the ufc, at least you don't have rampant corruption and criminals running the organization. That's why boxing has failed. Boxing could/should be great, but the crooks who run it won't let it happen. They take all the money for themselves. And that's why in a couple generations if you tell a kid you've been boxing for 10 years he will laugh at you, and then he'll put you on the ground and break your arm.

Anyway, you are bringing up things that everyone already knows. Wow, the highest paid 3 or 4 boxers in the world make more then the highest paid MMA fighters, as of today. I've already told you this like 4 times. Give me one common sense reason or "statistical data" that tells me boxing will be more successful then MMA in 10 years from now. Basically, i'm still waiting for you to tell me something i don't already know.
    This is the problem here, you don't know anything.

The fact that boxers currently make 75X more than MMA fighters per fight suggests that the burden of proof is on you to prove that MMA fighters will be making more in 10 years as of right now you have not provided any evidence to believe this other than your opinion.

What part of this do you not understand?

Tree Rollins

This is the problem here, you don't know anything. The fact that boxers currently make 75X more than MMA fighters per fight suggests that the burden of proof is on you to prove that MMA fighters will be making more in 10 years as of right now you have not provided any evidence to believe this other than your opinion. What part of this do you not understand?
    Ok. Boxing isn't half as popular as it was 20 years ago. Boxing is dying. No one will argue this. MMA is the fasting growing sport in the world. These are facts. What don't you understand?

sharpcat

And do not put words in my mouth I never agreed that I was wrong I still believe 100% that MMA is a more brutal and taxing sport on your body on a per fight basis.
    What are you 19?

Tree Rollins

This is the problem here, you don't know anything. The fact that boxers currently make 75X more than MMA fighters per fight suggests that the burden of proof is on you to prove that MMA fighters will be making more in 10 years as of right now you have not provided any evidence to believe this other than your opinion. What part of this do you not understand?
    You're not even reading what i write. Either that, or you're simple minded. I think you're simple. This has been a total waste of time.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

This is the problem here, you don't know anything.

The fact that boxers currently make 75X more than MMA fighters per fight suggests that the burden of proof is on you to prove that MMA fighters will be making more in 10 years as of right now you have not provided any evidence to believe this other than your opinion.

What part of this do you not understand?
    Boxing is pretty much irrelevant these days. That's the part that I'm not sure you understand.

Tree Rollins

You're too simple. I cannot speak to you anymore.

sharpcat

Ok. Boxing isn't half as popular as it was 20 years ago. MMA is the fasting growing sport in the world. These are facts. What don't you understand?
    This is where you are confused MMA is a growing sport and maybe it might be the fastest.....although we do not have enough evidence to prove this.........but Boxing is not a growing sport it has been around for ages.

And again do you have a survey from the consensus bureau or something that proves that boxing is not as popular as it was 20 years ago. This sounds like another opinion of yours recent earnings for recent boxing matches compared to years past would suggest otherwise.

First 123 Last