ddream1
    ddream1's Avatar Become A Pro!

WHOEVER pat barry fights next i have him for a big wager

going blind on this wager whenever it pops out. seriously has berry improved in any fashion? he looked horrible to me. maybe it was the emotions and pressure i don't know but i just watched i again and he can be pushed back and wrapped up easily. whatever opponent is next i don't care i'm betting him. barry barely threw a real punch, barely threw a combo, his footwork always gave it away for the big left head kick. he looked sluggish and tired and i thought beltran fought him correctly. those leg kicks are superb, he has some mean leg kicks. anyways just some random thoughts

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

seems like the only matchup available is mitrione/barry

Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    seems like the only matchup available is mitrione/barry
    I wonder if they will fight because they are "friends". I'm sure they don't mind fighting though. I think they can put on a good show and put their "friendship" aside.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

weird because barry was really impressive against cro cop. pretty much dominated him round 1.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

He dominated him until .....

Could be the theme song to Barry's career

jacktheknife
    jacktheknife's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16896

Barry lost to Cro Cop because he marked out, but I always gave him the benefit of the doubt as to his nominal game. Then I saw him do something in this fight that he did against Cro Cop that drove me insane. I handwaved it before as being a result of his broken finger, but he did it again, repeatedly and out of nowhere. Points to anyone who calls it.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

I'm pretty sure I'm going against Barry in his next fight as well. He fights too nice and doesn't seem to have that killer instinct to finish his opponents. He would rather tap gloves and hug mid round than throw a finishing leg kick. I think he's a great personality, but his head is just not where it needs to be to match up w/ the elite HW's. He also seems undersized. Barry won't fight Meathead... and if he ever did I would go heavy on Mitrione. I have a feeling Pat is getting matched up against Kongo next. Kongo can probably get him to the mat and TKO him.

RealBets
    RealBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Barry is a nice guy. He got potential but needs to learn to have a killer instinct.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Brandon Vera vs Pat Barry. Bring Vera back and call this fight the We could have been a contender Bowl.

POTENTIALLY the fight of the night

brooks85

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm going against Barry in his next fight as well. He fights too nice and doesn't seem to have that killer instinct to finish his opponents. He would rather tap gloves and hug mid round than throw a finishing leg kick. I think he's a great personality, but his head is just not where it needs to be to match up w/ the elite HW's. He also seems undersized. Barry won't fight Meathead... and if he ever did I would go heavy on Mitrione. I have a feeling Pat is getting matched up against Kongo next. Kongo can probably get him to the mat and TKO him.

did barry actually say he wouldnt fight matt? Im curious

kongo is fighting carwin, there really is no one else to fight unless they want to wait months for other fights to play out.

99Boxster
    99Boxster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4394

Barry vs Sok. Now that would be funny!

jin2daj

barry mitrione IS really interesting though. mitrione would certainly be an underdog but i dont know if he's ready to rise up to the middle tier just yet.

jin2daj

then again beltran is definately bottom tier and barry had some trouble there for sure.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by jin2daj View Post
    barry mitrione IS really interesting though. mitrione would certainly be an underdog but i dont know if he's ready to rise up to the middle tier just yet.
    U think Barry is middle-tier and Mitrione isnt? NO way Mitrione would be the underdog IMO! Only think Barry has an advantage on is leg kicks. Mitrione has better boxing, better footwork and head movement and better ground game, no doubt Mitrione is going to be overhyped after that first round win against Hague but he certainly isnt below Barry's level (probably only Hunt and McCorkle are below but even Big Sexy would have a decent chance of getting it to the ground and subbing Barry due to his size!).

Straight Cash
    Straight Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Barry is tough to figure out. I feel like he could have finished Beltran but was gassed.

NickBaragona
    NickBaragona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheknife View Post
    Barry lost to Cro Cop because he marked out, but I always gave him the benefit of the doubt as to his nominal game. Then I saw him do something in this fight that he did against Cro Cop that drove me insane. I handwaved it before as being a result of his broken finger, but he did it again, repeatedly and out of nowhere. Points to anyone who calls it.
    Was hesistant and didnt go in for the kill when his opponent was rocked?

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Cash View Post
    Barry is tough to figure out. I feel like he could have finished Beltran but was gassed.
    Or maybe he was just thinking too much about the afterparty and having drinks w/ Beltran mid-fight. He probably wanted Beltran to be able to walk to the bar to grab him a drink so he let up on a few leg kicks. Joking aside, this guy just doesn't have a great fighter mentality to him and I won't bet on him as a favorite again.

ddream1

the biggest thing for me that seems odd is how easily he can be hit. barry seems like a sitting duck. mitroine has some deep leg kicks aswell. that fight could be fun. barry just doesn't seem to let his hands go, he needs to be more fluid and engage or someone will drop him soon

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by ddream1 View Post
    the biggest thing for me that seems odd is how easily he can be hit. barry seems like a sitting duck. mitroine has some deep leg kicks aswell. that fight could be fun. barry just doesn't seem to let his hands go, he needs to be more fluid and engage or someone will drop him soon
    Yeah he has limited footwork and head movement, it's why he'd get killed in K1...God forbid he'd ever have to face Gokhan Saki!

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2428

Quote Originally Posted by ddream1 View Post

Yea, this is what I took from the fight. If anyone closes the distance on him and makes him back up, he basically has no defense. It seemed to be Beltran's strategy to let Barry come to him and try to turn him into the cage. But, if he pressed more early, he may have taken the fight.

I was on Barry and was actually fairly nervous about the decision. Anyone else think Beltran won round 1 and made round 2 real close with that late rally? Obviously the leg kicks did more damage in round 2, but judges seem to credit punches to head more, generally.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Terp, I absolutely was nervous just the same. I thought that Beltran won rd one with his control by pressing Barry against the cage and working him. I was shocked how the ref kept separating them b/c it seemed to me that Beltran was active enough to stay in position. Round two was pretty close, but I gave it to Barry as it seemed he inflicted more damage... but yeah he was taking some shots to the head. I thought rd 3 was obviously Barry's. It should have been 29-28 down the board imo, but w/ all the bad calls lately I was sweating the decision.

jacktheknife

Quote Originally Posted by NickBaragona View Post
    Was hesistant and didnt go in for the kill when his opponent was rocked?
    Naw, every asshole does that. This asshole is a special asshole.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

It is very unlikley that he will fight Mitroine, but if they were to fight I would wager on meat head. If he gets matched up with a wrestler like Jon Madson I'd bet against Barry too.

ddream1

Quote Originally Posted by terpkeg View Post
    Yea, this is what I took from the fight. If anyone closes the distance on him and makes him back up, he basically has no defense. It seemed to be Beltran's strategy to let Barry come to him and try to turn him into the cage. But, if he pressed more early, he may have taken the fight.

I was on Barry and was actually fairly nervous about the decision. Anyone else think Beltran won round 1 and made round 2 real close with that late rally? Obviously the leg kicks did more damage in round 2, but judges seem to credit punches to head more, generally.
    i thought beltran fought brillianylt and i was nervous aswell. after 2 i thought beltran had it by a hair, then the beginning of the 3rd beltran looked like he was fresh and pouring it open by closing things up i thought it was over than that eye poked, i may of saved the day.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Barry fought without any urgency, almost as if he didn't care. He looked lethargic and hesitant throughout the fight. Aside from his leg kicks he had nothing, and at close distance even his striking is sub-par. I won't be betting on him as a heavy favorite again, he just doesn't seem to have a fighter's mentality.

jin2daj

i acutally said i was going to go against beltran after he first beat gracie. but yeha i forgot and i luckily didint.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

Barry could chop down a tree with his leg kicks. Shame he can't better utilize his best skill.

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2428

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    Terp, I absolutely was nervous just the same. I thought that Beltran won rd one with his control by pressing Barry against the cage and working him. I was shocked how the ref kept separating them b/c it seemed to me that Beltran was active enough to stay in position. Round two was pretty close, but I gave it to Barry as it seemed he inflicted more damage... but yeah he was taking some shots to the head. I thought rd 3 was obviously Barry's. It should have been 29-28 down the board imo, but w/ all the bad calls lately I was sweating the decision.

Yea, we are on the same page. I was suprised with the quick breakups on the cage. who was that, yamasaki? That was a gift. It wasn't like Beltran was just holding him there and praying, he was landing. Sometimes within seconds of the break up. But i thought 29-28 was the accurate score.

What were the scores, 30-27 twice? Soon as a heard those, was relieved because I new no one was giving Beltran the third. He was nearly an amputtee.

I had expected that damage to be inflicted earlier, maybe by early second with third round finish.

To the point of this thread though, I can't say Barry is an auto fade for me. Need to see the matchup. His leg kicks are clearly vicious and can finish fights.

Riot
    Riot's Avatar Become A Pro!

Okay, i love you guys, but lets get a few things straight about Barry.

Has he improved ? Barry had virtually no take down defense when he first got in the UFC. He stuffed almost all of Beltrans Takedowns. Beltran has been touted as a good but not great wrestler. Barry even got back to his feet after the only takedown. Thats light years from his fight with Hague.

Mitrione and Barry would never fight each other, if you think Meathead would be the favorite in that fight then you havent watched his post fight interview after the Kimbo Slice fight where he "Thanks "Coach Barry" for kicking his ass all the time and helping him perfect his striking.

Barry destroyed Cro Cop before breaking his hand "not just a finger" and his foot. The fact that he made it another 2 rounds with cro cop is amazing.

Lastly, Barry has fought in K-1 Before. His record is 3-5-1. 3 of those losses were via split decision, one was stopped due to a cut early and the other loss was a decision. All 3 wins were KO's/TKO's. he sports a 18-6 Kickboxing record overall/

brooks85

Link the article or video where either guy has said they would not fight one another. I haven't heard either of them say anything about it and they both seem like they would have no issues fighting.
    Last edited by brooks85; 01-25-11 at 08:29 PM.

snake11eyes
    snake11eyes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 577

Barry vs. Mitrione seems logical for the next fight. Mitrione probably will be the slight favorite. Yes I will be against Barry in this fight if it's next.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    Link the article or video where either guy has said they would not fight one another. I haven't heard either of them say anything about it and they both seem like they would have no issues fighting.
    Well even if they agreed to fight each other I wouldnt want to see it. He hugged and gave crocop high fives and he didn't even know him on a personal level. Barry and Mitrione are friends so they would probably take it one step further and start making out. lol

Eccocide
    2010 MMA Results: +69.3225 units
    Eccocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    U think Barry is middle-tier and Mitrione isnt? NO way Mitrione would be the underdog IMO! Only think Barry has an advantage on is leg kicks. Mitrione has better boxing, better footwork and head movement and better ground game, no doubt Mitrione is going to be overhyped after that first round win against Hague but he certainly isnt below Barry's level (probably only Hunt and McCorkle are below but even Big Sexy would have a decent chance of getting it to the ground and subbing Barry due to his size!).
    I gotta disagree with you here. I think he would be the underdog and rightfully so. Barry was tentative in this fight due to the fact that he had to worry about the takedown. Beltran isnt a worldclass wrestler but he does have a wrestling background and it caused Barry to seize up a little bit due to that threat. If you noticed, Barry started to open up with the leg kicks more once Beltran started to slow down because he knew that Beltran wasn't going to have enough strength to catch a leg and push through for a TD. He wouldnt have to worry at all about the TD threat when fighting Mitrione. Mitrione's standup is still developing and there are some definite holes. He still has sloppy defence and leaves himself open to counters quite a bit. The only thing that would keep me from betting on Barry if the 2 fought would be his lack of killer instinct, especially when fighting a friend.

jacktheknife

Not to mention he repeatedly gets in his opponent's range and starts SHOVING THE GUY! I don't care if it's some kind of Muay Thai convention, that's dumbtarded.

Vrakas
    Vrakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8912

barry seems to be a good first round fighter as long as he keeps it on th feet .once the first round is over he is gassed.

12 Last