Riot
    Riot's Avatar Become A Pro!

Things i am reminded of after Fight for the Troops 2

1. Nothing is a given in MMA. Two of the fighters with the highest juice lost, Brown and Dunham. Other high juiced guys were in danger, Barry, Edwards. Paying anything over -200 just doesnt seem worth it.

2. Wrestlers own Brazilians. If you take an experienced wrestler vs a guy who was killing it in Brazil and is facing a wrestler for the first time. The wrestler winning a decision is a safe bet.

3. Mike Brown is Sean Sherk. Brown had a style that matched up well with Urijah Faber, but hes not elite. He will probably get a can his next fight, but he will be fade material when they step him up in competition again.

4. Beware of the Melvin Guiliard Hype train. Any time a fighter wins a main event, the hype train goes wild. Melvin Guiliard is who we thought he was. A decent fighter with KO power. He is streaky, he should have lost to stephens. He went all out with Dunham cause that was his only chance to win, but he is more cautious and less dangerous with other strikers. Lowe wasnt a technical striker at all and Torres earned his name in Brazil. Guilliard is evolving, but he not there yet.

Awesome night tho !

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Some good points Riot and I agree with the first one especially! I have been trying to follow this rule since the big favourite Ross Pearson got choked out by Magrinho. However, there are always exceptions of course, as with Hominick last night, but that was only because I didnt see any area where Roop would have an advantage. At least with the Pearson/Miller fight for instance, it was clear that Miller would offer a submission threat if he got it to the ground (allbeit most including myself didnt expect him to get it to the ground by rocking Pearson with a punch!).

Also with regard to wrestlers owning Brazilians, I wouldnt generalise it as much as that but you are right on the whole. But Charles Oliveira is an example of a guy who perhaps can deal with experienced wrestlers (I dont think Darren Elkins is any lower level than Lowe) and because he had an aggressive guard he was able to choke Elkins out easily. In Jim Miller he was not only facing a very good wrestler but also a high-level BJJ blackbelt so he was in a very tough position (unlike against Elkins who is rather one-dimensional). Unlike Oliveira, the two Brazilians last night didnt show very active guards. Willamy did latch on to a couple of kimuras but it seemed he was doing tht more to just stall the action and get it back to the feet rather than wholeheartedly attempting to pull off the move.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

I agree w/ you on most points here. However, I really believe MTB was elite at one point and time but has just fallen off quickly. He's 35 years old now and doesn't seem to have the explosiveness that he used to. He looked old and tired out there. Also, it could have had something to do w/ him coming in on such a quick notice. Glad I only had a prop bet on him for sub of the night at +6000. Was way off.

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think your really not giving guillard enough credit, who does the guy have to beat to get the respect he deserves!?!? not to be a nut hugger, but i think he beat stephens fair and square.

i think the biggest thing to take away from last night was that the judging problem in mma is severe.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderNation MMA View Post
    i think your really not giving guillard enough credit, who does the guy have to beat to get the respect he deserves!?!? not to be a nut hugger, but i think he beat stephens fair and square.

i think the biggest thing to take away from last night was that the judging problem in mma is severe.
    Truth. I was shocked that there was a 30-27 score for Beltran/Barry last night (Barry won from the kicks in my mind, but Beltran took the first rd) and also a 29-28 score for Wiiman/Miller. What the hell did Miller do the entire fight other than struggle off his back?

kiefynugs
    Update your status
    kiefynugs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

I also thought guillard beat stephens. I enjoy his fights and am a fan of his career, although I don't think he'll be holding the belt in 2012

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

Giving a round to Cole is indefensible. He got tooled the entire fight.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Quote Originally Posted by urge2kill View Post
    Giving a round to Cole is indefensible. He got tooled the entire fight.

and I love your title, mr Resident draw expert

Riot

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderNation MMA View Post
    i think your really not giving guillard enough credit, who does the guy have to beat to get the respect he deserves!?!?.
    Frankie Edgar
    Gray Maynard
    Bj Penn
    Kenny Florian
    Sean Sherk
    Clay Guida
    Jim Miller
    George Sotiropoulos

Maybe even Anthony Pettis

I believe thats the top of the Division in the UFC and i Have Guillard just outside of that. Exposing Dunham did help him, but i dont see him beating anybody on ths list more then 40 times out of a hundred.

Riot

Id like to See Pat Barry fight James Toney or Brett Rogers.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

I'd love to see Melvin smash in Sherk's face.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Quote Originally Posted by Riot View Post
    Id like to See Pat Barry fight James Toney or Brett Rogers.
    I'd like to see what a Pat Berry entrance would look like in Pride.

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think melvin will do really well against all thoose ppl! he has the tools! as for the judging problem, i cant understabd why so bad other ppl who actually know something about mma should work for the athletic comisson