rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

sorry for another specific bout thread,but...freire/lowe

didn`t see anyone address this bout...this one intrigues me....i`ve watched some video on both guys....freire is an athletic,well rounded fighter who,if you look a little closer at his record,has actually fought fairly solid competition in brazil and japan...

lowe is a lefty fireplug/multiple-time small college nat`l champion wrestler... he`s built like a truck and has excellent takedowns....

one thing i noticed...freire has some excellent chokes from a standing position vs guys that attempt to shoot on him...

not sure whether lowe is just plain too powerful....

freiere looks like the more well-rounded mma fighter....but lowe could conceivably put him on his back in every round if he can avoid the chokes....

really an intersting little undercard fight...

i like looking at these more obscure toss-up type fights (-115/-105 freire) to see if i can find an edge.....this one looks tough to get a real handle on...

any opinions welcome and appreciated...

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Freire looks to be a small play at this time. He is the more well rounded fighter, and more importantly has tools to attack the one dimensional wrestler. His guillotine as you mentioned is good, he looks comfortable on his back and has an active guard and decent hips.

Lowe has difficulty setting up his takedowns with his lack of reach and non existent stand up. That isn't to say that he won't eventually find a way to take this fight to the ground, as he has great technique and strength. However, there will be a good window for Willamy to attack and hurt Lowe and possibly to finish him.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    Freire looks to be a small play at this time. He is the more well rounded fighter, and more importantly has tools to attack the one dimensional wrestler. His guillotine as you mentioned is good, he looks comfortable on his back and has an active guard and decent hips.

Lowe has difficulty setting up his takedowns with his lack of reach and non existent stand up. That isn't to say that he won't eventually find a way to take this fight to the ground, as he has great technique and strength. However, there will be a good window for Willamy to attack and hurt Lowe and possibly to finish him.

that`s what i`m looking for,po po(no,not the po-lice...that`s a nic for you,my brotha`)....................

excellent comments....much appreciated...

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Yeah I took Freire at -106 even though Id not seen much footage as I knew Id be able to probably arb out. But for the first time Paddy have release props on every fight on the card so I took Lowe by decision at +225 as I could see him grinding it out (as you've said).

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

Coming from a psychological point of view, if anyone else watched the weigh ins....you saw Lowe back up twice when Freire got in his face. He tried to make it subtle, but his body language told you where his mind was at. Small play on Freire for sure.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

Maybe Freire needs a mint.

Poppa Catfish

and Tony Bonello got up right in Ninja's face. How did that work out for him?

I think these psychological plays are weak at best, better to focus on their current form and how they match up against each other. I decided to do a straddle with fight not going past the second (+200) and Lowe(even). I think its either Lowe late stoppage/ decision or a round 1 or 2 victory by Freire. If somehow Lowe finishes in the first or second so much the better.
    Last edited by Poppa Catfish; 01-21-11 at 11:11 PM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Doesnt Lowe train at ATT? I cant imagine him being easily intimadated wen he's around the like of Thiago Alves and Thiago Silva on a day to day basis!

Poppa Catfish

For the sake of argument lets say he was intimidated during the weigh ins, so what?

I'm not up to date on my judge scoring, does it go:

Octagon control
    Aggression
    clean strikes
    effective grappling
    Looking intidimating: Growling, menacingly staring down cans, pacing, ******* radical throat slashes

A lot of these guys change their mindset when they get into the cage, but are uncomfortable outside it.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

U know the Thiago Silva throat slash makes Tracey horny, dont underestimate it!