RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

Reasons Why I Think Melvin Will Beat Dunham

jus thinkn about the upcoming fight, i know 90% of the public is taking evan dunham, but lets take a closer look at the fight.

-we can all agree i think that melvin is the better striker and stand up artist. He is super fast and explosive but always packs a very powerful punch. dunham, while very technical, i dont think matches well with melvin on the feet.

-the big misconception in this fight is that dunham is going to destroy melvin on the ground and submit him. but lots of ppl forget melvin now trains with greg jackson and company and has actually fended off many great jiu jitsu artists as of late. glesion tibau and ronnys torres are both great submission artist, but melvin did just fine neutralizing their game. he was even doing ok against nate diaz until he decided to get lazy.

-melvin has a wrestling and judo background, not extensive, but he does have one. so this fight may never even get to the ground.

-is dunahm overrated??? his only notable wins in the octagon are over former tuf cast member efrain escudero, and a SPLIT decision win tyson griffin.

just some things to think about guys. any and all counter arguments are welcome

JediMind87
    JediMind87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

I do agree Guillard has a chance of winning but the only chance is if he can catch Dunham before he gets taken down.Yes ** has a wrestling background but lets face it ED will be able to take him down at will.

Eccocide
    2010 MMA Results: +69.3225 units
    Eccocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderNation MMA View Post
    -is dunahm overrated??? his only notable wins in the octagon are over former tuf cast member efrain escudero, and a SPLIT decision win tyson griffin.

Did you watch the fight vs. Tyson Griffin? That was one of the worst split decisions ever. Dunham dominated the final 2 rounds and it could have been argued he won the first as well. And most ppl would argue he won his last fight vs Sherk. Both of those guys are better wrestlers than Guillard.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

What about the Sherk fight? i know its a loss on his record but!!! The Guillard/Stephens fight could have easilt gone the other way, so the question would be then who has Melvin really beat (Siver? Tibau)

Its really all in how you look at it

RaiderNation MMA

well melvin has certinly faced stiffer competion than dunham. but i guess thats fair too.

i dunno, i guess i just dont think ppl are giving melvin enough credit in this fight

Shane
    Shane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

I remember reading before the Efrain fight (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that Dunham was beasting on guys at Xtreme Couture, and that he was the only one who had any ability to hold Maynard down. If that's the case, then I don't think Melvin's wrestling will help in keeping this on the feet. Dunham is a beast.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I remember reading before the Efrain fight (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that Dunham was beasting on guys at Xtreme Couture, and that he was the only one who had any ability to hold Maynard down. If that's the case, then I don't think Melvin's wrestling will help in keeping this on the feet. Dunham is a beast.
    Yeah and Im pretty sure that they said he was the best conditioned and lifting the heaviest weights out of all the LW's (not tht being able to lift heavy means ur automatically a beast) but shows that despite his unassuming frame he is actually deceptively strong.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

have to admit i`m a dunham admirer....i think he`s an elite talent......love watching him fight...

that said,he has to be careful with guillard...guillard`s gonna try and out box him using his quicks....and like him or not,he has nasty hand and foot speed...

dunham should eventually walk melvin down....but he can`t fall asleep...guillard seems to have the same knack that leonard "face of stone" garcia has with the judges....

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Some guys styles manage to win them undeserved decisions. (See Garcia). IMO, that happened in Guillard's last fight, while the Sherk fight indicates that Dunham may have the opposite problem.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Some guys styles manage to win them undeserved decisions. (See Garcia). IMO, that happened in Guillard's last fight, while the Sherk fight indicates that Dunham may have the opposite problem.
    You've got it right. I watched the Sherk/Dunham fight 2-3 times and while I think Dunham should have gotten the nod... I can see the judges reasons for giving Sherk the W. He was getting tagged on the feet, but in the UFC they give so much damn credit for takedowns. Sherk was very effective at getting Dunham down and controlling him for slightly over 1.5 rds of the fight. Dunham is crisp and flashy at times, and good at pushing the pace, but apparently that isn't enough in the octagon and the judges couldn't care less about how smashed a fighters face looks when it comes to scoring. Dunham's best shot at winning this fight is to catch Guillard late when he's tired and slap on the RNC or guillotine. I have a gut feeling that Melvin will avoid the subs and get a split decision win here. This is one fight I'm looking forward to the most though! Best of luck to everyone on this one!

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

jus thinkn about the upcoming fight, i know 90% of the public is taking evan dunham, but lets take a closer look at the fight.

-we can all agree i think that melvin is the better striker and stand up artist. He is super fast and explosive but always packs a very powerful punch. dunham, while very technical, i dont think matches well with melvin on the feet.

-the big misconception in this fight is that dunham is going to destroy melvin on the ground and submit him. but lots of ppl forget melvin now trains with greg jackson and company and has actually fended off many great jiu jitsu artists as of late. glesion tibau and ronnys torres are both great submission artist, but melvin did just fine neutralizing their game. he was even doing ok against nate diaz until he decided to get lazy.

-melvin has a wrestling and judo background, not extensive, but he does have one. so this fight may never even get to the ground.

Although he is w/ Greg Jackson, he really IS over matched on the ground. While Tibau is obviously a beast, he has 2 submission wins in 12 fights for the UFC.

Ronys Torres was chewed up and spit out for his short stay in the UFC, and then lost a 3rd straight in what should have been a "gimme" if he was at the UFC level.

We still do have to consider his submission loss to Nate Diaz, because I feel his next three fights were not threats on the ground. I would even go as far to say he lost to Jeremy Stephens rather convincingly. Stephens knew he won, the crowd knew he won...Cecil People's and his friend knew that there was a cute guy with ground level seats that needed more attention than the fight.

3. Dunham's Split decision over Tyson was a joke...I could see 29-28 ...but the judge who gave Tyson the fight ( I think his last name was woods) is the same idiot who sided w/ Sherk against Dunham, and several other controversial decisions. He's on Cecil's level as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, I put a small bet on Guillard when he was +300

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

"That being said, I put a small bet on Guillard when he was +300"

when was this? what book?

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

Quote Originally Posted by illmatick View Post
    "That being said, I put a small bet on Guillard when he was +300"

when was this? what book?
    Sorry that was a typo, best you can get him is +205 right now.

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Melvin is the Jamarcus Russell of MMA.
    Points Awarded:

omalley21 gave Chairib 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

RaiderNation MMA

well dunahm may be the strongest lightweight at xtreme coutures, but i highly doubt he is stronger than melvin

i acutally missed the grfffin dunham fight but i see what u guys are saying now.

i still think melvin beat stephens i just felt he did more, but yeah dunham shuda beat sherk

iono i think its gonna a close good fight

RaiderNation MMA

i also dont believe certin styles help you win undeserving decisons, thats silly.

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

i also dont believe certin styles help you win undeserving decisons, thats silly.
    SUP?

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Please tell me you're being sarcastic Petey.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Nate Diaz...............
    "I think the scoring should be like, say a guy gets a takedown, it should count for a takedown for sure. What is a takedown in wrestling, two points? In a grappling match it's two points, so he gets a takedown. But if he takes you down and lands in your closed guard and gets punched in the head forty times, is he still ahead on points? If you're on top, you're winning, and I think it's ridiculous. ... There's round-winners and there's fighters. You know, but in order to be a good UFC fighter or cage fighter I guess I've got to learn how to win the rounds. You've got to not fight. That's what I'm saying. You've got to score. Apparently I've got to grab him and hold him, otherwise he'll just grab and hold me. Everybody is like, ‘you need to work on your wrestling. Maybe I don't need to work on my wrestling. Maybe I just need to do the wrestling and not the fighting."

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Nate Diaz...............
    "I think the scoring should be like, say a guy gets a takedown, it should count for a takedown for sure. What is a takedown in wrestling, two points? In a grappling match it's two points, so he gets a takedown. But if he takes you down and lands in your closed guard and gets punched in the head forty times, is he still ahead on points? If you're on top, you're winning, and I think it's ridiculous. ... There's round-winners and there's fighters. You know, but in order to be a good UFC fighter or cage fighter I guess I've got to learn how to win the rounds. You've got to not fight. That's what I'm saying. You've got to score. Apparently I've got to grab him and hold him, otherwise he'll just grab and hold me. Everybody is like, ‘you need to work on your wrestling. Maybe I don't need to work on my wrestling. Maybe I just need to do the wrestling and not the fighting."
    I got a contact high from your quote.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Styles certainly win guys undeserving decisions. At least what many of us see as undeserving. I rarely ever bet against wrestlers anymore simply b/c they can win a fight by laying on their opponent for 2 out of 3 rounds inflicting minimal damage. It sickens me b/c a guy with great jitz off his back could be landing elbows and constantly go for the subs ( and even come close to submitting), but in the eyes of the judges it's all about who is on top for the most part. As high as Nate Diaz sounds, he makes a decent point with his ramble.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

after looking hard at this one,what stuck out to me was that melvin..in 36 pro fights(many at a relatively high level....a ufc level)...only has ONE decision loss on his ledger.....

in 8 losses,that`s 7 submissions....

so,in a practical sense,if you`re laying the wood on dunham,you`re pretty much betting he subs guillard....

3 of dunham`s last 4 decisions have been splits(fair or not)...so that`s an inidicator that judges have problems seeing dunham a clear winner vs upper level competition...

needless to say,that as a guy that already has dunham in a par,i wagered a little on melvin by decision at almost 6-1 at 5 dimes...

i`m a dunham sdmirer,btw...not much of a guillard fan...

food for thought...
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 01-21-11 at 08:58 AM.

Pride>UFC
    Pride>UFC's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
    Melvin is the Jamarcus Russell of MMA.
    what a stupid thing to say...that an average fighter is terrible just because of how he carries himself. Jamarcus is the biggest NFL bust ever....Guilllard at least knocks people out

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Guillard by DEC is now +500 on bodog. I'm in.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    Guillard by DEC is now +500 on bodog. I'm in.
    It was as high as +623 yesterday evening on 5dimes

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by lasker View Post
    It was as high as +623 yesterday evening on 5dimes
    Some of us in the US are limited to which sites we can bet on. Unfortunately bodog is one of my only options. 5dimes pissed me off so bad, I won't deal w/ them again as they won't let me make a deposit w/ my current acct and won't let me open a new one. The prop lines just opened on bodog.
    Last edited by sirchadwick1; 01-21-11 at 01:00 PM.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    Some of us in the US are limited to which sites we can bet on. Unfortunately bodog is one of my only options. 5dimes pissed me off so bad, I won't deal w/ them again as they won't let me make a deposit w/ my current acct and won't let me open a new one. The prop lines just opened on bodog.
    Oh, I see. I'm in the U.S. too, but haven't had any problems with 5dimes so far

RaiderNation MMA

well if john fitch sits on top of ya for 15 minutes and u cant get up, then he should indeed win.

RaiderNation MMA

unless ur doing something impressive on the ground

playa420
    playa420's Avatar Become A Pro!

it should be a close fight, and theres some value on gulliard as +200 dog

flickavic
    Lets Go Skins !!!
    flickavic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

i took Guillard at +205. I think the longer hes with jackson the better..

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

I see Dunham winning this.

SweatySombrero
    SweatySombrero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 224

yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Yeah and Im pretty sure that they said he was the best conditioned and lifting the heaviest weights out of all the LW's (not tht being able to lift heavy means ur automatically a beast) but shows that despite his unassuming frame he is actually deceptively strong.

o yeah, all the time..

RaiderNation MMA

the winner of this fight is the next big thing