View Poll Results: Interesting Heavyweight fight. Who ya got?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pat Barry

14 82.35%
  • Joey Beltran

3 17.65%
    NickBaragona
    NickBaragona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

POLL: Pat Barry vs Joey Beltran (UFN 23)

Interesting heavyweight fight. Who ya got?

bracerman
    bracerman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3404

I'm leaning towards Barry, hopefully he learned a lesson from his love fest with Cro-Cop and will stick to business.

This will be Beltran's 10th fight inside 2 years and his 4th within a year for the UFC. At what what point does the constant training start to hinder a fighter?

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Berry is coming off some major injuries though, I think here is a good spot just to sit back and figure where these fighters are at. Don't need to bet them all, but if I was forced to pick here I would take the dog.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

They both like to stand and bang. The main difference is that Barry is an accomplished striker. If Barry works a little on his takedown defense and submission defense this should be a fairly easy win for him.

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

i got barry.

Shane
    Shane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

I like Barry here. Hug the guy after he wakes up this time, Pat.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

I think Barry wins fairly easily.

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

I think Beltran has a great shot at winning this one.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

Joey Beltran was gettig picked apart by Mitrione on the feet and Barry is on another level in the standup. Only question is if Barry is healthy

snake11eyes
    snake11eyes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 577

Quote Originally Posted by lasker View Post
    I think Barry wins fairly easily.
    I'll wait and see if I can get -180 at fight time, but still like him at -200.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

i don`t trust barry....i overrated him vs a very old crocop....

can`t lay better than 2-1 here...but i`ll be rooting for you guys...

Squareguy

Mitrione may have got the better of the stand up against Beltran, but he also has an 82 inch reach.

Beltran knows it's do or die here, he may stand up for the first round, but it's not his only tool in the bag.

Can't say the same for Barry, who was choked out by an aging Crocop with no hooks in.
    Last edited by Squareguy; 01-16-11 at 08:44 PM.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Quote Originally Posted by Squareguy View Post
    Mitrione may have got the better of the stand up against Beltran, but he also has an 82 inch reach. Beltran knows it's do or die here, he may stand up for the first round, but it's not his only tool in the bag. Can't say the same for Barry, who was choked out by an aging Crocop with no hooks in.
    He claimed that he had broke his hand and his foot earlier in the fight. He may have been looking for a way out when he tapped.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by Squareguy View Post
    Mitrione may have got the better of the stand up against Beltran, but he also has an 82 inch reach. Beltran knows it's do or die here, he may stand up for the first round, but it's not his only tool in the bag. Can't say the same for Barry, who was choked out by an aging Crocop with no hooks in.
    Beltran is not much more versatile than Barry, imo. He has one submission win from 2007, and the rest of his wins are KO's or decisions. He has stated repeatedly in interviews that he plans to go toe-to-toe and "give the fans what they want to see," and I see no reason not to take him at his word since that's what he always does. He's a tough-nosed brawler, he might be hard to put away but in a stand-up war I can't imagine him getting the better of it against a striker of Barry's caliber. Barry is twice the striker Mitrione is, even without the reach, and Mitrione outstruck Beltran. That doesn't bode well for the Mexicutioner.

Maybe I'll have to eat my words, but I really think this is a mismatch. Also, according to Duke Roufus Barry has been working a lot on his takedown and submission defense since his last fight, and is showing marked improvement. Beltran will not submit Barry; I'm not concerned about that at all.
    Last edited by lasker; 01-16-11 at 10:18 PM.

Squareguy

Quote Originally Posted by bracerman View Post
    I'm leaning towards Barry, hopefully he learned a lesson from his love fest with Cro-Cop and will stick to business.

This will be Beltran's 10th fight inside 2 years and his 4th within a year for the UFC. At what what point does the constant training start to hinder a fighter?
    I don't think the 10 fights in 2 years will be an issue. Just ask Travis Fulton.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Travis-Fulton-80

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think barry is going to murder beltran. i honestly dont think beltran belongs in the ufc at all. he has some wins but i have NEVER been impressed with him.

Poppa Catfish

true, but on the other hand Barry has been impressive in how easily he can throw a match away. Not exactly a great attribute for a heavy favorite

rocky mattioli

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    true, but on the other hand Barry has been impressive in how easily he can throw a match away. Not exactly a great attribute for a heavy favorite

this....

barry has more ability...talent.....i admit i`m tempted ...beltran is a bit of a plugger...a pug......but,i honestly think beltran is more durable..tougher...has a stronger will to win...

if the "kick" were banned for this fight,i`d be all over beltran at those odds.....but obviously,kicking is allowed....and that`s barry`s ace-in-the hole here...he can change a fight....debilitate an opponent in pretty short order with those kicks...

i was very high on barry after hardonk...but his odd behavior prior to crocop...the crying after wins..some of his odd comments....

he`s a guy that can shock you vs people he shouldn`t beat...and disappoint the hell out of you vs guys you think he out-classes...and that`s why i`m hesitant...

btw..i`m very glad the holidays are over...i`ve missed reading all the solid posts and respectful debates on upcoming fights(now that the fights are actually happening again)....

looking forward to a great year with the help of the big mma brains we have here...

i have a drawer full of surplus boxer shorts with more intrinsic mma-neuron power than the majority of the forums at some of the major mma boards...
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 01-17-11 at 10:10 AM.

KCJMAC
    MMA
    KCJMAC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

I liked Barry, until I read this interview: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/01/1...very-stupid-t/

Not sure where his head is at.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Barry's head has never been on straight, but I think he's got this one. Hell I think he jokes around a lot w/ what he says and never takes himself seriously a la Forrest Griffin. It wasn't too long ago that he said something along the lines of how he FINALLY realizes that he has to train with BIGGER guys to get better w/ his ground game - he said that he had been training with Anthony Pettis and it wasn't a challenge. I don't believe it for a second. I do think Barry will be a little hesitant in the 1st rd throwing a punch after breaking his hand in his last fight. However, that leads me to believe he's game planning w/ a ton of leg kicks and one of those is eventually going to take its toll on Beltran. Mitrione landed some hard leg kicks against Beltran and Pats kicks much harder. I like Barry to win via TKO in the 3rd. Forget the CC fight (since Barry hurt himself early and didn't look the same)... but go back and watch the Hardonk fight. He started slow, but poured in on in the 2nd rd and looked great. I think he finds an opening against Beltran and does the same. Beltran is durable, but he's slow and swings with his eyes closed with little technique. The only thing that worries me is Pat's ground game. He seems to get discouraged and almost give up when he's on his back. I have faith that he's been working on it though and made improvements. Lucky for Pat here, Beltran hasn't subbed anyone in 4 years and only has 1 sub on his resume.

2.5u on Barry to win 1u

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    this....

barry has more ability...talent.....i admit i`m tempted ...beltran is a bit of a plugger...a pug......but,i honestly think beltran is more durable..tougher...has a stronger will to win...

if the "kick" were banned for this fight,i`d be all over beltran at those odds.....but obviously,kicking is allowed....and that`s barry`s ace-in-the hole here...he can change a fight....debilitate an opponent in pretty short order with those kicks...

i was very high on barry after hardonk...but his odd behavior prior to crocop...the crying after wins..some of his odd comments....

he`s a guy that can shock you vs people he shouldn`t beat...and disappoint the hell out of you vs guys you think he out-classes...and that`s why i`m hesitant...

btw..i`m very glad the holidays are over...i`ve missed reading all the solid posts and respectful debates on upcoming fights(now that the fights are actually happening again)....

looking forward to a great year with the help of the big mma brains we have here...

i have a drawer full of surplus boxer shorts with more intrinsic mma-neuron power than the majority of the forums at some of the major mma boards...
    I find it interesting that the very next post is SirChadwick comparing Barry to Forrest. I never really thought about it but these guys are very much alike. These guys are great underdogs that could upset fighters of the likes of Rampage, Shogun, etc but also can disappoint against the likes of Jardine.

Anyways I think you nailed it, this guy is an underdog bet only.

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

I'm having a vision of Barry via TKO due to referee stoppage when Beltran can no longer walk... ala Barboza vs Lullo.

Squareguy

Just put 2 units on Beltran.

Even my other forum is all on Barry, but I can't wrap my head around him winning.

rocky mattioli

if beltran`s smart,he`ll use that high school/greco wrestling base as soon as possible in this fight....try and get barry on his back and make him take some early punishment....

""I would definately say I'm a scrapper with a strong wrestling base. I definately have worked to clean up my technique and my Jiu Jitsu is coming along. But as soon as I get hit in the face, it is no longer a sport. It is personal. And I am going to try to break someones face!""

but something tells me that beltran isn`t exactly a tactician....

Poppa Catfish

I hear he is an expert in catch as catch CAN wrestling