rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

phan -125....can he get shafted again?

i don`t know...but i`m more than happy with this line....as much as i admire garcia`s heart,he looks sloppier and sloppier with every fight...he was throwing shots vs phan that were missing by a foot...

i think phan is a middlin` fighter...but garcia never seems to adjust...you get the same thing fight after fight(from a fighter who is rapidly becoming totally used up).......phan,though not a top tier fighter,is a well-rounded guy skill-wise that can adjust......i see him making the necessary agjustments to either stop garcia or win a comfy decision...really nam,just up the work rate a tad..

-125 is very reasonable,imo
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 01-14-11 at 08:26 AM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    win a comfy decision...
    Unfotunately this will never happen when Bad Boy Garcia is involved! Nam Pham may well go and beat on Garcia for three rounds like what Maynard did to Frankie in their first round and he'd still probly only get a split-decision!

RollPlayer
    RollPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!

I also really like this line. One thing that sticks out to me is the fact that the judges will know that there was controversy in the last fight and will likely watch the previous one to see what the uproar was about. Because of this I dont think Garcia will be able to steal a split decision again (unless Cecil Peoples is judging )

danso
    danso's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3036

Good analysis on this one guys. I think -125 is a pretty good price for Nam considering how well he performed in the last bout. And RollPlayer brought up the great point that the judges will be paying some extra attention because of the controversy from the first fight!

snake11eyes
    snake11eyes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 577

Yes he will get shafted again.

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

Garcia gets so many gifts, it's really hard to say.

I'm going to put a large bet on Phan though.

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6172

Beware the magic powers Garcia has when it comes to the judges. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see another split DEC go in his favor.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Garcia will fight the same way and as always the judges favor that style. Unless Phan can do something even more convincing in the fight a close split decision could happen. At the price though Phan is still a good bet.

clarkd32
    clarkd32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

agree with rollplayer... judges will give this to Phan if it is close at all.

waco66
    Canucks -1.5
    waco66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

garcia got this.

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Quote Originally Posted by waco66 View Post
    garcia got this.

Straight Cash
    Straight Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Phan will take a decision, like he did the first time.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Phan's striking is much better than Garcia's and he should have won the first fight via UD. Garcia is past his peak and I don't see him fixing the holes in his game at this point (mainly the wild looping punches that can't find a target). Phan will keep it on the feet again, dance around and pick his strikes wisely. Just hoping the judges don't screw it up this time.

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Quote Originally Posted by RollPlayer View Post
    I also really like this line. One thing that sticks out to me is the fact that the judges will know that there was controversy in the last fight and will likely watch the previous one to see what the uproar was about. Because of this I dont think Garcia will be able to steal a split decision again (unless Cecil Peoples is judging )

This is what i was thinking when i booked phan at -115. But then i wonder, do some of these mma judges even watch mma fights?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by terpkeg View Post
    This is what i was thinking when i booked phan at -115. But then i wonder, do some of these mma judges even watch mma fights?
    Ha yeah I think people are being a bit optimistic/naive if they think the judges will take the last shambles in to account!

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Garcia by decision is becoming as good as a bet as Fitch by decision.

rocky mattioli

one thing i`ll give garcia..what little defense he has,is his offense....

i rewatched homonick and leonard...and he actually kept hominick from totally beclowning him by sheer volume of punches and kicks...

he actually kept hominick`s workrate way below it`s usual level because of the fear of all those strikes(as off the mark as 90% of them were)....even when he tires around mid-second round(as he usually does),he throws many shots with full power....and it has a tendency to keep some guys honest...

hominick was playing with him...he was basically unmarked afterward...but he had to be prudent because he had an awful lot of junk coming at him...

same with phan...

if the judges actually watched the fights with a sharp eye for "effective" aggression,garcia`s split decisions would never have happened....

BUT.....the guy does tend to keep his opponents(the ones that pride themselves on their technical striking) a tad honest...nobody wants to get caught with those wild kicks and punches because they were careless...

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

one thing i`ll give garcia..what little defense he has,is his offense....

i rewatched homonick and leonard...and he actually kept hominick from totally beclowning him by sheer volume of punches and kicks...

he actually kept hominick`s workrate way below it`s usual level because of the fear of all those strikes(as off the mark as 90% of them were)....
    You're right Rocky, but bare in mind that Hominick had a broken hand so was reliant on his jab in tht fight. I think he'd of thrown more body shots and hooks causing more damage had his hand been in good condition.

rocky mattioli

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    You're right Rocky, but bare in mind that Hominick had a broken hand so was reliant on his jab in tht fight. I think he'd of thrown more body shots and hooks causing more damage had his hand been in good condition.

i`m with you,brother...hominick and phan both hurt garcia with ganchos to the body...

i have dunham/hominick parred(with the hdege on a melvin decision)....

now watch melvin dummy dunham....

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

i`m with you,brother...hominick and phan both hurt garcia with ganchos to the body...

i have dunham/hominick parred(with the hdege on a melvin decision)....

now watch melvin dummy dunham....
    Seems pretty solid to me, I personally dont see Melvin TKO/KO'ing Dunham due to Dunham's reach and Melvin's more elusive/cautious style nowadays...tending to not 'sit down' on his punches as much...at least it seemed tht way against Stephens, he may well adopt a completely different strategy against Dunham