Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

Why Brock vs. Junior Dos Santos is stupid

Brock is coming off a brutal loss to Cain in which he got destroyed in the first round. Brock was the UFC poster boy coming into that fight and he got embarrassed in the first round.

Wouldn't it be smart for Brock to fight an easier fight to get a win (and some confidence) back? I guess not.

Junior Dos Santos was set to face Cain for the Heavyweight title.. So instead what does he got? He gets the guy Cain destroyed in the first round. Absolutely stupid!

So what happens if Brock does win? He has to fight Cain again? Seriously? Do we really want to see Brock get destroyed by Cain again in the first round? I don't.. I don't want to see that. I know I can't be alone in this.

I will be even more pissed if this is for an "interim" belt. Brock doesn't deserve to fight for an interim belt. No more than Rogers deserved to fight Overeem after he lost to Fedor.

Great way to counter the Strikeforce Hw Gp Zuffa!

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

nope

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Why does the strikeforce HW gp need to be countered? Do you really think its going to happen? Lots of patting Strikeforce on the back for something that hasn't happened yet, hell for all we know this is just another pipe dream.

I mean how did Strikeforce's Middleweight GP turn out? Really well you say? Cool, so who won?

Even if you ignore SF's inability to get their fighters to fight, you would also have to overlook injurie as well in order to get hyped about this event. Not to mention that 1 of the competitors isn't even cleared by state commissions to fight.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
    nope
    well aren't you so mysterious?

and right too

Jordan23

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    Why does the strikeforce HW gp need to be countered? Do you really think its going to happen? Lots of patting Strikeforce on the back for something that hasn't happened yet, hell for all we know this is just another pipe dream. I mean how did Strikeforce's Middleweight GP turn out? Really well you say? Cool, so who won? Even if you ignore SF's inability to get their fighters to fight, you would also have to overlook injurie as well in order to get hyped about this event. Not to mention that 1 of the competitors isn't even cleared by state commissions to fight.
    Strikeforce HW gp is happening. I understand your speculation for thinking otherwise.. but the first two bouts are taking place in one month.

And it doesn't change the fact that I still don't want to see Dos Santos/Lesnar and think it's a stupid fight to make.

smarmy
    SBR Lurker
    smarmy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 274

I had read that Brock only had one fight left on his contract and wasn't interested in fulfilling it. Now he is going to coach TUF and gets to fight for the #1 contender spot. Wonder what Dana had to give him to get him to go along with it.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

brock is ognna beat jds. hopefully he makes major improvements before taking on cain though.

Eccocide
    2010 MMA Results: +69.3225 units
    Eccocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

How can you complain about the matchup? Everyone else is booked and JDS needed to fight. Why keep the number one contender on hold for who knows how long? It was Brock or Carwin. Simple as that. Would you rather JDS fight the guy Lesnar subbed?

And MMA is all about stylistic matchups. Cain was able to "destroy" Brock because he could counter his wrestling. We haven't seen anything from JDS on the ground. How is his TDD? What about his BJJ or how is he off his back? This fight is a perfect indicator for how he would handle a fight against Cain. Plus its a huge ratings draw on TUF, introduces JDS to casual fans and builds up his character. It's the smartest decision the UFC could make.

As for countering the Strikeforce Tourny - there's no reason to. Its not even a tourny. Fedor was supposed to fight Silva for the number 1 contender for the last 6 months but didnt happen because of M-1 elite negotiations. Werdum was supposed to fight Overeem for the title but Overeem has been perusing in Japan. That side of the bracket was going to happen regardless if you call it a tourny or not. The other side is just filler to persuade ppl into thinking of this as some sort of Pride reincarnate.

And if you want to make an argument for pointless matchups - Werdum has beaten Overeem, Fedor and Silva, the entire side of his bracket. Does that mean those fights aren't exciting and the match-making is retarded? Also, JDS stomped Werdum in a matter of seconds. If Lesnar goes out and beats JDS, what will that say about this epic tourny (not that I believe in MMA math). I like the tourny matchups, I like the idea, but i think ppl are making it out to be a much bigger deal that ir really is. I love great, new, refreshing matchups. I don't want to see Mir-Lesnar for the 3rd time. I don't even want to see Lesnar-Carwin for the second time yet. And I definitely don't want JDS to be sitting for 16 months waiting for Cain to heal. This is a matchup I wanted to see eventually, so I'm glad its happening regardless of the circumstances.

Oh and you can say the UFC had a HW tourny if you really wanted to:

Quarters:
    Lesnar vs Carwin
    Cain vs Nog
    Nelson vs Struve
    JDS vs Gonzaga

Semis:
    Lesnar vs Cain
    JDS vs Nelson

Finals:
    JDS vs Cain - Cain gets injured. Lets call in an alternate with Cain fighting the winner.

JDS vs Lesnar - winner fights Cain.

If the UFC had called this a tourny, would some MMA fans have got ape-shit like they are over the Strikeforce "tourny"?

Jordan23

Quote Originally Posted by Eccocide View Post
    How can you complain about the matchup? Everyone else is booked and JDS needed to fight. Why keep the number one contender on hold for who knows how long? It was Brock or Carwin. Simple as that. Would you rather JDS fight the guy Lesnar subbed? And MMA is all about stylistic matchups. Cain was able to "destroy" Brock because he could counter his wrestling. We haven't seen anything from JDS on the ground. How is his TDD? What about his BJJ or how is he off his back? This fight is a perfect indicator for how he would handle a fight against Cain. Plus its a huge ratings draw on TUF, introduces JDS to casual fans and builds up his character. It's the smartest decision the UFC could make. As for countering the Strikeforce Tourny - there's no reason to. Its not even a tourny. Fedor was supposed to fight Silva for the number 1 contender for the last 6 months but didnt happen because of M-1 elite negotiations. Werdum was supposed to fight Overeem for the title but Overeem has been perusing in Japan. That side of the bracket was going to happen regardless if you call it a tourny or not. The other side is just filler to persuade ppl into thinking of this as some sort of Pride reincarnate. And if you want to make an argument for pointless matchups - Werdum has beaten Overeem, Fedor and Silva, the entire side of his bracket. Does that mean those fights aren't exciting and the match-making is retarded? Also, JDS stomped Werdum in a matter of seconds. If Lesnar goes out and beats JDS, what will that say about this epic tourny (not that I believe in MMA math). I like the tourny matchups, I like the idea, but i think ppl are making it out to be a much bigger deal that ir really is. I love great, new, refreshing matchups. I don't want to see Mir-Lesnar for the 3rd time. I don't even want to see Lesnar-Carwin for the second time yet. And I definitely don't want JDS to be sitting for 16 months waiting for Cain to heal. This is a matchup I wanted to see eventually, so I'm glad its happening regardless of the circumstances. Oh and you can say the UFC had a HW tourny if you really wanted to: Quarters: Lesnar vs Carwin Cain vs Nog Nelson vs Struve JDS vs Gonzaga Semis: Lesnar vs Cain JDS vs Nelson Finals: JDS vs Cain - Cain gets injured. Lets call in an alternate with Cain fighting the winner. JDS vs Lesnar - winner fights Cain. If the UFC had called this a tourny, would some MMA fans have got ape-shit like they are over the Strikeforce "tourny"?
    I agree with you. And I have cooled off a lot since it was announced. I overreacted at first. But now I kind of understand why the UFC is making this fight.

No matter what though Brock is going to have to improve from where he was against Cain. If he comes out with his sloppy, projected takedowns against JDS I believe he is going to eat an uppercut and go fetal. You have to think Junior's entire camp is going to be preparing for a projected, non set up takedown from Brock.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Eccocide View Post
    How can you complain about the matchup? Everyone else is booked and JDS needed to fight. Why keep the number one contender on hold for who knows how long? It was Brock or Carwin. Simple as that. Would you rather JDS fight the guy Lesnar subbed?

And MMA is all about stylistic matchups. Cain was able to "destroy" Brock because he could counter his wrestling. We haven't seen anything from JDS on the ground. How is his TDD? What about his BJJ or how is he off his back? This fight is a perfect indicator for how he would handle a fight against Cain. Plus its a huge ratings draw on TUF, introduces JDS to casual fans and builds up his character. It's the smartest decision the UFC could make.

As for countering the Strikeforce Tourny - there's no reason to. Its not even a tourny. Fedor was supposed to fight Silva for the number 1 contender for the last 6 months but didnt happen because of M-1 elite negotiations. Werdum was supposed to fight Overeem for the title but Overeem has been perusing in Japan. That side of the bracket was going to happen regardless if you call it a tourny or not. The other side is just filler to persuade ppl into thinking of this as some sort of Pride reincarnate.

And if you want to make an argument for pointless matchups - Werdum has beaten Overeem, Fedor and Silva, the entire side of his bracket. Does that mean those fights aren't exciting and the match-making is retarded? Also, JDS stomped Werdum in a matter of seconds. If Lesnar goes out and beats JDS, what will that say about this epic tourny (not that I believe in MMA math). I like the tourny matchups, I like the idea, but i think ppl are making it out to be a much bigger deal that ir really is. I love great, new, refreshing matchups. I don't want to see Mir-Lesnar for the 3rd time. I don't even want to see Lesnar-Carwin for the second time yet. And I definitely don't want JDS to be sitting for 16 months waiting for Cain to heal. This is a matchup I wanted to see eventually, so I'm glad its happening regardless of the circumstances.

Oh and you can say the UFC had a HW tourny if you really wanted to:

Quarters:
    Lesnar vs Carwin
    Cain vs Nog
    Nelson vs Struve
    JDS vs Gonzaga

Semis:
    Lesnar vs Cain
    JDS vs Nelson

Finals:
    JDS vs Cain - Cain gets injured. Lets call in an alternate with Cain fighting the winner.

JDS vs Lesnar - winner fights Cain.

If the UFC had called this a tourny, would some MMA fans have got ape-shit like they are over the Strikeforce "tourny"?

Amen brother Ecco!

and to answer your question, no they wouldn't have got as excited. UFC is squaresville daddio, Strikeforce and Dream are the hip and cool mma underground. You just don't get it, man.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Does JDS speak any english? He is he going to be able to coach?

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post
    Does JDS speak any english? He is he going to be able to coach?
    If he does speak English I would imagine he does so very poorly. There are a great deal of brazilian BJJ coaches here on the West Coast that barely speak english, we do just fine. Yoshida and other black belts come in from Japan to give judo seminars and they don't do it in english. In a pinch they can always use an interpretor.

There are other ways to communicate

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

His English is basic but he'll be able to get by same way as Nog did. They'll be relyin on Lesnar to do most of the "entertaining".

kiefynugs
    Update your status
    kiefynugs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

he V whats that website you use to track betting lines from different books?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by kiefynugs View Post
    he V whats that website you use to track betting lines from different books?
    bestfightodds.com for U.S sites and Pinnacle, and Oddschecker.com for EU sites.