Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

Boxing fans, please explain to me why Pacquiao/Mayweather is not going to happen

I've only followed the story a little, so I don't know the answer... I'm VERY curious why a fight that everyone in the world wants to see and that would earn them both a RIDICULOUS payday seems like it's never gonna happen.

Thanks.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

No one?

nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not exactly a boxing aficionado, but from what I heard, Mayweather is the one that is ducking right now and he currently has some legal issues to deal with right now too. It looked like it was close to happening before pacquiao-margarito, but there were issues with Pacquiao agreeing to an Olympic style blood testing. But ya, this fight just doesn't look like it's ever going to happen, which would be a huge shame because this would be the perfect time to do it as there's not really anyone else for these 2 to fight, which is evident by the fact pacquiao will be fighting mosley next.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

mayweather is scared to fight. he is smart. retire as a champ

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
    I've only followed the story a little, so I don't know the answer... I'm VERY curious why a fight that everyone in the world wants to see and that would earn them both a RIDICULOUS payday seems like it's never gonna happen.

Thanks.
    Cause Floyd will be in jail

sundin4prez
    sundin4prez's Avatar Become A Pro!

mayweathers legal troubles, wanting to keep his perfect record, some people saying he's "ducking"

pac not agreeing to olympic blood testing on the day of

overall just a cluster **** of issues preventing a fight that everyone wants to see....

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

It might have something to do with any one of Floyd's legal issues unfortunately.

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11806

pacman agreed to everything mayweather wanted, and mayweather still said no. he wants no part of pacman

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by INVEGA MAN View Post
    pacman agreed to everything mayweather wanted, and mayweather still said no. he wants no part of pacman
    Yeah, guess that's the bottom line -- he's afraid to lose. Still, I thought money made the world go round. Surprised he would turn down this chunk of change.

Flexin
    Flexin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 51

Quote Originally Posted by INVEGA MAN View Post
    No he didn't. I don't believe Mayweather is afraid of Pacman. I also don't believe that Pacman is afraid of Mayweather. They both wanted the upper hand and screwed the fight up twice. Thats why it didn't happen then.

It might not be happening now because of legal trouble.

As far as Mosley getting the fight. I feel he deserves it. They have both done a lot in this sport and I feel they should fight. I'm a fan of both fighters. I'm glad this fight is going to happen.

Mayweather would have been my first chose.

If Mayweather is available to fight he should be one of the choices to fight the winner.

The other fighter that should be in the mix is Andre Berto.

James

Rod1010
    Rod1010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

boxing is a joke thats why

snake11eyes
    snake11eyes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 577

Neither guy wants to fight the other that's why its not going to happen.

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6172

Quote Originally Posted by Rod1010 View Post
    boxing is a joke thats why

Rod1010
    Rod1010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

just stop watching pillow fights and start watching MMA . enjoy

rem sleep
    rem sleep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18831

Mayweather is the one that always causes this megafight to not happen. The first time the fight was a done deal until mayweather wanted osdt up until the day of the fight which has NEVER been done in the history of boxing. Pacquiao's latest stance on drug testing is he will take it before, during and after the fight (In between the 6th and 7th round) but Mayweather is facing multiple felonies and misdemeanors with a real possibility of jail time so again, mayweather is the one causing this fight not to happen.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10464

much higher chance of a lost if he gets in ring with pac than at any other time in his life

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

Plain and simple Mayweather is afraid. He'll just keep finding a new excuse every 6 months or so.

Handjuice
    Handjuice's Avatar Become A Pro!

floyd's legal troubles at the moment

i'm so sick of hearing about this fight that i wish they would just get it over with already. In all likelyhood it would end being a clinic put on by Floyd anyway.

There are other fights on the horizon that are more interesting like Froch-Johnson, Juanma-Gamboa, Haye-Wlad, Bradley-Alexander etc..Pacquiao gets to much fukking media attention these days.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

You guys are all clueless. Mayweather and pacquiao will never happen.

1. Mayweather and pacquiao can fight c fighters with relatively no risk and still make 20 million a fight.

2. If mayweather loses his stock may go down drastically because he would not be undefeated anymore and we know that a ton of his promotion and hype is based on him being undefeated.

3. bob arum really doesnt want floyd to fight manny because if manny loses bob arum will lose millions.

4. floyd is getting old and his reflections are not once what they were... even though imo floyd is in another class. floyd is not just hand speed like manny. floyd is a chessmaster he will read your soul and than adapt to you. manny has been beating up slow washed up fuks that flyd beat for the past 3 years.

5. the fans are not smart enought o boycott fights.... if eeryone doesnt buy the ppv for pacquiao mosley and pacman makes 100,000 for the fight u see how quick he will be to the doctors to take the olympic style blood testing for 25 million dollars.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33438

Reason 1: Mayweather's current legal problems are why it isn't happening now. It didn't happen before because of:

Reason 2: Bob Arum. Pacquiao's greedy promoter does everything he can to keep his top stars fighting "in house." Since Mayweather (as well as Berto, Marquez, and Williams) aren't promoted by Arum, he wouldn't be able to horde all the promotional cut for himself if Pacquiao fought relevant opponents. Arum is why Pacquiao has fought needless fights his last two times out. The problem is worsened by the fact that Arum personally hates Mayweather, and the feeling appears to be mutual. Also...

Reason 3: When the deal appeared closest to being done last spring, it was derailed over a steroid testing issue. Mayweather insisted on a somewhat bizarre demand for random blood tests in addition to urine tests. The blood tests can apparently be masked just as easily as urine tests, so it was a pointless demand. Pacquiao, however, refused to concede to the demand because he blames his 2005 loss to Erik Morales on having blood drawn prior to the fight. Arum offered Mayweather a compromise that there would be random blood testing, but it would stop IIRC a week before the fight. Mayweather wouldn't budge, and that's why the fight didn't take place last spring.

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by Rod1010 View Post
    just stop watching pillow fights and start watching MMA . enjoy
    LOL. Have you ever been hit with one of those pillows? I would guess no after that comment.

James

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    You guys are all clueless. Mayweather and pacquiao will never happen. 1. Mayweather and pacquiao can fight c fighters with relatively no risk and still make 20 million a fight. 2. If mayweather loses his stock may go down drastically because he would not be undefeated anymore and we know that a ton of his promotion and hype is based on him being undefeated. 3. bob arum really doesnt want floyd to fight manny because if manny loses bob arum will lose millions. 4. floyd is getting old and his reflections are not once what they were... even though imo floyd is in another class. floyd is not just hand speed like manny. floyd is a chessmaster he will read your soul and than adapt to you. manny has been beating up slow washed up fuks that flyd beat for the past 3 years. 5. the fans are not smart enought o boycott fights.... if eeryone doesnt buy the ppv for pacquiao mosley and pacman makes 100,000 for the fight u see how quick he will be to the doctors to take the olympic style blood testing for 25 million dollars.
    They will make much more fighting each other. And with both only fighting a few more fights each they would be looking to make them count IMO.

This is only half right. It only hurts him if he gets dominated. If he loses a hard fought fight it would do a lot for him. When has he really been in trouble? When has he had to fight for his life, try to make it 12 rounds and hope for the win like Gatti-Ward? A loss to Manny in that way could bring Mayweather some fans he wouldn't have had if he dominates Manny. In the end the best thing is for him to win of course but he will still be fine after the fight no matter what.

Manny is only fighting about 3 more fights, Mosley being one of them. Bob will want the biggest payday possible.

Floyd is fine. I don't think you can see anything that says he has lost a step yet.

Who is clueless? There is no way Manny gets paid 100000 for the Mosley fight. The promoters are the ones that will lose money. And I feel this fight between Manny-Mosley should happen so its a bad fight to boycott if any. Mayweather isn't available to fight right now so give Manny a hand for not waiting and jumping back in the ring.

James

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Reason 1: Mayweather's current legal problems are why it isn't happening now. It didn't happen before because of: Reason 2: Bob Arum. Pacquiao's greedy promoter does everything he can to keep his top stars fighting "in house." Since Mayweather (as well as Berto, Marquez, and Williams) aren't promoted by Arum, he wouldn't be able to horde all the promotional cut for himself if Pacquiao fought relevant opponents. Arum is why Pacquiao has fought needless fights his last two times out. The problem is worsened by the fact that Arum personally hates Mayweather, and the feeling appears to be mutual. Also... Reason 3: When the deal appeared closest to being done last spring, it was derailed over a steroid testing issue. Mayweather insisted on a somewhat bizarre demand for random blood tests in addition to urine tests. The blood tests can apparently be masked just as easily as urine tests, so it was a pointless demand. Pacquiao, however, refused to concede to the demand because he blames his 2005 loss to Erik Morales on having blood drawn prior to the fight. Arum offered Mayweather a compromise that there would be random blood testing, but it would stop IIRC a week before the fight. Mayweather wouldn't budge, and that's why the fight didn't take place last spring.
    Different promoters has been a problem for a long time IMO. Sometimes they help but more times then not they hurt things. Look at Don King. Don wanted to put his hands in your pocket for x number of fights after if you fought his fighters. Some just get greedy.

You do have to look at it from their side at times. It is a business. They have to look out for that business. But they have the ability to make great fights and profit from them.

James

BobHarvey
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 380

Simply put, greed. More complicated is Floyd might be in prison this year.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Some good insight in here, thanks.

My thing is, I would think that if you're a true competitor, you WANT to fight against the best. You don't worry about losing or about looking bad or tarnishing your record. And as someone said, Floyd would have a ton to gain by fighting a good fight.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Ian is the only one who gave you the real reason this fight is not happening........BOB ARUM. Arum hates Mayweather with a passion. Floyd left his company and made a fortune without Arum. The blood testing was all a bunch of bullshit. Floyd could have cared less about it. Nobody in Floyd's camp really thought Manny was on anything illegal. They just wanted to get in Manny's head and screw with Arum. The fight isn't happening because Arum refuses to give Floyd a fair cut of ppv revenue. Floyd is the bigger ppv draw and should be getting at the very least a 50/50 split. Arum is not giving him that. He'll hem and haw and say he has made fair offers, but when you are telling people you are offering a 50/50 split and on paper showing 70/30 for you and your fighter, you end up without a fight.

Would love to see the fight before either guy has a major skill decline. Right now Floyd is too big, too fast and too smart in the ring to lose to Manny.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Some good insight in here, thanks.

My thing is, I would think that if you're a true competitor, you WANT to fight against the best. You don't worry about losing or about looking bad or tarnishing your record. And as someone said, Floyd would have a ton to gain by fighting a good fight.
    Agree 100%. I think both guys just want to get fair market value for their work. I'd like to see a 40/40 purse split with the remaining 20 to go to the winner. There would be a rematch to make both guys more money too.

colchonero10
    colchonero10's Avatar Become A Pro!

because bob arum would rather keep everything in-house.

Vrakas
    Vrakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8912

if these guys wanted to fight each other then it would have happened.

Flexin

Some good insight in here, thanks. My thing is, I would think that if you're a true competitor, you WANT to fight against the best. You don't worry about losing or about looking bad or tarnishing your record. And as someone said, Floyd would have a ton to gain by fighting a good fight.
    The are competitors but its business as well. They you toss in some ego and its an explosive mix. Some fighters will argue over who is the one that will be selling the fight. They want the bigger cut and that can stop good fights in some cases.

I feel when it comes down to money, fight for it in the ring. In golf, if you want the big bucks you need to win. So I say do a 60/40 or 70/30 split. Winner takes the bigger cut. If someone is holding a belt give them 10% off the top, then do the split with the 90%.

James

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by Vrakas View Post
    if these guys wanted to fight each other then it would have happened.
    If only it was that easy.

James

pimp s.b.n
    pimp s.b.n's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't know

pmidy88
    Brett Favre Best QB of All Times
    pmidy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

all i know is that fight better happen

99Boxster
    99Boxster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4394

Quote Originally Posted by pimp s.b.n View Post
    I don't know
    This post is definately HALL OF FAME MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!!!

pimp s.b.n
    pimp s.b.n's Avatar Become A Pro!

Y do basketball reds suck?

12 Last