kiefynugs
    Update your status
    kiefynugs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

UFC 125: Edgar Maynard

Edgar/Maynard: I see Maynard having great odds for this fight around -150, considering he is a great wrestler against an undersized opponent who he's already beat in a dominating fashion. I do think frankie will give him more trouble on the feet then in their first bout, but in the end he won't be able to stop the takedown. Also the fight taking place in Maynard's hometown helps.

I've noticed the line has moved slightly closer to even since it was released on bookmaker. Does anyone see this becoming a trend? Or have the maynard supporters just not laid their bets yet.

Stungun/Nate Diaz: A lot of people seem to be taking Dong for this fight . I'm curious what peoples' line of thinking is here. I haven't been too impressed with Stungun's performance, especially getting outboxed and clinched by Parisyan. I have a lot of respect for his Judo, but I see Nate being able to take this fight standing (maybe even get the KO.) They are both scramblers on the ground so the Jitz game could be kind of a toss up, but I see Nate having the advantage there at least on paper. What do you guys think?

My other picks for the fights are Guida, Leben and Vera so far.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

The line should change and push Edgar up to +140 to +155 range by fight time...I hope so anyway as I've got 3 units on Maynard at -125 and want to arb!

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

I hope Edgar runs it up above +150 as well. I will most likely take Edgar in this fight as I see it closer than most.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

i have never felt so strange going into a show. Top to bottom every fight could be FOTN or even FOTY calibre. But with the main even being lackluster, i really cant guage my excitement for the show.

I HATE watching Grey fight. He is sooooo boring. All of his fights you can leave for 18 minutes, come back, see 2 guys undamaged and hear his name as the winner.

jacktheknife
    jacktheknife's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16896

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    I hope Edgar runs it up above +150 as well. I will most likely take Edgar in this fight as I see it closer than most.
    The question is if other people feel like you do. Such that the line might go the way of people who will actually make money on this fight, like the rest of us.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    The line should change and push Edgar up to +140 to +155 range by fight time...I hope so anyway as I've got 3 units on Maynard at -125 and want to arb!
    It should be a competitive fight that could go either way, so a perfect one to arb out of. I haven't bet on it yet, but if Edgar's line reaches +150 or better I'll take Edgar for sure.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    Same here.

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Why the hell is the champion with 1 title defense under him already the underdog?

I actually wanted to bet Maynard here thinking he'll be a dog.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheknife View Post
    The question is if other people feel like you do. Such that the line might go the way of people who will actually make money on this fight, like the rest of us.
    Ouch.

jacktheknife

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    Why the hell is the champion with 1 title defense under him already the underdog?

I actually wanted to bet Maynard here thinking he'll be a dog.
    Sucks that bookies actually know about the sport sometimes, huh? Worse still, Rashad will probably be around the same line.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheknife View Post
    Sucks that bookies actually know about the sport sometimes, huh? Worse still, Rashad will probably be around the same line.
    The Rashad line is already out and he is +150 underdog on most sites.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Lil Heathen blog...

jacktheknife

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    The Rashad line is already out and he is +150 underdog on most sites.
    Sweet Jesus.

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

edgar ftw

JC2008
    JC2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2519

I gotta go with Maynard in this one. He's beat him once already and seems to have his number.

demens
    Square -910

I honestly dont with Franky is all that good. The BJ he was fighting should have been on a couch somewhere talking to a shirk rather then in a ring.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Quote Originally Posted by JC2008 View Post
    I gotta go with Maynard in this one. He's beat him once already and seems to have his number.
    Totally agree, the only way I could see Edgar winning is late in the 4th or 5th round after his frenetic pace gasses Maynard. Honestly Edgar would be down 3-4 rounds at that point and would need to finish, which isn't a strength of his at all, and I'm not even sure Maynard would gas to begin with.

kiefynugs
    Update your status

I honestly dont with Franky is all that good. The BJ he was fighting should have been on a couch somewhere talking to a shirk rather then in a ring.
    I think Frankie's skillset is great and its surprising how well he implements his wrestling as a clearly undersized LW.

But thats the thing... he's undersized. The best way for him to beat Maynard will be to keep him at range with strikes and try to grab TDs when he can, but I don't see this fight going too much differently than their first bout. Maynard is very safe but also explosive and he dominated Edgar both on the feet and on the ground.

Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

I have to agree. I really can't see anyway that Frankie is going to be able to stop the takedown. Frankie is going to have to scramble and be elusive as hell. Either way over a 5 round fight I think Gray takes this.

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

whats the fight goes distance prop at? franky will have his track shoes on once again

kiefynugs
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by stefan084 View Post
    whats the fight goes distance prop at? franky will have his track shoes on once again
    I'm going to go ahead and guess -200 to -300

36mafia
    36mafia's Avatar Become A Pro!

-320 @ 5dimes

demens
    Square -910

If BJ took either fight to the ground he would have won. Pretty sure Maynard wont have any issues with that game plan or implementing it. But Edgar is getting better though, dont wanna discredit him so maybe he can use his speed to keep it standing.

Poppa Catfish

If BJ took either fight to the ground he would have won. Pretty sure Maynard wont have any issues with that game plan or implementing it. But Edgar is getting better though, dont wanna discredit him so maybe he can use his speed to keep it standing.
    BJ did take him to the ground

BJ is great, Edgar is just a bad style for him to match up with. A third fourth and fifth match would likely go just the same as the first two. I believe Maynard vs Edgar is another one of those bad match ups. You can make all the excuses, but at the end of the day rock is going to beat scissors, scissors will beat paper, and everybody will beat brock
    Last edited by Poppa Catfish; 12-14-10 at 12:49 AM.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

i cant see how this fight owuld go any different than the first. maynard wins by UD

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    BJ did take him to the ground

BJ is great, Edgar is just a bad style for him to match up with. A third fourth and fifth match would likely go just the same as the first two. I believe Maynard vs Edgar is another one of those bad match ups. You can make all the excuses, but at the end of the day rock is going to beat scissors, scissors will beat paper, and everybody will beat brock
    No he didn't. I dont consider a take down here and there, taking him to the ground. 95% of both fights were on the feet where Edgar had the edge 100% of the time. The only time BJ looked good was on the ground, i even remember commentators saying how they dont get why he doesn't take him down since thats the only thing that worked and how his corner is giving him useless advice trying to hype him up rather then give him any direction.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

He would have liked to but couldn't. Penn tried to take it to the ground in the second fight, and did take Edgar down a couple times, but just couldn't keep him down. Especially by the later rounds, Edgar was the much fresher fighter and there was no way Penn was going to take him down and keep him down. Give Edgar some credit. Edgar's a better wrestler than Penn.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Frank Edgar +115
    Gray Maynard -145

Brian Stann +140
    Chris Leben -170

Brandon Vera +130
    Thiago Silva -160

Dong Hyun Kim -135
    Nathan Diaz +105

Clay Guida -165
    Takanori Gomi +135

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

i like Vera as the dog, He has had trouble when guys clinch or try to take him down like Couture/Jones. Pure stand up he's pretty good

demens
    Square -910

I think Nate Diaz and Gomi might be good dog picks.

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Quote Originally Posted by lasker View Post
    He would have liked to but couldn't. Penn tried to take it to the ground in the second fight, and did take Edgar down a couple times, but just couldn't keep him down. Especially by the later rounds, Edgar was the much fresher fighter and there was no way Penn was going to take him down and keep him down. Give Edgar some credit. Edgar's a better wrestler than Penn.
    franky probably is the better wrestler(def. not better jiu-jitsu) but i wanted to see Penn go for the takedown in the very beginning of the fight when he was fresh. when he finally started going for takedowns it looked like he was already gassed. he looks fresher at 170 because of not having to cut weight,only drawback is you have to fight guys that are bigger/stronger and thats going to be tough for him

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Quote Originally Posted by stefan084 View Post
    franky probably is the better wrestler(def. not better jiu-jitsu) but i wanted to see Penn go for the takedown in the very beginning of the fight when he was fresh. when he finally started going for takedowns it looked like he was already gassed. he looks fresher at 170 because of not having to cut weight,only drawback is you have to fight guys that are bigger/stronger and thats going to be tough for him
    Probably the better wrestler?

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
    Probably the better wrestler?
    Yeah don't you know. An in shape, motivated BJ Penn has the best wrestling (both freestyle and greco)/greatest hands/ best BJJ/ best chin/ best muy thai plum/ best judo. Its just impossible to measure any of it, because he isn't motivated enough to show it. So ignore any and all fights that point to the contrary.

Its weird being on the other side of the argument now. I really could have sworn Penn fans were excited for him to return to 155 because it forced him to actually be in shape, and that his conditioning looked far better at 155 then 170. I actually agree with that too, the 155 Penn had amazing cardio in comparison. I think the 170 Penn is going to be in for a very long night against Fitch.
    Last edited by Poppa Catfish; 12-15-10 at 09:38 PM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Lil Heathen 2nd blog...

12 Last