The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

WEC 53: Henderson vs Pettis

Date: Dec 16, 2010
    Venue: Jobing.com Arena
    Broadcast: Versus

MAIN CARD
    • Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis (lightweight title)
    • Dominick Cruz vs. Scott Jorgensen (bantamweight title)
    • Donald Cerrone vs. Chris Horodecki
    • Bart Palaszewski vs. Kamal Shalorus
    • Danny Downes vs. Tiequan Zhang

PRELIMINARY CARD

• Shane Roller vs. Jamie Varner
    • Ivan Menjivar vs. Brad Pickett
    • Ken Stone vs. Eddie Wineland
    • Danny Castillo vs. Will Kerr
    • Yuri Alcantara vs. Ricardo Lamas
    • Renan Barao vs. Chris Cariaso

The HOFF

This is a great card; better than UFC 124 in my opinion. It sucks that this will be the last WEC card but hopefully all goes well once these fighters all merge into the UFC. Bookmaker has lines out on the two title fights.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Pettis currently at +145 on most books but +154 on BetUs. Henderson -155 to -180 range.

Cruz -196 to -220 range and Jorgensen +170 to +179.

Looking to take both fights to go over 3.5 rounds (if available) or to go the distance (if both +120 or better). Im confident at least one of the two will go the distance. All four fighters have great cardio and dont have a big advantage over their opponent in any area IMO.

Considering plays on Cerrone, Varner, Pickett and Wineland but they'll probly be too much chalk. I expect Varner to be -150 to -180 range, and the others to be -225 to -300 range (Cerrone will be atleast -270). May play Cariaso if he is the dog against Renan Barao, his stand up will be far superior, Leone was getting the better of Renan standing and his stand up isnt as good as Cariaso's.

The HOFF

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Looking to take both fights to go over 3.5 rounds (if available) or to go the distance (if both +120 or better). Im confident at least one of the two will go the distance. All four fighters have great cardio and dont have a big advantage over their opponent in any area IMO.

Considering plays on Cerrone, Varner, Pickett and Wineland but they'll probly be too much chalk. I expect Varner to be -150 to -180 range, and the others to be -225 to -300 range (Cerrone will be atleast -270). May play Cariaso if he is the dog against Renan Barao, his stand up will be far superior, Leone was getting the better of Renan standing and his stand up isnt as good as Cariaso's.
    Cruz vs Jorgensen has the best chance of going 5. I know you like Pettis but I think Henderson will be able to finish him in under 5.

I like those other 4 as well, with Varner and Cerrone being big plays for me. And get out of here with that negative thinking about Cerrone -270. Be positive and delusional, Cerrone -180.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by The HOFF View Post
    Cruz vs Jorgensen has the best chance of going 5. I know you like Pettis but I think Henderson will be able to finish him in under 5.

I like those other 4 as well, with Varner and Cerrone being big plays for me. And get out of here with that negative thinking about Cerrone -270. Be positive and delusional, Cerrone -180.
    ha yeah Cerrone as the dog thn! I like Pettis but not enough to bet on him outright!

36mafia
    36mafia's Avatar Become A Pro!

just parlayed both champs to defend their title

The HOFF

Quote Originally Posted by 36mafia View Post
    just parlayed both champs to defend their title
    Like Henderson, but not so sure about Cruz. If he was fully healthy, then I would say Cruz easily. But the news that he needs hand surgery after the fight scares me.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Like Henderson, but not so sure about Cruz. If he was fully healthy, then I would say Cruz easily. But the news that he needs hand surgery after the fight scares me.
    Same here. I think Henderson takes it, but I'm staying away from betting on the other title fight.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Odds should come out in a couple of hours I should think, hoping Pinnacle release theirs soon after bookmaker, 5dimes etc in order to get any undervalued lines! Not expecting much tho, just want some type of over or distance prop for the two title fights.

doubleleg
    doubleleg's Avatar Become A Pro!

I see Cerrone beating the hell out of Hordecki in this one.

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2428

Anyone know much about Danny Downes? I would figure UFC wants to keep the Zhang ball rolling for now.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

lines are out

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Cariaso is only one that jumps out at me as value at +240.

Eccocide
    2010 MMA Results: +69.3225 units
    Eccocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

These lines are insane. All the guys I liked are overpriced lol.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

^

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Varner -200 I was hoping for -140 to -160 range!

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

I saw this coming a mile away

terpkeg

Varner is too much now at -245, bout to go the other way at +195.

Eccocide
    2010 MMA Results: +69.3225 units
    Eccocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

Quote Originally Posted by terpkeg View Post
    Varner is too much now at -245, bout to go the other way at +195.
    Yup, I'm taking Roller if he breaks +200.

The HOFF

Cariaso is only one that jumps out at me as value at +240.
    I agree. That seems to be the only value.

Quote Originally Posted by Eccocide View Post
    These lines are insane. All the guys I liked are overpriced lol.
    Damn You Bookmaker!! They are getting a lot sharper with their openers.

Varner -200 I was hoping for -140 to -160 range!
    So was I. I thought -180 at the worst. Still jumped on it though.

The HOFF

The HOFF

Line on Shalorus keeps going down. Opened high but dropping to where it should be.

terpkeg

Why does everyone love Varner so much? I will admit, I put no effort into handicapping this event yet. I have watched no footage, read no articles. But, I was thinking at work today, If I had to open this line, I would have set -120/+100 Varner. I obviously would have been pounded.

I do think, stylistically, this is a bad match up for Roller at first glance. His stand up game is far from as evolved as Varner, who has a boxing background, and Varner has the wrestling pedigree to keep it up. However, I was way off on the Varner - Cerronne fight since I did not do my homework re: Varner's nagging injuries and instability at ACS.

Has anything changed since then? This seems like a fairly quick turn around for a guy who was battling so many injuries. It is possible that Varner has wore his body down and is on the downside of his career, or atleast going through a rough spot. Whereas, Roller has not taking nearly as much damage and, in theory, should be improving significantly each time out.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Cariaso line getting even better at +265 now. He should have the edge in the stand up, Leone was getting the better of Renan at times in Barao's debut and his striking is no way near Cariaso's level. Obviously Renan should submit or decision Cariaso through out-grappling him but at +250 to +300 range he's defo worth a play IMO.
    Last edited by Vaughany; 12-14-10 at 05:40 PM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Why does everyone love Varner so much? I will admit, I put no effort into handicapping this event yet. I have watched no footage, read no articles. But, I was thinking at work today, If I had to open this line, I would have set -120/+100 Varner. I obviously would have been pounded.

I do think, stylistically, this is a bad match up for Roller at first glance. His stand up game is far from as evolved as Varner, who has a boxing background, and Varner has the wrestling pedigree to keep it up. However, I was way off on the Varner - Cerronne fight since I did not do my homework re: Varner's nagging injuries and instability at ACS.

Has anything changed since then? This seems like a fairly quick turn around for a guy who was battling so many injuries. It is possible that Varner has wore his body down and is on the downside of his career, or atleast going through a rough spot. Whereas, Roller has not taking nearly as much damage and, in theory, should be improving significantly each time out.
    Varner has revamped his camp for this fight, training at AKA for a few weeks I believe. He's saying that its best camp ever etc... the usual stuff. I was only gonna play him at -140 or sumin which was optimistic. As Ecco sed above, there is value in Roller if he reaches +200 tho. Probly avoid it altogether tho!

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

About a month now. He is working his ass off, unlike a certain guy who just fought for a title

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Anybody see value in Kerr at +211? Castillo hasnt impressed me in his last couple fights.

The HOFF

Anybody see value in Kerr at +211? Castillo hasnt impressed me in his last couple fights.
    That's what I was thinking too. 1-2 in past 3 with a dec win over Poirier. I think this is a good spot for Kerr. But would you quit throwing out all these underdogs I like, I want to win the Year End Contest.

The HOFF

Anyone know much about Danny Downes? I would figure UFC wants to keep the Zhang ball rolling for now.
    He looks like an absolute turd if you've ever seen him. He showed some heart against Horodeci but was completely outclassed.

The HOFF

Not so much love for Varner, but against Roller. I personally thing Roller is severely overrated. He has some wrestling ability but not much else. His cardio was extremely poor in the fight against Pettis. Varner should be able to dictate the fight.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

That's what I was thinking too. 1-2 in past 3 with a dec win over Poirier. I think this is a good spot for Kerr. But would you quit throwing out all these underdogs I like, I want to win the Year End Contest.
    haha I guess we'll be having similar plays in the contest on Thursday then!

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Oh yeah, and I had Varner to beat Cerrone and Roller to beat Pettis so I should probly stay away from this match-up!

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

isn`t this considered a "home" fight for varner?...hopefully,he`ll get a little love from the judges for a change here...

and btw...varner/roller not televised?....can that be right?...

snake11eyes
    snake11eyes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 577

Henderson -160 is a steal. Should be -200 or higher.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by snake11eyes View Post
    Henderson -160 is a steal. Should be -200 or higher.
    agreed.

1234 ... Last