terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Phan +135 v. Garcia

Not necesarily advocating play here just yet. But i did take a piece at +135 and wondering others opinions. Every Garcia fight seems to play out the same. He doesnt use any bjj he might have and i feel that him and Phan have similiar styles. Phan showed good chin on TUF and seems to be more technical than Garcia. Expect close, exciting fight here. Think -125/-105 or -120/-110 more appropriate.

Any opinions?

Eccocide
    2010 MMA Results: +69.3225 units
    Eccocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

Garcia fools the judges with punch volume, making noises when he throws hard and coming forward. He rarely lands much but the judges percieve this as aggressiveness and octagon control. He may get picked apart on the feet and still win (as he has done in the past). Its a no play for me!

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Yeah as Ecco said Garcia is aggressive which judges favour. I like a play on this going to decision if +110 or better.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

i usually peg garcia as a "go against" vs "good" fighters....phan isn`t bad...but i thought there were a few moments in the second round vs johnson...after the body shots...that johnson looked incredibly fatigued and a bit hurt...

but phan either didn`t pick it up or was too tired himself to take advantage....

i thought he had a real chance to close the show in the second....

some guys just manage to do just enough to lose when stepping up...not sure whether that`s phan or not....

as much as i`d like to go against garcia,probably passing here...

cky312
    cky312's Avatar Become A Pro!

I actually like this fight as an award winner prop. Knowing both have decent chins, long as they're willing to trade, I see a barn burner.

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

I like the value with nam

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Judges love Garica for some reason. So if you don't think Nam can stop him, I wouldn't risk it with the judges.

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6148

Im taking Garcia by DEC. here.

Boddhissatva
    Boddhissatva's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1140

This immediately caught my eye as well.

Garcia doesn't use grappling, rather prefers to strike. He hasn't looked good in his last couple fights.

And Nam is no rookie...the man has a history and a pretty impressive MMA record.

Garcia will not be able to over power Nam with grappling or wrestling. He will prefer to stand and bang.
    I see Nam stopping Garcia or getting the UD.

rocky mattioli

wish i could find a win or two on phan`s resume that would give me confidence that he can sustain through and win a fight vs a better quality opponent(by that i mean an opponent good enough to fight for a major promotion)...

as i said,i`m not crazy about garcia...but has has height,volume punching, and the ability to maintain a certain pace through 3...

if phan gets to the +150/+175 range,i`d be tempted,i guess....not confident,though...

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Up to +160 now, much more enticing at this number.

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6148

Garcia is the DEC king!

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yep. Garcia knows how to play to the judges.

Flexin
    Flexin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 51

Phan got robbed.

James

spargament
    KHABIB
    spargament's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 367

Hahahaha i fail. I forfeited a Garcia Story parlay right after the third round ended

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

wow. just wow. that is so ridiculous. im reading a bunch of play by plays by websites and all of them have it 30-27 phan. tough luck to any phan backers.

rocky mattioli

i know i`ll catch some flak...but this is what white wants...aggression....doesn`t matter if it`s effective....doesn`t matter who`s scoring....as long as you move forward....

garcia was lost....just a horrible decision....

thanks dana...you reap what you sow...

spargament
    KHABIB

honestly im more mad at the fans that boo Garcia, and all the fighters who do fight their asses off and win decisions they dont deserve...Like how ignorant can you be as a fan.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by spargament View Post
    honestly im more mad at the fans that boo Garcia, and all the fighters who do fight their asses off and win decisions they dont deserve...Like how ignorant can you be as a fan.
    its more about expressing disapproval in general. when you're in the crowd its not like you can yell out "we dont agree with the decision because.....". or its not like the camera is going to pan the judges so you can boo them.

mma fans at the fights arent as stupid when they're outside of the arena. its just that as a part of the mob, the simplest of comments are the only ones that are heard.

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    i know i`ll catch some flak...but this is what white wants...aggression....doesn`t matter if it`s effective....doesn`t matter who`s scoring....as long as you move forward.... garcia was lost....just a horrible decision.... thanks dana...you reap what you sow...
    I don't think he wants bad calls. That hurts you. Everyone wants aggression. I think White would want aggression and a KO/sub win IMO. Not a bad call.

spargament
    KHABIB

no offense, I've been to more than one UFC event, and many many MMA events in general. I know ignorant ass fans when I hear them. When Andres Galaraga (spelling?) got his perfect game phucked by Jim Joyce, how many people yelled, " I HATE YOU BUD SELIG"

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by spargament View Post
    They could have just been booing the bad decision but let the man talk. He didn't judge the fight. He fought well but lost. Its not his fault he lost.

Phan should have let him up in the second after not getting in enough clean shots on the ground. He could have KO'd him. Don't leave it to the judges.

James

spargament
    KHABIB

Was the hitter booed? Harassed? Nope

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
    They could have just been booing the bad decision but let the man talk. He didn't judge the fight. He fought well but lost. Its not his fault he lost. Phan should have let him up in the second after not getting in enough clean shots on the ground. He could have KO'd him. Don't leave it to the judges. James
    I'm so sick of this "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" bullshit. It's not so easy to finish a UFC caliber fighter, it's not like after you have someone hurt you can just go through a few simple motions and finish it. Nam Phan did nothing wrong by taking the back and totally dominating that second round. He was going for the RNC, going for the finish, just didn't get it. Guys like Garcia are tough as nails, tough to finish, but that doesn't mean Phan should get screwed over for clearly winning the fight.

Judges are paid to judge a fight properly, and one would hope they are not this stupid. They need to do their damn job.
    Last edited by lasker; 12-04-10 at 09:04 PM.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Phan got fukked get on Grove now

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

This is why in a Garcia fight, I either no-play, or bet Garcia... he is tough as sh*t to finish, and dude has an unreal way of getting leans from the judges. It's un-fawking-real.

Sorry to see any of you took the shaft on this one.

As Rogan has so eloquently explained... judges these days are

lasker

Mike Goldberg: "Don't leave it in the hands of the judges..."

Joe Rogan (interrupting): "yeah that's unfortunate though, it's just gross. you should be able to leave it in the hands of the judges... it's ruining mma. and it's making people think that this sport is corrupt. and it has nothing to do with corruption, it's complete, total incompetence."

I totally agree that you should be able to leave it in the hands of the judges. I'm not convinced of the no corruption claim. But I acknowledge that if it is corruption it's not coming from within the UFC organization. But that doesn't mean there's no corruption within the State Athletic commissions or among specific judges...

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

I agree with Rogan, total incompetence

rocky mattioli

this "don`t leave it in the hands of the judges" b.s. is nothing more than the ufc/state commissions sherking their responsibility to the fighters and the sport...

utter crap...get judges that get it...it`s that f-cking simple....

this shit shouldn`t happen every event.....sometimes,multiple times in an event...

we all have to do our jobs competently.....stop sherking yours/ufc/nevada state athletic commission.....

and believe me...if white wanted it changed,it would happen....don`t let that bald f-ck off the hook for the product he puts out there..

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

How can Dana White influence the athletic commission, I don't understand your point.

rocky mattioli

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    How can Dana White influence the athletic commission, I don't understand your point.
    you don`t think white and the ufc has any gravitas with the nevada athletic commission?....with all the events they hold in vegas...the millions they bring into a failing economy?......

it wouldn`t be all that hard to find out which refs are consistently shitty......

i`d say that vegas,given their shitty economy and high unemployment rate needs the ufc....the ufc is global now...

it`s up to white to broach the issue with them....

this is harming his product....
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 12-04-10 at 09:37 PM.

lasker

I also can't see how or why this would have anything to do with Dana White. If anything, it was probably better for UFC business to have the Asian fighter win.

But as I keep saying, the athletic commissions are corrupt, there has been a lot written about this over the years, also (especially) in the boxing world. And I have a strong feeling these judges are just puppets in their pocket...

rocky mattioli

you don`t think white and the ufc has any gravitas with the nevada athletic commission?....with all the events they hold in vegas...the millions they bring into a failing economy?......

it wouldn`t be all that hard to find out which refs are consistently shitty......

i`d say that vegas,given their shitty economy and high unemployment rate needs the ufc....the ufc is global now...

this

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

We already know which judges suck... Cecil Peoples takes the cake.

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by lasker View Post
    I'm so sick of this "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" bullshit. It's not so easy to finish a UFC caliber fighter, it's not like after you have someone hurt you can just go through a few simple motions and finish it. Nam Phan did nothing wrong by taking the back and totally dominating that second round. He was going for the RNC, going for the finish, just didn't get it. Guys like Garcia are tough as nails, tough to finish, but that doesn't mean Phan should get screwed over for clearly winning the fight.

Judges are paid to judge a fight properly, and one would hope they are not this stupid. They need to do their damn job.
    Its a judged fight. As you can see by this forum and thread not everyone has the same opinion. So your leaving it in the hands of someone else. Your best bet is to not allow that to happen if at all possible. He had him hurt. He wasn't landing many when he had him on his back. Let his dazed ass back up and drop him again. And in the UFC it is almost easy to finish the fight if you have them hurt like that. If you can get on them and just land a shit load of unanswered shots the fight will be over.

In boxing you have the 10 count. But if they stay on their feet you can kinda do the same thing and just throw till the ref jumps in. Thats if they don't return punches.

There is no reason at all that Phan should be robbed of a fight. But it is something that can happen in a judged sport. It sucks.

As a boxing fan I want to give those two fighters a for fighting most of that fight on their feet. I enjoyed the fight.

James

123 Last