shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

How many title shots should 1 guy get, if he never wins the belt?

Im having kenflo in mind for this. assuming he wins, he will most likely be getting another shot at the belt. This would be his 3rd try.

But when is enough enough. I dont think anybody would doubt he is legit and earned his shots. but if you never win it and keep earning a shot, should there be a limit?

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

I guess as many as they like.

Usually fighters move to a new weight division after losing too many times.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

as many as offered to him

Lincoln73
    Lincoln73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Two shots against any specific champ. If Penn beats Edgar, Florian doesn't deserve another shot, however, if Edgar wins he should get the shot.

squallsquall
    squallsquall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

As long as he's still second best in the division, I see no reason he shouldn't keep getting title matches. Not too frequently, of course.

sundin4prez
    sundin4prez's Avatar Become A Pro!

the problem with the ufc is s that if kenny wins next saturday there is literaly know one else that deserves a title shot above him so they have to give him his 3rd chance... who else deserves a shot, maybe stropolus (not enough attention, maybe after one more dominating fight) and this is a long shot maybe gomi (can promote him as a former #1 that lost it all and is coming back, would be a good rematch if penn wins);;

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Id love to see Edgar vs Florian but not BJ vs Florian again.

KCJMAC
    MMA
    KCJMAC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

If Florian wins against Maynard, he absolutely deserves another immediate title shot, regardless of whether BJ or Frankie is the champ.

Here are some reasons why:

* Kenny Florian finishes fights. Florian has finished 10 people in the UFC in his 11 wins. That's the same number of finishes as Chuck Liddell, who has almost twice as many fights in the UFC. That's the same number as Anderson Silva. That's also 50% more finishes than GSP. (Gray Maynard, by comparison, will need 72 more fights in the UFC to finish 10 people at his current rate.)

* Florian's only win by decision is when he beat Roger Huerta, who hadn't lost in 17 fights at the time, and was on a 6 fight winning streak in the UFC.

* Florian's first title shot was in his 8th fight overall when he met Sean Sherk for the new Lightweight title. Florian sliced Sherk's head open with elbows, but couldn't stop the takedowns, and lost a decision after going the entire 25 minutes against the bigger, stronger, more experienced Sherk (32 fights at the time). Note: Sherk tested positive for performance enhancing drugs immediately following his next fight, and has never been the same fighter since.

* Florian then won his next 6 fights, earning a title shot with BJ Penn. I think Florian tried to replicate GSP's strategy of controlling and wearing down Penn, and this was ineffective. Florian lost in Round 4.

I believe Florian will beat Gray Maynard at UFC 118, and there shouldn't be any doubt at this point that he could beat Sotiropoulos as well. That leaves Penn and Edgar. Unless we are going to see an unprecedented 3rd fight in a row between those two, Florian is fighting one of them next, and it should be for the title.

cooldavid3169
    cooldavid3169's Avatar Become A Pro!

The last samurai should get as man title shots as he deserves. At least he is more like able than he was a few years ago. Saying how he finishes fights after Din Thomas hurt himself in the fight. He does finish fights thou something 60-80 of 155 or under can not seem to do.

NOLA42
    cal -3
    NOLA42's Avatar Become A Pro!

KenFlo will beat BJ if they both win and get matched up, then Bj can win one fight and a third fight between them will happen

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln73 View Post
    Two shots against any specific champ. If Penn beats Edgar, Florian doesn't deserve another shot, however, if Edgar wins he should get the shot.
    Florian and Penn have only fought once, so you're contradicting yourself.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by urge2kill View Post
    Florian and Penn have only fought once, so you're contradicting yourself.
    Guess he means that Edgar has been a Champion tho as he won the original match so deserves a re-match while Florian hasnt been the champion as he lost his original fight against BJ.

I just think BJ is a bad match stylistically for Florian...Florian wins most his fights by sub but this is never gonna happen against BJ. He could of course do an Edgar and just out box Penn but im not totally sure Edgar is going to be able to do it again for 5 rounds and dont think Florian could do it either.

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

when he's right BJs a bad match-up for anyone

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

i've heard a couple times that BJ was sick leading up to the fight and that his camp agreed to fight only if an immediate rematch clause was put in. i have no idea if this is true or not but if it is that's a big factor in betting this fight of course. how does one find out if thats true though is the question

Poster X
    Poster X's Avatar Become A Pro!

depends on the circumstances really.

cooldavid3169
    cooldavid3169's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln73 View Post
    So if Edgar beats Penn your saying he doesn't ever deserve a title shot against him again in the future come on think about what you are saying. Not like Edgar blew him out of the water he might get a flash knock out. No one else has shown they can even be in the ring with him at 155.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with most people. Kenflo has been dominating the division. He's been doing nothing but improving and is with the best gym. If he beats Maynard, but loses to Edgar/Penn I don't really think it matters. If you're dominating #1 contenders consistently you deserve as many title shots as you want almost. Kenflo should have no problem getting 2 or 3 more title shots after this one if he doesn't win any of them and in my opinion he will deserve every one of them.

KenardRage
    KenardRage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92

I agree with Kaladarus .. if he keeps losing the title shots but is always the number one contender he should keep getting title shots until somebody can bump him from the number one contender spot and it seems like nobody can really do that at his point.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladarus View Post
    I agree with most people. Kenflo has been dominating the division. He's been doing nothing but improving and is with the best gym. If he beats Maynard, but loses to Edgar/Penn I don't really think it matters. If you're dominating #1 contenders consistently you deserve as many title shots as you want almost. Kenflo should have no problem getting 2 or 3 more title shots after this one if he doesn't win any of them and in my opinion he will deserve every one of them.
    I agree with the sport aspect of as many shots as you earn, but what about the business end. How many times can 1 fighter be marketed in the same spot only to come up short again?

If any of my comments seem like im a florian hater, i would like to add that he is one of my favorite fighters. He always puts on a show and i never bet agaisnt him

vassman86
    vassman86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by squallsquall View Post
    As long as he's still second best in the division, I see no reason he shouldn't keep getting title matches. Not too frequently, of course.
    I agree.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by shady610 View Post
    I agree with the sport aspect of as many shots as you earn, but what about the business end. How many times can 1 fighter be marketed in the same spot only to come up short again?

If any of my comments seem like im a florian hater, i would like to add that he is one of my favorite fighters. He always puts on a show and i never bet agaisnt him
    It would definitely suck from a business end you're right about that. We've seen some huge dogs fight for titles in the past and many people have wrote them off. As far as having high PPV numbers it may be more difficult for a rematch fight. Especially when past ones have not gone well. The main problem is that if no one can beat someone like Florian, chances are they can't beat the champion. Unless the UFC wants to start having more superfights which I think they should, people are going to get rematches. Even though upsets happen all the time, as a fan, I would much rather see fights that are closer and can go either way. They should really think about stuff like tournaments and superfights because at the end of the day, people like Florian will always have to be given the title shot. Also as much as people don't like it Fitch will probably get a title shot soon as well. The UFC doesn't really give themselves many opportunities from stuff like this happening and in the future it can be a problem on the business end.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

no you cant put a limit on it.

how crazy would it be if kenny beat gray and dana was like sorry, 2 times is the most you can ever challenge for the title

i see where you are coming from OP, but setting up a limit would prevent other improving fighters from challenging multiple times.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

If Florian beats Maynard he will fully deserve the title shot. I think he will beat Maynard, and I also think he'll win the title regardless of whether it's Penn or Edgar. Third time's the charm for Florian.