bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Dana white, "We're going to make an example of James Toney"

Watching the UFC 116 post fight press conference right now.

Brock said to Dana, "They brought me in to make an example of me" Dana White jumped in and blurted, "No we're going to make an example of James Toney".

Looking forward to Randy kicking his ass.

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6148

It's true but can't believe he actually said it!

Shane
    Shane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Haha. Chuckled when he said that.

Kav
    Kav's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 450

lol i caught that also.

as a boxing fan and james toney being one of my all time favourite boxers i really hope he knocks out randy couture!

stacks on deck
    stacks on deck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5363

toney should of fought this years ago dude is getting over the hill now

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33414

What example can they make out of James Toney? That a MMA HOFer can defeat a severely brain-damaged man with no MMA experience whatsoever? I'm looking forward to more people calling out Dana White for bullshit like this fight.

thespeculator
    thespeculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13168

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    What example can they make out of James Toney? That a MMA HOFer can defeat a severely brain-damaged man with no MMA experience whatsoever? I'm looking forward to more people calling out Dana White for bullshit like this fight.
    exactly , how does that prove anything, just because they are combat sports doesn't make them the same, why don't quarterbacks pitch in the off season, it's just throwing a ball , isn' t it

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Dana talks all the time about not being like the WWE, yet he shoots is mouth off just like the WWE. Lesnar is a bad ass, and after Carwin barely lasted 1 round I'm not sure who's got the strength and stamina to stay with him. You could tell the minute Lesnar got up and pressed him against the cage Carwin was finished.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

damn! lost some betpoints on carwin, but BROCK!!!!! glad he won

and i cant believe dana said that. lol
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-05-14 at 07:38 PM.

Ella600
    Ella600's Avatar Become A Pro!

36mafia
    36mafia's Avatar Become A Pro!

lmfao

dana white the puppet master

Eccocide
    2010 MMA Results: +69.3225 units
    Eccocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

Well at least he has admitted that this is a freakshow fight. He's said in a couple interviews in the past couple weeks that he's always said he wouldnt do a freakshow but he knows this is one. Randy better do what he needs to do and get this one over quickly.

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

I see Toney getting rear-naked choked about 52 seconds into the 1st round.
    Last edited by Tree Rollins; 07-05-10 at 01:53 PM.

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

I really want Couture to lose.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

couldnt agree more

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    I see Toney getting rear-naked chocked about 52 seconds into the 1st round.
    lol that is a very realistic prediction

Cappy
    Cappy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 880

Couture isn't just going to choke him out, if Toney is anywhere near as old and useless as everyone seems to think couture is going to work him against the cage and eventually bring him down and either submit or ground and pound.

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

i still wana see this one,i hope toney do4es good

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

Toney is one and done. Dana is brilliant, Toney has been calling eveyone out so Dana gives him a fight. Boxing guys can't even make the argument that they are using an old boxer (41) to make boxers look bad because couture is 47!!!!

sundin4prez
    sundin4prez's Avatar Become A Pro!

what do you think dana would say about this fight if lets say strikeforce was promoting it.... "bush league", "old ass boxer thats why there strikefarce" " toney was a good boxer at 160 not fukin 230".... etc..

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Toney is old and out of shape.A fighter like Couture will crush Toney---mark my words on it

Ryangene
    Ryangene's Avatar Become A Pro!

Waiting to see what odds are for this crazy stuff.... Randy wins in one of his quickest fights in his career.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    Toney is one and done. Dana is brilliant, Toney has been calling eveyone out so Dana gives him a fight. Boxing guys can't even make the argument that they are using an old boxer (41) to make boxers look bad because couture is 47!!!!
    Toney's age is the least of his problems. He has dementia pugilistica, a form of brain damage caused by repeated head trauma. His slurred speech is a symptom of this. Other symptoms include memory loss, tremors, and a loss of coordination. It's the last of these symptoms, combined with no MMA experience, that make him cannon fodder for Couture.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

does anyone know what toney is getting paid for this fight? and is he on a multi-fight contract?

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by jin2daj View Post
    does anyone know what toney is getting paid for this fight? and is he on a multi-fight contract?

Quite a bit from what I understand. He's involved with former SF 49er OL John Harrington who helped put the deal together. John said it was significant money from sponsors and so-so money from Dana. Saw James training a few weeks ago and he has man . Unless he catches Randy with a clean shot, he has no chance.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good job Dana. If he were to do this with a current top boxer it would be a different story, but come on. I really hope Toney lands a good punch on Couture right in the start and knocks him out, but it really unlikely this will happen.

THE_LOCKSMITH

Toney's age is the least of his problems. He has dementia pugilistica, a form of brain damage caused by repeated head trauma. His slurred speech is a symptom of this. Other symptoms include memory loss, tremors, and a loss of coordination. It's the last of these symptoms, combined with no MMA experience, that make him cannon fodder for Couture.
    well if the brain damage is true then he won't pass the medical test. As for no mma experience, he is a legit former boxing champion. No one seems to care when a jiu jitsu fighter who can't put a combination together fights in MMA. Almost all fighters come from one background, wrestling, jiu jitsu, Judo etc. Its up to the fighter to find a way to use his martial art in a given fight.

THE_LOCKSMITH

Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-05-14 at 07:38 PM.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO

well if the brain damage is true then he won't pass the medical test.
    That's not necessarily true. Brain scans don't always pick up on dementia pugilistica. In many cases the actual brain damage can't be seen until an autopsy is performed. Even if a fighter fails his brain scan, plenty of fighters have gotten around that in the past (as was the case when an obviously punch drunk Muhammed Ali was cleared to fight Larry Holmes in 1980). The best evidence of a fighter being punch drunk is slurred speech, which the video you posted of Toney makes abundantly clear.

Whether or not a person cares if a fighter is punch drunk is one thing, but to deny that Toney suffers from a severe medical condition is without question a false belief.

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

He's always talked like that, it's why one of his nicknames is Mushmouth.

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

well if the brain damage is true then he won't pass the medical test. As for no mma experience, he is a legit former boxing champion. No one seems to care when a jiu jitsu fighter who can't put a combination together fights in MMA. Almost all fighters come from one background, wrestling, jiu jitsu, Judo etc. Its up to the fighter to find a way to use his martial art in a given fight.
    That's because a wrestler/grappler can take the fight to the mat and dictate fight from there. And a good submission artist doesn't need to throw a punch because he can use his grappling to control his opponent. Furthermore, a good wrestler knows how to chain together a series of moves during a scramble and a good grappler can go through his shoot-lock flows like good boxer can put a combination together.

A boxer has to learn how to sprawl and grasp the clinch game before he can even begin to use his specialty in a MMA fight.

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

This is the kind of circus fight dana hates one... hypocrite

HauntingTheHoly
    HauntingTheHoly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 483

What planet are you living on? Somebody thinks boxers are gonna look bad? Who? Idiots, maybe. *shrug*

Many have forgotten that this "brilliant" asshole wouldn't let his best fighter anywhere near a boxing ring with an old, old, OLD Roy Jones. And his fighter really wanted that fight.

THE_LOCKSMITH

Quote Originally Posted by HauntingTheHoly View Post
    Many have forgotten that this "brilliant" asshole wouldn't let his best fighter anywhere near a boxing ring with an old, old, OLD Roy Jones. And his fighter really wanted that fight.
    probably the same reason he wouldn't let Silva fight Fedor in a Sambo match, Mo Lawal in a wrestling match, Parisyan in a Judo match etc... People say this is Boxing Vs MMA, I don't rally look at it this way. when Lesnar fights its not Westling vs MMA, or Michida is Karate Vs MMA. Boxing is one of the may Martial Arts, but if that all you have your at a big disadvantage, but thats on Toney who wants in MMA

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Quote Originally Posted by Ryangene View Post
    Waiting to see what odds are for this crazy stuff.... Randy wins in one of his quickest fights in his career.
    James Toney +475 +485 +350
    Randy Couture -650 -685 -575
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-05-14 at 07:39 PM. Reason: bad link- Removed

12 Last