Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Bobby Green collapsed back stage after the weigh ins. I guess that fight is off.

https://www.mmaweekly.com/bobby-gree...9NXHjL6A-i1S60
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Thrilla

frankieunits2685
    frankieunits2685's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Bobby Green collapsed back stage after the weigh ins. I guess that fight is off.

yeah, they just officially announced it's cancelled.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Trevin Giles and Joanne Calderwood both collapsed backstage at UFC Fight Night 173.

Which was also @ the apex in vegas.

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Anybody else betting LFA tonight?

I'm on these:

1.1u Myron Dennis +112

1.1u Fernando Padilla -120

1.1u Parlay
    Darian Weeks -900
    Trevor Wallace -600
    Valerie Ann Marie Soto -210
    (-109)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_XELa7kdmQ

Is this the Trevor Wallace that you're betting on DDD?

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo de Naranja View Post

Hope not.

I bet on the Right-Handed Cro Cop.
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave DiggityDaggityDo 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

DiggityDaggityDo

1st rd TKO for Wallace.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11862

Fighters need to prepare to make the weight better. Hard weight cuts dehydrate you big time to point that you can collapse. It happens.

A good night sleep and major rehydrating and he'll be good tomorrow you'd think though.

DiggityDaggityDo

Laura Sanko looking fukkable as usual.

Hugo de Naranja

1st rd TKO for Wallace.
    "Dude, the results are in the pudding."

kobejoshy
    kobejoshy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

What were your thoughts about Martin's performance against Barber?
    Thought it was a decent showing. Barber definitely won all three rounds but Martin had her moments with takedowns and decent top control at times. Barber also missed weight. Martin got a couple of good takedowns and fought off some submission attempts. Martin fell into those submission attempts so that was concerning but I would guess she has improved her defense to triangles. Martin took some big shots in the fight and landed a few too. What are thoughts for Martin this weekend?
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave kobejoshy 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Main card Write ups MMA MANIA.

170 lbs.: Kamaru “The Nigerian Nightmare” Usman (17-1) vs. Gilbert “Durinho” Burns (19-3)

Random, unasked-for factoid about me: I get genuinely sad when extremely promising fighters fail to live up to their potential. For a while there, it looked like that would be the case with Burns. Despite being built like a refrigerator and boasting heinous natural punching power alongside some of the best grappling credentials in the sport, “Durinho” hit a 3-3 skid that saw him outclassed on the feet by Rashid Magomedov, out-wrestled by Michel Prazeres, and knocked silly by Dan Hooker.
    It’s been genuinely heartening to see him finally put it all together at Welterweight, and he’s certainly earned this title shot with dominant wins over tough customers like Gunnar Nelson, Demian Maia, and Tyron Woodley. Unfortunately, that just makes it all the more tragic that he’ll fall short.
    Besides no longer having to shed the weight of an average-sized dog before fight night, Burns’ recent success has largely come due to embracing the grind. Newfound cardio and upgraded takedown prowess have turned him into a suffocating presence, even without the ludicrous size advantage he enjoyed at 155 pounds. That said, trying to suffocate Usman is a fool’s errand, as the champ’s enormous strength, superior wrestling pedigree, and bottomless gas tank allow him to take control of any grappling exchange.
    That leaves Burns two options: crush Usman on the feet or pray Usman initiates takedowns of his own to attack submissions from the bottom. Neither are particularly feasible. Burns hits plenty hard, sure, but so have a lot of Usman’s victims, and it’s hard to get a good striking rhythm going against a guy who can smother you against the fence for several minutes at a time. Plus, Usman’s chin has yet to fail him, while Burns has been clipped on more than one occasion.
    As far as Plan C, Burns isn’t as scary from his back as he is from the top. Prazeres found plenty of success grinding him out, and he’s far from the only one to put the Brazilian on his rear. If Usman decides drag Burns to the mat and burn some clock, there’s not much the latter can do about it.
    Burns has the tools to decisively exploit the slightest opening, but the workmanlike Usman isn’t likely to give him many. Grinding clinch work and conservative top control defuse the explosive challenger and keep the champion atop the throne.
    Prediction: Usman def. Burns via unanimous decision
    Related
    Usman Set To Break St-Pierre’s Record

125 lbs.: Maycee “The Future” Barber (8-1) vs. Alexa Grasso (12-3)

I’m not sure whether this matchmaking implies supreme confidence in Barber’s abilities or a desire on the UFC’s part to cash out. Grasso would be a handful even at the best of times; she’s had some rough losses and took a while to really get her footing in the Octagon, but recent efforts have finally revealed the high-octane boxing attack that brought her so much success in Invicta. Though rapidly improving, Barber still relies more on tenacity that technical proficiency to get things done on the feet, which just won’t cut it here.
    Barber’s key to victory, then, lies in her destructive ground-and-pound, as Grasso’s ground game has failed her in the past. She’ll have to actually put Grasso on her back to use it, however, and that’s far more easily said than done. That “persistence over technique” approach applies to her wrestling as well, and considering the sorts of difficulties one of the division’s best takedown artists in Carla Esparza had when trying to take Grasso down and keep her there, that bodes ill.
    This matchup is a referendum on what, if any, improvements Barber’s made during her time on the shelf; if the one we’ve seen so far in the Octagon shows up, Grasso will shut down her wrestling and eat her alive on the feet. We’ve seen Barber dramatically improve her game in short periods of time before, like when she went from struggling with JJ Aldrich to obliterating Gillian Robertson, but extrapolation is a dangerous game. Whether or not Barber’s knee is fully recovered, Grasso boxes her up for a wide decision.
    Prediction: Grasso def. Barber via unanimous decision
    Related
    UFC 258 Clash: Barber Vs. Grasso!

185 lbs.: Kelvin Gastelum (16-6) vs. Ian “The Hurricane” Heinisch (14-3)

A three-fight losing streak is a three-fight losing streak, but is it crazy to say that Gastelum’s current skid isn’t particularly damning? Lengthy, skilled strikers like Israel Adesanya and Darren Till were always going to give him issues, and while getting instantaneously heel hooked is always a bad look, Jack Hermansson is a top-10 middleweight with the skills to tap black belts, so it’s not like Gastelum’s suddenly a chump or anything.
    If he can’t beat Heinisch, on the other hand, then it’s time to worry.
    That’s not meant to demean Heinisch’s abilities, of course; he’s a solid wrestler with a great gas tank and some sneaky power in his hands. He’s just the sort of fighter Gastelum, who’s the far sharper boxer of the two, should be able to defeat at this stage. Heinisch doesn’t have time to properly put the pace on Gastelum in a three-round firefight, hypothetically leaving him at the mercy of a superior striking technician without an ace up his sleeve.
    As long as Gastelum can keep it on the feet, this is his fight to lose. That is, of course, far from a given; he’s the naturally smaller man and Heinisch regularly racks up double-digit takedown attempts. “Hurricane” isn’t particularly adept at finishing those takedowns, though, and he’ll spend every moment in between getting boxed up.
    If Gastelum hasn’t genuinely lost a step, he’s got the skills to punch through Heinisch’s heavy swings and shut down any attempts at turning it into a slog. He leans on heavy combinations to get back in the win column.
    Prediction: Gastelum def. Heinisch via unanimous decision
    Related
    Heinisch Out To Expose ‘One-Dimensional’ Gastelum

140 lbs.: Andre Ewell (17-6) vs. Chris Gutierrez (15-3-2)

This last-minute matchup, which replaces Pedro Munhoz vs. Jimmie Rivera on the main card, was originally a Prelim, and as such I wrote it up in that format. As someone who promotes reuse and recycling, it would be hypocritical of me to redo it, so enjoy.
    Ewell kicked off his Octagon career with a short-notice upset of Renan Barao, only to lose two of his next three to Nathaniel Wood and Marlon Vera. He enters the cage this Saturday having won two straight, however, taking competitive decisions over Jonathan Martinez and Irwin Rivera in 2020. Though the shorter man by an inch, he’ll enjoy an eight-inch reach advantage.
    Gutierrez had the misfortune of facing Raoni Barcelos in his inaugural Octagon appearance, but got back on track with decisions over Ryan MacDonald and Geraldo de Freitas alongside a brutal leg kick finish of Vince Morales. He had to settle for a draw last time out, surviving a 10-8 first round to dominate Cody Durden on the feet and even up the scores. He’s knocked out seven opponents and submitted one other.
    Awful kind of the UFC matchmakers to finally let these two show their stuff without fear of takedowns. This figures to be a pure striking battle between the offbeat dynamism of Ewell and the vicious kicking game of Gutierrez, one that figures to go poorly for “Mr. Highlight.”
    Speaking as a genuine fan of Ewell’s, his flash belies an apparent inability to really take over a kickboxing match, and he really can’t afford to let Gutierrez get settled and start teeing off on his leg; once that movement goes, he’s mincemeat against a more technically sound and destructive striker. Ewell might find some early success with lengthy punching flurries, but Gutierrez’s debilitating attack will eventually get him to hold still long enough to really pour on the hurt.
    Prediction: Gutierrez def. Ewell via third-round technical knockout
    Related
    COVID Zaps UFC 258 Main Card Matchup

185 lbs.: Julian “The Cuban Missile Crisis” Marquez (7-2) vs. Maki “Coconut Bombz” Pitolo (13-7)

I had high praise for Pitolo’s offensive prowess in my 2019 New Blood writeup and still maintain that the guy can be an absolute menace when given room to operate. Unfortunately, it’s become clear that while he’s excellent as the hammer, he’s not much as the nail. Technically inferior but highly tenacious attackers like Callan Potter and Impa Kasanganay managed to overwhelm him on the feet, and those descriptors certainly fit Marquez.
    Between his limited reach and relatively basic kickboxing, Marquez is nobody’s idea of an elite striker, but a ludicrously durable chin and consistent refusal to take a step back make him extremely difficult to dissuade from his pursuit. If Pitolo were able to control the tempo, consistently get Marquez to the fence, and really let his combinations and body work go, he’d take “The Cuban Missile Crisis” apart. Marquez is just too damn hard-headed, literally and figuratively, to let that happen.
    To his credit, Pitolo does have a couple things going for him, namely Marquez’s 2.5-year layoff and underwhelming ground game. Though I don’t have any way to refute or minimize the former, I can say that Pitolo’s wrestling hasn’t been particularly effective in the Octagon and that Marquez’s front chokes could very well give “Coconut Bombz” pause after Darren Stewart caught him in one last year.
    There are a lot of question marks in this one, but Marquez’s ostensible ability to exploit the same weaknesses that have sunk Pitolo before have me leaning his way. Marquez returns with a bang, setting the pace and steadily overwhelming Pitolo for a late finish or wide decision.
    Prediction: Marquez def. Pitolo via unanimous decision
    Points Awarded:

Sanity Check gave JIBBBY 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by kobejoshy View Post
    Thought it was a decent showing. Barber definitely won all three rounds but Martin had her moments with takedowns and decent top control at times. Barber also missed weight. Martin got a couple of good takedowns and fought off some submission attempts. Martin fell into those submission attempts so that was concerning but I would guess she has improved her defense to triangles. Martin took some big shots in the fight and landed a few too. What are thoughts for Martin this weekend?
    I am taking Won't Go Distance small for her fight with Viana. Think both fighters have a path to finishing the fight.
    Points Awarded:

JC2008 gave Hugo de Naranja 12 Betpoint(s) for this post.

DiggityDaggityDo

1.1u Myron Dennis +112

1.1u Fernando Padilla -120

1.1u Parlay
    Darian Weeks -900

Trevor Wallace -600

Valerie Ann Marie Soto -210

(-109)
    1-2, -1.28u

JC2008
    JC2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2519

Laura Sanko looking fukkable as usual.
    Yep lol

magpie878
    magpie878's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7067

I seem to get dicked in these bets, but DK had the Usman/over 2.5 rounds bet at -137.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47515

Can you name any male champions who have lost their belt by submission? I can only think of 3 in the past 7 years or so.
    I remember Ben Henderson got subbed by Pettis.

Pretty sure Werdum might have won the heavyweight belt via sub?

Can't think of any others at the moment.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Fighters need to prepare to make the weight better. Hard weight cuts dehydrate you big time to point that you can collapse. It happens.

A good night sleep and major rehydrating and he'll be good tomorrow you'd think though.

Trevin Giles collapsed before his fight.

Joanne Calderwood collapsed after her fight.

On the same night @ the same event @ the apex.

Now Bobby Green collapses after making weight.

Maybe a pattern is forming.
    Last edited by Sanity Check; 02-13-21 at 07:47 AM.

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post

Benson was getting beat up on the feet and same thing with Cain, he gassed after a long layoff and high evaluation
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave UncleChael 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JC2008
    JC2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2519

Matt Hughes/BJ Penn?

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

Good luck today all !!!

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

UFC 258 Plays
    5.2 units Usman -260
    1 unit Muhammed inside the distance +250
    1unit parlay Gutierez & Maverick +181
    .26 units Kelleher inside the distance + 375

GL everyone

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5421

I'm so pumped for this card!!!! Barber time!!!! I'm going to go crazy betting this card tonight!

Sanity Check

Michael Bisping subbed by GSP.

Conor submitted by Khabib.
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave Sanity Check 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

frankieunits2685
    frankieunits2685's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3FlhbCUwds
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave frankieunits2685 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

unlearn
    unlearn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15403

Usman dec+105
    Vieira sub rd1+120
    Muhammad/Lima gtd-200/Vieria sub-180 (+133)
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave unlearn 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

This is how I'm playing it. Let's do this fellas!!!

Most + odds bets are a $100 each, the negative odds bets I'm laying the juice to win a $100 on those. Let's see what sticks?

1) Robertson Dec +245
    2) Green ITD +190
    3) Kelleher Straight +200 and by sub +600
    4) Ewell Dec +215
    5) Viana Straight +115
    6) Muhhamad Dec -155
    7) Vieira Sub -180
    8) Marquez Straight -165
    9) Gas Dec +100
    10) Grasso straight -125
    11) Usman straight -250
    Points Awarded:

Demonata gave JIBBBY 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

unitedlad gave JIBBBY 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja gave JIBBBY 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

.73 units Pitolo +136

unitedlad
    unitedlad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7803

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    This is how I'm playing it. Let's do this fellas!!!

Most + odds bets are a $100 each, the negative odds bets I'm laying the juice to win a $100 on those. Let's see what sticks?

1) Robertson Dec +245
    2) Green ITD +190
    3) Kelleher Straight +200 and by sub +600
    4) Ewell Dec +215
    5) Viana Straight +115
    6) Muhhamad Dec -155
    7) Vieira Sub -180
    8) Marquez Straight -165
    9) Gas Dec +100
    10) Grasso straight -125
    11) Usman straight -250
    Good luck Jibby

Hugo de Naranja

Nice! You got 2 of 3 by memory. Pettis > Henderson happened in August 2013, Werdum > Velasquez happened in June 2015.

The third is GSP > Bisping which happened in November 2017.

None of that is to say Burns can't catch Usman with something and submit him, but it would be a pretty special occurrence if he did so.
    Points Awarded:

JAKEPEAVY21 gave Hugo de Naranja 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by JC2008 View Post
    Matt Hughes/BJ Penn?
    That one counts as well. All the way back in January 2004. I think the MMA meta game has changed significantly since then.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    Michael Bisping subbed by GSP.

Conor submitted by Khabib.
    Bisping vs. GSP is correct.

Khabib submitting Conor was a title defense for Khabib.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by Demonata View Post
    I'm so pumped for this card!!!! Barber time!!!! I'm going to go crazy betting this card tonight!
    Grasso for me in that one. Best of luck tonight sir!

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by unlearn View Post
    Usman dec+105
    Vieira sub rd1+120
    Muhammad/Lima gtd-200/Vieria sub-180 (+133)
    GL unlearn, Hank, and Jibby too

First 12345 ... Last