THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

UFC on ESPN 16: Holm vs. Aldana (October 03, 2020)

ESPN 10:30 pm ET
    Holly Holm vs. Irene Aldana
    Yorgan De Castro vs. Carlos Felipe
    Germaine de Randamie vs. Julianna Pena
    Tom Breese vs. K.B. Bhullar
    Dusko Todorovic vs. Dequan Townsend

ESPN+ 7:30 pm ET
    Carlos Condit vs. Court McGee
    Cameron Else vs. Kyler Phillips
    Josh Culibao vs. Charles Jourdain
    Nassourdine Imavov vs. Jordan Williams
    Jinh Yu Frey vs. Loma Lookboonmee
    Heili Alateng vs. Casey Kenney
    Jessin Ayari vs. Luigi Vendramini

Last edited by THE_LOCKSMITH; 09-28-20 at 04:40 PM.
    Points Awarded:

frankieunits2685 gave THE_LOCKSMITH 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

magpie878 gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

PaperTrail07 gave THE_LOCKSMITH 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

splatt gave THE_LOCKSMITH 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

hankcream gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

spurginobili gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Thrilla

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Thank you Locky!

richie360
    richie360's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9202

One of the weakest cards in a long time, sign of the covid times that’s for sure. They keep churning out cards every week. Surely a break of couple weeks here and there would result in better card quality overall? There is a card scheduled every week up until December 12th.

unlearn
    unlearn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15343

I know Condit is washed but a dog to Court McGee? Take my $

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by unlearn View Post
    I know Condit is washed but a dog to Court McGee? Take my $
    Down to wager some BetPoints on this?

slikec
    slikec's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Lots of pickem fights
    Points Awarded:

Thrilla gave slikec 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Thrilla

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Two of Dequan Townsend’s brothers shot and killed in Michigan, suspect arrested

UFC light heavyweight Dequan Townsend lost two brothers in a shooting that occurred in Michigan in August.

Last month UFC light heavyweight Dequan Townsend lost two of his brothers to a shooting that occurred at a strip mall in south Lansing, Michigan (per Lansing State Journal).

The shooting happened in a parking lot at around 6:35 p.m. on August 4th. The victims were Steven Lee Jackson, 31, who died on the scene, and Marcus Jackson-Burton, 32, who died later in hospital.

Both men are half brothers of Townsend, who lives in and trains out of Lansing.

Jackson and Jackson-Burton had both previously lived in Lansing, but had since moved to different parts of the U.S. Jackson had been living in Atlanta and Jackson-Burton was in Texas. Both men had recently returned to Michigan for different reasons.

Townsend said that Jackson-Burton had only been back in Lansing for an hour before he was killed. “I didn’t even get a chance to see Marcus,” said Townsend.

Townsend said he and Jackson-Burton were extremely close. “Me and Marcus; you wouldn’t see one without the other. We vacation together, we talk on the phone every day. That’s my best friend.”

Townsend also spoke about his bond with Steven Lee Jackson, who he said he raised along with their sister after their mother passed away. Jackson had moved to Atlanta to pursue a career as a dancer.

“I was always proud of him,” Townsend said. “I supported him moving to Atlanta to follow his dreams and dancing. He was in dance school here and had a bigger opportunity in Atlanta.”

“It’s hard to grieve when I have to be strong for my older brothers and my sister and for my family, to try to keep my head held high,” continued Townsend. “But this hurts, this truly broke my heart.”

Zachary Leigh Diedrichs, 31, has been charged with homicide, assault with intent to murder, possession of a weapon by a felon and other weapons charges. He is being held without bond.

Lansing Police Department are appealing for witnesses to the shooting and ask that anyone with information contact them at 517-483-4600 or call the detective working on the case: 517-483-6869.

Dequan Townsend joined the UFC in 2019 after a regional career that saw him go 21-8. On the regional circuit he earned the Total Warrior Combat light heavyweight title and World Xtreme Cagefighting middleweight title. His most recent Octagon performance was at UFC on ESPN+ 25: Anderson vs. Blachowicz 2 in February. There he lost to Devin Clark by decision.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/9/1...t-arrested-mma

Sad, bruh. Just sad.
    Last edited by Sanity Check; 09-29-20 at 07:01 AM.

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

Nothing to inspiring on this card, might fade Jordan Williams but have to take a better look at Imavov.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

They ESPN mainline this card and wonder why more people don't tune in lol....on Saturday Night....

unlearn
    unlearn's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo de Naranja View Post
    Down to wager some BetPoints on this?
    Sure.. my 200 to your 230?
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave unlearn 230 Betpoint(s) for this post.

mattyicey
    mattyicey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2066

I like Aldana here

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by unlearn View Post
    Sure.. my 200 to your 230?
    Sounds good we are on.

Hugo de Naranja

BOL showing up with some nice props all of a sudden.

hankcream

Hugo, are you playing anything on Belator tomorrow afternoon? I can't find any lines on BOL or Bookmaker yet

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

All the sites are upping their MMA options, LIVE ect...

LeMartin
    Update your status
    LeMartin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6588

For breakdowns and picks, check out my video!

I've always thought Holly Holm is a Bad B and it's hard for me to see Aldana taking home the W this weekend. There's some value in Holm -115

Who do you guys have for the main event?
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave LeMartin 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Sanity Check gave LeMartin 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by hankcream View Post
    Hugo, are you playing anything on Belator tomorrow afternoon? I can't find any lines on BOL or Bookmaker yet
    Not at the moment but will let you know if that changes.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by LeMartin View Post

For breakdowns and picks, check out my video!

I've always thought Holly Holm is a Bad B and it's hard for me to see Aldana taking home the W this weekend. There's some value in Holm -115

Who do you guys have for the main event?
    I've got Holm.

Unkclan
    Unkclan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

Like Aldana a lot in this one. Not sure why, i never do well in WMMA

unlearn
    unlearn's Avatar SBR PRO

Holm dec +130
    Loma dec +125

Unwritten Law
    Unwritten Law's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -1617

Loma Lookboonmee out of Tiger Muay Thai will probably be my biggest play on this card.

hankcream

2.5 units - Nassourdine Imavov +123

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11790

MMAMANIA write ups prelims -

185 lbs.: Jordan Williams vs. Nassourdine Imavov

Jordan Williams’ (9-3) first two “Contender Series” appearances saw him pound out Tim Caron (a win later overturned to a “No Contest” after he tested positive for marijuana) and lose a razor-thin decision to the heavily-favored Ramazan Kuramagomedov. The third time proved the charm when he knocked out Gregory Rodrigues to secure a UFC contract just two weeks ago.
    He’s scored seven professional knockouts and one submission.
    Nassourdine Imavov (8-2) — who trains alongside Heavyweight contenders Francis Ngannou and Ciryl Gane — is unbeaten in the cage since starting his career 3-2. His knockout of UFC veteran Jonathan Meunier in Dec. 2019 was meant to set up a “Contender Series” bout with Gregory Rodrigues, only for Imavov to withdraw and Williams to take his place.
    “The Russian Sniper” is the taller man by three inches, but faces a slight reach disadvantage.
    As “Contender Series” announcers regularly mentioned, Williams can’t cut weight because of his diabetes, which usually leaves him out-sized by his opponents. Luckily for him, Imavov is a long-time Welterweight despite his height, and while he’s the sharper and faster striker of the two, I’m not sure he has the firepower to crack Williams’ rock-solid chin without extra weight to lean on.
    Williams isn’t invincible, of course. Indeed, Dwight Grant knocked him stiff at one point with a counter overhand. He is, however, ridiculously persistent, and Imavov’s unproven wrestling and tendency to leave his head in the pocket both look like exploitable weaknesses. In the end, Williams marches through fire to wear down Imavov with volume and ultimately put him down late.
    Prediction: Williams via third-round technical knockout
    Related
    Holm Vs Aldana Headliner Rebooked For Oct. 3

115 lbs.: Loma Lookboonmee vs. Jinh Yu Frey

Loma Lookboonmee (4-2) bounced back from her first career mixed martial arts (MMA) defeat to win her Invicta debut and edge out Aleksandra Albu in her inaugural Octagon appearance in Oct. 2019. Then came Angela Hill, who stepped up on short notice to out-slug Lookboonmee in Auckland.
    She is Jinh Yu Frey’s (9-5) junior by 11 years.
    Frey defeated Minna Grusander for the Invicta Atomweight belt in 2018, then defended it with a win in their rematch and a decision over Ashley Cummins. Four months later, she made her Octagon debut against Kay Hansen, who choked her out midway through the third round.
    She has one knockout and two submissions under her belt as a professional.
    The biggest barrier between Lookboonmee and high-level success is her lack of size. Therefore, against another natural Atomweight, the Thai technician figures to shine. She’s a more active and destructive striker than Frey, who lacks the takedown prowess necessary to take Lookboonmee out of her comfort zone. Unless Frey can pull Lookboonmee — who’s landed more than twice as many strikes per minute in the Octagon — into her preferred slow-paced trudge, Lookboonmee should overwhelm her without issue.
    Frey’s nonexistent output always leaves her vulnerable to fights slipping away from her, and the hyper-busy Lookboonmee has the tools to take full advantage of that. She out-works, out-lands and overpowers Frey in a Muay Thai clinic.
    Prediction: Lookboonmee via unanimous decision
    Related
    White: Aldana Gets Nunes With Win Over Holm

135 lbs.: Casey Kenney vs. Alateng Heili

Casey Kenney (14-2-1) started his Octagon run with upset decisions over Ray Borg and Manny Bermudez, but failed to blunt the takedown onslaught of Merab Dvalishvili. He got back on track in May by choking out Louis Smolka for his first submission victory since 2017.
    Half his wins have come by stoppage, five of them by submission.
    Alateng Heili (14-7-1) put together an 8-1 run to earn a spot in the UFC, where he warred his way past Danaa Batgerel in a Shenzhen Fight of the Night. His sophomore effort pitted him against Ryan Benoit, whom he defeated by split decision thanks to a strong late effort.
    He stands two inches shorter than Kenney and gives up more than three inches of reach.
    Though Alateng boasts some gnarly power in his right hand, his general lack of output leaves him to rely on his wrestling to bail him out when the knockout isn’t there. That’s not going to work against Kenney, a far stronger grappler with enough striking chops to hold his own on the feet. “The Mongolian Warrior” will need a knockout to get the win, and between Kenney’s length and Alateng’s own reluctance to let his hands go, that doesn’t strike me as terribly likely.
    I honestly see Kenney as a sleeper contender at 135 pounds, maybe not champion material but certainly a very capable fighter. While Alateng has the tools to be the same, he’ll need to massively up the aggression to catch up. In short, Kenney overpowers him on the mat for a wide decision win.
    Prediction: Kenney via unanimous decision
    Related
    Oliveira Forced Out Of Dariush Fight On Oct. 3

155 lbs.: Jessin Ayari vs. Luigi Vendramini

Germany’s Jessin Ayari brought a six-fight win streak into his Octagon debut, then made it seven with a split decision over “Judo” Jim Wallhead. He has not tasted victory since, falling to Darren Till and dropping a controversial decision to Stevie Ray more than one year later.
    He’ll enjoy a four-inch reach advantage.
    Luigi Vendramini (8-1) knocked out and submitted four opponents apiece en route to facing Elizeu Zaleski on a 15-day turnaround. The short notice and move up in weight did him no favors, as “Capoeira” leveled him early in the second round.
    Like Ayari, he has not fought since Oct. 2018.
    The worst kinds of fights to pick are ones in which at least one of the participants hasn’t seen action for an extremely long time. Few other sports can produce more improvement in a shorter timespan than MMA, resulting in fighters that look nothing like their former selves once they re-enter the cage. Keep that in mind when this prediction inevitably proves laughably flawed.
    I like what I saw out of Ayari’s pre-layoff career more than I do Vendramini’s. The German’s size and strength suggest he can bully Vendramini the way Zaleski did, and his length should allow him to do so without being in danger of Vendramini attacking his back. Ayari pressures and outstrikes him for his first since 2016.
    Prediction: Ayari via unanimous decision

170 lbs.: Carlos Condit vs. Court McGee

Once among the most feared Welterweights on the planet, Carlos Condit (30-13) now finds himself winless since 2015. His current five-fight losing streak includes submission losses to Demian Maia, Alex Oliveira and Michael Chiesa.
    This will be the first fight for “The Natural-Born Killer” since Dec. 2018.
    Now a decade removed from his Cinderella run on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 11, Court McGee (20-9) enters the cage just 1-4 in his last five bouts. Though he took a decision over Alex Garcia in 2018, he’s since fallen to fellow TUF veteran Dhiego Lima and fast-rising prospect Sean Brady.
    He stands three inches shorter than Condit at 5’11.”
    The phrase that comes to mind here is “diminishing returns.” Condit’s insistence on fighting from his back in lieu of developing a complete wrestling game hasn’t paid dividends in years, and McGee’s straightforward pressure game has proven ineffective at the highest levels. Neither of them will ever even sniff contention again, but I do think McGee has enough left in the tank to win this one, as “The Natural-Born Killer” has given up 13 takedowns in his past three fights.
    Condit’s myriad striking advantages won’t be all that useful when “The Crusher” is constantly getting in on his hips and muscling him to the mat. And for all that his guard is “dangerous,” he hasn’t actually submitted anyone in 12.5 years. McGee has underperformed in the past, notably failing to use his wrestling against Lima, but so long as he stays focused on the grind, he’ll rack up enough clinch and top control time to secure a victory.
    Prediction: McGee via unanimous decision
    Related
    Up Next! Holm Battles Aldana On Fight Island!

135 lbs.: Kyler Phillips vs. Cameron Else

A 46-second knockout on “Contender Series” sent Kyler Phillips (7-1) to TUF 27, where he dropped a decision to Brad Katona in the opening round. After narrowly falling to top Bantamweight Victor Henry and scoring a knockout in LFA, he returned from injury to beat Gabriel Silva in his February UFC debut.
    All five of his stoppage wins have come in the first round.
    Cameron Else (10-4) — a protege of Donald Cerrone — has gone past the first round just twice as a professional. He presently rides a six-fight win streak, all but one coming in 90 seconds or less.
    He steps in for Danaa Batgerel on little more than one week’s notice.
    Outside of his 2013 submission of Paddy Pimblett, Else’s record is almost entirely fluff. That win streak only features one fighter with a winning record, and the way he got mauled in his two knockout losses bode ill against a striker of Phillips’ caliber. To make matters worse for “Camchida,” Phillips held his own against Silva’s wrestling, suggesting that the Brit’s grappling won’t be enough to bail him out.
    Else’s only real chance of victory lies in Phillips slipping, getting clipped, or taking an ill-advised shot to open himself up for the latter’s strong front choke arsenal. That’s quite a bit less likely than “Matrix” just taking his head off in the first two minutes.
    Prediction: Phillips via first-round technical knockout
    Related
    Holm Vs Aldana Headliner Rebooked For Oct. 3

145 lbs.: Josh Culibao vs. Charles Jourdain

Josh Culibao (8-1) scored several regional titles in his native Australia before moving up to Lightweight on short notice to meet Jalin Turner in February. “The Tarantula’s” size proved too much, resulting in a second-round defeat.
    He’ll have one inch of height and four inches of reach on “Air” Charles Jourdain (10-3).
    After a competitive loss to Des Green in his Octagon debut, Jourdain returned to Featherweight to violently upset Doo Ho Choi in a “Fight of the Night”-winning effort. Six months later, he took on Andre Fili, fighting his way to a narrow split decision loss.
    All of his wins have come inside the distance, seven of them by form of knockout.
    I can’t say I understand why Culibao is the biggest underdog on the entire card. He looked bad against Turner, sure, but Turner’s a gigantic Lightweight. He should fare much better against Jourdain, who while dangerous is still very limited. Culibao figures to have enough striking skills to hold his own on the feet, especially with the reach advantage, and might have the takedown skills to exploit Jourdain’s underwhelming wrestling.
    This is a shot in the dark, I’ll admit, and Jourdain could very well just smash Culibao and make me look stupid. That said, I genuinely believe that Culibao has the skills to pull off the upset.In fact, he cruises to victory behind a stiff jab and the occasional takedowns.
    Prediction: Culibao via unanimous decision

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by Unwritten Law View Post
    Loma Lookboonmee out of Tiger Muay Thai will probably be my biggest play on this card.
    I love Tiger Muay Thai!
    Points Awarded:

PaperTrail07 gave Hugo de Naranja 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

I'm on Carlos Condit.. His recent fight losses were against tough ground and submission fighters. His kriptonite!!. Court McGee isn't that.

I could see Carlos Condit getting back on track and winning this fight by decision.. Look at their records and who they fought and how they lost.. Both around the same age and losing fights but Condit has faced the harder competition in his losses recently..

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Carlos-Condit-6765#!

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Court-McGee-34124

I DO NOT AGREE WITH MMAMANIA prediction I posted above.. Just for the record..
    Points Awarded:

PaperTrail07 gave JIBBBY 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

hankcream

.5 unit - Cameron Else + 351

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Hugo de Naranja

De Castro vs. Felipe is the worst co-main event in recent memory

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8383

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    I'm on Carlos Condit.. His recent fight losses were against tough ground and submission fighters. His kriptonite!!. Court McGee isn't that.

I could see Carlos Condit getting back on track and winning this fight by decision.. Look at their records and who they fought and how they lost.. Both around the same age and losing fights but Condit has faced the harder competition in his losses recently..

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Carlos-Condit-6765#!

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Court-McGee-34124

I DO NOT AGREE WITH MMAMANIA prediction I posted above.. Just for the record..
    I agree. If this was a horserace then Condit is returning off a long layoff, but dropping down to the lowest claiming level. The guys he lost to have all been top 10 fighters. Plus I'm getting +116 on FD. Thats enough value for me to throw it in some parlays, but CC hasn't won in over 5 years so not too confident

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Too many chick fights on this card.. Has the feel of Invicta.. It's garbage.. I'll still bet it though ..

Sanity Check

Looking forward to seeing "18 time boxing champion" Holly Holm demonstrate how she's the best in the world at...

...Hugging her opponent against the fence and stalling, to run the clock down.

Nah. That could never happen.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    Looking forward to seeing "18 time boxing champion" Holly Holm demonstrate how she's the best in the world at...

...Hugging her opponent against the fence and stalling, to run the clock down.

Nah. That could never happen.
    ^^I'm leaning Holm by decision if she doesn't get KO'd first. Aldana is built like a man and punches hard.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    ^^I'm leaning Holm by decision if she doesn't get KO'd first. Aldana is built like a man and punches hard.
    I don't have any real picks for this event that I like.

Leaning Aldana.

Is she built like a man? Looks hot to me.

frankieunits2685
    frankieunits2685's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2021

Late card tonight:

Prelims 7:30pm EST
    Main card 10:30pm EST

Sanity Check

Points Awarded:

spurginobili gave Sanity Check 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

LBfightlife gave Sanity Check 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):

1234 ... Last