THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

UFC 250: Nunes vs. Spencer(June 06, 2020)

Pay-per-view 10:00 pm ET
    Amanda Nunes vs. Felicia Spencer (featherweight title)
    Raphael Assuncao vs. Cody Garbrandt
    Cory Sandhagen vs. Aljamain Sterling
    Neil Magney vs. Anthony Rocco Martin
    Sean O'Malley vs Eddie Wineland

ESPN 8:00 pm ET
    Alex Caceres vs Chase Hooper
    Ian Heinisch vs Gerald Meerschaert
    Brian Kelleher vs Cody Stamann
    Charles Byrd vs Maki Pitolo

ESPN+ 6:30 pm ET
    Jussier Formiga vs Alex Perez
    Devin Clark vs Alonzo Menifeld

Last edited by THE_LOCKSMITH; 05-28-20 at 04:25 PM.
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave THE_LOCKSMITH 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Unwritten Law gave THE_LOCKSMITH 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Demonata gave THE_LOCKSMITH 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

PaperTrail07 gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JIBBBY gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Thrilla

magpie878
    magpie878's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7049

Gotta love when a PPV "main event" has a +461 dog.

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13986

yep main event dogs have been doing well

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Quote Originally Posted by agendaman View Post
    yep main event dogs have been doing well
    I think that run ends here.

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5361

I am pumped for this card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sterling and Magny lines look good!

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Lack of takedown defense was Evan Dunham's achilles heel when he retired.

Wonder if he got that fixed for his comeback.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

have to agree.....not a fan of wide margins in the main event.....its usually one of the more boring fights.....
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie878 View Post
    Gotta love when a PPV "main event" has a +461 dog.

PaperTrail07

I just picture burns so much smaller than Dunham but burns seems like easy $$.....have to see them again I guess....cant imagine a 38 year old Dunham has much to offer anymore

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post

I think his problem was getting knocked out. Trinaldo and OAM finished him and never took him down in his last two fights.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    I just picture burns so much smaller than Dunham but burns seems like easy $$.....have to see them again I guess....cant imagine a 38 year old Dunham has much to offer anymore
    Took a small shot on Burns ITD but not interested in laying the ML juice.

Hugo de Naranja

What fights would you say showed a lack of takedown defense?

magpie878

Maybe Nunes ITD is worth it... going 5 might help that. Though Spencer took a beating but made it to a decision vs Cyborg.

Dunno. But not a good choice for a main event.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11802

This will work!! Main event is suspect though (chick fights).. Rest of the card decent though..

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo de Naranja View Post
    What fights would you say showed a lack of takedown defense?

That moment when I confuse Evan Dunham with Joe Lauzon.

Upon further review, I think body shots may have been Evan Dunham's achilles heel.
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave Sanity Check 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja

That moment when I confuse Evan Dunham with Joe Lauzon.

Upon further review, I think body shots may have been Evan Dunham's achilles heel.
    Good point. Both of those KO losses were body shots iirc

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

Put half of me remaining Betonline balance on Sterling - 118. I can't see Sandhagen hanging with that funk style

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by hankcream View Post
    Put half of me remaining Betonline balance on Sterling - 118. I can't see Sandhagen hanging with that funk style
    Do you think Sterling wins if the fight stays standing or do you think he consistently gets it to the ground?
    Points Awarded:

Thrilla gave Hugo de Naranja 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave Thrilla 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

PaperTrail07

Going Sandhagen IMO....hes more aggressive.....funky is a G though and I like him as a fighter ....very close fight here.....AJ is tricky
    Do you think Sterling wins if the fight stays standing or do you think he consistently gets it to the ground?
    Points Awarded:

JAKEPEAVY21 gave PaperTrail07 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja

Going Sandhagen IMO....hes more aggressive.....funky is a G though and I like him as a fighter ....very close fight here.....AJ is tricky
    I'm on Sandhagen too.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

Event Background

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_250

UFC 250: Nunes vs. Spencer
    is a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that will take place on June 6, 2020 at the UFC APEX facility in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States.[1][2] It was originally planned to take place on May 9 at Ginásio do Ibirapuera in São Paulo, Brazil.[3] Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event was eventually postponed (see section below).[4] On April 21, the UFC confirmed that UFC 249 would be moved to May 9 and UFC 250 was pushed back to June 6.[5][6] In late May, the promotion confirmed the event would take place in Las Vegas.[2]

A UFC Bantamweight Championship bout between the current champion Henry Cejudo (also former UFC Flyweight Champion and 2008 Olympic gold medalist in freestyle wrestling) and former WEC and two-time UFC Featherweight Champion José Aldo was expected to serve as the initial event headliner.[7] However, Aldo pulled out on April 8 due to vısa issues as the event was expected to be moved to the United States (see section below). Former two-time bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz replaced Aldo.[8]

A UFC Women's Featherweight Championship bout between the current champion Amanda Nunes (also the current UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion) and former Invicta FC Featherweight Champion Felicia Spencer was expected to serve as the co-headliner.[9] Nunes announced on April 20 that she would not compete at a new proposed event for May 9 due to her desire to have a full training camp.[10] Additionally, her featherweight title bout with Spencer is now expected to serve the new event headliner.[1]

COVID-19 pandemic
    The event was originally expected to take place at Ginásio do Ibirapuera in São Paulo, Brazil.[3] On April 7, it was announced that the venue will be used as a field hospital during the COVID-19 pandemic and would not be able to host the fight card.[11]

Due to the event being expected to be relocated to the United States, several changes were made due to fighters being unable to compete due to vısa issues:[12]

UFC president Dana White announced on April 9 that starting with UFC 249, all future events were indefinitely postponed.[15] It was confirmed that this event was cancelled on April 20, though the UFC was still targeting a new event for the same date (not expected to be the original UFC 250).[16] The UFC moved the previously mentioned UFC Bantamweight Championship bout between Cejudo and Cruz, as well as a heavyweight bout between former UFC Heavyweight Champion Fabrício Werdum and Aleksei Oleinik to the new UFC 249 date.[17]

This event will also feature fighters that were pulled from other events previously cancelled:[2]

A bantamweight bout between former UFC Bantamweight Champion Cody Garbrandt and Raphael Assunção was scheduled for Columbus, Ohio on March 28, at UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. Rozenstruik.[18] However, Garbrandt pulled out on March 12 due to kidney issues.[19] The pairing has been rescheduled for this event.[20]

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

Just my opinion but I think Sterling is too quick and athletic and should be able to get Sanhagen to the ground. If he does game over.

WolfTicketDealer
    WolfTicketDealer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7615

Quote Originally Posted by hankcream View Post
    Just my opinion but I think Sterling is too quick and athletic and should be able to get Sanhagen to the ground. If he does game over.
    Even though I lean Aljo in this fight, Sandhagen has very good scrambles and showed it against Assuncao who is an excellent grappler.

Not a fight to go big on either way.
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave WolfTicketDealer 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

PaperTrail07 gave WolfTicketDealer 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5361

I hope cody finally wins again. I like the dude. Always cheer for him.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

MMA MANIA prelims - Solid match ups

125 lbs.: Jussier Formiga vs. Alex Perez

Jussier Formiga (23-7) — the one-time Flyweight king — went 8-2 from 2014 to 2019, losing only by close decision and beating the likes of Dustin Ortiz and Deiveson Figueiredo along the way. He presently finds himself in the first losing streak of his career courtesy of Joseph Benavidez and Brandon Moreno.
    He has scored 10 submission wins in the paid ranks, eight of them rear-naked chokes.
    Alex Perez (23-5) joined UFC on the heels of a dominant “Contender Series” finish of Kevin Gray, which he followed up with three consecutive Octagon victories. The aforementioned Benavidez snapped his eight-fight win streak, but he’s since decisioned Mark De La Rosa and locked up a bonus-winning arm triangle on Jordan Espinosa.
    Though taller by one inch, he faces a 1.5-inch reach disadvantage.
    I’m torn here; we’ve seen Formiga outclass the “scramble-happy wrestle-boxer” archetype so many times during his UFC tenure, but he struggled to implement his vaunted back control against Moreno. Then again, Askar Askarov has similar issues, so that may be less a Formiga issue and more Moreno being far better than I give him credit for.
    Still, Formiga’s 35 years old, and there’s concern over whether he can still keep up with younger, fresher fighters like Perez. It’s a coin-flip fight that I’ve dithered on for far too long, so I’ll just bite the bullet and say Perez outworks him to a contentious decision.
    Prediction: Perez via split decision
    Related
    First UFC 250: ‘Nunes vs Spencer’ Promo Video Is Here

205 lbs.: Alonzo Menifield vs. Devin Clark

After an eye injury to his opponent ended his first “Contender Series” bout early, Alonzo Menifield (9-0) returned a year later to knock out Dashawn Boatwright in eight seconds and secure a contract in the process. He’s been similarly destructive in the Octagon, finishing Vinicius Moreira and Paul Craig in a round apiece to increase his career knockouts to seven.
    This will be his first fight in nearly one year.
    Devin Clark (11-4) has alternated losses and wins in UFC since starting his Octagon run 2-1, falling to division standouts Jan Blachowicz, Aleksandar Rakic, and Ryan Spann. His last fight in February saw him hand late replacement Dequan Townsend his second loss in under three weeks. He’ll give up an inch of reach on fight night.
    I’ll admit that I’m harder on Clark than I should be; save for his disastrous debut against Alex Nicholson, he’s only lost to genuinely excellent fighters in the Octagon, and he certainly has the skills to play spoiler here. “Brown Bear” is far more well-rounded than either Moreira or Craig and Menifield won’t have the massive edge in physicality he enjoyed against those two.
    Loath as I am to pick a guy who hasn’t won two straight since 2017, I’m leaning toward Clark. Menifield’s striking remains rough and he let Craig get in on his hips more than once. Unless Menifield can catch him with an early right hand, Clark racks up takedowns for a decision win.
    Prediction: Clark via unanimous decision
    Related
    O’Malley Is Fighting Wineland Because UFC Can’t Afford ‘Better Guys’

150 lbs.: Herbert Burns vs. Evan Dunham

Herbert Burns (10-2) earned his third consecutive victory and a UFC contract by tapping veteran Darrick Minner on “Contender Series,” setting up a January debut against Nate Landwehr. After a half-round of frantic action, “The Blaze” leveled Landwehr with a clinch knee to secure a “Performance of the Night” bonus.
    Six of his seven professional submissions have come in the first round.
    Evan Dunham (18-8-1) rebounded from a three-fight skid to put together a five-fight unbeaten streak, including a “Fight of the Night” decision over Rick Glenn. He’s yet to taste victory since, suffering knockout losses to Olivier Aubin-Mercier and Francisco Trinaldo.
    This will be his first fight since 2018.
    Twice in a row I’ve picked Dunham to win on the strength of his grappling and twice in a row he’s been unexpectedly mulched by body shots. I am picking him again here, so apologies to his liver in advance.
    Neither Burns’ striking nor his wrestling have caught up with his venomous submission game; in particular, he’s worryingly easy to hit, which is a dangerous shortcoming to have against a relentless volume striker like Dunham. Burns will need to pull guard if he wants it on the ground, and Dunham, who’s never been submitted (aside from a Donald Cerrone triangle that involved a lot of damaging strikes beforehand), is good enough to survive from top position. A competitive first round gives way to a mauling as the bigger, stronger Dunham dominates on the feet.
    Prediction: Dunham via unanimous decision

145 lbs.: Alex Caceres vs. Chase Hooper

It’s been six years since Alex Caceres (15-12) capped off a five-fight unbeaten streak with a submission of Sergio Pettis, and the man they call “Bruce Leeroy” now finds himself 3-4 in his last seven. He does enter the cage on a win, though, having taken a narrow decision over Steven Peterson last July.
    He’ll give up two inches of height and reach to Chase Hooper (9-0-1).
    A gutsy decision win on the Contender Series earned the then-18-year-old Hooper a developmental contract, which brought him to the Octagon after a submission of Luis Gomez in Titan FC. He wasted no time in his December debut, pounding out Daniel Teymur for his fifth first-round finish.
    He has submitted four professional opponents and knocked out another three.
    Hooper still has a lot of work to do before he’s ready to challenge even mid-tier UFC Featherweights, but this is a favorable stylistic match up if I’ve ever seen one. Caceres has never been a big hitter, meaning Hooper’s shoddy striking defense isn’t a major issue, and if Caceres’ fight with Kron Gracie is anything to go by, even Hooper’s substandard wrestling should be sufficient to get it to the mat.
    As slick as Caceres’ jiu-jitsu can be, we’ve seen him struggle with superior grappling technicians too many times to trust his ability to hold his own here. Whether by takedown or guard pull, Hooper gets him to the ground in the early going and rains down GNP until the ref intervenes.
    Prediction: Hooper via first-round technical knockout
    Related
    UFC 250 Poster Drops For ‘Nunes Vs. Spencer’

185 lbs.: Ian Heinisch vs. Gerald Meerschaert

“Hurricane” Ian Heinisch (13-3) burst onto the Middleweight scene with a destructive finish on the Contender Series and a pair of solid Octagon victories over Cezar “Mutante” and Antonio Carlos Junior. He failed to keep up the momentum, dropping consecutive decisions to Derek Brunson and Omari Akhmedov in his most recent efforts.
    He is the shorter of the two by two inches and gives up nearly a half-foot of reach.
    A 4-1 Octagon start gave way to two straight losses for Gerald Meerschaert (31-12), who tapped to a Jack Hermansson guillotine before losing a narrow decision to Kevin Holland. He has since won two of three, the loss a questionable one to Eryk Anders.
    Twenty nine of his professional wins — including all of them since 2013 — have come inside the distance.
    It’s become clear that Heinisch struggles when the easy takedown isn’t there, as his striking still relies more on aggression than technique. That’s a serious issue against Meerschaert, who’s both a menace on the mat and coming into his own as a withering volume striker. It’s hard to see a clear path to victory for Heinisch besides an uncharacteristically conservative “lay and pray” approach.
    One thing going in “The Hurricane’s” favor is that Meerschaert is far less elusive than Brunson or Akhmedov. Indeed, “GM3” is there to be hit and Heinisch can absolutely thump. That said, Meerschaert’s shrugged off everything short of a Thiago Santos carpet bombing in the past, so it’s unlikely Heinisch can dent that chin. Meerschaert takes over the stand up with high output before punishing an ill-advised shot in the second.
    Prediction: Meerschaert via second-round submission
    Related
    Up Next! UFC 250 ‘Nunes Vs Spencer’ In Vegas!

145 lbs.: Cody Stamann vs. Brian Kelleher

After defeating Terrion Ware in his Octagon debut, Cody Stamann (18-2-1) upset top prospect Tom Duquesnoy and took a decision over veteran Bryan Caraway before running afoul of Aljamain Sterling. He bounced back with a win over Alejandro Perez, but had to settle for a draw against another elite up-and-comer in Song Yadong.
    Six of his eight professional stoppage wins have come by submission
    Brain Kelleher (21-10) picked up two “Performance of the Night” bonuses in his 3-1 Octagon start, only to suffer stoppage losses to John Lineker and Montel Jackson. Though he missed all of 2019 with injury, he’s made the most of his 2020, finishing prospects Ode Osbourne and Hunter Azure (watch it) in bonus-winning efforts.
    He takes this fight on less than one month’s turnaround.
    Kelleher’s success against Azure should give him confidence against another strong wrestler, but this looks to be a significantly taller task. Stamann is far more seasoned than Azure, has comfortably stood up to heavy hitters in the past, and can take care of himself on the feet. Kelleher won’t be able to grit his way to victory, especially since Stamann’s successful takedowns against a grappling powerhouse in Aljamain Sterling suggest that he can drag Kelleher to the mat whenever things get hairy.
    Though “Boom” is never out of a fight and is unlikely to get stopped, Stamann’s grappling edge and experience against aggressive striking look to be decisive. Stamann cruises to a comfortable victory.
    Prediction: Stamann via unanimous decision
    Related
    First UFC 250: ‘Nunes vs Spencer’ Promo Video Is Here

185 lbs.: Charles Byrd vs. Maki Pitolo

Charles Byrd’s (10-6) two “Contender Series” submissions brought him to the Octagon, where he choked out Welsh knockout artist John Phillips for his fourth consecutive finish. He’s yet to repeat that success, suffering knockout losses to Darren Stewart and Edmen Shahbazyan in consecutive bouts.
    “Kid Dynamite” will have a one-inch reach advantage.
    Maki Pitolo’s (12-5) “Coconut Bombz” felled Justin Sumter on the “Contender Series,” setting up an Oct. 2019 debut opposite Callan Potter in the latter’s native Australia. Pitolo struggled with the smaller man’s striking and wrestling en route to a submission defeat, after which a failed weight cut scrapped a matchup with Takeshi Sato.
    Half of his professional wins have come by form of knockout.
    It feels mean to call this a clash of disappointments, but I definitely expected a lot more out of these two. That said, Pitolo’s struggles are more damning — Byrd was comfortably beating Stewart before getting clipped and Shahbazyan has proven to be a blue chip prospect. Pitolo, meanwhile, got dominated by a smaller and technically inferior foe essentially from bell to bell.
    Byrd looks to be the more versatile of the two and Potter showed that threatening takedowns can stifle Pitolo’s potent boxing. A mix of long-distance potshots and regular level changes carry Byrd to a comfortable victory.
    Prediction: Byrd via unanimous decision
    Points Awarded:

Sanity Check gave JIBBBY 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

I'm liking this event as I start to cap it.

frankieunits2685
    frankieunits2685's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2021

BIG card for the Bantamweights!! It seems all the bantamweights are showing up first here live on the weigh-ins.

PaperTrail07

Liking Clark +175 as well.....this seem off to anyone else? Menifield is simply not tested on the ground and Clark SHOULD be able to get it there with Grappling.... I see Menifield with about 1.5 rounds of cardio MAX.....Clark round 3 +2000 a good bet as well but overall don't overthink a dog that could easily win....Menifield is bigger but IMO should be slower....

PaperTrail07

Perex -135 On it......thoughts....I feel he takes it with activity and top pressure... formiga may get close to a sub....but wont finish it IMO>....

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Perex -135 On it......thoughts....I feel he takes it with activity and top pressure... formiga may get close to a sub....but wont finish it IMO>....
    Perez should out work and out pace Formiga to a decision win. That's the way I'm playing it. Both tough enough not to get finished in this fight. I think it goes the distance for sure.

magpie878

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Perez should out work and out pace Formiga to a decision win. That's the way I'm playing it. Both tough enough not to get finished in this fight. I think it goes the distance for sure.
    PB's "Fight Goes Distance" sitting at -200.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by magpie878 View Post
    PB's "Fight Goes Distance" sitting at -200.
    That's alot of chalk to lay as anything can happen during the entire fight but it likely will cash and go the distance...

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

Come on ya mugrat! Harruth!

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8383

Quote Originally Posted by Demonata View Post
    I am pumped for this card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sterling and Magny lines look good!

My boy I met at the sportsbook last fall kills the UFC and he says Sterling is his biggest UFC bet ever. I don't watch pipsqueaks fight, but I like $. The other guy is 12-1 so there's that. Anyone else like Sterling?

1234 ... Last