Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Quote Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
    At the time Tony fought those guys, they weren't in their primes but they weren't shot. Cowboy was on a 3 fight win streak just having beat Hernandez and Iaquinta. Pettis was still competitive beating guys like Wonderboy, Chiesa, Miller and Chucky Olives but losing to greats like Poirier and Holloway. Lee was on a 5-fight win streak and people were saying (erroneously) at the time he would be competitive with Khabib. Barboza was still legit in 2015 as evidenced by his win streak after losing to Tony. You could argue that Tony contributed to a few of those guys looking more shot by how much damage he put on them. I think the take that Tony wins weren't impressive wins is heavily influenced by hindsight bias.

That being said, Gaethje might be a completely new fighter after his eye surgery. He's a legit live dog, but if he wins it won't be because Tony was overrated IMO.
    You don't think Barboza (age 29) or Dos Anjos (age 32) were in their athletic primes when Tony beat them?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Thrilla

turbozed
    turbozed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo de Naranja View Post
    You don't think Barboza (age 29) or Dos Anjos (age 32) were in their athletic primes when Tony beat them?
    Thor gave credit to the RDA win so I didn't address that point. I think both were at or near their primes when Tony beat them.
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave turbozed 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

The year is 2020.....TF has fought the top top and has not lost since 2013....lol....that's penetrating CRAZY......NOT the man you want to fade or take a flier on IMO......it would take a serious parlay going for me to even toss a hedge in LOL... As for the Basbosa bs....Barbosa IMO was in his prime there....Hell he won the next (3)....EB downfall didn't start happening until Khabib took his SOUL.....

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Gilbert Melendez: "If someone offered me $1,000 to take another leg kick from Edson Barboza. I'd say: I'm good."

Barboza had to drop down to 145 to find fights. No one at 155 wants to fight him. Except Paul Felder. Only Paul Felder is that crazy.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

At the time Tony fought those guys, they weren't in their primes but they weren't shot. Cowboy was on a 3 fight win streak just having beat Hernandez and Iaquinta. Pettis was still competitive beating guys like Wonderboy, Chiesa, Miller and Chucky Olives but losing to greats like Poirier and Holloway. Lee was on a 5-fight win streak and people were saying (erroneously) at the time he would be competitive with Khabib. Barboza was still legit in 2015 as evidenced by his win streak after losing to Tony. You could argue that Tony contributed to a few of those guys looking more shot by how much damage he put on them. I think the take that Tony wins weren't impressive wins is heavily influenced by hindsight bias.

That being said, Gaethje might be a completely new fighter after his eye surgery. He's a legit live dog, but if he wins it won't be because Tony was overrated IMO.

i will give you Barbosa but in that fight Tony hit an illegal shot. Pettis cmon. He is a shell of himself. He caught lightning in a bottle against Wonderboy losing every round and every second of that fight but the last (he wasn't competitive at all. he was a punching bag). He beat a dehydrated Chiesa and Miller fighting with Lyme disease and the rest are losses. Cowboy won his last three. A punching bag Perry and AI and average fighter. Ill give him Hernandez. The rest are mostly blowouts. Lee is hype. he beat a dehydrated Chiesa in a match that was stopped before it should have been and the rest basically losses or against average fighters. I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't think tony is overrated at all. I just think he is a little shady. I think he needs a statement fight and this might be it if Gaethje is in good shape.

Thor4140

@Thor That version of Barboza was prime, not shot like the version Gaethje beat.

Check out the Thomson fight. Great example of Tony's cutting elbows, or "blades" as he likes to call them.
    You are right. for some reason i thought tony fought him after the champ fought him.
    Last edited by Thor4140; 05-08-20 at 12:41 PM.
    Points Awarded:

Thrilla gave Thor4140 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Sanity Check

The new betting prop we need, but don't deserve.

How many fighters on the card will cut bad promos, drama market their fights, or otherwise try & fail to copy what Conor McGregor does.

6-12 +500
    12-24 -1000

whydubya
    whydubya's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8399

Jeremy Stephens misses weight by 5.5 lbs..more or less reason to bet Kattar? Been a good win streak for fighters weighing in over for obvious reasons (basically not enduring the physical beating of cutting)..

PaperTrail07

he will be too slow for kattar.......stephens gets WORKED here IMO....
    Quote Originally Posted by whydubya View Post
    Jeremy Stephens misses weight by 5.5 lbs..more or less reason to bet Kattar? Been a good win streak for fighters weighing in over for obvious reasons (basically not enduring the physical beating of cutting)..

PaperTrail07

only in FL will that fight continue LOL...
    Quote Originally Posted by whydubya View Post

Juventuz
    Update your status
    Juventuz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 358

Pettis, Ngannou, Cejudo & Gaethje combo for +800. It will be the easiest money I’ve ever made betting on UFC.
    Points Awarded:

Sanity Check gave Juventuz 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

PaperTrail07

Nothing like a smooooth casual NO SWEAT 4 fight parlay lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by Juventuz View Post
    Pettis, Ngannou, Cejudo & Gaethje combo for +800. It will be the easiest money I’ve ever made betting on UFC.
    Points Awarded:

Juventuz gave PaperTrail07 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

UncleChael gave PaperTrail07 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja gave PaperTrail07 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

frankieunits2685
    frankieunits2685's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2021

this time... tomorrow night.... YES

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11850

Weigh ins!!! The quick fast version..

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Thrilla

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

^^ Henry Cejudo @ 3:02

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

First UFC 249 result of the event: Coronavirus def Ronaldo Souza via UD.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    i will give you Barbosa but in that fight Tony hit an illegal shot. Pettis cmon. He is a shell of himself. He caught lightning in a bottle against Wonderboy losing every round and every second of that fight but the last (he wasn't competitive at all. he was a punching bag). He beat a dehydrated Chiesa and Miller fighting with Lyme disease and the rest are losses. Cowboy won his last three. A punching bag Perry and AI and average fighter. Ill give him Hernandez. The rest are mostly blowouts. Lee is hype. he beat a dehydrated Chiesa in a match that was stopped before it should have been and the rest basically losses or against average fighters. I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't think tony is overrated at all. I just think he is a little shady. I think he needs a statement fight and this might be it if Gaethje is in good shape.
    I'd say this could be his best win if he's able to get the job done tomorrow.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    Damn

turbozed
    turbozed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

Jacare tests positive for COVID.

UFC was informed on Wednesday that Jacare's family member tested positive for COVID, and they didn't immediately send him home but had him go through weigh-ins and face-offs even.

Would be a miracle if he didn't infect any of his coaches, teammates, or any UFC/hotel staff.

Sanity Check

Jacare tests positive for COVID.

UFC was informed on Wednesday that Jacare's family member tested positive for COVID, and they didn't immediately send him home but had him go through weigh-ins and face-offs even.

Would be a miracle if he didn't infect any of his coaches, teammates, or any UFC/hotel staff.

That explains why Jacare and Uriah Hall stood 10 feet apart and wore masks in weigh in faceoffs.

Was wondering about that.

Pinoy-T-X
    Pinoy-T-X's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21609

If his gloves were contaminated, he could have spread the virus.
    while doing the weigh ins, he fist bumped Dana White, then Dana White fist bumped and hugged the Karate Hottie. And the Karate Hottie hugged her opponent and so on. Then Dana White kept on fist bumping everyone else after the initial fist bump with Souza.
    If someone turns positive or exposed to that , we wouldn’t even find out in the next 2-3 weeks.
    By then they could’ve spread the virus to family/friends Of whoever has it.

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy-T-X View Post
    If his gloves were contaminated, he could have spread the virus.
    while doing the weigh ins, he fist bumped Dana White, then Dana White fist bumped and hugged the Karate Hottie. And the Karate Hottie hugged her opponent and so on. Then Dana White kept on fist bumping everyone else after the initial fist bump with Souza.
    If someone turns positive or exposed to that , we wouldn’t even find out in the next 2-3 weeks.
    By then they could’ve spread the virus to family/friends Of whoever has it.
    He wasn't exactly isolated the whole time there either. From Werdum's instagram story: https://twitter.com/dannyseguratv/st...57336271622145

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Glad I didn't place my bets yet on that fight.. I was gonna fade Jacare...

Waiting til tomorrow and still holding my breath that this event doesn't get cancelled last minute again!!!

Sanity Check

The UFC is testing for corona everyday.

If anyone is infected they could know by tomorrow.

Tests check for the antibody to the virus, nor the virus itself.

How long after infection does the body produce antibodies.

He wasn't exactly isolated the whole time there either. From Werdum's instagram story: https://twitter.com/dannyseguratv/st...57336271622145
    That's crazy.

Jacare should be quarantined in his hotel room.

There are infected who manage to not pass on the infection to those they're living with. Maybe its all good.
    Last edited by Sanity Check; 05-08-20 at 10:39 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: adams02

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Damn, two of Jacare's cornermen also tested positive for COVID-19. I got a feeling Dana's going to get a call from Disney, hope I am wrong.
    Last edited by BigSpoon; 05-09-20 at 12:31 AM.

Sanity Check

rsynweap84
    rsynweap84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1591

Cool meme Thrill!!!

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

It’s FIGHT NIGHT!!

Thor4140

I'd say this could be his best win if he's able to get the job done tomorrow.
    Watching more film of tony he looks a lot faster than i thought he was. I think he is bullshitting about never sparring because some of the punches he throws are pretty tight but than again on countdown they said he rehab his knee by himself jesus and did it in six months. i knew the six months part but doing your own physical therapy.? I am leaning Tony here. That stiff jab of his is pretty deadly. I already bet Justin but think i am going to wash the bet and just enjoy it. I really want Tony to win and get his chance (which i think they will fuk him and slide in Conor) tony loses he will have to win a big fight to even get a chance again unlike others who get title fights losing their last fight.
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave Thor4140 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

PaperTrail07

Cerrone by Dec +556
    Oleinik by dec +875
    Alvey Spann Over 1.5

Seems like Value in these

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Damn, two of Jacare's cornermen also tested positive for COVID-19. I got a feeling Dana's going to get a call from Disney, hope I am wrong.
    As of 2 hours ago the event is still a go!! This Jacare news is even getting coverage on CNN and other larger news stations now though.. Heat is on..

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/09/us/uf...rus/index.html
    Nomination(s):

PaperTrail07

dont forget your lotto tickets

$11.00 $1,682.53 Pending 3 Team Parlay
    Pending 5/9/20 11:59pm MMA Props Fighting 1011 Ferguson wins by 5 round decision +725* vs Not Ferguson by 5 round decision
    Pending 5/9/20 9:30pm MMA Props Fighting 1511 Pettis wins by 3 round decision +329* vs Not Pettis by 3 round decision
    Pending 5/9/20 9:00pm MMA Props Fighting 1611 Werdum wins by 3 round decision +335* vs Not Werdum by 3 round decision
    Points Awarded:

JIBBBY gave PaperTrail07 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

PaperTrail07

Venue and commission still said A-OK to go lol
    Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    As of 2 hours ago the event is still a go!! This Jacare news is even getting coverage on CNN and other larger news stations now though.. Heat is on..

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/09/us/uf...rus/index.html

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Well I guess I'll start capping and betting the fights now.. Looks like the event will be a go!!!

Write ups MMAMANIA - Prelims

170 lbs.: Vicente Luque vs. Niko Price

Despite falling to Mike Graves in his Octagon debut, Vicente Luque (17-7-1) cut a violent swath through the Welterweight division, winning 10 of his next 11 and scoring nine finishes along the way. A six-fight streak set up a November clash with “Wonderboy” Thompson, who outdueled “The Silent Assassin” in UFC 244’s “Fight of the Night.
    He faces slight height and reach disadvantages against “The Hybrid.”
    Niko Price (14-3) is 4-2 since losing his unbeaten record to Luque, and none of those fights went past the second round. In his most recent effort, he bounced back from a loss to Geoff Neal by wiping out James Vick with the first UFC upkick knockout since 2008.
    He has gone the distance just once as a professional, knocking out 10.
    Luque has long been one of the Welterweight division’s premier dark horses, and falling to a firing-on-all-cylinders Thompson doesn’t change that. Though Price remains one of the most freakishly heavy-handed bruisers at 170, his recent efforts don’t suggest that he’s made the necessary adjustments to do better in the rematch. Neal was tearing him apart on the feet before getting brawl-happy and Abdul Razak Alhassan found his chin with far cruder punches than Luque offers.
    Price needs a one-shot finish to even the series, and considering the murderous blows Luque shrugged off from Thompson and Mike Perry, that’s a longshot. Second verse, same as the first; Luque floors him standing for either a TKO or club-and-sub finish.
    Prediction: Luque via first-round submission
    Related
    ‘Countdown To UFC 249 - Gaethje Vs. Ferguson’ Is Here!

145 lbs.: Bryce Mitchell vs. Charles Rosa

Representing Team Daniel Cormier as their second overall pick on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 27, Bryce Mitchell (12-0) dispatched Jay Cucciniello in the opening round before succumbing to eventual winner Brad Katona’s submission game. He has since established himself as a top prospect with three Octagon victories, the most recent coming by way of twister (watch it).
    He has submitted eight opponents in the first round and nine overall.
    Charles Rosa (12-3) made his Octagon debut way back in 2014, amassing a 2-3 record over the next three years and picking up a trio of “Fight of the Night” bonuses along the way. He ended a 2.5-year layoff in Oct. 2019 with a “Performance of the Night”-winning armbar finish of Manny Bermudez (watch it).
    He’ll give up one inch each of height and reach to “Thug Nasty.”
    Rosa’s durability and tenacity are impressive, and tapping a Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace like Bermudez off of his back shows that his ground game is legitimate. Thing is, Mitchell overpowered Bobby Moffett two fights back, and I’d rate Moffett’s submission skills at around the same level as Rosa’s and his wrestling chops a level above. Mitchell will be the one dictating the fight, and I’m not convinced Rosa can finish him from a disadvantageous position.
    “Thug Nasty” isn’t as fearsome a puncher as Shane Burgos and will struggle to find a submission despite his edge in physicality, so Rosa will have 15 minutes to find a miracle. Unfortunately, that’s just not long enough. Mitchell’s strength and aggression keep things close on the feet while he takes over with takedowns and top control.
    Prediction: Mitchell by unanimous decision
    Related
    Watch UFC 249 Cold Open

205 lbs.: Ryan Spann vs. Sam Alvey

After losing his “Contender Series” debut in 15 seconds, Ryan Spann (17-5) won three straight in LFA before scoring a 26-second submission win in his series return. The win earned him a spot in the Octagon, where he’s beaten Luis Henrique, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Devin Clark in succession.
    His 15 finishes include 13 in the first round.
    Sam Alvey (33-13) began his Light Heavyweight run with a knockout of Marcin Prachnio and a split decision over Gian Villante, raising him to 7-2 in his last nine. He has not tasted victory since, suffering knockout losses to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Jimmy Crute before dropping a decision to Klidson Abreu.
    He faces a three-inch height disadvantage and a 3.5-inch reach disadvantage.
    Overused as the term “puncher’s chance” is, that’s all Alvey has here — Spann is younger, faster, taller, rangier and more versatile. If Spann still had the cardio issues that plagued him during his pre-Octagon career, I could see Alvey potentially catching him with a counter as he got sloppy, but the current incarnation of “Superman” is far less likely to present the opening Alvey needs to turn the tables.
    That’s the key, really. Alvey exclusively waits for opportunities instead of making them, and considering that Spann’s reach lets him do damage from well outside the range of Alvey’s counter hooks, that’s not going to fly here. Depending on how much damage the Nogueira and Crute KO’s did to Alvey’s usually ironclad chin, Spann either picks him apart or crumples him by the end of the second round.
    Prediction: Spann by unanimous decision

170 lbs.: Donald Cerrone vs. Anthony Pettis

Following a Welterweight run that started 4-0 and ended on a 2-4 skid, Donald Cerrone (36-14) returned to Lightweight with dominant “Fight of the Night” victories over Alexander Hernandez and Al Iaquinta. He’s yet to taste victory since, suffering three consecutive stoppage losses to Tony Ferguson, Justin Gaethje and Conor McGregor.
    His 27 stoppage victories include 17 by submission.
    Anthony Pettis (22-10) made an unexpected move to 170 pounds after a loss to Tony Ferguson, which paid immediate dividends as he knocked out Stephen Thompson with a vicious right hand. A subsequent loss to Nate Diaz sent “Showtime” back to 155 pounds, where he suffered the first true submission defeat of his career against Diego Ferreira.
    He is the shorter of the two by three inches.
    Writing off “Cowboy” because he lost the first fight is a mistake; between his intercepting knee and his wrestling, he absolutely has the skills to exploit Pettis’ lingering flaws. That said, he has to actually survive long enough to use those skills, and that’s proven to be a sticking point against high-level strikers.
    Pettis can (and will) blitz Cerrone, and I’m not convinced Cerrone can stop him.
    If this goes past the first round, I can easily see “Cowboy” taking over down the stretch. Getting there, though, is too much to ask. Either another body shot or Pettis’ newfound right hand make it 2-0 against his fellow World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) alum.
    Prediction: Pettis via first-round technical knockout
    Related
    Cerrone: Pettis ‘Kicked The Liver Out Of My Body’

265 lbs.: Aleksei Oleinik vs. Fabricio Werdum

Aleksei Oleinik (58-13-1) put together an impressive 6-2 Octagon start, every victory by finish, before falling to Alistair Overeem and Walt Harris in succession. “The BkofAma Constrictor” went on to start 2020 right with an armbar finish of Maurice Greene, which earned Oleinik his fifth post-fight bonus.
    He has submitted a staggering 46 opponents as a professional.
    After choking out Cain Velasquez for the Heavyweight title and losing it to Stipe Miocic his next time out, Fabricio (23-8-1) Werdum went on to win three of his next four, the only loss a narrow one to rival Alistair Overeem. A subsequent main event opposite Alexander Volkov didn’t go as smoothly, and a subsequent United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA_ violation added insult to injury.
    This will be “Vai Cavalo’s” first fight in more than two years.
    I am a huge fan of Oleinik, which is the reason it sucks that he’ll be 1-3 in his last four after this fight. Even if one were to give the Russian’s top game the edge over Werdum’s bottom game, the latter’s takedown defense is more than sufficient to keep things on the feet, where Oleinik’s bull rushes leave him wide open to Werdum’s vicious clinch knees. Oleinik will have to pull guard if he wants to go to the ground on his own terms, and even a rusty, aging “Vai Cavalo” is too adept from the top to leave his neck out like Oleinik’s past victims.
    Oleinik’s only real chance is to score a standing finish, which is more feasible than it sounds. Werdum tends to leave his chin up when blitzing with punches and we saw Oleinik decisively punish overextension against Jared Rosholt. Werdum’s stood up to plenty of heavy hitters in the past, though, so expect something akin to Oleinik vs. Overeem as Oleinik struggles for the takedown and gets mauled at point-blank for his trouble.
    Prediction: Werdum via first-round technical knockout
    Related
    Yes, USADA Will Be Present At UFC 249

115 lbs.: Carla Esparza vs. Michelle Waterson

A controversial decision against Claudia Gadelha and one-sided mauling from Tatiana Suarez snapped a two-fight win streak and resulted in the first back-to-back losses of Carla Esparza’s (15-6) career. “The Cookie Monster” has since gotten back on track with decisions over prospects Virna Jandiroba and Alexa Grasso, earning “Fight of the Night” against the latter.
    She is the shorter of the two by two inches but will have a one-inch reach advantage.
    Consecutive wins over Cortney Casey, Felice Herrig and Karolina Kowalkiewicz left Michelle Waterson (17-7) knocking on the door of a title shot and set up a final eliminator against Joanna Jedrzejczyk. “The Karate Hottie” struggled with her opponent’s reach and volume striking, ultimately losing a five-round decision.
    Five of her nine submission wins have come by armbar.
    Even if she’s proven unable to reclaim a spot at the top of the division, Esparza’s wrestling remains among the best at 115 pounds, and she’s developed sufficiently potent striking to at least hold her own against anyone below the elite. Though Waterson still ostensibly has the stand up edge thanks to her kicks, it’s nowhere near as wide as when Esparza first joined the organization, and “The Cookie Monster’s” takedowns pose a far greater threat.
    Waterson is admittedly tricky off of her back, but not so much so that Esparza can’t put her there with relative impunity. So long as she doesn’t get sucked into a striking war, Esparza has the tools to cruise to victory with heaps of top control.
    Prediction: Esparza via unanimous decision

First 123456 ... Last