SBR Drew
    SBR Drew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

The Texas commission

Currently, judges in Texas have to meet three major requirements: be at least 21 years of age; have at least 20/40 corrected vision in each eye; have no criminal convictions that directly relate to the duties and responsibilities of a judge; and demonstrate the ability to perform the functions of a judge. The latter requirement can be met in a variety of ways: Judging five complete cards under the commission’s supervision; having three years “active experience” as a judge; being licensed as a judge in a state with licensing requirements similar to Texas; or having a license in Texas that’s lapsed.
    All of those requirements can be waived by the executive director if a judge is in good standing with the World Boxing Council, World Boxing Association, International Boxing Federation, or World Boxing Organization.
    The TDLR also conducts officials training, and Mange said the commission is evaluating whether to add ongoing education as a requirement of being a judge.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Fukk The Texas commission

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Mixed martial arts judge Joe Soliz, who drew the ire of UFC fans and analysts for his scoring of multiple bouts at UFC 247 in Houston on Feb. 8, has a connection to the gym of one of the fighters he controversially ruled in favour of on the card.

Since the conclusion of the event, TSN has learned that Soliz has a connection to Elite MMA, the gym where Giles trains under coach Eric Williams, who was in Giles’ corner for the bout. Soliz is also connected with Giles as a friend on Facebook.

“Under Eric Williams of Elite MMA, I received my black belt in 2008,” Soliz told TSN. “I left Elite in 2010, and received my first-, second-, and third-degree under Octavio Couto.”

Texas Combative Sports Program spokesperson Tela Mange told TSN that Soliz answered “no” to the question “Do you have a direct or indirect financial interest in the management of a contestant, manager or sanctioning body?” on his licensing application.

Mange wouldn’t confirm whether Soliz disclosed any other conflict of interest, citing potential complaints that could be filed.

“When [a judge is] approached to be part of the event, they are supposed to tell the commission, ‘I can't judge a particular bout because I know somebody,’ or if it's something that there are a number of conflicts, then they need to tell the commission,” Mange said. “We have a number of judges that we can rely on. We get input from the UFC or any other promoter that we’re doing events with for people that they would prefer and we just go from there.”

https://www.tsn.ca/joe-soliz-judged-...-247-1.1444786