Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

How to bet the Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury heavyweight title fight

How to bet the Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury heavyweight title fight

Johnny Wilds
    ESPN PLUS ($ MATERIAL)

Heavyweight world titleholder Deontay "Bronze Bomber" Wilder puts his WBC belt on the line against former WBA, IBF and WBO champion, Tyson "Gypsy King" Fury on Saturday at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

Boxing fans are clamoring to see if the charismatic Fury (27-0 19 KOs), can become the third British fighter to win a heavyweight title in America, or will Wilder (40-0 39 KOs), prevail with another vicious knockout as he has done in 39 of 40 bouts thus far.

Here's a look at where the money is going from Vegas bookmakers, along with opinions from boxing experts, boxers and trainers, and my prediction.

Where is the money going?

Jeff Sherman, Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook's manager, opened the fight with Wilder -170 and Fury +145.

"The public has steadily sided with Wilder in this fight, at a rate of 63 percent of tickets on Wilder and 55 percent of money wagered on Wilder. We moved the price to -200/+170 and are not too lopsided with the sharp action and keeping this line within parameters of the international market price," said Sherman.

The SuperBook opened the round total prop at 9.5 over -160 under +140 and saw small support for the under and are now over -155/+135.

Wilder-Fury Odds

FIGHTERS OPENING ODDS ODDS AS OF NOV. 28
    Wilder -170 -200
    Fury +145 +170
    Odds courtesy of Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook

At William Hill US, senior trader Adam Pullen opened the fight with Wilder -175 and Fury +155.

"Tickets are slightly in favor of Wilder and money is 4-1 in favor of Wilder and we adjusted the price to -200/+175," said Pullen.

He opened the round total prop at 9.5 over -160 and under+140 and are now at -155/+135 with slightly more action on the under.

Experts weigh in

Colin Morrison (boxing sharp): "As much as I'd like to see Fury winning conclusively, I just don't think it will happen. Twelve rounds of cagey boxing will see Tyson awarded a close decision victory, and the clamor for a rematch will begin as soon as the result is announced."

• Abraham Gonzalez (boxing sharp): "This is an interesting fight and I respect Wilder for continuing to challenge himself after that close call with Ortiz. Early, both men will be figuring out how to implement their game plan while Fury will steal some of those rounds with jabs and flurries. I believe Wilder does land the big right in the later rounds, but Fury holds on and does enough to win via split decision."

• Packie Collins (boxing trainer): "It's a great fight. Two undefeated heavyweights and both world champions. It's like the old days of boxing. I like Wilder for his exciting kill or be killed attitude, and it makes me want to watch heavyweight boxing again. However, I will be rooting for Tyson. He's a character and boxing needs characters. I'm picking Fury."

• Rich Marotta (Hall of Fame sportscaster): "Approaching this one with trepidation, but I think I'm going to go against the grain. Wilder seems like the logical choice, but Tyson Fury has won me over. I think his bouts in the past have been quite dreary actually, but he has the boxing style to befuddle a wild swinger like Wilder. Although Fury has promised to go straight to Deontay, I really don't think he'll do that. I believe Fury will move, box, look the spoiler, get hurt at times but tie up Wilder when he needs to. Bottom line, Fury will take a close decision."

• John 'Iceman' Scully (boxing trainer): "I think on his best day and in his best groove, Fury could beat Wilder by a very clear decision. But I don't think he's at his best now, and the fact is Wilder is a titanic puncher. If he hits anyone solid, they are going to have big problems. I'm going to have to assume that he catches this version of Fury solidly at some point over 12 rounds."

• Gary 'Spike' O'Sullivan (ranked light middleweight boxer): "I like them both as Wilder has achieved so much in life I can't help but admire him and likewise with Tyson. They've both come from disadvantaged positions in life yet have gone on to achieve so much. I'm on Team Fury, though, as I know Tyson personally and he is a great person, and I see him keeping his unbeaten record and becoming the world champion again."

• Evan Young (boxing sharp): "Wilder, all sinew and fast-twitch fibers, at a lanky 6-foot-7, brings speed and explosive punching power to his fights. Fury, while 2 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier, is the lighter hitting fighter, but he is a nimble, talented big man that can slow a pace down in a fight and is very hard to hit cleanly and outpoint. Fury is physically strong and can wear opponents down. Wilder has a bomb for a right hand and launches it in a wild overhand manner that lands with great effect. It's a tough call, and one could easily make a case for either man based on many intangibles. But I'm going with the crafty Fury to frustrate Wilder and touch him more than he gets hit in return. I'll take Fury on points or possibly a late-rounds stoppage."

• Will Smith Jr. (boxing sharp): "Fury is an inspiration and commendable for overcoming all that he has, and still competing at an elite level of boxing. With this in mind, I still feel as though this fight is too much too soon. Fury will box and move and give Wilder issues for a while; then, I think Fury, probably a bit overtrained and weight-drained, will tire out. Big shots from Wilder will accumulate and the inevitable stoppage will come. Deontay Wilder by KO in the later rounds."

• Luke Chapman (boxing sharp): "Look for Fury to frustrate Wilder here with smothering in-fighting, taking away Wilder's lengthy power shots. But 12 rounds is a long time to wrestle and tie up the athletic Wilder, and this will finish with the Gypsy King on his back. Backing Wilder by KO at even money."

• Jim Karas (boxing sharp): "Here we have Fury, only two fights back from his three-year absence, taking an enormous step up in competition. Fury, for lack of a better word, has looked awful in his comeback. Now he's supposed to dethrone the destroyer that is Wilder? I don't see it. Three, four years ago I'd give Fury a much better chance. He has many tools to bother Wilder with quick feet and hands, an active jab, is a great mover for a heavyweight, but will he be able to put it all together on Saturday? It seems unlikely. Wilder, for all his criticism about being wild, off-balanced, and frankly unorthodox in the ring, still manages to connect on 54 percent of his power punches, and all it takes is one bomb from the Bronze Bomber to end this. I've got Wilder by KO."

• Matt Andrzejewski (boxing sharp): "Fury is an exceptionally skilled and slick boxer inside the ring. He possesses excellent movement and a pinpoint left jab to keep his opposition off balance. As we saw when Wilder fought Gerald Washington, Wilder can struggle with an opponent with a decent left jab. Fury is also not easy to hit clean and Wilder's best chance to win is to catch Fury clean with a fight altering punch. Fury by unanimous decision."

• Cynthia Conte (Ring TV Boxing correspondent): "I really like both fighters. They're both fun and unconventional awkward fighters that will give us an interesting chess match. If Wilder can land that 'equalizer,' then Fury is in for what the hurt business is all about. Wilder KO6."

Face to face

• Wilder: The 33-year-old fighting out of Tuscaloosa, Alabama, is the WBC heavyweight champion -- a title he won in 2015 over Bermane Stiverne. That night he became the first American heavyweight titleholder in nine years, and it was the only time in his 40-fight career he was taken the distance. (He would rematch Stiverne in 2017, and obliterated him scoring a first-round KO at 2:59). His moniker is the "Bronze Bomber" as he won the bronze medal at the 2008 Olympics and coined it after all-time great Joe "Brown Bomber" Louis. Wilder has a 98 percent KO average and has amassed only 123 rounds in his 10-year career. Wilder dreamed as a child to play for the Alabama Crimson Tide as a wide receiver or a forward in basketball. Those plans were derailed when his daughter was born with spina bifida. Wilder was then forced to enroll at a local community college and concentrate on his grades and boxing career while being near his daughter. Wilder is considered to be a wild puncher with a chin that has not been tested. In his last fight with Luis Ortiz in March questions about his chin were erased when he dug deep to stop Ortiz in the 10th round. Wilder was nearly stopped in Round 7. However, he smartly held on and went on to secure the biggest win of his career. Will Wilder make Fury another KO victim?

Fury: The 30-year-old fighting out of Wilmslow, Cheshire, United Kingdom, is the former unified WBA, IBF, WBO, IBO and Ring magazine lineal heavyweight world champion. He captured these titles when he defeated longtime champion Wladimir Klitschko by unanimous decision in 2015. The victory earned Fury fighter of the year and upset of the year awards by The Ring. Things then unraveled for Fury. He vacated his titles and focused on treatment for substance abuse and depression.

He was named after former champion Mike Tyson by his father when he was born three months premature, weighing only 1 pound. He gets his nickname "Gypsy King" as it has been said he is a distant relative of "self-styled King of the Gypsies" Bartley Gorman. Fury has great foot movement and hand speed for a boxer who stands 6-foot-9. He doesn't sport the power Wilder has, but has 19 KOs in 27 bouts. Fury can frustrate his opponents with this movement and is not an easy target to land on. Since taking off nearly 2½ years to deal with his issues, he has come back with two wins over very soft competition at best in Sefer Seferi (KO Round 4) and a unanimous decision win last August over Francesco Pianeta where he won every round. Can Fury reclaim greatness and beat Wilder and be disciplined and stay out of harm's way?

Betting the fight

The panel is favoring the underdog Fury by a margin of 7-5. As a side note, I spoke to Stephen "Breadman" Edwards, trainer of Julian "J-Rock" Williams (who is fighting on the undercard), and he said, "Fight is too close to call -- Wilder by KO or Fury by decision -- I just can't pick." I am more in line with taking the boxer versus the puncher and think Fury can stay away from the hell bomb right of Wilder and secure the win.

Pick: Fury +170 or better.

Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave Hman 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Damn

Tons of info here

Thanks HMAN

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Thanks for the great info! Much appreciated.

KingHawkins
    KingHawkins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21284

I was just at a William Hill book less than two hours ago, where they had sheets printed out with Fury at +175, Wilder -200 . I went to the counter, was gonna bet a hundred bucks on Fury, and they tell me it is down to +130. I put $20 on it anyway. Didn't ask what the # back was on Wilder, but maybe was down to -155

Big bet for me on Gvozdyk over Stevenson in the undercard.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by KingHawkins View Post
    I was just at a William Hill book less than two hours ago, where they had sheets printed out with Fury at +175, Wilder -200 . I went to the counter, was gonna bet a hundred bucks on Fury, and they tell me it is down to +130. I put $20 on it anyway. Didn't ask what the # back was on Wilder, but maybe was down to -155

Big bet for me on Gvozdyk over Stevenson in the undercard.
    Me too. Thought that fight was at a separate location though

ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

Fury wins this

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Fury by ko-tko-dq at almost +1000 is huge value. Anything can happen in this fight. High level heavyweight boxing. Going to be a great night. Also see big value in Travis Kauffman +1950 (betonline) over luis ortiz.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Deontay Wilder guarantees to Stephen A. Smith that he will knock out Tyson Fury, saying that he needs to win to set up a potential superfight with Anthony Joshua.

British boxer Tyson Fury joins Highly Questionable before his fight Saturday night against Deontay Wilder and talks about his family life, his bond with his father, why he took two years off of boxing, the depression he encountered and even offers some fitness tips for Dan Le Batard before he leaves.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

The talk doesn't mean anything. Tyson Fury stylistically is a nightmare for Deontay. Guy is bigger longer and more skilled. Curious to see if deontay can adapt in a chess match. Fury will be switching from orthodox to southpaw often guy is effective with both hands. Wilder has too much hype right now. Guy is a very good puncher but he has not fought that great of competition and is a very small heavyweight at about 220 pounds. Fury will be 260-270 on fight night.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury tale of the tape, performance cards, skillsets, career highlights (pro & am), with a detailed look at Deontay's mindset.

Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave Thrilla 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja

@Thrilla. Thanks for the info
    Points Awarded:

Thrilla gave Hugo de Naranja 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Stringer Bell
    Stringer Bell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2015

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...ry-predictions

24 of 26 ESPN "experts" pick Wilder to win

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6201

Will fight go the distance yes or no what you think

tsty
    tsty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4345

You would have to be retarded to want to bet on someone who hasnt fought for 3 years and only started training with a bum coach again 6 months ago after abusing his body with drugs and sugar for years.

Seriously it will take a miracle for tyson to win this

slayer14

Tysoe fury has batiled a lot of addictions of late

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

Weigh-Ins

Starts at 57:00

Tyson Fury weighs 54lbs more than Deontay Wilder.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Not a fan of Wilder. He has been carefully matched and hasn’t developed as a boxer at all over the years. He just throws bombs and hopes one connects. Still not sure Fury has enough to beat him. Long layoff for a big man.

Rooting for Fury but I won’t put my money on it.

slayer14

Fury just not got power to knock out anyone maybe he just out point wilder so to go the distance looks value play

san2c
    san2c's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Both are great fighters and can't wait to see how it plays out. Good analysis, thanks for sharing.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

POST FIGHT PRESSER

Tyson Fury admits that he doesn’t agree with the judge’s decision to call the bout a draw, but he credits Deontay Wilder for his hard-fought battle. Fury reacts to the 12th-round knockout that he suffered and says that he doesn’t know how he was able to get back on his feet, but believes that after doing so he was able to put up a strong counter attack. Fury also mentions the fans, making a point to say that there were no “losers” on Saturday night, but neither he or Wilder were the winners, it was the fans.

Deontay Wilder dropped Tyson Fury twice, but Fury also outboxed him for long stretches, leaving the judges to call the heavyweight world championship title fight a draw. Wilder talks about knocking Fury to the mat, a possible rematch and a unification fight with Anthony Joshua.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

another controversial decision

Underdog5229
    Chillin w/Goat til We Do it Again
    Underdog5229's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1604

not sure how he got up off the floor in rd 12, looked like he was knocked out and all the sudden came to and battled back for the rest of the round

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

Tyson Fury speaks to the media the morning after the draw decision over Deontay WIlder at the Staples Centre in LA.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Rigged

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman break down Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury's heavyweight bout which concluded in a draw and discuss why Wilder had the superior punching power but wasn't as skilled of a boxer as Fury.

Jalen Rose and David Jacoby break down the heavyweight bout between Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury. Jalen explains why neither fighter truly won the fight, and he agrees with the match ending in a draw.

Stephen A. Smith analyzes the draw between heavyweights Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder and praises both fighters for putting on a better show than expected.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman discuss Tyson Fury's comments on Anthony Joshua avoiding Deontay Wilder. Stephen A. thinks it makes Fury much more marketable for his next fight.

WBC Heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder joins Colin Cowherd to discuss the bout vs Tyson Fury, growing up next to Alabama football and the beginning of Wilder's boxing career.

Deontay Wilder joins Jalen & Jacoby to relive knocking down Tyson Fury, the possibility of a rematch and Anthony Joshua being too scared to fight him.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

Teddy Atlas joins First Take to discuss the Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder fight that ended in a draw. Atlas says its too late in his career for Wilder to develop his technique but his power will always give him a chance in fights.

Mannyfan
    Mannyfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 273

This why gambling on a fight is dangerous. I watch this fight replay 2x and Fury wins it pretty easy. Some money paid to one judge for sure.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

"The Gypsy King" Tyson Fury joins Ariel Helwani's MMA Show and dives into the possibilities of agreeing on an official rematch between Deontay Wilder and himself sometime early next year, and directly calls out Anthony Joshua.