THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Oleinik (September 15, 2018)

UFC Fight Pass 2:00 pm ET
    Mark Hunt vs Aleksei Oleinik
    Jan Blachowicz vs Nikita Krylov
    Shamil Abdurakhimov vs Andrei Arlovski
    Thiago Alves vs Alexey Kunchenko

UFC Fight Pass 10:30 am ET
    CB Dollaway vs Khalid Murtazaliev
    Jin Soo Son vs Petr Yan
    Kajan Johnson vs Rustam Khabilov
    Desmond Green vs Mairbek Taisumov
    Magomed Ankalaev vs Marcin Prachnio
    Jordan Johnson vs Adam Yandiev
    Ramazan Emeev vs Stefan Sekulic
    Merab Dvalishvili vs Terrion Ware

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5409

This card going to be tough to bet.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Hunt could be a lock here. Showed much improved wrestling his last time out against possibly the best *active* wrestler in the division.

The only thing Olenik has is that ezekiel choke. It should be a low percentage move if Hunt practices defending it the way Albini should have when he fought Olenik.

Edit:Olenik is russian. This card is in russsia. Olenik might train for this as if its a title fight, sparing no expense. Despite this new found motivation, Hunt looks to be the fresher of both guys despite being 3 years older.

Tail @ your own risk.

If I don't go heavy on Hunt, I may rely on him to finish some parlays. 2-4 play parlays with Hunt finishing.

Won't be surprised if this is Alexey Oleynik's "ride or die" retirement fight where he tries to go out in a blaze of glory.

Last edited by Sanity Check; 09-10-18 at 08:35 PM.

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    Hunt could be a lock here. Showed much improved wrestling his last time out against possibly the best *active* wrestler in the division.

The only thing Olenik has is that ezekiel choke. It should be a low percentage move if Hunt practices defending it the way Albini should have when he fought Olenik.

Edit:Olenik is russian. This card is in russsia. Olenik might train for this as if its a title fight, sparing no expense. Despite this new found motivation, Hunt looks to be the fresher of both guys despite being 3 years older.

Tail @ your own risk.

If I don't go heavy on Hunt, I may rely on him to finish some parlays. 2-4 play parlays with Hunt finishing.

Won't be surprised if this is Alexey Oleynik's "ride or die" retirement fight where he tries to go out in a blaze of glory.

As usual, you're grasp on reality is tenuous at best. Blaydes fuckingg destroyed Hunt in all areas. Outside of one Overhand Right in R1, Blaydes totally schooled Hunt. He took him down TEN TIMES, beat him up on the mat, and out-volumed him on the feet. Hunt's gastank even looked worse than usual.

Although Oliynik is vulnerable on the feet, all he needs here is one takedown and he's got a solid chance of choking Hunt out with an Ezekiel, a Scarf-Hold Headlock, a Rear-Naked Choke or the like. They don't call Oliynik "The Boaa Constrictor" for nothing.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo de Naranja View Post
    As usual, you're grasp on reality is tenuous at best. Blaydes fuckingg destroyed Hunt in all areas. Outside of one Overhand Right in R1, Blaydes totally schooled Hunt. He took him down TEN TIMES, beat him up on the mat, and out-volumed him on the feet. Hunt's gastank even looked worse than usual.

Although Oliynik is vulnerable on the feet, all he needs here is one takedown and he's got a solid chance of choking Hunt out with an Ezekiel, a Scarf-Hold Headlock, a Rear-Naked Choke or the like. They don't call Oliynik "The Boaa Constrictor" for nothing.
    Unless you're calling Oleynik winning this fight.

You best sit down and shut up.

We both know the only thing you'll do here is tail me on Hunt.

Do you have any idea how easy it is to defend an ezekiel choke if you know its coming and prepare for it?

Wrist control. He can't finish the choke, two on one, he can't finish the choke. If you do a good job framing or pushing on his head he can't finish it. Etc. Don't make me dumb things down for you.

Albini just messed up. He had one job and he failed. That's all there is to it.
    Last edited by Sanity Check; 09-10-18 at 09:45 PM.

Hugo de Naranja

Unless you're calling Oleynik winning this fight.

You best sit down and shut up.

We both know the only thing you'll do here is tail me on Hunt.

Do you have any idea how easy it is to defend an ezekiel choke if you know its coming and prepare for it?

Wrist control. He can't finish the choke, two on one, he can't finish the choke. If you do a good job framing or pushing on his head he can't finish it. Etc. Don't make me dumb things down for you.

Albini just messed up. He had one job and he failed. That's all there is to it.
    I certainly am. Let's get some Betpoints cooking.
    Points Awarded:

Sanity Check gave Hugo de Naranja 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Sanity Check

I certainly am. Let's get some Betpoints cooking.
    I like that you're supporting your guy.

If I remember right I had something like a grudge bet on Jessica Rose Clark against either Shagy or Turbozed who supported Jessica Eye. Lost that one.

Let's see if history repeats itself.

That said, there's no way I'm upgrading to pro on this site that cancels my winning bets. Sorry. Not sorry.

Hugo de Naranja

I like that you're supporting your guy.

If I remember right I had something like a grudge bet on Jessica Rose Clark against either Shagy or Turbozed who supported Jessica Eye. Lost that one.

Let's see if history repeats itself.

That said, there's no way I'm upgrading to pro on this site that cancels my winning bets. Sorry. Not sorry.
    "I'm gonna put one right between your teeth, and it's just gonna pop out the back of your neck"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O24mrBRit0

Sanity Check

"I'm gonna put one right between your teeth, and it's just gonna pop out the back of your neck"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O24mrBRit0

Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave Sanity Check 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja

Got a good laugh out of this one.

Hugo de Naranja

Super chalky card but I think I'll be parlaying some of the favorites up.

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

"Mark Hunt showed much improved wrestling in his last fight" where he was taken down 10/14 times ... most times hes ever been taken down in a fight in his career

I think Sanity first tried to act intelligent, now hes been exposed and is just going to actively play into the "Troll" role . Please change your profile pic to Colby Covington and Trump together
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave firekillex 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by firekillex View Post
    "Mark Hunt showed much improved wrestling in his last fight" where he was taken down 10/14 times
    Have you ever thought

The improvement in Mark Hunt's wrestling wasn't measured by the number of times he was taken down.

But rather the number of times he managed to get back up?

Don't forget to look @ the big picture, rather than oversimplifying 1/2 the equation.

turbozed
    turbozed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

Have you ever thought

The improvement in Mark Hunt's wrestling wasn't measured by the number of times he was taken down.

But rather the number of times he managed to get back up?

Don't forget to look @ the big picture, rather than oversimplifying 1/2 the equation.
    We getting very philosophical up in here...

BTW I agree that Hunt's wrestling looked pretty decent against a monster athlete like Blaydes. Haven't done tape yet but I can't imagine Olenik posing anywhere near the same TD threat.

Teem
    Teem's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3534

Think I'm just going to mix some plays here with MLs on the next card.

Demonata

Kind of like cb dollaway... such a tough card though.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11850

Interesting match ups.. You got some old possibly washed up vets fighting on this card against guys that aren't all that either..

Main event is gonna be Oleynik by sub or Hunt by KO most likely..http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Alexey-Oleynik-2027

richie360
    richie360's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9202

Personally think Hunt gets the job done early.

WolfTicketDealer
    WolfTicketDealer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7615

Not sure how anyone can call Hunt a lock when he's a .500 fighter. He might land that KO shot but Hunt was taken down (multiple times) and outgrappled by the last two wrestlers he faced. While those guys are certainly more athletic than Oleinik, I think the BkofAma Constrictor is a better finisher on the mat than either of those two. A shame it's not (+200 or better) anymore. Still, there's value here on Oleinik.

Interested on the ITD/Sub prop.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Oleynik you would think should get the sub win if the fight is grounded but Hunt is slippery on the ground and experienced, not an easy sub out... Then if Oli just lays and prays on Hunt he could win by decision I suppose instead.

Fight stays standing it's gonna be all Hunt and by KO..

Sanity Check

It should be mentioned, Oleynik didn't get a takedown in his last fight. He's not really known as an athlete or skilled wrestler.

Oleynik got the head and arm position standing to finish his ezekiel. Then pulled guard to finish. He was being battered everywhere else and looked done before that.

turbozed

Quote Originally Posted by WolfTicketDealer View Post
    Not sure how anyone can call Hunt a lock when he's a .500 fighter. He might land that KO shot but Hunt was taken down (multiple times) and outgrappled by the last two wrestlers he faced. While those guys are certainly more athletic than Oleinik, I think the BkofAma Constrictor is a better finisher on the mat than either of those two. A shame it's not (+200 or better) anymore. Still, there's value here on Oleinik.

Interested on the ITD/Sub prop.
    Mark Hunt is a (slightly above) .500 fighter because he was a converted K-1 kickboxer that was rushed into MMA by PRIDE and was fighting guys like Fedor and Barnett after two years of pro experience. His skills caught up to his talent and he's 8-5 in the UFC fighting some of the best HWs ever. It's pretty amazing what Hunt has able to accomplish with a 2nd pro fighting career.

WolfTicketDealer

Quote Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
    Mark Hunt is a (slightly above) .500 fighter because he was a converted K-1 kickboxer that was rushed into MMA by PRIDE and was fighting guys like Fedor and Barnett after two years of pro experience. His skills caught up to his talent and he's 8-5 in the UFC fighting some of the best HWs ever. It's pretty amazing what Hunt has able to accomplish with a 2nd pro fighting career.
    We can make all the excuses but the bottom line is he's one dimensional and in the 15 years he's been in MMA he could have learned better takedown defense. Of his last 3 wins, two were against shot fighters. I honestly don't think Mark Hunt should be a -200 favorite against many fighters in the UFC, especially against a guy who presents a difficult stylistic matchup. Again, he certainly could land that KO blow, but historically he has struggled against grapplers and his cardio looked worse than usual against Blaydes (not that Oleinik has amazing cardio, either).

I would line this fight closer to a pickem or even Oleinik as a slight fave.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

It should be mentioned, Oleynik didn't get a takedown in his last fight. He's not really known as an athlete or skilled wrestler.

Oleynik got the head and arm position standing to finish his ezekiel. Then pulled guard to finish. He was being battered everywhere else and looked done before that.
    Good point, maybe you go with Hunt by KO..

Hunt isn't exactly easily to take down anymore, he's a big boy.. Seems to get back up also in his fights when he's not gassed after being taken down.. Hard to hold Hunt down early on.. Oleynik not a spring chicken himself much like Hunt.. Couple of older farts fighting in this one..

I'm starting to lean more and more for Mark Hunt to win this one..

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Chin Master Expert Jibbby,

Whats your take on Hunt and Oleynik's chins? thx

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    Chin Master Expert Jibbby,

Whats your take on Hunt and Oleynik's chins? thx
    Hunts chin probably going to glass soon or as I type.. Oleynik the same.. Both can probably still take a decent punch though.. Hunt hits harder that's the difference...

Sleep time...

turbozed

Quote Originally Posted by WolfTicketDealer View Post
    We can make all the excuses but the bottom line is he's one dimensional and in the 15 years he's been in MMA he could have learned better takedown defense. Of his last 3 wins, two were against shot fighters. I honestly don't think Mark Hunt should be a -200 favorite against many fighters in the UFC, especially against a guy who presents a difficult stylistic matchup. Again, he certainly could land that KO blow, but historically he has struggled against grapplers and his cardio looked worse than usual against Blaydes (not that Oleinik has amazing cardio, either).

I would line this fight closer to a pickem or even Oleinik as a slight fave.
    You are acting like Hunt has terrible takedown defense but the statistics say different. Hunt is ranked #7 in take down defense percentage currently. This is AFTER getting taken down 10 times in his last fight. I'm guessing he was top #3-#5 before the Blaydes fight.

I understand recency bias is a helluva thing so it makes sense that you would forget 8 years of good performance after seeing the results of his past fight, but you should be more aware of falling victim to it and getting a warped sense of reality.

WolfTicketDealer

Quote Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
    You are acting like Hunt has terrible takedown defense but the statistics say different. Hunt is ranked #7 in take down defense percentage currently. This is AFTER getting taken down 10 times in his last fight. I'm guessing he was top #3-#5 before the Blaydes fight.

I understand recency bias is a helluva thing so it makes sense that you would forget 8 years of good performance after seeing the results of his past fight, but you should be more aware of falling victim to it and getting a warped sense of reality.
    I think Hunt's TDD is a terribly misleading statistic; he hasn't fought very many wrestlers, and those that he has fought were able to take him down repeatedly. Who has Hunt been able to successfully defend takedowns against that are equal to (or greater) in grappling skill than Oleinik? As good as Werdum's jiu jitsu is, he isn't a great offensive wrestler. He did well defending TD's against Roy Nelson, but that fight was four years ago and the three wrestlers he's fought since were all able to take him down with ease.

My conclusion isn't based on one performance, it's based on several. Being able to defend TD's against Derrick Lewis doesn't mean you have great takedown defense.
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave WolfTicketDealer 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 804

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Hunts chin probably going to glass soon or as I type.. Oleynik the same.. Both can probably still take a decent punch though.. Hunt hits harder that's the difference...

Sleep time...
    You think? Dudes in his forties and looks like he's gonna have a granite chin for life I think! Those KOs he's been on the receiving end of have been viscous no one in the world would of taken those shots.

I wonder if the motivation is there he has two fights on his contract I doubt the UFC will give him another shot given what he's said and if they did I don't think he'd take it, but I do think he wants to go out on a high with a decent fight by winning this. But going to Russia fighting a crowd favorite I do wonder if he's going to try finish this inside a minute and if that doesn't happen get taken down and dominated for how ever long it lasts.

Only time I'd seen this Russian guy was Albini and Albini was landing at will from memory does he have any stand up d? Can't each shots from Hunt!

Teem
    Teem's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3534

Merab by Dec
    Blachowicz ML
    Taisumov/Green FGTD

I like.

I'm not sure what to make of Johnson but people seem to be high on him finishing.

Ah now I see Yandiev has been out of action since 2015.
    Last edited by Teem; 09-13-18 at 10:31 AM.

Greenline
    Greenline's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 86

Solid value in Desmond Green, he generally goes the distance where Beckan doens't have the best results.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

MMA Mania Prelim Predictions -

205 lbs.:
    Magomed Ankalaev vs. Marcin Prachnio

Magomed Ankalaev (10-1) looked every bit the top prospect he was supposed to be in his Octagon debut, handily outclassing Paul Craig on the feet and on the mat. In the waning moments of the fight, however, he panicked when caught in a triangle and wound up tapping with just a second left.
    After starting his career with four consecutive decision, he’s scored a (technical) knockout in five of his last six wins.
    Poland’s Marcin Prachnio (13-3) used his Kyokushin prowess to rack up eight consecutive wins, six of them knockouts, on his way to UFC. He was supposed to debut against Jake Collier, but instead faced late replacement Sam Alvey, who put him to sleep in violent fashion.
    His only other defeat since his third professional MMA fight came against current rising star Aleksandar Rakic.
    I was heartbroken when Ankalaev tapped out, but I still have faith in the young man. He’s a strong, well-rounded fighter with devastating ground-and-pound who could make a real impact in a top-heavy division. Prachnio, on the other hand, may not get too far. I knew his defense was lacking, but I didn’t realize he’d just walk face-first into a known counter-puncher’s best shots.
    Ankalaev’s straight punches will allow him to control the fight at range, and while Prachnio is quite dangerous at point-blank range, his haphazard entries open him up to Ankalaev’s takedown game. As good a scrambler as the Pole is, Ankalaev is downright lethal once he gets on top. He gets Prachnio to the mat via either knockdown or trip, then pounds him out from there.
    Prediction: Ankalaev via second-round technical knockout

185 lbs.:
    Adam Yandiev vs. Jordan Johnson

Adam Yandiev (9-0) — a decorated judoka — has ended all of his professional fights in the first round, six of them by choke or neck crank. Despite this success at Light Heavyweight, where he regularly weighed in under the limit, he’ll make the move to 185 pounds for his Octagon debut.

This will be his first fight in nearly three years.

“Big Swingin’” Jordan Johnson (9-0) put the hurt on Henrique da Silva in his Octagon debut, using wrestling and ground-and-pound to easily overpower the Brazilian. Marcel Fortuna and Adam Milstead proved a bit tougher, as while Johnson walked away with the victory both times, media outlets were split practically down the middle.

He replaces the injured Krzysztof Jotko on less than one month’s notice.

Yandiev’s a bizarre case. Almost none of his opponents were worth a damn and, according to Bloody Elbow’s Karim Zidan, his most recent opponent fought in a suspiciously stupid manner after Yandiev gassed himself out just minutes into the fight.

His Judo looks legit, but I can’t get a bead on the rest of his game.

Not a good sign when coming off a huge layoff against a grinder. Johnson’s a solid wrestler with the gas tank to pursue the takedown and do damage on top for all three rounds, something I expect him to have a lot more success doing at 185 pounds. Johnson avoids a few early grappling hazards before ultimately pounding out the exhausted Russian.

Prediction: Johnson via third-round technical knockout

170 lbs.:
    Ramazan Emeev vs. Stefan Sekulic

Russia’s Ramazan Emeev (17-3) entered the Octagon on a 12-1 run, the only blemish a loss to Vyacheslav Vasilevskiy that he later avenged. He’s gone perfect (2-0) in UFC with decisions over Sam Alvey and Alberto Mina.

“Gorets” has stopped seven opponents by submission and another three by (technical) knockout.

Serbia’s Stefan Sekulic (12-2) has tasted defeat just once in his last nine fights, a bout with Adriano Balby that he was dominating before a blocked high kick attempt broke his tibia. He was back in action just eight months later and has earned a pair of guillotine finishes on his way to UFC.

He steps in for the injured Claudio Silva on short notice.

I was honestly more impressed when watching Sekulic’s tape than I thought I would be. He wrestles quite well, particularly with a knee tap he’s fond of, and his straight left is plenty sharp. The problem here is that Emeev boasts a similar, but more proven skillset. He just seems to have the edge wherever the fight could take place, and Sekulic’s lack of time to prepare won’t do him any favors.

Emeev’s combination punching figures to be a bit more effective than Sekulic’s striking offense and “Gorets” should come out on top in the wrestling exchanges. Once again, not an action-packed show from Emeev, but a win’s a win.

Prediction: Emeev via unanimous decision

135 lbs.:
    Merab Dvalishvili vs. Terrion Ware

The brief UFC career of Merab Dvalishvili (7-4), which began after he upset Raufeon Stots on “Lookin’ for a Fight,” has been as bizarre as it has been entertaining. After losing a split decision to Frankie Saenz wherein he took down the veteran 11 times, Dvalishvili put on a show against Ricky Simon before getting controversially submitted via guillotine at the literal final instant of the fight.

He stands two inches shorter than “Flash” at 5’6.”

Terrion Ware (17-7) has been similarly unsuccessful in the Octagon, though he’s likewise given a good account of himself. His three-fight skid includes competitive losses to current standouts Cody Stamann, Sean O’Malley and Tom Duquesnoy.

Six of his nine stoppages have come via (technical) knockout.

I’m normally a bit perplexed when someone goes 0-3 and stays on UFC’s roster, but I’m glad they gave Ware another shot. He’s a legitimately skilled striker who faced some dangerous match ups and, by and large, did pretty well against them. Unfortunately for him, this might be the most toxic style clash yet. Dvalishvili’s wild wrestling and immense strength mean Ware will struggle to get anything going on the feet before getting manhandled.

Though Dvalishvili will always be vulnerable because of his madcap aggression, this is an extremely winnable fight for him. Ware is nowhere near as dangerous on the ground as Simon and is a lesser wrestler than Saenz, allowing Dvalishvili to spam takedowns with impunity. Another smorgasbord of takedowns earn him the win.

Prediction: Dvalishvili via unanimous decision

185 lbs.:
    C.B. Dollaway vs. Khalid Murtazaliev

C.B. Dollaway (17-8) fought his way out of a three-fight skid last year with a decision over fellow The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) veteran Ed Herman at TUF 25 Finale. He then faced Hector Lombard, who got himself disqualified by knocking out Dollaway after the first-round bell.

“The Doberman” has scored six professional knockouts and three submissions.

Khalid Murtazaliev (13-2) has been nothing if not destructive in his five years as a pro, scoring (technical) knockout finishes in 11 of his 13 victories. His accomplishments also include reaching the Fight Nights Global tournament finals, where he suffered his second defeat to Absupyan Alikhanov in a bloody battle.

He takes this fight on one week’s notice after both Omari Akhmedov and Artem Frolov withdrew because of injury.

Murtazaliev’s as dangerous as the knockout percentage would have you believe, but he’s also an extremely raw talent. Though his kicks are devastatingly fast and powerful, he tends to wing his punches and showed issues getting past Alikhanov’s jab in their rematch. He also gassed late in that fight, allowing Alikhanov to catch him with an uppercut that would have felled a horse.

I see this as less of a challenge for Dollaway than Frolov would have been, but a bit more dangerous than Akhmedov. “The Doberman’s” chin has failed him in the past and Murtazaliev can do some real damage if he winds up landing on top. More likely, though, Dollaway outwrestles and outstrikes his short-notice opponent on his way to an increasingly dominant decision.

Prediction: Dollaway via unanimous decision

135 lbs.:
    Petr Yan vs. Jin Soo Son

Petr Yan (9-1) entered the Octagon as the ACB Bantamweight champion, a title he earned by avenging a loss to Magomed Magomedov and defended with a knockout of unbeaten Matheus Mattos. He came up big as expected in his UFC debut, handing Teruto Ishihara the first knockout loss of his career.

“No Mercy” has knocked out four opponents and submitted one other.
    Jin Soo Son (9-2) — a protege of “The Korean Zombie” — has spent almost all of his four-year career in Japan’s venerable DEEP promotion. His current four-fight win streak includes a knockout of Toshiaki Kitada, who had beaten Son by majority decision in 2015.

He steps in for the injured Douglas Andrade on short notice.

Full disclosure, I only managed to find one fight of Son’s, that being the finish of Kitada in April. I even tried searching his name in the original characters (손진수) without success. He wasn’t super active in that fight, either, mostly just stalking Kitada, smiling whenever he got hit, and ultimately putting him away the first time he really committed to his combinations.

It’s a good thing he enjoys getting hit, because Yan is going to hit him ... a lot.

I genuinely believe Yan is already ready for a Top 15- or Top 10-ranked opponent. Andrade would have been an interesting foe, as Yan is a bit easy to hit and Andrade has concrete in his hands, but Son presents no such stylistic intrigue. “No Mercy” scores another early finish.

Prediction: Yan via first-round technical knockout

155 lbs.:
    Rustam Khabilov vs. Kajan Johnson

Rustam Khabilov (22-3) has quietly assembled a five-fight win streak since dropping consecutive decisions to Benson Henderson and Adriano Martins (all via decision). He was last seen defeating fellow wrestler Des Green, increasing his takedown total to 21 over that five-fight stretch.

This will be his first fight in nearly a year, as he was injured before a planned fight with Johnson in March.

Kajan Johnson (23-13-1) went from being on the wrong end of one of the most violent knockouts in TUF history to winning four straight, among them a one-punch finish of the massively favored Adriano Martins. The run came to an abrupt end in August when Islam Makhachev caught him in an armbar with less than 20 seconds left in the first round.

He has finished 16 opponents as a professional, 11 by submission.

Someone in UFC brass really wants to put Johnson on a losing streak. Though Khabilov isn’t quite as slick a submission artist as Makhachev, he’s every bit as dangerous with his takedowns and looks to be physically stronger to boot. Johnson’s newfound ability to work at his preferred range won’t be much use against someone willing to drive through his strikes to get the clinch and his takedown defense can’t stand up to the Dagestani suplex machine.

Khabilov has a bad habit at times of leaning too much on his stand up and letting himself fall into a hole against sharper strikers, which is definitely a concern, but he generally wises up before the lead gets insurmountable. Khabilov repeats his countryman’s efforts, repeatedly downing Johnson and chipping away with punches from the top all night.

Prediction: Khabilov via unanimous decision

155 lbs.:
    Mairbek Taisumov (26-5) vs. Des Green

Despite the U.S. **** office’s best efforts, Mairbek Taisumov (26-5) has torn through all comers since his 2014 loss to Michel Prazeres, scoring five consecutive knockouts and three straight post-fight bonuses. His latest win was among the most violent yet, a one-punch starching of undefeated Felipe Silva in Rotterdam.

”Beckan” has just one decision victory, 15 of the others coming by (technical) knockout.

Des Green (21-7) — a former Bellator and Titan FC standout — started strong in UFC with an entertaining split decision over Josh Emmett. He struggled against fellow grinders Rustam Khabilov and Michel Prazeres, but righted the ship in June with a decision over Gleison Tibau.

He is one inch taller than Taisumov, though their reaches are identical.

This could go a lot of ways — Green has never been stopped with strikes, and while Taisumov has yet to show any fatigue in his fights since the Prazeres debacle, none of those lasted long enough for us to get an idea of how long he can maintain that vicious pace of his. Green has a legitimate avenue of victory if he can survive those sledgehammer punches and grind the pace to a halt.

Way easier said than done, of course. Taisumov’s speed and low kicks should prevent Green from generating any consistent pressure and “Beckan” is a sound enough wrestler to keep it standing. Taisumov goes to his first UFC decision in ages, outstriking but never quite felling the ever-durable Green.

Prediction: Taisumov via unanimous decision

Current UFC “Prelims” Prediction Record for 2018: 125-60
    Points Awarded:

Sanity Check gave JIBBBY 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Greenline

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by Greenline View Post
    Solid value in Desmond Green, he generally goes the distance where Beckan doens't have the best results.
    Tell me more about Green's path to victory?

Demonata

Tell me more about Green's path to victory?
    I think green sucks lol

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

I think Green gets KO'd in this one..
    Points Awarded:

Demonata gave JIBBBY 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

1234 ... Last