BigBusiness
    Drug dealin money
    BigBusiness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Did you lose respect for Lennox Lewis for not giving Vitali a rematch?

What a hell of a fight that was. A true HW fight with giants dropping devastating blows left and right. At 16 years old, I was amped up for the rematch, but was extremely disappointed when hearing the breaking news on the espn ticker at the bottom that said Lewis announced that he would be retiring. I felt that the sport of boxing was robbed and honestly believed not only was that was the last greatest HW fight, but it was the last great boxing fight.

So did you lose respect for Lennox by deciding not to give Vitali a rematch? I personally thought the fight was extremely close.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

If you want to talk about forgiving athletes, these are 2 jerks I can't forgive:

So glad Dirk & Dallas took it to them in that Finals.

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    If you want to talk about forgiving athletes, these are 2 jerks I can't forgive:

So glad Dirk & Dallas took it to them in that Finals.
    Life can only be understood backwards- But it must be lived FOWARD

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Never liked Lennox anyways. This was one of very few his fights that wasn’t incredibly boring. Most his career he used his hieght and reach advantage to stay out of range of shorter fighters. Of course the bitch retired when he ran up against a guy with similar reach who could get punches in on him!

BigBusiness
    Drug dealin money

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Never liked Lennox anyways. This was one of very few his fights that wasn’t incredibly boring. Most his career he used his hieght and reach advantage to stay out of range of shorter fighters. Of course the bitch retired when he ran up against a guy with similar reach who could get punches in on him!
    To be fair, he did fight boxers that were of equal height and reach. Grant, Bruno, Golota and Akinwande to name a few.
    Last edited by BigBusiness; 07-01-18 at 07:40 PM.

TeddyB
    TeddyB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 795

I didn't watch the fight and have no knowledge of it, but I think that was smart not to give the guy a rematch. He doesn't owe that guy anything. Go out on top. He won when it counted.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Maybe a little. He had 2 losses and a draw on his record, he got his rematch on all 3 of those fights, so it does seem like a bitch move that he didn’t give Vitali his rematch

With that said, he was done boxing. That was his last fight ever. He did not unretire to fight someone else, he just peacedbout of the sport and when its your time its your time

BigBusiness
    Drug dealin money

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Maybe a little. He had 2 losses and a draw on his record, he got his rematch on all 3 of those fights, so it does seem like a bitch move that he didn’t give Vitali his rematch

With that said, he was done boxing. That was his last fight ever. He did not unretire to fight someone else, he just peacedbout of the sport and when its your time its your time
    Lets be honest. The first fight against Holyfield wasn't a draw. Holyfield got his ass whooped.

Heltah Skeltah
    Heltah Skeltah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 507

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Agree wth this

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by BigBusiness View Post
    Lets be honest. The first fight against Holyfield wasn't a draw. Holyfield got his ass whooped.
    Maybe, but thats beside the point

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Quote Originally Posted by ikid2groove415 View Post
    Life can only be understood backwards- But it must be lived FOWARD

This is a very profound statement coming from a guy who struggles to read and write.

The ability to live life seeing foward is what separates guys like Bezos and Musk from the rest of us.

Both Klitchkos have glass jaws

ZINISTER
    ZINISTER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4786

Oliver McCall beat Lewis. They had a rematch. Oliver was told to throw the fight. They said he was crying in the corner because he was having a breakdown. He was crying because he was pressured into rolling over for Lewis. Lewis is, was and always will be remembered as the biggest Pucie ever to hold the heavyweight belt. His time with the belt was the start of the end for boxing as we once knew it. Everyone lost interest about that time.

BigBusiness
    Drug dealin money

Quote Originally Posted by ZINISTER View Post
    Oliver McCall beat Lewis. They had a rematch. Oliver was told to throw the fight. They said he was crying in the corner because he was having a breakdown. He was crying because he was pressured into rolling over for Lewis. Lewis is, was and always will be remembered as the biggest Pucie ever to hold the heavyweight belt. His time with the belt was the start of the end for boxing as we once knew it. Everyone lost interest about that time.
    That's a little harsh. What about the time he beat the hell out of Holyfield in the first fight and the beating that he gave Tyson? That was a brilliant display against a great fighters.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14852

Always liked Lennox but did lose a bit of respect for him in suddenly "retiring" and not having a rematch with Vitali.

ZINISTER
    ZINISTER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4786

That's a little harsh. What about the time he beat the hell out of Holyfield in the first fight and the beating that he gave Tyson? That was a brilliant display against a great fighters.
    Lennox would have NEVER entered the ring if IRON Mike was in his prime. By that I mean with Cus, Rooney and Atlas in his corner. Not those clowns that he had in his corner after he went with King and that bunch of dumb fock jungle tards! The guy was soft and so was the competition. Watch the McCall fights.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9776

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18977

Lewis fought all the top fighters and retired just before his 38th birthday with nothing left to prove. He deserves his recognition as a top 20 heavyweight of all time.

Since Oliver McCall is also mentioned in this thread i'd like to add something about him. He's had drug and legal problems over the years but he spent the day following his World title win over Lewis visiting Great Ormond Street Hospital, (which is a hospital for sick children). It wasn't publicised and I only know about it because my mum was working there as a secretary. He made a lot of sick kids very happy that day and for that i'll always wish him well.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11090

not really. it was a smart business decision. they fought and he won, whether anyone thought it was lucky or not, lennox won. he was smart not to risk it by fighting again

homie1975

100% true. in 30+ years of watching boxing, it's one of the Top 3 worst robberies of all time. Lennox won 9 rounds to 3 at the VERY LEAST

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Thread title: "Why did Lennox Lewis never fight Wladimir Klitschko"?

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18977

I don't see any point in an exhibition rematch.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Why are these two old fuks going to fight each other again now?

First Tito/Liddell and now this shit?

I'll watch both fights though.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post

OMG when i saw the thread title it thought the OP was just a big boxing fan and wanted to talk about the old heavyweights who have retired.

WTF is going on that lennox would come out of retirement at age 52? HE CLEARLY HAS MONEY PROBLEMS

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

I never thought Lewis was anything special. Getting debo’d by Rahman and McCall were bad losses. The Tyson fight was a mismatch from day one. Mike had been shot for years.

Lennox and both Klitschkos were boring boxers. All 3 had solid jabs and used it to beat up on poor competition.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    I never thought Lewis was anything special. Getting debo’d by Rahman and McCall were bad losses. The Tyson fight was a mismatch from day one. Mike had been shot for years.

Lennox and both Klitschkos were boring boxers. All 3 had solid jabs and used it to beat up on poor competition.
    good post. i think lennox had great skills for a heavyweight in terms of being a good boxer not just a power puncher, but yes, those losses were extremely surprising. i think the rahman fight was in south africa and i do remember having a strange feeling going into that fight as i was remembering tyson's KO in japan vs buster douglas. when top boxers leave US soil, i feel like they party too much in the new country and it affects their training