THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

UFC Fight Night: Nelson vs. Ponzinibbio (July 16, 2017)

FS1, 3:00 pm ET
    Gunnar Nelson vs Santiago Ponzinibbio
    Joanne Calderwood vs Cynthia Calvillo
    Paul Felder vs Stevie Ray
    Ryan Janes vs Jack Marshman
    Paul Graig vs Khalil Rountree
    James Mulheron vs Justin Willis

FS1, 1:00 pm ET
    Bobby Nash vs Danny Roberts
    Alexandre Pantoja vs Neil Seery
    Galore Bofando vs Charlie Ward
    Brett Johns vs Albert Morales
    Amanda Lemos vs Leslie Smith

Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

GunShard gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Some decent fights scattered throughout. Both the main and co-main events are good

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Good Stuff

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

looks like early action coming in on Ponzinibbio

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

I have faith in Nelsons takedowns. He gets them although it doesnt always look so pretty. Either by strikes or by something in between. Dropped thatch and jouban. Also set up td by strikes in the vs tumenov. Ponzinibbio isnt a good bet at current price. I would need to see +300 to bet it.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by bjpenn85 View Post
    I have faith in Nelsons takedowns. He gets them although it doesnt always look so pretty. Either by strikes or by something in between. Dropped thatch and jouban. Also set up td by strikes in the vs tumenov. Ponzinibbio isnt a good bet at current price. I would need to see +300 to bet it.
    That Club 'n Sub is real. Nelson is such a good finisher

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Conor is training for Floyd & might not be able to help Gunnar Nelson prepare as much as he did in past fights. Its tough to predict whether that will make a difference. Gunnar Nelson might not be as sharp on his feet as he usually is. So many intangibles & unquantifiable variables in MMA fights.
    Points Awarded:

UncleChael gave Sanity Check 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11546

Double post
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 07-10-17 at 10:53 PM.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

So this card got next up... Looks decent at a quick glance..

I give Ponz a very good chance against Gunnar Nelson.. Ponz has beaten some tough guys http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Santi...zinibbio-64593

Ty$
    Ty$'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1275

IDK Jibbs Gunnar has only lost to other guys that can control him. I say he finds a way to mat eventually and subs him. Definitely over 1.5 I'd say. Gunnar has taken out big strikers already. This fight could go past 3 rounds too.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ty$ View Post
    IDK Jibbs Gunnar has only lost to other guys that can control him. I say he finds a way to mat eventually and subs him. Definitely over 1.5 I'd say. Gunnar has taken out big strikers already. This fight could go past 3 rounds too.
    Gunnar by sub is certainly a solid hedge option if the odds are right.. Ponz is tough though and has never lost by submission..

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gunnar will win this

bjpenn85

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Gunnar by sub is certainly a solid hedge option if the odds are right.. Ponz is tough though and has never lost by submission..
    Never lost because he never gets taken down. When gunnar takes him down, im sure hes blackbelt will help him a little bit. But its not enough to withstand the sub from happening at some point, i believe. Laflare had him in many dangerous positions nelson would have snapped a sub easy so you cant blindly look at sherdog jibby. Gotta watch the tape!

Hugo de Naranja

Never lost because he never gets taken down. When gunnar takes him down, im sure hes blackbelt will help him a little bit. But its not enough to withstand the sub from happening at some point, i believe. Laflare had him in many dangerous positions nelson would have snapped a sub easy so you cant blindly look at sherdog jibby. Gotta watch the tape!
    Ponz gets taken down and knocked down plenty. Not sure what you're talking about here

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

BJ I know Gunnar Nelson well and his skills and I know Ponz and don't ever think I don't watch tapes.. I just reference Sherdog because it's easy and straight forward.. I can't post Fight Pass vids either..

Gunnar is decent on the ground but not like Demian Maia.. Gunnar is also hit and miss in fights, has that stupid ass karate style stand up that won't work against elite strikers...

I do think GN has a good chance of winning though and that's why I said Gunnar by sub is a solid hedge if he can get the fight to the ground.. I wouldn't brush off Ponz with an automatic loss to Gunnar though... Dude is what 6-2 in the UFC, on a 4 fight win streak, tall fighter and will be able to hold his own against Gunnar I believe..

We'll see what happens?.. I'll probably play it Ponz by dec and Gunnar by sub as a hedge..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 07-12-17 at 12:57 AM.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo de Naranja View Post
    Ponz gets taken down and knocked down plenty. Not sure what you're talking about here
    Right BJ is talking out of his ass... Ponz is not dead in the water when taken down.. Like I said he's never been sub'd and has many more pro fights then Gunnar Nelson.. Can't write the guy off just like that, he is on 4 fight win streak in the UFC against decent guys.. Tough guys..

firekillex

damian maia has a 31% takedown accuracy hes not even that great at take downs as you think he is imo.... he just creates scrambles or jumps guard finds different ways to get the fight to the mat or even chain wrestles and jumps on the guys back, hes been stuffed on takedowns more then any fighter ive ever seen imo

and Gunnars last 2 fights were against above average strikers in Jouban and Tumenov ( who beat larkin in a striking match )
    Santiago has fought 2 top level ufc guys and lost to both so far, Gunnar is top 10 material as well so lets see if he can beat a top guy this time if not hes 0-3 and gatekeeper status which i think is very likely

and santiago was taken down at will versus Laflare 5 takedowns and he was passing positions but Laflare isnt really a submission threat at all ( only has 1 sub in the UFC) so you cant really say Ponzinbio can defend submissions until an elite sub artist is ontop of him ) imo

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Ponz is not a fish out water on the ground..

Ponzinibbio (24-3) has quietly put together one heck of a run, winning four straight, including two by TKO. The Argentinian striker has only lost to Lorenz Larkin since 2013, emerging victorious six of his last seven fights. Ponzinibbio, 30, trains out of Rio de Janeiro and is an alum of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil.

firekillex

6-2 lost to both guys top 15 talent
    and his best win outta those 6 was against a 26th ranked guy currently
    Gunnar is a better fighter , Ponzinibbio is a solid striker but Gunnar has more skills in his arsenal period imo

Hugo de Naranja

Right BJ is talking out of his ass... Ponz is not dead in the water when taken down.. Like I said he's never been sub'd and has many more pro fights then Gunnar Nelson.. Can't write the guy off just like that, he is on 4 fight win streak in the UFC against decent guys.. Tough guys..
    I think Gunnar wins but I like Ponz decision as a hedge. Ponz no easy out.

Hugo de Naranja

What worries me about Ponz is that his kicks get caught all the time (potentially leading to TDs) and Gunnar is an excellent finisher on the ground. He can also get the fight to the mat by scoring traditional American-style TDs, clinch trips, or knocking Ponz down like he did against Jouban. I think the chin of Ponz isn't terrible but it is overrated and he's been dropped in several fights.

bjpenn85

Last year i bet ponz, i have much respect for him. And as i said, hes a black belt. But both his footwork and his tdd represent threat to gunnar. Gunnar has a very good chin, so the fight may end up looking like the gunnar vs rick story fight.

But i dont think it will end that way, i also will use ponz dec as a hedge.

Hugo de Naranja

Last year i bet ponz, i have much respect for him. And as i said, hes a black belt. But both his footwork and his tdd represent threat to gunnar. Gunnar has a very good chin, so the fight may end up looking like the gunnar vs rick story fight.

But i dont think it will end that way, i also will use ponz dec as a hedge.
    He does have a good chin. Can't think of a time where he was knocked down despite taking some big shots. Both guys a bit hittable imo

bjpenn85

Last two fights he hasnt been taken down at all? Isnt that statement 100% incorrect?

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Agreed.. If Ponz is to win it's probably gonna be by decision.. Gunnar is hard to KO or SUB, fights at distance as well with slightly better then average defense...

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5318

One of my favorite fighters David teymur is fighting go Sweden represent.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

UFC Fight Night 113 - Lightweight 3 rounds - The SSE Hydro - Glascow, Scotland - FS1
    Sun 7/16 1201 Stevie Ray -125 o2½ -240
    4:30PM 1202 Paul Felder -105 u2½ +180

Paul Felder vs Stevie Ray at even money is an interesting scrap.. Felder brings it in every fight but I don't trust him.. I've lost money betting on Felder in the past and am a little gun shy..

Paul has won 3 of 4 but average guys.. http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Paul-Felder-68205

Stevie has never been KO'd and has won 5 of 6 in the UFC.. http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Steven-Ray-59838

Felder wins his fights by KO mostly so I'm not sure Felder can drop Stevie or out point him round after round...

Kinda liking Stevie and by decision in this one.. Anyone have thoughts on this fight?

Last edited by JIBBBY; 07-12-17 at 01:21 PM.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by Demonata View Post
    One of my favorite fighters David teymur is fighting go Sweden represent.
    David has been a money train for me but this is actually his older brother Daniel Teymur who is making his UFC debut.

Hugo de Naranja

Paul Felder vs Stevie Ray at even money is an interesting scrap.. Felder brings it in every fight but I don't trust him.. I've lost money betting on Felder in the past and am a little gun shy..

Paul has won 3 of 4 but average guys.. http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Paul-Felder-68205

Stevie has never been KO'd and has won 5 of 6 in the UFC.. http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Steven-Ray-59838

Felder wins his fights by KO mostly so I'm not sure Felder can drop Stevie or out point him round after round...

Kinda liking Stevie and by decision in this one.. Anyone have thoughts on this fight?

Totally on board. Ray (-110) is my biggest bet of the card so far. The only fight he lost in the UFC he was outwrestled. I think it will be a tight kickboxing match where Ray edges rounds. I think the fact that it is in Scotland also makes a big difference. Felder is always in close fights and Scottish judges will likely give any close rounds to the hometown fighter (think Theodorou vs. Ferreira or Markos vs. Esparza type stuff).

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

This is another one of those off time Sunday cards in Glasgow, Scottland.. Uggggh... These cards can be tricky...

Been to Glasgow and spent a bit of time over there... Kinda funny the Scotts are hosting a UFC event and in Glasgow..
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 07-12-17 at 01:27 PM.

Sirius
    Sirius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 612

Hey all

I was gonna say look no further than the location. Gotta take homie... I was against Ray in his last fight and was impressed...

Same case for JoJo at home... I think Calvillo is prime for a set back but Calderwood sort of plods along so I may lay off it.

Never heard of Smith's Brazilian opponent, Lemos, but she's undefeated and gets KOs. I am ultra fade on Smith...just looks like an old loser (Seery, the same).

I also heavily lean against Jane, Marshman beats him up, and that fker "bearjew" he got me off to a terrible start in his last fight. What is he going to do against Rountree but get hit? ...comes down to Rountree fighting to stay up....same with Marshman it seems.

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    Hey all

I was gonna say look no further than the location. Gotta take homie... I was against Ray in his last fight and was impressed...

Same case for JoJo at home... I think Calvillo is prime for a set back but Calderwood sort of plods along so I may lay off it.

Never heard of Smith's Brazilian opponent, Lemos, but she's undefeated and gets KOs. I am ultra fade on Smith...just looks like an old loser (Seery, the same).

I also heavily lean against Jane, Marshman beats him up, and that fker "bearjew" he got me off to a terrible start in his last fight. What is he going to do against Rountree but get hit? ...comes down to Rountree fighting to stay up....same with Marshman it seems.
    Think the line is a bit off in Calvillo+Calderwood. I like Calvillo a lot and think she can go far but JoJo is a huge step over a jobber like Amanda Cooper or a very inexperienced fighter like Pearl Gonzalez.

Also, I also don't think Leslie Smith is any good but Lemos doesn't impress me much either.

Ty$

UFC Fight Night 113 - Lightweight 3 rounds - The SSE Hydro - Glascow, Scotland - FS1
    Sun 7/16 1201 Stevie Ray -125 o2½ -240
    4:30PM 1202 Paul Felder -105 u2½ +180

Stevie Ray didn't impress me against Joe Lauzon. This fight will be extra close and if Stevie fights like he did against Joe he will lose. The easy pick is OVER 2.5.

Ty$

Think the line is a bit off in Calvillo+Calderwood. I like Calvillo a lot and think she can go far but JoJo is a huge step over a jobber like Amanda Cooper or a very inexperienced fighter like Pearl Gonzalez.

Also, I also don't think Leslie Smith is any good but Lemos doesn't impress me much either.
    You're right but I think she takes JOJO down and gets an easy sub. I like this sexy mexi a lot!!!!

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by Ty$ View Post
    Stevie Ray didn't impress me against Joe Lauzon. This fight will be extra close and if Stevie fights like he did against Joe he will lose. The easy pick is OVER 2.5.
    What didn't impress you? Lauzon steamrolled him early but he does that against a lot of guys. Ray pieced him up for the later rounds. Although TDD is still a liability, I don't think it will play much of a role in his matchup.

1234 ... Last