THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Thompson (June 18, 2016)

FOX Sports 1, 10:30 p.m. ET
    Rory MacDonald vs. Stephen Thompson
    Donald Cerrone vs. Patrick Cote
    Steve Bosse vs. Sean O'Connell
    Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Thibault Gouti
    Valerie Letourneau vs. Joanne Calderwood

FOX Sports 1, 8:30 p.m. ET
    Jason Saggo vs. Leandro Silva
    Misha Cirkunov vs. Ion Cutelaba
    Tamdan McCrory vs. Krzysztof Jotko
    Chris Beal vs. Joe Soto

UFC Fight Pass 6:45 p.m. ET
    Elias Theodorou vs. Sam Alvey
    Randa Markos vs. Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger
    Alex Garcia vs. Colby Covington
    Ali Bagautinov vs. Geane Herrera

Points Awarded:

JIBBBY gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Thrilla gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Unwritten Law gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1896

I want everyone to win money. Follow me to victory. Always bet on fighters with high fight IQ.

Stephen Thompson -115 to defeat Rory Macdonald.

"To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." -Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle." -Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." -Bruce Lee
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: vokyruk

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11790

I'm on Wonder boy.. Should be a good fight until Rory gets dropped..

Rory's only chance is to take the fight to the ground IMO.. Use his wrestling and experience.. Rory is bit more well rounded then Wonderboy and has big heart.. I'm just not convinced he can take Wonderboy down and or keep him there..
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 06-07-16 at 10:14 PM.

Ultimatemeatball
    Ultimatemeatball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 999

I was on Thompson when the line opened. Respect both fighters immensely. A shame someone has to lose.

Ty$
    Ty$'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1275

I'll be on Rory

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

thinking about going big on rory here, perfect fight for him to win . Wonderboy has looked great lately but i dont see him being able to take out rory macdonald i think rory will fight him just like matt brown did and be able to beat him up close and take him down/grind him out then possibly tko him from mount or ontop especially at +100 odds i really like him in this , plus hes fighting his last fight on his ufc contract he needs a big win to set up his future hes gonna be training like a beast for this fight plus he trains with a bunch of kickers up at tristar and has trained with wonderboy before, i dont think hell fall for any of his flashy kicks and get caught

firekillex

the donald cerrone/ pat cote fight is a really hard one to gauge gonna have to watch some more film for that fight
    cerrone moving up in weight and cote is originally a middleweight , guy even fought for the belt against anderson silva Plus hes even fought at 205 against tito ortiz so the dudes gonna be a lot bigger the cerrone here, plus his chin is made of granite. Cerrone could pick him apart with kicks from distance for 3 rounds but im not sure how this will play out hmm its a tough pick might have to roll with cote if the odds go up a bit higher +170 range

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by firekillex View Post
    the donald cerrone/ pat cote fight is a really hard one to gauge gonna have to watch some more film for that fight
    cerrone moving up in weight and cote is originally a middleweight , guy even fought for the belt against anderson silva Plus hes even fought at 205 against tito ortiz so the dudes gonna be a lot bigger the cerrone here, plus his chin is made of granite. Cerrone could pick him apart with kicks from distance for 3 rounds but im not sure how this will play out hmm its a tough pick might have to roll with cote if the odds go up a bit higher +170 range
    It really is a tough fight to gauge fire.. I thought the same when this fight was announced.....

My initial lean is towards Cowboy, because of his speed and technique with his striking.. Kicks especially... Cote should get peppered.. Still Cote has a chin and is tough as nails, if he can work the body of Cowboy or just out tough him he could win this fight by late stoppage.. Patrick Cote has looked good in recent fights.. If these guys start trading I give the advantage to Cote.....

Still leaning Cowboy but ever so slightly... If Cowboy fights smart and decides to take Cote down he'll win.. Not his style though.. He prefers to man up standing in fights..
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 06-07-16 at 10:15 PM.

firekillex

it should be a standup fight, i highly doubt cowboy would be able to take cote down, if anybody is going for a takedown cote might try to smother him ontop because hes the bigger guy along with grinding him on the fence but i think these guys will just come out swinging ... cote has the chin and power cerrone has the speed and technique so the more i think about it the more i like the cote value, i want to see if the value goes up a bit more before biting though, cote definitely a live dog here especially in his home country

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

Gonna take Rory mac

Heyeverybody99
    Heyeverybody99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3245

Cote +155 is the bet of the century.

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

Quote Originally Posted by Heyeverybody99 View Post
    Cote +155 is the bet of the century.
    Why?

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

The Barn Cat..!

bjpenn85

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    The Barn Cat..!
    If Jotko implements a sprawl and brawl he may have some difficulty with Jotkos striking. I doubt that Jotko will grapple with him after seeing his ground skills against Salman. What a beast.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Cote isn't RDA and he's not gonna walk right thru Cowboy.. Bet of the century is far fetched..

Cote has a chance but he still could get out pointed in this scrap.. Cowboy Cerrone is hard to beat unless he gets kicked in the gut repeatedly, grapple humped, or just absolutely bullied like RDA did to him right from the start.. Cote is just a tiny bit slow and methodical with his striking and he should get beat up in all reality round after round..

Tough call but still leaning Cowboy by decision.
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 06-08-16 at 03:14 PM.

Ty$

I think Cotes size and better boxing will prove to be a problem for Cerrone... Cote by Dec or KO
    Points Awarded:

Thrilla gave Ty$ 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Last edited by Thrilla; 06-08-16 at 02:24 PM.
    Points Awarded:

JIBBBY gave Thrilla 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

firekillex

dont put much stock into that fight whittaker was young in the sport and hes much better at MW looks like a completely different fighter

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ty$ View Post
    I think Cotes size and better boxing will prove to be a problem for Cerrone... Cote by Dec or KO
    Does he have better boxing then Cowboy? I guess if it's a pure boxing match.. Perhaps Ty.. Cowboy does fight with his chin up which I hate..

Cowboy certainly has better MT and will have the slight speed advantage.. Size really isn't a huge advantage if the fight stays standing unless Cote is working the clinch and grinding Cowboy against the cage entire time IMO..

If Cote does get in a timely take down he'll have to deal with those quick sneaking triangles of Cowboy..

Cowboy is still very skilled off his back even though he hasn't really fought off his back much in recent years...
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 06-08-16 at 03:17 PM.

firekillex

this fight is almost a toss up in my eyes so i see value in the dog
    thats basically what im seeing here, both tough solid fighters, cerrone has the bigger wins but hes moving up in weight , he looked pretty good last fight but cote is much better then spanish cowboy and a lot tougher i highly doubt he gets finished by cerrone so its either cerrone decision or cote straight up dog

CaptChaos145
    CaptChaos145's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1637

thinking about going big on rory here, perfect fight for him to win . Wonderboy has looked great lately but i dont see him being able to take out rory macdonald i think rory will fight him just like matt brown did and be able to beat him up close and take him down/grind him out then possibly tko him from mount or ontop especially at +100 odds i really like him in this , plus hes fighting his last fight on his ufc contract he needs a big win to set up his future hes gonna be training like a beast for this fight plus he trains with a bunch of kickers up at tristar and has trained with wonderboy before, i dont think hell fall for any of his flashy kicks and get caught
    Wonderboy's fight with Matt Brown is old news. Wonderboy has improved his mma game immensely since then. Plus Rory is not a brawler like Brown. He's more of a finesse fighter much like Wonderboy.

bjpenn85

Quote Originally Posted by CaptChaos145 View Post
    Wonderboy's fight with Matt Brown is old news. Wonderboy has improved his mma game immensely since then. Plus Rory is not a brawler like Brown. He's more of a finesse fighter much like Wonderboy.
    Well..how did that work for Hendricks? Rory cant grind on him for 5 rounds, that razor sharp jab wont affect Wonderboys timing and striking. Its basically a question of, who do you believe is the best striker of those two? Like werdum and cain, like stipe and werdum, like hunt and mir, like say any other 5 rounds battle. The striker usually wins if the fight become a standup fight obviously. And we dont have any reason to think that it wont be a standup fight.

firekillex

Never said wonder boy hasn't improved but he's a striker , strikers don't magically just get wrestling abilities in 4 years even though he's a great athlete and he can bounce off his back quick , tristar comes with some of the best game plans around the biggest weakness in wonderboys game is wrestling and short distance dirty boxing , Rory macdonald is a much better wrestler then brown to so even if wonderboys improved is he at Rory maconald level a guy who's wrestled with gsp the best wrestler at 170 his whole career??? Don't get me wrong Stephen Thompson can knock out any guy at 170 on the planet dudes a freak but Rory is probably the worst matchup for him in the entire division , I'd favour wonderboy over lawler / Tyron Woodley but Rory is a bad style matchup , if he gets past him I don't see anybody stopping him but I'll take Rory at +100 all day
    Points Awarded:

lokihayze gave firekillex 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

I remember f\*g bait telling me I couldn't hit main events. Where's he at? Also JoshBlows. He knew who the best is.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChael View Post
    I remember f\*g bait telling me I couldn't hit main events. Where's he at? Also JoshBlows. He knew who the best is.
    Lol on JoshBlows...

Ty$

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Does he have better boxing then Cowboy? I guess if it's a pure boxing match.. Perhaps Ty.. Cowboy does fight with his chin up which I hate..

Cowboy certainly has better MT and will have the slight speed advantage.. Size really isn't a huge advantage if the fight stays standing unless Cote is working the clinch and grinding Cowboy against the cage entire time IMO..

If Cote does get in a timely take down he'll have to deal with those quick sneaking triangles of Cowboy..

Cowboy is still very skilled off his back even though he hasn't really fought off his back much in recent years...
    Size = power look at Diaz/Mcgregor... Anything can happen I'm looking for a good showing by the hometown cote and a little choking on Cowboys side. I jus think cowboy is a small welter and Côte hits hard as F .. Goin w the dog.

firekillex

yup cote line is going up slowly but surely, gonna keep waiting to see how high it can get before taking him
    cerrone the bigger name i see people putting the money on him , cote could win this fight for sure in a 3 rounder

looking like rory/cote home town bets that night , need to see other lines i like theodorou over sam alvey line pending

bjpenn85

Never said wonder boy hasn't improved but he's a striker , strikers don't magically just get wrestling abilities in 4 years even though he's a great athlete and he can bounce off his back quick , tristar comes with some of the best game plans around the biggest weakness in wonderboys game is wrestling and short distance dirty boxing , Rory macdonald is a much better wrestler then brown to so even if wonderboys improved is he at Rory maconald level a guy who's wrestled with gsp the best wrestler at 170 his whole career??? Don't get me wrong Stephen Thompson can knock out any guy at 170 on the planet dudes a freak but Rory is probably the worst matchup for him in the entire division , I'd favour wonderboy over lawler / Tyron Woodley but Rory is a bad style matchup , if he gets past him I don't see anybody stopping him but I'll take Rory at +100 all day
    If the cage was really small i dont think thompson would win this fight. But thompson will wait, move, make it really hard for rory. He got 5 rounds, no problem taking a round off to measure. If rory will try to close distance he will reverse him, and get back to the centre of the cage. Thompson isnt stupid so he doesnt even try to win at the fence. He is not the guy to try to prove a point, "oh look how good my wrestle is now". He will get back to the centre of the cage and start to strike. If this was Demian Maia i would be a bit hesitant cause he finds a way to take everyone down. Im not so sure with rory.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ty$ View Post
    Size = power look at Diaz/Mcgregor... Anything can happen I'm looking for a good showing by the hometown cote and a little choking on Cowboys side. I jus think cowboy is a small welter and Côte hits hard as F .. Goin w the dog.
    I hear ya Ty and you could be right.. We've seen Cowboy get worked over before by RDA recently.. This isn't a title fight, Cowboy will be relaxed..

Speed kills and Cote will be the slower fighter to the punch.. Cowboy picks him apart with kicks... Cote gets kicked in the head and put out late in the fight or sub'd out via triangle mid fight.. Outside chance Cote blows out his knee again dancing around like a man in quick sand..

Slight lean Cowboy..

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

We could see Cote catching one of these well timed kicks from Cowboy..

Could also see Cowboy throwing in a submission on the ground.. He really handled Alex Oliviera (wanna be cowboy) in his last fight.. Remember Cowboy has only been punked by RDA in recent years.. Cote isn't RDA..

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Donald-Cerrone-15105

Last edited by JIBBBY; 06-09-16 at 05:20 AM.

UncleChael

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    I'm on Wonder boy.. Should be a good fight until Rory gets dropped..

Rory's only chance is to take the fight to the ground IMO.. Use his wrestling and experience.. Rory is bit more well rounded then Wonderboy and has big heart.. I'm just not convinced he can take Wonderboy down and or keep him there..
    We'll see Jibbbys.

UncleChael

MacDonald is going to whoop his ass....
    Points Awarded:

lokihayze gave UncleChael 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

CaptChaos145
    CaptChaos145's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1637

Quote Originally Posted by bjpenn85 View Post
    Well..how did that work for Hendricks? Rory cant grind on him for 5 rounds, that razor sharp jab wont affect Wonderboys timing and striking. Its basically a question of, who do you believe is the best striker of those two? Like werdum and cain, like stipe and werdum, like hunt and mir, like say any other 5 rounds battle. The striker usually wins if the fight become a standup fight obviously. And we dont have any reason to think that it wont be a standup fight.
    I'm on Wonderboy. I was just addressing Fire's post.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Fight Network UFC Fight Night Ottawa

- Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson joins Robin Black in this edition of the armBAR to go through the stereo blueprints of fighters evolving ahead of UFC Fight Night Ottawa. Check it out!

- Welterweight Mike "Biggie" Rhodes joins Robin Black to break down the UFC Fight Night Ottawa main event between Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson vs. Rory MacDonald looking at traditional martial arts striking techniques.

- On this edition of the armBAR ahead of UFC Fight Night Ottawa, Rory MacDonald joins Robin Black to talk a little bit about Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson's striking style, military training with Brian Stann and more.

- Former UFC welterweight contender Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy joins Robin Black to breakdown the UFC Fight Night Ottawa main event between Rory MacDonald and Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson.

- Patrick Cote joined Robin Black at Local Liberty Village for a tequila and to discuss his journey into UFC commentary, leading into his bout against Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone at UFC Fight Night Ottawa and more on this edition of the armBAR.

- Misha Cirkunov joins John Ramdeen in the Fight Network studio ahead of his UFC Fight Night Ottawa light heavyweight bout against Ion Cutelaba to discuss his preparations at Xtreme Couture, his advantage in cage time, climbing the ranks in his division and more.

- Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson joins John Pollock and John Ramdeen in-studio to discuss his upcoming UFC Fight Night Ottawa main event bout against former training partner Rory MacDonald, balancing his relationship with fighters and coaches at TriStar Gym, looking back at the Johny Hendricks bout, striking styles evolving in the UFC and more.

- Class act Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson gave us his thoughts on weight-cutting when he dropped by the Fight Network studio ahead of UFC Fight Night Ottawa in this web exclusive.

- Patrick Cote answers some fan questions ahead of UFC Fight Ottawa and predicts what's going to happen in his fight against Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone in this web exclusive.

- John Pollock, John Ramdeen and Robin Black bring us the latest including a glance at Rory MacDonald vs. Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson and Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone vs. Patrick Cote ahead of UFC Fight Night Ottawa on Fight News Now.
    Last edited by Thrilla; 06-13-16 at 07:40 AM.

mirinquads
    Eat my enormous ballsack boys
    mirinquads's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7742

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    I want everyone to win money. Follow me to victory. Always bet on fighters with high fight IQ.

Stephen Thompson -115 to defeat Rory Macdonald.

"To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." -Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle." -Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." -Bruce Lee
    You really gained confidence after you hit that one Gunnar bet, huh, gunshard?

1234 ... Last