The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Willie Pep, Pernell Whitaker, Bernard Hopkins, Ali, all great fighters, all defensive minded. Styles make fights, Floyd could have been more offensive and probably could have stopped Pac but he was winning so why take the risk, would have loved to see it but I know thats not usually him unless he sees youve been softened up enough.
    This is it. This is where there is division in opinions. IMO the greatest ever would have stopped Paq or at least tried. The goat would have at least hurt Paq in multiple rounds. Floyd didn't do that, didn't try. He was so unconvincing in his win that Paq had the gull to say after the fight that he thought he won Now we know it wasn't close but Paq shouldn't have been able to even utter those words. $$$ just cruised to another victory with amazing defense.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    This is it. This is where there is division in opinions. IMO the greatest ever would have stopped Paq or at least tried. The goat would have at least hurt Paq in multiple rounds. Floyd didn't do that, didn't try. He was so unconvincing in his win that Paq had the gull to say after the fight that he thought he won Now we know it wasn't close but Paq shouldn't have been able to even utter those words. $$$ just cruised to another victory with amazing defense.
    I hear ya and believe me I wished he had pressed for a KO, but its boxing, you play every other sport but you dont play boxing. If youre ahead big ots up to Pac to make it more of a fight and try to win. In football if youre up 3 scores in the 4th quarter youre gonna be more conservative and run the clock out, its up to the other team to get the ball and score. So I agree with you as a fan but I understand from Floyds point of view.

Fighters all the time say they thought they won fights that wetent close, its part of the pysche even when they know otherwise. I remember Darchinyan getting knocked out and falling on his face 3 times and barking that he didnt know why ref stopped fight, a little different but unadmitting raging machismo all the same.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

Imagine if there was ali vs ali or tyson vs tyson or hearns vs hearns. etc those would be some great fights
    now imagine a mayweather vs mayweather fight

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11139

Mayweather makes so much more money by being hated.

We all love watching guys get knocked out. We all love the Gatti/Ward type of wars where boxers are near death. Unfortunately for all those heroic boxers, most all of them are punch drunk years later, with severe brain damage.

Sugar Ray Leonard and Money May are 2 of the only guys I know that didn't suffer much inside the ring and left with their faculties intact. George Foreman took some big shots in his career but doesn't seem the worse for wear.

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It'll be interesting what he does with his life will he be a promoter run businesses I have no idea

A guy like him could've change his image and been an American icon but he did not

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    Imagine if there was ali vs ali or tyson vs tyson or hearns vs hearns. etc those would be some great fights
    now imagine a mayweather vs mayweather fight
    You would fall asleep in an Ali vs. Ali fight but typical thing to say from somebody who doesnt follow the sport.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    You would fall asleep in an Ali vs. Ali fight but typical thing to say from somebody who doesnt follow the sport.
    I wasnt old enough when ali was boxing but I have watched his fights since, how could anyone fall asleep? Yea he danced around but also knocked people out

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Its the pussy generation do not forget in sports

We are seeing it more and more in everything

aston
    aston's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3658

[QUOTE=jjgold;23960159]It'll be interesting what he does with his life will he be a promoter run businesses I have no idea

A guy like him could've change his image and been an American icon but he did not[/QUOTE

jj i told you yoU COACH ...............EASY MONEY

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    Ignorant.

This is why boxing used to be popular:

Saw NOTHING like this in 12 rounds of the most over hyped fight, pretty much ever. And by the way, pretty much everyone knew it would go the way it did - so we expected the boredom.
    Either one of those guys would beat Mayweather.

jtoler

hH
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    I wasnt old enough when ali was boxing but I have watched his fights since, how could anyone fall asleep? Yea he danced around but also knocked people out
    There are two versions of Ali, he was mainly a defensive mined fighter who jabbed and circled around the ring with some right crosses mixed in, he would do that for 12 rounds if he.didnt see you affected enough to close the gap and try and get you out of there. If you got close he moved backward, tied you up or put up the ear muffs to block punches. He was a pure boxer, hit and not get hit, using his advantages, the long stiff jab, his stamina, and ring generalship, not much diffetent from Floyd. The Ali most remember is after his exile, the 2nd version when he had gained weight. He still danced but wasnt as effective like before being able to neutralize opponents for 12 rounds off of mainly jabs and some right crosses, opponents were able to close the gap over time and make for more exciting fights but not by his choosing. Then not being able to use his legs as before it resulted in him taking punishment, fighting off the ropes luckily winning some imo, again not the way he wanted to fight but had no choice. That punishment caused his condition of today, fought too long like most.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    anything below middleweight is for females, very few KOs the lower you go just people that cant crack an egg beating on eachother for 12 round decisions

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

It was a terrible fight but it was exactly what I expected.

If you're bitching about the fight because you expected a great show then you've obviously never watched Mayweather before.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7858

i thought the point of boxing was to win the match, BOY WAS I WRONG

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11862

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Mayweather makes so much more money by being hated.

We all love watching guys get knocked out. We all love the Gatti/Ward type of wars where boxers are near death.
    Gatti vs Ward were real boxing wars.. That was the shits!!!!! I still liked boxing back then and LOVED watching those fights go down!!!... Hearns/Hagler were badass too... I even liked watching Boom Boom Mancini fight back in the day.. Too bad he killed that Korean dude and hung up the gloves... Still haunts him to this day...

We all liked boxers that went all out for the KO's and tried hard to finish fights and not just try to win on points... Gloves got bigger and the 15 rounders became 12 rounders and everything got more boring. Sugar Ray Lenard started the lets win on points boxing matches.. I don't like it and I don't like what boxing has become......
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 05-03-15 at 11:31 PM.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

There were so many epic fight through the years especially in the 70s and 80s and then you look at a guy like Mayweather how can you even consider him a great fighter I guess he's a great tactician type

First 12