bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Boxer dies from injury suffered in bout

this is the 2nd death with in roughly a year for a boxer to die from similar situation.

R.I.P.

Boxer dies from injury suffered in bout

March 20, 2006

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) -- Professional boxer Kevin Payne died Sunday, one day after suffering a brain injury during a fight.

Payne died following surgery at Deaconess Hospital in Evansville, his hometown. He was 34.

Vanderburgh County Coroner Don Erk said Payne died as a result of an injury suffered during the match.

Payne won an eight-round welterweight bout by split decision over 26-year-old Ryan Maraldo on Saturday at The Centre, but had to be helped from the ring and was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

The fight was the main event on a card that was broadcast live by Azteca America, a Spanish-language cable channel that goes to 45 million homes in the Americas.

Payne (14-5-1) and Maraldo (20-19-1) were fighting for the opportunity to face Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. next month on HBO.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

I used to love to watch boxing, but these days I wouldn't mind if it went away. I definitely am not going to support something that routinely results in death.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Very sad news.

I agree with you cap. Boxing is to watered down for me to watch nowadays.