slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Roy Jones Jr vs Prince Badi Ajamu

I don't follow boxing closely, but I thought RJJ was retired.

I've been a huge RJJ fan ever since his Silver Medal in the 1988 Olympics, where he was cheated out of the Gold, along with Carbajal. He was the pound for pound greatest ever, IMO, and proved it by winning every professional boxing title from middle weight up to heavyweight. I thought that was the greatest thing ever done, moving up from weight class to weight class, winning every title along the way.

But, RJJ is now 37 and has lost his last 3 fights. Maybe it's time. I still think the guy is the greatest ever, at least the boxers I've seen. But just like Jordan, Montana, Armstrong, etc, there comes a time to walk away.

The fight isn't for another month, but I think betting RJJ to fare badly might be a +EV bet. Here's the Pinnacle lines, as well as a couple writeups I've found:

Roy Jones Jr vs Prince Badi Ajamu: WBO NABO Light Heavyweight Title
    Sat 7/29 Roy Jones Jr vs Prince Badi Ajamu
    07:00 PM 271 Roy Jones Jr -442
    272 Prince Badi Ajamu +402
    Sat 7/29 Total Rounds (R. Jones Jr vs Prince B.Ajamu)
    07:00 PM 273 Over 11.5 Rounds +100
    274 Under 11.5 Rounds -110
    Sat 7/29 Will R. Jones Jr win by K.O., T.K.O. or D.Q?
    07:00 PM 275 Yes +142
    276 No -152
    Sat 7/29 Will R. Jones Jr win by Decision?
    07:00 PM 277 Yes +146
    278 No -156
    Sat 7/29 Will Prince B. Ajamu win by K.O., T.K.O. or D.Q?
    07:00 PM 279 Yes +665
    280 No -735
    Sat 7/29 Will Prince B. Ajamu win by Decision?
    07:00 PM 281 Yes +1460
    282 No -1860
    Sat 7/29 Will the fight be a Draw ? (R. Jones vs P.B.Ajamu)
    07:00 PM 283 Yes +2400
    284 No -2900
    Taken from About.com:
    Andrew Eisele

Who is Prince Badi Ajamu?
    Roy Jones Jr. will try to snap a three-fight losing streak when he returns to the ring on July 29 at a site to be determined. Jones will apparently be taking on Prince Badi Ajamu (25-2-1, 14 KOs). While some question Jones' desire to continue fighting after looking bad in his last four fights, there's another question that every boxing fan will be asking ... who is Prince Badi Ajamu? Excellent question. Ajamu is a 34-year old light heavyweight from Philadelphia who has lost to Rico Hoye and Otis Grant and fought to a draw against Anthony Bonsante (yes, the "#1 Dad" guy from TV's The Contender series). None of Ajamu's wins came against anyone significant. So why is he getting a shot at Roy Jones Jr.? Another excellent question. In part because he holds the following light heavyweight titles: NABO, WBC Continental Americas, WBC CABOFE, IBC Intercontinental and Pennsylvania State champion. Meaningless? Absolutely. However, a victory by Jones could give one of the four major ratings organizations an excuse to make Jones the mandatory challenger for the title. Tomasz Adamek, Fabrice Tiozzo, Clinton Woods and Zsolt Erdei are the currently recognized light heavyweight champs ... so it's fairly obvious why each rating organization is eager to grant Jones a title shot. If Jones, 37, were to lose against Ajamu then he would almost certainly have no choice but to retire.
    This was a "reply to article" that I found interesting!
    Anthony Wright

Obviously you really are on a short leash in regards to fighters bio. Badi knocked Rico Hoye down twice and was winning on all ringside cards for 12 rounds. However in Hoyes back yard he couldn’t outpoint the judges, even showtimes announcers called it highway robbery. Also he did not clearly lose a decision to Otis Grant he lost in grants frontyard due to the same tactics. The draw is more of the same. If you want to know who Badi is, ask Bernard Hopkins, Winky Wright and Maywather and they will set you straight.. They know what the real deal is, and if he had not gotten with Buddy McGirt he may have been robbed of two other fights. See the game is tainted to promote advertisers and endorsement front men. Ajamu is a fighter that these current champions run from for fear of a loss. One good thing is that Roy took this fight only because he doesn’t know more than you. But after the fight you’ll be talking about how Badi was a sleeper. Believe me, Winky Wright faced your wrath prior as well. He just got off the line with me and said you won’t believe this *#@t, histories repeating itself. Do the public a favor, your a good writer, but hire someone like me that goes to the gyms and gets the backdoor info and follows the craft early and not late.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I am taking Prince to win by KO as I told BBD several weeks ago.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    I am taking Prince to win by KO as I told BBD several weeks ago.
    Nice.

When are you placing the bet? Doc said the line would move, and advised me to scalp RJJ, thus waiting until just before the fight if taking Prince.

moses millsap

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00
    Nice.

When are you placing the bet? Doc said the line would move, and advised me to scalp RJJ, thus waiting until just before the fight if taking Prince.
    I would have to wait until fight time as I think the public will be all over RJJ, but if news comes out early that he looks like shit in training, etc. I may place it prior to the weigh in, but in all likelihood, that bet will be placed hours before the fight.

moses millsap

BTW, sign up at maxboxing forum and discuss there if you're passionate about boxing. Usually a lot of good information being exchanged there, but there are a lot of obsessive threads about loved/hated fighters and constant bickering between the two sides, but we're all used to that

slacker00

Thanks, OWNED.

I don't follow boxing much because it's always on PPV, and I don't even have cable or satellite, so I can't hardly order it. I was thinking about watching the fights at a bar or something, but I guess I'm too lazy to do much legwork to investigate how I can mooch a look at the fights. Still, it seems like a good sport to bet, so I guess I'll have to get into gear somehow...

moses millsap

Look at boxing forums, sometimes there is a cheap live stream for sale at like $4.99 or something, but I've never done those as I just watch them on TV, so I can't vouch for the quality. The rd by rds over there by DrAndy are excellent.

slacker00

Yeah, I've got extremely slow dialup, so I doubt I could stream much of anything... Stuff I've tried comes out choppy and unwatchable at best. At worst it just hangs.

Like I said, if it was as simple as just flipping on the TV, I'd watch otherwise, it's tough to for be to get interested. I'm a lazy man, sometimes, thus my handle.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

As much as I like boxing, I dont bet on it very much. Last wager I made on a match was on Winky in the first Wright/Mosley fight. My wagers are far and few between. But I still try to catch all the fights I can, as I love watching it.

I was a big RJ fan in the past, when he was boxing and not retiring and coming out of retirement. I think he should just stay retired, and salvage some of the glory he still has.

moses millsap

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00
    Yeah, I've got extremely slow dialup, so I doubt I could stream much of anything... Stuff I've tried comes out choppy and unwatchable at best. At worst it just hangs.

Like I said, if it was as simple as just flipping on the TV, I'd watch otherwise, it's tough to for be to get interested. I'm a lazy man, sometimes, thus my handle.
    Being lazy isn't such a bad thing If you have only dial-up, then I'd just read DrAndy's round x rounds for the fights if you want to follow it more closely. He gives a very good and objective description of the match, not like we see from other articles on the net. Even though I don't agree with Pedro all the time, his site and radio show is solid too (www.ringtalk.com)