Ron_Paul_2012
    Ron_Paul_2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3985

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Orbitz $100 off $100 or more hotel room with code VISACHECKOUT, good through dec 8th

75 cents for a month of Marvel Unlimited with code MARVEL75
    Great place for some literature.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Look over most any list of 100 greatest literary works and you'll find Watchmen on it. You'll never find a goddamn Tom Clancy novel.

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Look over most any list of 100 greatest literary works and you'll find Watchmen on it. You'll never find a goddamn Tom Clancy novel.
    Yeah, but Watchmen was DC.

Ron_Paul_2012

Look over most any list of 100 greatest literary works and you'll find Watchmen on it.
    Last edited by Ron_Paul_2012; 12-04-14 at 08:08 PM.

Sacrelicious

^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time%27...00_Best_Novels

Watchmen (1986) by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons appears on both the 100 Best Novels and 10 Best Graphic Novels lists, giving the combined lists 109 entries.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Has anyone under the age of 70 ever read a Tom Clancy novel?

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Educ8d Degen Sr.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11814

I've seen all the movies. lol.. http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...m_Clancy_Books

Sacrelicious

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Why???

Ron_Paul_2012

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Great movies. I suspect Nunya has seen at least one of them. I mean come on. Everyone has seen Patriot Games or The Hunt for Red October. He's just sore because he gave me the perfect set up & I knocked it out of the park & made him look like a fool. Then instead of just moving on he tried to say that Marvel Unlimited is the place to go for high brow literature. I guess Joyce, Twain, Melville, Orwell, Fitzgerald & Homer are just a bunch of old fuddy-duddies who need to make way for the writers of Marvel comics. However as nut-sac said The Watchmen was NOT a Marvel comic.
    Last edited by Ron_Paul_2012; 12-05-14 at 12:27 AM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
    Great movies. I suspect Nunya has seen at least one of them. I mean come on. Everyone has seen Patriot Games or The Hunt for Red October. He's just sore because he gave me the perfect set up & I knocked it out of the park & made him look like a fool. Then instead of just moving on he tried to say that Marvel Unlimited is the place to go for high brow literature. I guess Joyce, Twain, Melville, Orwell, Fitzgerald & Homer are just a bunch of old fuddy-duddies who need to make way for the writers of Marvel comics. However as nut-sac said The Watchmen was NOT a Marvel comic.
    Your point was that graphic novels and comics cant be deemed as legitimate literature though wasnt it? So are u saying tht DC is but Marvel isnt?

marzwoody
    marzwoody's Avatar Become A Pro!

I read Watchmen. pretty overrated.

Ron_Paul_2012

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Your point was that graphic novels and comics cant be deemed as legitimate literature though wasnt it? So are u saying tht DC is but Marvel isnt?
    Come on V. You already know the answer to that. Don't be ridiculous. I'm going to make this real simple. Just go read your thread. Nunya gave me the perfect set up when he said that No, I read literature you philistine. So I posted an earlier post of his for a Marvel Unlimited coupon as a comeback response. I absolutely clowned him. End of story.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11814

Quote Originally Posted by marzwoody View Post
    Movie was even worse...

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Are you kidding? It's amazing. You could teach writing classes just on the way he weaves the story between the actual events and the pirate comic.

marzwoody

Are you kidding? It's amazing. You could teach writing classes just on the way he weaves the story between the actual events and the pirate comic.
    No. it wants to be smarter then it actually is. lots of plotholes, and a pretty bland boring story. just a series of events happening with no real connection to the characters. one thing i will say though is artwork is great.

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

“I want to get the submission just because I am so close to breaking that record,” Faber tells USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie. “You never want to go into a fight planning to do one thing, but if there’s a submission there, I’m definitely going to take it

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

No. it wants to be smarter then it actually is. lots of plotholes, and a pretty bland boring story. just a series of events happening with no real connection to the characters. one thing i will say though is artwork is great.
    Name these plotholes? A lot of people don't understand the ending (which was completely changed in the movie), but if you're paying attention from the beginning it all ties in.

Also, the artwork isn't that great, IMO, its only about the writing.

marzwoody

Name these plotholes? A lot of people don't understand the ending (which was completely changed in the movie), but if you're paying attention from the beginning it all ties in.

Also, the artwork isn't that great, IMO, its only about the writing.
    The only guy who has a superpower is Dr Manhattan. so for years normal people have been dressing up in spandex and fighting crime, and the public entertains this. the whole thing is ridiculous.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

The only guy who has a superpower is Dr Manhattan. so for years normal people have been dressing up in spandex and fighting crime, and the public entertains this. the whole thing is ridiculous.

That's not a plothole. It is, in fact, what the entire thing is about.

Ron_Paul_2012

Not to Nunya marz. I'm going to let you in on a little secret about Nunya. He's the president of the Phoenix Jones fan club.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Says the guy who thinks the president is a lizard-man.

marzwoody

That's not a plothole. It is, in fact, what the entire thing is about.
    So realistic characters in a unrealistic scenario? makes sense. your not one of those people who think its the best the comic ever are you?

marzwoody

The characters are so deep bro.

Ron_Paul_2012

Says the guy who thinks the president is a lizard-man.
    What on Earth are you talking about? Did MD mail you some trip. Um.... You are the one with the wild imagination & into comic books. And if remember correctly (you're the comic book expert not me) the lizard-man was a genetic biologist not the president. You better read your Marvel Spider Man comics a little slower next time.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: marzwoody

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
    Great place for some literature.

Have either of you read Chrisopher Marlowes The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus ?

I won't even bother bringing up how I came across this because no one would believe me, but there's more clairvoyant literary value in this story than anything either of you have read in the last two weeks. That's my guess.

I'm guessing at least one of you has read it, which one though?
    Last edited by illmatick; 12-12-14 at 01:48 AM.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by illmatick View Post
    Have either of you read Chrisopher Marlowes The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus ?

I won't even bother bringing up how I came across this because no one would believe me, but there's more clairvoyant literary value in this story than anything either of you have read in the last two weeks. That's my guess.

I'm guessing at least one of you has read it, which one though?
    Goethe's version is better.

illmatick
    Update your status

tried messaging you earlier, clear your box.

illmatick
    Update your status

Question for anyone who has read it

So Faustus begins conjuring and encounters the devil for the first time in 3rd scene.

He's then told,

I charge thee to return and change thy shape,
    Thou art too ugly to attend on me ;
    Go and return an old Franciscan friar,
    That holy shape becomes a devil best

I have my own interpretation of this act but I wanna hear why any of you believe Marlowe would specifically reference a Franciscan friar in this scene? I honestly need a second opinion from any of you who may have this answer.

We already know this Jesuit invaded catholic church is on some devious shit at times but I thought it was interesting the current pope chose the name after the saint this is somewhat referenced to---- Franciscans were under the teachings of Saint Francis of Assisi.

"On 13 March 2013, upon his election as Pope, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina chose Francis as his papal name in honor of Saint Francis of Assisi, becoming Pope Francis"

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Goethe's version is better.
    I read a bit into his version, definitely checking it out when I get a chance.
    Last edited by illmatick; 12-12-14 at 06:11 AM.

Bava
    Update your status
    Bava's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1530

Quote Originally Posted by illmatick View Post
    Question for anyone who has read it

So Faustus begins conjuring and encounters the devil for the first time in 3rd scene.

He's then told,

I charge thee to return and change thy shape,
    Thou art too ugly to attend on me ;
    Go and return an old Franciscan friar,
    That holy shape becomes a devil best

I have my own interpretation of this act but I wanna hear why any of you believe Marlowe would specifically reference a Franciscan friar in this scene? I honestly need a second opinion from any of you who may have this answer.

We already know this Jesuit invaded catholic church is on some devious shit at times but I thought it was interesting the current pope chose the name after the saint this is somewhat referenced to---- Franciscans were under the teachings of Saint Francis of Assisi.

"On 13 March 2013, upon his election as Pope, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina chose Francis as his papal name in honor of Saint Francis of Assisi, becoming Pope Francis"

I read a bit into his version, definitely checking it out when I get a chance.

2 Corinthians 11:14

It has been awhile, but I think that aside from being a bit of dig at the Catholic church, the passage could be interpreted at almost at face value- Faustus has always seen the world as he wants to see it, a distorted reality, and this may just be an extension of that: he may have just been asking the devil to change its shape into something more palatable to Faustus' sensibilities. The the fact that it was a Franciscan friar seems more a matter of the historical context of the story. But I could be talking out of my ass.

marzwoody

Now were talking about religious texts? F@g thread.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Now were talking about religious texts? F@g thread.
    "cultured? wats dat m8?"

marzwoody

I find discussing the meaning of fairy tales to be a bit pointless.

Bava
    Update your status
    Bava's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1530

I find discussing the meaning of fairy tales to be a bit pointless.

Too bad, chicks dig it.

First 123 Last