The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

STRIKEFORCE: Miami - Diaz vs Zaromskis

MMAWeekly.com has learned that Nick Diaz and Marius Zaromskis have verbally agreed to a welterweight battle in the Jan. 30 event’s top slot, set for the BankAtlantic Arena in Sunrise, Fla. The two will fight for the promotion’s vacant welterweight belt.

An announcement of the match-up is expected for the Showtime telecast of Strikeforce: Evolution on Saturday evening in San Jose, Calif., according to sources close to the situation.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

meh,,, another no name win for diaz before he loses to an actual contender

The HOFF

A pair of title fights will headline "Strikeforce: Miami" next month when Nick Diaz (20-7 MMA, 2-0 SF) takes on DREAM welterweight champion Marius Zaromskis (13-3 MMA, 0-0 SF) for the first-ever Strikeforce welterweight title and Cris "Cyborg" Santos (8-1 MMA, 2-0 SF) puts her women's featherweight title on the line against Marloes Coenen (17-3 MMA, 1-0 SF).

Pride>UFC
    Pride>UFC's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol a no-name? typical UFC nuthugger...this guy won the dream tournament and would destroy everyone in the UFC not named GSP dickface

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Quote Originally Posted by shady610 View Post
    meh,,, another no name win for diaz before he loses to an actual contender
    , this is the best fight strikeforce has announced since rogers vs fedor imo

can't wait!!!

shady610

Quote Originally Posted by illmatick View Post
    , this is the best fight strikeforce has announced since rogers vs fedor imo

can't wait!!!
    dont get me wrong, im a big fan of diaz. but his inability to beat legit contenders gets old.

The HOFF

Jay Hieron (18-4 MMA, 1-0 SF) is expected to meet veteran Joe Riggs (32-11 MMA, 3-2 SF) next month at "Strikeforce: Miami."

Sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com the fight is in the works, but bout agreements have not been signed, and the Florida State Boxing Commission must first approve the matchup.

spargament
    KHABIB
    spargament's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 367

Quote Originally Posted by Pride>UFC View Post
    lol a no-name? typical UFC nuthugger...this guy won the dream tournament and would destroy everyone in the UFC not named GSP dickface
    i mean he's not a no name, but there are at least 2 or 3 WWs in the UFC that could take him. It's gonna be a really good fight, Zaromskis has those head kicks that turn lights off...and everybody knows how potent Diaz's bjj is

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

it is all based on the scoring. You take the 4 fights diaz lost in a the ufc and judge them under pride/dream rules(much better) and diaz wins.

TDs have way too much value in america.

Diaz will take this fight easy, his chin is granite and his striking is second to none. Zaromski going to have to compete with a guy who can easily throw 150+ strikes a round.

Juve11
    Juve11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Zaromski can fight he is the real deal. A really close fight to call but Diaz is sooo smart in the cage. Zaromski has lethal kicks (espically high kicks) but Diaz will work him over with alot of 'pitter patter' strikes that take there toll and keep at the distance he wants. If this fight goes to the ground Diaz I beleive will submit him but I cant see this one going to the floor, Diaz is so slick on the floor.

The Diaz brothers may not seem to be the sharpest tools in the shed but beleive me they have street smarts and cage smarts in abundance.

Great fight but Diaz win!!!!

The HOFF

A middleweight showdown between strikers Robbie Lawler (18-5 MMA, 1-1 SF) and Strikeforce newcomer Melvin Manhoef (24-6-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) will likely take place later this month at "Strikeforce: Miami."

The HOFF

Date: Jan 30, 2010

Venue: BankAtlantic Center
    Broadcast: Showtime

• Nick Diaz vs. Marius Zaromskis (welterweight title)
    • Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos vs. Marloes Coenen (women's featherweight title)
    • Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs
    • Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef
    • Bobby Lashley vs. TBA
    • Herschel Walker vs. TBA

The HOFF

MMAjunkie.com today confirmed with Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz that Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef and Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs are now official for the evening's fight card.

The HOFF

Headlining the preliminary card will be a recently confirmed matchup between Jay Hieron (18-4 MMA, 1-0 SF) and Joe Riggs (32-10 MMA, 3-2 SF). Both are considered top welterweight contenders in the Strikeforce organization, and though Showtime will not air the fight, sources close to the Strikeforce promotion indicated the group may be seeking an alternative method of broadcasting the matchup.

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

• Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs
    • Pablo Alfonso vs. Marcos da Matta
    • Sabah Homasi vs. John Kelly
    • David Gomez vs. Craig Oxley

Why would STRIKEFORCE not have Hieron on the main card? They were just recently talking about him fighting Diaz for the WW title, and now he's moved to prelims? Not a great way to build up someone you want to fight for the title.

The HOFF

Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz on Friday informed MMAWeekly.com that the Florida State Boxing Commission has approved Greg Nagy to be Walker’s opponent in his MMA debut on Jan. 30 at Strikeforce: Miami.

Former WWE star Bobby Lashley is also on the Jan. 30 fight card at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. Sources close to the fight indicated to MMAWeekly.com that Lashley is expected to face Yohan Banks, who has fought twice for Strikeforce on its Young Guns cards. The Lashley bout, however, is awaiting commission approval and has not been finalized.

brooks85

robbie lawler is going to get KTFO.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3691

If Herschel wins he should fight Fedor next.

clarkd32
    clarkd32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

i'd love to see a diaz/lawler rematch or diaz/riggs - diaz/riggs got in a fight at the hospital after their fight in the ufc a couple of years ago. hilarious story hearing diaz tell it...

Boddhissatva
    Boddhissatva's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1140

I wonder when they are going to bring back KJ Noons.

ecpenguin
    ecpenguin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The HOFF View Post
    Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz on Friday informed MMAWeekly.com that the Florida State Boxing Commission has approved Greg Nagy to be Walker’s opponent in his MMA debut on Jan. 30 at Strikeforce: Miami.

Former WWE star Bobby Lashley is also on the Jan. 30 fight card at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. Sources close to the fight indicated to MMAWeekly.com that Lashley is expected to face Yohan Banks, who has fought twice for Strikeforce on its Young Guns cards. The Lashley bout, however, is awaiting commission approval and has not been finalized.
    The commission rejected the bout. From BE:

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that heavyweight Yohan Banks (2-1 MMA, 2-0 SF) was not approved by the Florida State Boxing Commission as an opponent for Bobby Lashley (4-0 MMA, 0-0 SF), and the former WWE star is still without an opponent for the event.

An FSBC representative said the decision to decline Banks as an opponent for Lashley was made based on a review of the fighters' records, at which point the commission "determined that the bout was not competitive."
    I doubt they are able to find a replacement on such short notice. I bet that Lashley gets bumped to the next CBS card and they will move Hieron vs Riggs to the main card.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Excited for this card. Really hoping for a Zaromskis win. Can't stand Diaz.

The HOFF

After the Florida State Boxing Commission declined to approve Yohan Banks (2-1 MMA, 2-0 SF) as an opponent for former WEC star Bobby Lashley (4-0 MMA, 0-0 SF) at the Jan. 30 event, "Strikeforce: Miami," the promotion has come up with another option.

Journeyman Jimmy Ambriz (14-12-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) has been targeted by the promotion as a late replacement for Banks, and the matchup is now waiting on approval from the FSBC.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    If Herschel wins he should fight Fedor next.

ecpenguin
    ecpenguin's Avatar Become A Pro!

After the Florida State Boxing Commission declined to approve Yohan Banks (2-1 MMA, 2-0 SF) as an opponent for former WEC star Bobby Lashley (4-0 MMA, 0-0 SF) at the Jan. 30 event, "Strikeforce: Miami," the promotion has come up with another option.

Journeyman Jimmy Ambriz (14-12-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) has been targeted by the promotion as a late replacement for Banks, and the matchup is now waiting on approval from the FSBC.
    According to Bloody Elbow, Ambriz isn't getting the nod either:

"Strikeforce says Jimmy Ambriz "definitely" not fighting Lashley on 1/30. Still no opponent decided... Lashley says he "has no idea" who he's fighting."

"Other sources still insisting Ambriz in the mix. Weird situation."

The HOFF

Quote Originally Posted by ecpenguin View Post
    According to Bloody Elbow, Ambriz isn't getting the nod either:
    Looks like Lashley might not get a fight they way his opponents keep dropping. I wonder if they are "real" injuries these guys are getting.

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Quote Originally Posted by ecpenguin View Post
    The commission rejected the bout. From BE:

I doubt they are able to find a replacement on such short notice. I bet that Lashley gets bumped to the next CBS card and they will move Hieron vs Riggs to the main card.
    I would like to see this happen. Can't imagine why the commission would veto the bout. It is not like Lashley is veteran. And jsut because he was a former colleiant wreslter and WWE star, doesnt mean he is Lesnar. He has only had 4 fights. He couldnt put away Guida. Where does the commission get off telling another young fighter, with 2 strikeforce fights, in the same weight class that he can't fight. But, I have never seen this other guy fight, so i guess i cant pass too much judgment.

Would make sense to bump Hieron v. Riggs up. Maybe showtime is scared that Heiron will smother Riggs for three rounds, and new MMA fans who tuned in to see Walker after his promotional push will tune out before Manhoef - Lawler, Cyborg and Diaz-Zaromskis.

If I were Showtime/Strikeforce, I would pay Lashley his apperance fee as a sign of good faith. This may help you when it is time to renegotiate his contract considering it is your fault for dropping the ball on his opponent and not having this shit figured out 8 weeks out. Then put him on the April card.

Then promote Heiron/Riggs to main card considering they both deserve to be there and their sponsers cannot be too happy that they are in the dark.

The fight line up should look like this:
    Manhoef - Lawler
    Walker -
    Heiron - Riggs
    Cyborg
    Diaz - Zaromskis

JMHO

Eccocide
    2010 MMA Results: +69.3225 units
    Eccocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

Looks like Lashley might not get a fight they way his opponents keep dropping. I wonder if they are "real" injuries these guys are getting.
    From what I read neither of the proposed fighters are injured. Banks was deemed to be not a suitable opponent based on his record and who he has fought. And Strikeforce is saying they are the ones not targeting Ambriz. Doesn't matter really - IMO once he faces a legitimate HW he will lose. Anyway, I see them holding Lashley off to another show and putting Hieron/Riggs on the maincard.

sleung
    sleung's Avatar Become A Pro!

Zaromskis is no no name

He has a legit chacne to beat Diaz

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Quote Originally Posted by sleung View Post
    Zaromskis is no no name

He has a legit chacne to beat Diaz
    Nick Diaz is crazy if he opts to exchange in a stand-up war with Zaromskis.

Being that Nick Diaz IS crazy, I suppose I agree with you.

(Although my expectation is that Diaz takes this to the ground and ends it)

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

This line first opened at Bodog today with Diaz at -200. A slight move to -210 at the moment...

Boddhissatva
    Boddhissatva's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1140

Quote Originally Posted by Educ8d Degener8 View Post
    Nick Diaz is crazy if he opts to exchange in a stand-up war with Zaromskis.

Being that Nick Diaz IS crazy, I suppose I agree with you.

(Although my expectation is that Diaz takes this to the ground and ends it)
    I'm betting against Diaz because that is precisely what he's going to do...

he's going to stand with a man who is far better than him in striking...similar to the Kj Noons fight.

The HOFF

shady610

Quote Originally Posted by Boddhissatva View Post
    I'm betting against Diaz because that is precisely what he's going to do...

he's going to stand with a man who is far better than him in striking...similar to the Kj Noons fight.
    just on a side note, i am getting tired of people abandoing there true skill just to show there boxing. and that means you sherk

brooks85

It is not even a question who has better striking between diaz and zaromski, it is hilarious to even compare the two, that is how far nick is ahead.

Now when it comes to just kicks, zaromski takes the cake. But KOing 2 rookies and 1 aging and tiny MACH with headkicks does not mean you have great striking. Nick is going to throw more punches than zarom has ever seen. Zaroms kicks will be useless against nicks speed. Anytime zaroms opens up, it will be combo time for diaz.

This fight will play out like diaz/smith.

Pride>UFC
    Pride>UFC's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    It is not even a question who has better striking between diaz and zaromski, it is hilarious to even compare the two, that is how far nick is ahead. Now when it comes to just kicks, zaromski takes the cake. But KOing 2 rookies and 1 aging and tiny MACH with headkicks does not mean you have great striking. Nick is going to throw more punches than zarom has ever seen. Zaroms kicks will be useless against nicks speed. Anytime zaroms opens up, it will be combo time for diaz. This fight will play out like diaz/smith.
    This is the best welterweight matchup in years..Diaz is really good and in my opinion as good as any welterweight except GSP and better than most middleweights, but Zaromskis is lightning fast and Diaz smokes a lot of weed. He might be too slow for Zaromskis. I see this as 60/40 Diaz.

Remember, we don't know ANYTHING about how good Zaromskis is, he might be ranked #2 welterweight in the world with a win here...

123 Last