Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Saturday Strikeforce & WEC - A Free Night of MMA...YAY!

There are two kinds of people that are excited for Saturday’s double-dip MMA action – rabid fans and cheap/broke fans. Strikeforce: Evolution will be showcased on Showtime, while WEC’s action will take place on the Versus Network. Avoiding pay-per-view costs = a good thing. It’s a great chance to see that there are indeed exciting fighters outside of top dog UFC’s stable.

Cung Le -350
    Scott Smith +260

We’ll start off with two Strikeforce events. Cung Le (6-0) was the Middleweight champ when he pulled a Rampage Jackson/Roger Huerta and left fighting to go and act in a bunch of movies that nobody will ever give a crap about. Is anyone shocked that these guys come back to fighting once they realize that they aren’t going to be the next Denzel Washington? Hell, they won’t even be the next Pee Wee Herman. It’s just a painful decision for all parties involved.

Not this crap again

Well Le is back where he belongs. He was on quite a tear, destroying all of his opponents. When he defeated Frank Shamrock for the belt, he broke Shamrock’s his arm from a series of kicks. Pretty nasty stuff.

I like Scott Smith (16-6-1). He is a true gamer with some powerful and speedy hands. You can’t really call any of his fights boring. The problem here is that he makes a living off beating journeymen types of guys, while losing to more talented competitors like James Irvin, Patrick Cote, Ed Herman, Robbie Lawler and most recently, Nick Diaz. Cung Le is definitely going to be a huge challenge for Smith.

I’m taking a shot on Smith and the money. It’s worth taking a crack at Le being rusty in his first fight back since March 2008. Maybe Smith can do his part to send Le back into retirement to concentrate on Tekken 2.

Josh Thompson -120
    Gilbert Melendez -110

If I’m using the “being rusty” angle for Cung Le, then I certainly have to apply it towards Thompson (16-2-1) as well, don’t I? Due to some leg and ankle issues, he hasn’t stepped in the ring since September 2008. The fact of the matter is, I’d take Melendez (16-2-0) regardless in this Lightweight Championship rematch.

Thompson is no slouch, having beaten his last eight opponents by a variety of submissions, TKO’s and unanimous decisions. Back in June ’08 it was Melendez who relinquished his belt to Thompson via 5-round decision.

The odds are about as close as can be, and I’m looking for a super fight. Melendez has looked sharp lately, completely destroying the last two chumps to stand before him. My money is on him taking back his hardware.

The WEC headliner will pit Donald Cerrone against Ed Ratcliff. Cerrone is at -400, and for good reason. He’s going to destroy Ratcliff. Not much money to be made here, but if you’ve never seen Cerrone fight, check it out. There are two other fights with a little more value that I like.

Anthony Njokuani -185
    Chris Horodecki +155

Hey did you hear the one about the Nigerian and the Polack? Well, it kinda goes like this – the Polack leaves on a stretcher. Seriously though, Njokuani (12-2-0) is going to hurt him.

Njokuani could play in The Shannon Sharpe Story

Horodecki (13-1-0) racked up a nice record in the IFL, but the WEC isn’t doing him any favors setting up his debut against Njokuani, who is looking mighty impressive. He has garnered KO of the Night honors in his previous two meetings against Who Are You and Whatever. He will use his four inch height advantage to pummel Horodecki even more. I’m actually giddy about this spread being so low as I expect big things from Njokuani in the near future. Books beware.

Joseph Benavidez -215
    Rani Yahya +170

Benavidez (10-1-0) is coming off of his first loss. He is certainly a fan favorite of mine and I’m eyeing up a successful return to the winner’s circle for him.

At only 5’4” he is simply adorable. I want to put him in my pocket and show him off to friends. I pity those who have judged Benavidez in life by his size. He is nonstop energy and offers a wide arsenal of strikes and kicks to batter his adversaries.

Rani Yahya (15-4-0) has earned Submission of the Night in all three of his WEC fights so far. I wish him luck getting close enough to Benavidez to be able to go for an attempt. Does Yahya have a shot? Nono.

Him small. And him good too!

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

southmadejd
    southmadejd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 830

Thanks for the good write up Bread. But I do have to be honest with you and say that I think you are just pissing your money away by betting on Scott Smith, unless you are only putting a small wager on it.

Also, hopefully Cerrone will take Ratcliffe down and wont try to stand up with him even though I have watched Ratcliffe fight and it seems like he keeps his chin way up when he punches, bad move against Cerrone.

Also, I will say this about Njokuani. He has beaten anybody that is willing to stand up against him. And that is exactly what Horodecki is going to do....Chris does not submit people and I think that will get him in trouble against Anthony. Also, I know this is a little bit of MMA Math but I remember watching Chris in IFL and he fought Bart Palaszewski twice and they were both wars and he won both of them by a split decision. Njokuani fought Bart and completely destroyed him.

I also like your pick with Benevidez. His wrestling and ability to get out of anything will keep him from getting submitted. I think the most value on this card are Benevidez and Njokuani.

Also I am hoping Melendez takes the title back, and if he can't do it against a ring rusted Thomson then he was never as good as we all thought he was.

Bread
    Living corpse

Hey South....yea just taking a shot on Smith. Hoping to hit a nice winner. Not sure how much I'll risk yet.

Njok is one of my favorite plays of the night. Really feel confident about that one.

GL to us! Big night.

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

BOL on Smith as well.

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

probably going to add smith as well, all depends on how I do on the undercard

Bread
    Living corpse

Less gettum Smith!

The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Anthony Njoka..... Njokwan.... Njojana.. NOT GONNA WORK HERE ANYMORE.

clarkd32
    clarkd32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

i knew there was strikeforce but forgot about wec... should be a good night of fights..

Bread
    Living corpse

Thinking about doing a points contest. Thought? Maybe?

Going out tonight...won't watch any fights til tomorrow. Can't WAIT!

RobbReport
    RobbReport's Avatar Become A Pro!

me too, i don't have showtime anymore :\

RobbReport

sorry ladies, cung "fu" le will hurt smith's body like never before. Scott seems like a good dude but when he get's dominated standing he'll just keep standing there.

Bread
    Living corpse

some ridiculous parlays.

smith
    souza
    melendez
    5 units to win 47.25 units

cerrone
    benavidez
    mizugaki
    corbbrey
    1.5 units to win 4.5 units

hosman
    buck
    massough
    njik
    5 units to win 84.75 units!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Bread
    Living corpse

MMA plays.

Melendez -105 5 units
    Smith +290 7.5 units!!!!
    Souza -270 2.5 units
    Njok -190 5 units (love this one!)
    Benavidez -210 2.5 units
    Mizugaki -165 10 units.

raidersfan
    raidersfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Matt lindland is too old to have a chance against a much superior athlete is Souza. Souza -270 for 3 Units
    El Niño has waited a long time for his redemption and thompson been out too long out of the ring. Melendez -115 for 3 Units
    Cung Le has been out way too long and it will show early, look for Smith to connect late in the first round. +350 for 2 Units
    King Mo to athletic for whitehead, this will end early. -525 (not enough value to recommend any action) but I am confident enough to lay it. 5 Units.

I think Benavidez should win this one, but I am think there might be a an upset tonight, so I wont touch this one.

Bread
    Living corpse

Goddam Raiders you're all over these plays. Let's hit some winners sir!!!!

RobbReport

just sayin, you chicks will be like, "I knew Cung would win" after he does in fact win.

goceltics
    goceltics's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6263

5 out of 6...great calls and analysis. Thanks Bread.

raidersfan

We made some money tonight bread, it was a great night of fighting.

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

bread was due for a big event,

Bread
    Living corpse

Just watched the 2 events. Wow! I gots paid!!!

Congrats to winners and thank you Scott Smith!

Melendez-Thompson = Fight of the Year!!

southmadejd

Dude, that was amazing that you hit on Smith. He actually completely f-cked up my parlay. Actually, I wont even blame it on him. I will put all of the blame on Cung for actually trying to go toe to toe with someone who has way more power than you. That was so stupid, especially considering he had the fight won if he wanted to ride out a decision.

Bread
    Living corpse

That KO came out of NOWHERE for Smith...but isn't that his thing? Old hat for him. Love it!

raidersfan

Quote Originally Posted by Bread View Post
    That KO came out of NOWHERE for Smith...but isn't that his thing? Old hat for him. Love it!
    Cung Le was gassed, and that is a result of the time away from the ring. He can only blame himself for that loss, he was doing excellent.

RobbReport

Quote Originally Posted by southmadejd View Post
    I wont even blame it on him. I will put all of the blame on Cung for actually trying to go toe to toe with someone who has way more power than you. That was so stupid, especially considering he had the fight won if he wanted to ride out a decision.

stfu dude, you don't know shit.

southmadejd

^^Dude where the hell did that come from? What are you talking about?