@kins
    @kins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1763

Chris Weidman -240

WHAT A STEAL

Chris Weidman is perhaps one of the most well rounded mma fighters in the game today.

He defeated Anderson Silva, a feat not accomplished by any UFC fighter before him, and he did it twice for good measure by utilizing both his superior grappling and striking skills. Besides the Silva fights, he's steamrolled everyone else the UFC has put in front of him. I used to be an NCAA Division I rower at a very competitive University and I rowed in the same boat as an Olympian. Our coach used to say that "he's a man amongst boys" and I think that description is quite apt for Weidman.

He's competed in the ADCC in 2009 where he lost to a stud in Andre Galvao in the quarter finals, and not by much for that matter (4-0 on points) after Weidman had very little formal jiu jitsu training. This was an incredible match, lots of great scrambles, I'd encourage everyone to watch it:

http://www.graciemag.com/2014/01/vid...the-2009-adcc/

Kind of broken up with other matches but you get the picture. He actually had Galvao in a reasonably tight D'arce choke at one point.

As for his opponent, Vitor Belfort, there is no clear indication at this point whether or not he will get a TRT exemption. I think this will play a factor because you can attribute at least some of his recent succes to this, and if he doesn't get it, then I think it will be reflected in the juice for Weidman. Vitor is also getting up there in age and you pretty much know what you're going to get him with him. Weidman is still relatively young and new to the MMA game and because of his well roundedness and evolution, he will be able to have more control over where this fight goes. We already know that when the going gets tough, Vitor tends to fold. Out of his 34 pro fights and 24 victories, he's only won 4 by decision against average to mediocre guys (James Zikic, Heath Herring, Daijiro Matsuia and Gilber Yvel).

And despite what people may say about Weidman's cardio, he has a gas tank for days. Most people put too much emphasis on his Maia fight, which skews the perception because he took that tough fight on 11 days notice. Think about that, 11 days notice against a dangerous guy like Maia. Just the fact that he took that fight in the first place says something about the guy, especially in an age where top prospects tend to turn down fights or be coddled by the UFC.

In conclusion, I am big on Weidman, units to be determined. There's still a lot of tape and research to be done, but I figured I'd get the ball rolling since this looks like a huge opportunity. Unlike other threads with superfluous banter and trash talking, I would like to keep this one focused and on point.

Mercersux
    Mercersux's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is it some secret that Weidman demolishes Belfort. Weidman ITD is where its @.

getlucky2win
    faded
    getlucky2win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

Weidman got lucky vs silva. Vitor gonna ko him n rnd 1

marzwoody
    marzwoody's Avatar Become A Pro!

Vitor is still heavy underdog. -.-

rosietop
    rosietop's Avatar Become A Pro!

noob logic: anderson silva destroyed vitor and weidman destroyed anderson silva so obviously weidman utterly destroys vitor, hell, why even put the match together weidmans won already..

this is a really close fight, dont get it twisted.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

I appreciate the comments condemning trash talking. However i do think vitor has a very good chance of winning so i suggest not going to large on weidman. Vitor has been on fire and im not so sure he fades in the later rounds. That was a long time ago. I dont think he is as heavily muscled as he once was. His cardio should be better.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by rosietop View Post
    noob logic: anderson silva destroyed vitor and weidman destroyed anderson silva so obviously weidman utterly destroys vitor, hell, why even put the match together weidmans won already..

this is a really close fight, dont get it twisted.
    Are you going to bet on Vitor?

marzwoody

Vitor is a live dog.... could beat weidman;

Mercersux
    Mercersux's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    You know the answer MD. Only play that makes some sense is Vitor 1st rnd. Waste of money if you ask me but always nice to have that security net i suppose.

rosietop

probably. still a long way to go till fight time..

Grabaka
    Update your status
    Grabaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4034

Quote Originally Posted by getlucky2win View Post
    Weidman got lucky vs silva. Vitor gonna ko him n rnd 1
    LOL

oddtodd
    oddtodd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 734

Vitor wins this.. and odds should be close to even. A gift odd.. whatever you think occurred in the Silva fights, hes going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat again to beat Vitor. Better striker, more well rounded with his strikes, and physically as strong or stronger. Well see what happens with the TRT for that last statement to be true.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by oddtodd View Post
    Vitor wins this.. and odds should be close to even. A gift odd.. whatever you think occurred in the Silva fights, hes going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat again to beat Vitor. Better striker, more well rounded with his strikes, and physically as strong or stronger. Well see what happens with the TRT for that last statement to be true.
    Lol.

brodie
    you got the juice now
    brodie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 416

I got Belfort

@kins
    @kins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1763

Good thing the replies have been substantive so far

Question for the Vitor backers:

If he doesn't get his TRT exemption, you still think he's a live dog?

latarianmilton
    latarianmilton's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3660

Quote Originally Posted by @kins View Post
    Good thing the replies have been substantive so far

Question for the Vitor backers:

If he doesn't get his TRT exemption, you still think he's a live dog?
    i'll bet him if he gets his trt. specially if hes over +200

MD

latarianmilton
    latarianmilton's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3660

this new vitor is different from the guy who used to fold easily when things didnt go his way, he's probably the most dangerous striker p4p right now in terms of being able to ko his opponent, but the weidman hasnt shown any weaknesses at all, close fight imo.
    -240 is too much he will probably end up around -200 or -180 at fight time

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

WEIDMAN ITD -130.

I'd be shocked if this goes 5 rounds, but even if it does, this is a much better bet than Weidman -240. I can NOT believe people are picking vitor here, even at +200, and I say this as someone who has bet Vitor ITD heavily on all 3 of his 2013 fights.

rosietop

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post
    WEIDMAN ITD -130.

I'd be shocked if this goes 5 rounds, but even if it does, this is a much better bet than Weidman -240. I can NOT believe people are picking vitor here, even at +200, and I say this as someone who has bet Vitor ITD heavily on all 3 of his 2013 fights.
    Vitor clearly has the better standup. The thing im worried about it Weidmans wrestling. Can Weidman take Vitor down and hold him down, I think he can. Like I said I still havent made my mind up about this fight but to the people thinking this is an easy win for Weidman are completely wrong. Vitor is not an easy fight for nobody.

marzwoody

If weidman gets out of the first 2 rounds he will win by decision. vitor has that explosiveness but weidman is more technical.

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Vitor clearly has the better standup. The thing im worried about it Weidmans wrestling. Can Weidman take Vitor down and hold him down, I think he can. Like I said I still havent made my mind up about this fight but to the people thinking this is an easy win for Weidman are completely wrong. Vitor is not an easy fight for nobody.

What???

Unwritten Law
    Unwritten Law's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -1617

Vitor would have to use his speed and strength early and catch Weidman. If this goes the distance, I think Weidman retains his title. Should be interesting, Vitor has been on fire as of late with impressive stoppages.

marzwoody

^ dude just copied what i said

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

Weidman can and will take vitor down. Rumble Johnson did. Will vitor survive 1 takedown

rosietop

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post

What???
    are you stupid?

Vitor has the better more effective mma standup. If this fight stays only on the feet, Vitors got this won I guarantee it.

MD

are you stupid?

Vitor has the better more effective mma standup. If this fight stays only on the feet, Vitors got this won I guarantee it.
    If this stays on the feet, Weidman probably KO's Vitor. He's one of the best strikers in MMA and you're going to start finding that out really soon.

Beelzebubzy

But vitor has ko power in both legs and hands and in his Mohawk

rosietop

If this stays on the feet, Weidman probably KO's Vitor. He's one of the best strikers in MMA and you're going to start finding that out really soon.
    if he fakes with plenty of takedowns and clinch work then yeah maybe, but in a kickboxing fight weidmans getting knocked the fudge out. easily. I think you underestimate shmitor.

MD

You say

Vitor has the better more effective mma standup.
    ...and quantify it by saying

in a kickboxing fight weidmans getting knocked the fudge out. easily.
    Anyway, in a straight stand up fight, Weidman is going to beat Vitor down most of the time. I think that Weidman is going to utilize extremely effective leg kicks, and, especially, body kicks, and beat Vitor down with them throughout the fight. I don't even think it will be a close fight. Weidman will win the standup exchanges and take him down when he feels like it. Weidman has a very, very good chance of stopping Vitor with strikes, either on the feet or on the ground, especially if he does end up utilizing body kicks as I think he will. We may see him drop Vitor with a kick to the body.

Beelzebubzy

Where do you cap weidman itd

TheCalculator
    TheCalculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5633

Very few people on this forum talk enough about "striking defense".

The thing that impressed me the most about the Chris Weidman against Anderson so was his elusiveness. Anderson Silva who's far faster has better timing and perception than Vitor had a hard time hitting him. For that reason Chris is going to have to make a BIG mistake for Vitor to catch him with a big strike.

rosietop

You say

...and quantify it by saying
    What I meant by saying that is Weidman seems to have better footwork, technique but Vitors sheer athleticism is more than an equalizer, the guys phenomenally fast and powerful. Once again you underestimate Vitors standup even his wrestling, but you will find out the hard way when the fight comes around.

MD

What I meant by saying that is Weidman seems to have better footwork, technique but Vitors sheer athleticism is more than an equalizer, the guys phenomenally fast and powerful. Once again you underestimate Vitors standup even his wrestling, but you will find out the hard way when the fight comes around.
    It's not a case of underestimating Vitor, it's a case of accurately estimating Weidman. He's better in every single area.

I'd offer to prop bet you, but you didn't honour your last one.

rosietop

It's not a case of underestimating Vitor, it's a case of accurately estimating Weidman. He's better in every single area.

I'd offer to prop bet you, but you didn't honour your last one.
    I find it disgusting how you can sit there and still accuse me of such a thing, it reveals the type of character you guys really are and for the record im really happy that you lost a lot of money on Thompson. Karma does work.

123 Last