MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Velasquez -190

The return of the thread play.

I suppose I understand the rationale of why the line is so close. As some of you will remember, I was big on Velasquez in their second fight. I hadn't started posting actively here at the time of their first fight, but I was pretty big on him then, also. I 'capped him at around -240 in their first fight, -330 in their second fight, and I'm settling around -320 in this fight. Breakdown isn't really necessary, as it's a pretty simple fight to 'cap, but I dislike "bet dis, guiz" threads, so I'll do a short one.

The biggest factor in this fight, as most of you are aware, is that Dos Santos has shown to fight poorly off of the back foot; it's become very clear in his recent fights that he gets more and more effective and, especially, diverse as he becomes more comfortable. In the Hunt fight, he had trouble with Hunt's pressure often; there were multiple occasions where Hunt was able to rush Dos Santos into the fence and, once there, his defence was lacking. Once Hunt began to slow down, he increased his accuracy and effectiveness tremendously; as much heart as he has, he really is a frontrunner, as he needs to be winning pretty handily to fight at his best. His best attributes show themselves when the fight is at a pace that he is comfortable with.

As good a striker as he is, he has an awful habit of backing straight up, and his head movement isn't enough to make up for this deficit. He gets credit as a fighter who makes good use of angles, but it's become more obvious with time that he only utilizes angles well while going forward.
    I will say that I believe Junior when he talks about the medical issues he had during the last fight, and I will also say that I think Junior's cardio is underrated and some of the best in the division. The fact of the matter is, though, that he simply hasn't had enough time to make up for the obvious deficits in his game which cost him his title. He's obviously a better striker than Velasquez, but it doesn't really matter at this point. Were it not for the unknowns of how Junior will perform, I'd be far more confident in Velasquez, but I'm taking the conservative route.; AKA isn't a camp that makes adjustments well, either, and I don't expect to see Velasquez with many new tools, especially on the feet.

One worrying issue that I saw in the Hunt fight which I had not seen before is that when Hunt cut angles on Dos Santos when he had him near the cage, Dos Santos turned his hips towards Hunt before adjusting and rotating to face him. This is a terrible mistake, as it leaves you in a position where defending a takedown is very difficult, throwing a powerful punch is barely possible, and you have to reposition to take an offensive stance. Velasquez isn't great at cutting angles in his striking, but he does it frequently in his wrestling, and puts himself into similar positions often when his takedowns are stuffed. I'll also say that I think Dos Santos had a lot of issues fighting without a big speed advantage. He was getting tagged with jabs constantly in round one of their second fight because he was expecting to be off centre by the time it landed.

I think that one of the few new tools he may show is an increased willingness to go for submissions. He sort of gave up trying to stop Junior with strikes in their second fight, likely to preserve energy; if he finishes him with strikes, it'll probably be in the first two rounds I think. I really like the submission prop here. I think there's still some value at +534, but not much; I expected it to open around +600, and I 'capped it at around +300.

Anyway, I was going to do a more detailed breakdown, as there are some more small things I noticed that could have a big impact on the fight, but I have some stuff I need to get done. Velasquez -190 is the play.
    Last edited by MD; 10-19-13 at 04:00 PM.
    Points Awarded:

rocky16 gave MD 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Sacrelicious gave MD 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Grabaka
    Update your status
    Grabaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4034

Points Awarded:

MD gave Grabaka 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

rockmvp1209 gave Grabaka 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: NunyaBidness, and rockmvp1209

Grabaka
    Update your status

GL bro....I did read the last paragraph tho....good stuff

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

For real, *****, hit the enter key every now and again.
    Points Awarded:

Dwil125 gave NunyaBidness 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

MD

LOL. You're my hero Grab.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    For real, *****, hit the enter key every now and again.
    There, quit your bitching son.

TheRifleman
    TheRifleman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

Too much value in JDS...had him the first fight and cashed, sat out the 2nd, will bet him shortly + 210. Just too much value with one of the baddest asses on the planet...and the fact that the.... lol, so called "experts" all like cain, make me want to empty my bank account on JDS. But, I am a disciplined bettor, so I will make only make 3 unit wager on this fight. JDS was preoccupied in the second fight, going thru a divorce....this is WAR! and you will see a different JDS....I guarantee it.

JDS by KO rd. 3. Can't wait!!

Last edited by TheRifleman; 10-19-13 at 04:09 PM.

Grabaka
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    LOL. You're my hero Grab.

Just saw your bets....you didnt like Amagov? or the nutty amagov dec odds?

TheRifleman
    TheRifleman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

I see each of them hunting and pecking in the first round. Each of them is afraid of the other’s power: JDS’s striking power and Cain’s wrestling power. JDS will be more cautious about the takedown and distance, using good movement. Cain gets caught pressing for a takedown in an exchange on the feet in the second or third. Lights out! JDS by KO!!

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Grabaka View Post

Just saw your bets....you didnt like Amagov? or the nutty amagov dec odds?
    I like Amagov. Not much, though. I like u1.5 in that fight.

rocky16
    rocky16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

MD you are a focking stud bro.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: MD

Catchn_Picks
    Catchn_Picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15716

I chickensh*tted out MD with Cain completing a bunch of pars and hedged JDS for line value. Will see how it works out...great write-up as usual...gl all

Grabaka
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by rocky16 View Post
    MD you are a focking stud bro.
    What about me you focko16?

MD

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I like Amagov. Not much, though. I like u1.5 in that fight.
    u1.5 +175 cashes. By Gabe's theory of variance, Velasquez has an 80% chance of losing now, unless I'm on what is known as a "hotstreak", in which case his chances of winning have gone up significantly.

Grabaka
    Update your status

Wow +175 was great indeed....got carried away with the switched odds in the props....dang it
    congrats Marco

Mercersux
    Mercersux's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm with you MD. Got one of my bankrolls maxed in Velasquez. Will really suck if he loses. Since JDS fight against Hunt i had every intention of pounding the Cain line. initially made the Bet a month ago so as it gets closer to the fight and i watch all the ufc propaganda, im like Ugh...but hey I'm locked in so whatever. Wasn't happy to see the line drop to -190 tho. Grabbed it@ -230 not expecting the Line to drop much below if at all. Couldn't have been more wrong. Lol F*CK

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Excellent post, I could not agree more.

rocky16
    rocky16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Quote Originally Posted by Grabaka View Post
    What about me you focko16?
    Hey pal seems you and me are always on right side. Perfect harmony and shit. I might leave my wife will you move in with me? Hit me up via pm if any interest.

Noleafclover
    Noleafclover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3010

Hey pal seems you and me are always on right side. Perfect harmony and shit. I might leave my wife will you move in with me? Hit me up via pm if any interest.
    Plot twist - rocky16 voracious bottom.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Grabs got the tiddies so wouldnt be too different!

Grabaka
    Update your status

hahahaha you penetrators
    are we talking with green card or no green card?
    Points Awarded:

Noleafclover gave Grabaka 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

hahha yeah Rocky u fuuck, at least throw in a green card for mi amigo

rosietop
    rosietop's Avatar Become A Pro!

good job

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

I had little doubts that when I saw who made this thread, I got mush'd.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    I had little doubts that when I saw who made this thread, I got mush'd.
    You got mushed by my winning play?

Haterz gonna hatez.