THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

UFC Fight Night: Maia Vs Shields (October 09, 2013)

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 7 p.m. ET)
    Demian Maia vs. Jake Shields
    Dong Hyun Kim vs. Erick Silva
    Matt Hamill vs. Thiago Silva
    Joey Beltran vs. Fabio Maldonado
    Rousimar Palhares vs. Mike Pierce
    Raphael Assuncao vs. T.J. Dillashaw

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 5 p.m. ET)
    Rodrigo Damm vs. Hacran Dias
    Igor Araujo vs. Ildemar Alcantara
    Yan Cabral vs. David Mitchell
    Chris Cariaso vs. Iliarde Santos

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 4:30 p.m. ET)
    Alan Patrick vs. Garett Whiteley

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

lol just noticed Shields face on the poster! angry douche face!

mirinquads
    Eat my enormous ballsack boys
    mirinquads's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7742

Hmm Long Veiny Dong +210 over Erick?

Might be able to Fitch him, Though he certainly isn't as tough as Fitch.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by mirinquads View Post

Silva by R1 starching.

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

If maia comes to grapple..shields has no chance. If they strike, Jake might outpoint him, but there is no way shields can implement a sprawl and brawl game plan. He's just too slow to avoid the tie ups. Its basically up to maia...will it be adcc maia or k1 maia?

The iron sheik
    The iron sheik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    If maia comes to grapple..shields has no chance. If they strike, Jake might outpoint him, but there is no way shields can implement a sprawl and brawl game plan. He's just too slow to avoid the tie ups. Its basically up to maia...will it be adcc maia or k1 maia?
    you make it sound like jake shields isn't a competent grappler at all

there really is no guarantee whatsoever that maia will just flat out dominate him in the mat, let alone even get a td or position on him

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

I like Maia against most of the division, but I think he's getting overvalued in this fight. The match-up makes it a really close fight, Shields is one of the few Maia wouldn't be able to dominate on the ground. I see this being a shitty stand-up fight for most of the 5-rounds and it could go either way if that happens.
    Last edited by reigle9; 09-24-13 at 11:07 PM.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

Thats an interesting point about his speed and the tie ups. Id still have to point out the henderson fight though. He did well wrestling in that one.

Noleafclover
    Noleafclover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3010

shields wheelhouse is the clinch

Noleafclover

pleasantly surprised by this card, should have good betting opportunities and worth the watch more than most of these fight nights.

Ron_Paul_2012
    Ron_Paul_2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3985

It is a very real possibility. If it happens MD was still on the right side & theoretically Silva should have won. Long live the "Deep Thinking Doublethinkers"!

rocky16
    rocky16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Bros liking stun gun at that price. Can't get that Fitch fight out of my head.

Grabaka
    Update your status
    Grabaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4034

Me too. Lets do this again my niqqa

4units

Ron_Paul_2012
    Ron_Paul_2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3985

Quote Originally Posted by rocky16 View Post
    Bros liking stun gun at that price. Can't get that Fitch fight out of my head.
    I can't get the Fitch fight out of my head either. It was a sub par Fitch on the down slide & he was still able to shut Silva down. Let us not forget that Fitch's next 2 fights were loses to Maia & Burkman.

CaDDyy
    CaDDyy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

shields by decision

Noleafclover

Quote Originally Posted by rocky16 View Post
    Bros liking stun gun at that price.
    Same.

Quote Originally Posted by CaDDyy View Post
    shields by decision
    Also thinking this, though I have yet to watch film and see this dominant Maia at WW everyone is talking about. Looks like one of those fights was an early jaw injury, that seems fluky.

plekz
    plekz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5746

With ADCC being 10 days later and it being everything DHK has spoken about for the last ~year it has me hesitant on putting any money down on DHK. He also does not like forward pressure much.

As for Shields v Maia i think Maia's offense is way to aggressive to get stifled by Shields defensive qualities and i see a ton of bottom time here for Jake. Maia by DEC.

mmaed

Maia, erick silva, thiago silva, beltran, and assuncao for the win!

TheRifleman
    TheRifleman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

sheilds is a grappler and has never been submitted...ever. He's an AMERICAN jits black belt, while Maia is a Brazilian BB. It's American style vs. Brazilian style Jits....I'll take Jake +250 or whatever it is as the line is WAY out of line. They are overrating Maia because of the Fitch fight . Sheilds is the superior wrestler, so it's going to be Maia by submission or Shields by frustrating dec.

This is going to be a good one MMA purists.

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

Im thinking Pierce gets cut with a loss here

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
    I think the loser very likely gets cut with a loss.

mmaed

Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    sheilds is a grappler and has never been submitted...ever. He's an AMERICAN jits black belt, while Maia is a Brazilian BB. It's American style vs. Brazilian style Jits....I'll take Jake +250 or whatever it is as the line is WAY out of line. They are overrating Maia because of the Fitch fight . Sheilds is the superior wrestler, so it's going to be Maia by submission or Shields by frustrating dec.

This is going to be a good one MMA purists.

Maia is fairly rated due to that fight.

Noleafclover

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
    Which is stupid of the UFC, but I can't disagree.

I like Pierce though, he's been very dominant. So would be sad to see.

mirinquads

1 u, Assuncao
    3 u, Pierce + Maldonaldo/Beltran Over 2˝
    0,5 u, Shields
    1 u, Jake Shields/Demian Maia Over 4˝

Any objections?

Cannot see Pierce loosing (He opened at -180? madness), Shields has never been subbed and Assbro is undervalued
    Last edited by mirinquads; 09-29-13 at 09:31 AM.

mmaed

Pierce palhares: i could see palhares gassing and getti knocked out by pierce and obviously palharspes can sub just about anyone. Id personally stay away from that one straight but the over 1.5 might be worth it. I wouldnt mess with an over 2.5 though.

Noleafclover

Object to you not posting lines w the picks... and your punishment shall be... no response on the sides! mwahaha.

mirinquads

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
    Pierce palhares: i could see palhares gassing and getti knocked out by pierce and obviously palharspes can sub just about anyone. Id personally stay away from that one straight but the over 1.5 might be worth it. I wouldnt mess with an over 2.5 though.
    The over is on Beltran fight.

Also all the lines are shitty, missed all the openers

mmaed

The over is on Beltran fight.

Also all the lines are shitty, missed all the openers
    I am hoping Maias line improves a little bit, it would be nice to get him around -220.

mmaed

Does anyone see Thiago Silva losing this one?

plekz
    plekz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5746

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
    Does anyone see Thiago Silva losing this one?
    Unless Hamill is on TRT then no, i do think he'll last over 1,5 rounds though.

mirinquads

Probably not, but no way I would touch the bongoplayer.

Das Jax
    Das Jax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 225

Not that I disagree with the conclusion, but I was confused by your use of "American Jiu Jitsu" and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu". Both nation's practice Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (which is stylistically different than traditional Japanese Jiu Jitsu). There are certainly BJJ guys in America (I'm one of them), but there's no such thing as "American Jiu Jitsu" in the sense that it pertains to any meaningful differences in technique.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Das Jax View Post
    Not that I disagree with the conclusion, but I was confused by your use of "American Jiu Jitsu" and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu". Both nation's practice Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (which is stylistically different than traditional Japanese Jiu Jitsu). There are certainly BJJ guys in America (I'm one of them), but there's no such thing as "American Jiu Jitsu" in the sense that it pertains to any meaningful differences in technique.
    "American jiu jitsu" is what Jake Shields calls his grappling style, which is a mixture of wrestling and jiu jitsu.

TheRifleman
    TheRifleman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

Quote Originally Posted by Das Jax View Post
    lol..........I completely disagree with that statement....There are critical differences between Brazilian Jujitsu and American Jujitsu. To start with, stylistically, they both include a heavy grappling. An AJJ student will spend between 65-85% of their training time on the mat doing no-gi submission grappling. ( not include conditioning, which is done before formal class time) "AJJ" is BJJ combined with takedowns and slams from wrestling. AJJ is not terribly fond of guard work unlike BJJ..but the main difference between the two (and it is the most obvious and critical difference) is striking. In AJJ, you will hit and be hit. Even if one was to consider one’s self a “pure grappler,” in the AJJ curriculum, a student will still have to develop familiarity (at the minimum) with basic boxing, muay thai, and san shou techniques and strategies. Do you disagree?

MD

lol..........I completely disagree with that statement....There are critical differences between Brazilian Jujitsu and American Jujitsu. To start with, stylistically, they both include a heavy grappling. An AJJ student will spend between 65-85% of their training time on the mat doing no-gi submission grappling. ( not include conditioning, which is done before formal class time) "AJJ" is BJJ combined with takedowns and slams from wrestling. AJJ is not terribly fond of guard work unlike BJJ..but the main difference between the two (and it is the most obvious and critical difference) is striking. In AJJ, you will hit and be hit. Even if one was to consider one’s self a “pure grappler,” in the AJJ curriculum, a student will still have to develop familiarity (at the minimum) with basic boxing, muay thai, and san shou techniques and strategies. Do you disagree?

Hilarious that you think "American jiu jitsu" is an actual martial art and not just some sort of fringe knockoff.

1234 ... Last