Rubber Guard
    Rubber Guard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5152

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
    Matt riddle is a wrassler he would rather dry hump Floyd
    Whatever he needs to do to win the lady. Asks him to take it outside. Then takes him down with ease. A couple possible near arm triangles. Would be a blood bath.

DoggyStyle
    Stackin' Stacks
    DoggyStyle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

NFL CFB UFC 3 best sports on planet! Happy fall

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyStyle View Post
    NFL CFB UFC 3 best sports on planet earth! Happy fall
    Fixed it for ya

Fistula
    Fistula's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 456

Despite boxing's problems, it's an established sport with a global following that mma doesn't come close to. Here's a great read on the subject of mma's inflated status, especially in the US ...
    http://theboxingtribune.com/2012/05/...ufc-dominance/

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

we know breh, teach any boxer 6 months of sprawl and they can be top ten in mma. Take a mma fighter 6 months of boxing and they still couldnt beat a club level fighter

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    we know breh, teach any boxer 6 months of sprawl and they can be top ten in mma. Take a mma fighter 6 months of boxing and they still couldnt beat a club level fighter
    Oh lawd.

Noleafclover
    Noleafclover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3010

I have borne witness to the righteous indignation of Sideloaded.

Fistula

The benefit of MMA though is it's a gateway drug for young potential boxing fans. Like the orginal poster, who it seems has now seen the light.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Quote Originally Posted by Fistula View Post
    The benefit of MMA though is it's a gateway drug for young potential boxing fans. Like the orginal poster, who it seems has now seen the light.
    Bottom line is this...

If I want to learn how to rape a man, I goto bjj class
    If I want to learn how to fight like a man, I goto the boxing gym

MD

I actually feel the opposite. I used to be a big fan of boxing, but it's so unbelievably corrupt and filled with greed that MMA, which still has some legitimacy to it, at least up to this point, seems like a better fit.

I do think it's silly to act as if one sport is better than the other when it's entirely a matter of preference, though.

imadegen
    imadegen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9093

Jon Jones was sitting on his couch in community college, decided to learn mma and became a world champ in 2 years.

That would never happen in a million years in boxing because boxing is a REAL sport.

Dance puppet. You're boxing and Mayweathers bitch, putting money in their pockets so they can flaunt it in your face. I can't remember the last time I ordered a boxing fight and by the end of it said: OH I'M SO HAPPY I PAID FOR THAT. There's like 2 big fights a year and most of the people who order it are casual fans, it's more of a spectacle than anything like going to a laker game. You probably got lady gaga and lindsay lohan ordering the fight. And oh yeah, you haven't explained why mma isn't a sport, not one valid point, except Jon Jones became a UFC champ in 2 years. MMA as a mainstream sport is still rather young, you think in 10 years it won't be more competitive and harder to get in? Boxing is a corrupt dirty ass sport, and once mayweather and manny leave....zzzzz

LOL CLOWN. Keep dancing puppet the corrupt execs of boxing, they enjoy you're money.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Quote Originally Posted by imadegen View Post
    Dance puppet. You're boxing and Mayweathers bitch, putting money in their pockets so they can flaunt it in your face. I can't remember the last time I ordered a boxing fight and by the end of it said: OH I'M SO HAPPY I PAID FOR THAT. There's like 2 big fights a year and most of the people who order it are casual fans, it's more of a spectacle than anything like going to a laker game. You probably got lady gaga and lindsay lohan ordering the fight. And oh yeah, you haven't explained why mma isn't a sport, not one valid point, except Jon Jones became a UFC champ in 2 years. MMA as a mainstream sport is still rather young, you think in 10 years it won't be more competitive and harder to get in? Boxing is a corrupt dirty ass sport, and once mayweather and manny leave....zzzzz

LOL CLOWN. Keep dancing puppet the corrupt execs of boxing, they enjoy you're money.
    Brock Lesnar came from WWE and clowned MMA champions LOL. Cant wait for Chris Jericho to knock out Mayweather for the WBC belt. LOL

imadegen

Brock Lesnar came from WWE and clowned MMA champions LOL. Cant wait for Chris Jericho to knock out Mayweather for the WBC belt. LOL
    Brock lesnar went 4-3 in the UFC. You got your lube for mayweather to stick it in you tonight? HAHA Jelly you're sport is getting swallowed.

imadegen

Can't wait til a legend in your sport (James Toney) steps in the octagon and loses in 2 minutes. LOL

jacktheknife
    jacktheknife's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16884

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I actually feel the opposite. I used to be a big fan of boxing, but it's so unbelievably corrupt and filled with greed that MMA, which still has some legitimacy to it, at least up to this point, seems like a better fit.

I do think it's silly to act as if one sport is better than the other when it's entirely a matter of preference, though.
    Didn't work for me either. Couldn't get me to watch another Klitchko spam the jab for 10 rounds until the other guy says penetrate it and goes home. Or tolerate one dimensional, pillow-gloved meat-bots call themselves the best fighters in the world on the case that when you render them helpless and broken they would cry because you didn't fight like a myannn.

Bert Sugar said it would be dead in five years in like 2007. Ironyyyyyyyy

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Can't wait til a legend in your sport (James Toney) steps in the octagon and loses in 2 minutes. LOL
    Tell couture to come to a boxing ring and get his glass jaw shattered. If a WWE fighter can beat MULTIPLE MMA champions in less than 2 years it's not a real sport. Everyone in America agrees with me.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheknife View Post
    Didn't work for me either. Couldn't get me to watch another Klitchko spam the jab for 10 rounds until the other guy says penetrate it and goes home. Or tolerate one dimensional, pillow-gloved meat-bots call themselves the best fighters in the world on the case that when you render them helpless and broken they would cry because you didn't fight like a myannn.

Bert Sugar said it would be dead in five years in like 2007. Ironyyyyyyyy
    No, you would rather watch two gassed out cans with mohawks and tribal tattoos breathe on each other for 2 rounds.

MMA in 2013. WHAT IN THE FUK?
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 05-14-15 at 05:05 PM. Reason: image does not exist

MD

I don't really see what this argument is about. You're both just distorting the facts in such a way as to make them appear to support your opinion. A common tactic, but not a good one. Can't we all just agree that both are better than NASCAR?

imadegen

Tell couture to come to a boxing ring and get his glass jaw shattered. If a WWE fighter can beat MULTIPLE MMA champions in less than 2 years it's not a real sport. Everyone in America agrees with me.

He was also a 2x all american wrestler in college, and played in the NFL. You act like he was some random joe off the street! Still haven't made a point backing up your initial claim that MMA is not a sport. Keep dancin puppet.

imadegen

I don't really see what this argument is about. You're both just distorting the facts in such a way as to make them appear to support your opinion. A common tactic, but not a good one. Can't we all just agree that both are better than NASCAR?
    See I'm actually making points towards his argument MMA is not a sport (the title of the thread). He is simply stating his opinion of the sport, not backing up his claim.

MD

You are also manipulating the facts to suit your argument, though.

Brock lesnar went 4-3 in the UFC. You got your lube for mayweather to stick it in you tonight? HAHA Jelly you're sport is getting swallowed.
    Lesnar went 4-3, but had his career ruined by diverticulitis. Not really a fair statement.

What would be fair is to say that he came in and beat Randy Couture, whom he outweighed by around 60 lbs, and had a successful run in the heavyweight division when it was almost as bad as it's ever been.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

See I'm actually making points towards his argument MMA is not a sport (the title of the thread). He is simply stating his opinion of the sport, not backing up his claim.
    There is no winning with you. Another guy who thinks MMA is real.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

try that jiu jitsu bullshit in the street. You will get your fuking dome caved in pulling guard like a little bitch. I would rather throw hands and walk away alive.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Would love to see your closed guard sweeps in the streets imadegen. Meanwhile you're rolling on broken glass and taking kicks to the head. I could knock out 4 men in 5 seconds with handspeed and power. Cant do that in bjj.

jacktheknife
    jacktheknife's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16884

No, you would rather watch two gassed out cans with mohawks and tribal tattoos breathe on each other for 2 rounds.

MMA in 2013. WHAT IN THE FUK?
    Especially when you have money on the guy who gutted out the win.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 05-14-15 at 05:05 PM. Reason: image does not exist

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheknife View Post
    Especially when you have money on the guy who gutted out the win.
    Would rather stick my dick in AIDS than watch a fight like that

Fistula

I don't watch MMA so I had no idea reality was this different from hype... but there are less than 60 active UFC fighters in almost every one of the UFC's nine divisions!!! I know UFC isn't the only MMA thing, but it's the face of MMA and where all the best MMA fighters are supposed to fight. There are over 1500 active boxers in each of boxing's 17 divisions. That also makes the claim that the 'best fight the best' in UFC pretty pointless. There just isn't remotely the depth in MMA that there is in boxing. Elite boxers spend years developing their craft by fighting dozens if not hundreds of amateur bouts and fighting their way up deep professional ranks, and have to earn their status in the sport. A pro wrestler can succeed and become a big name in the UFC because the talent is so thin, but that can't happen in boxing.
    Last edited by Fistula; 09-12-13 at 02:44 AM.

MD

I don't watch mma so I had no idea reality was this different from hype... but there are less than 60 active UFC fighters in almost every one of the UFC's nine divisions!!! I know UFC isn't the only the only MMA thing, but it's the face of MMA and where all the best MMA fighters are supposed to fight. There are over 1500 active boxers in each of boxing's 17 divisions. That also makes the claim that the 'best fight the best' in UFC pretty pointless. There just isn't remotely the depth in MMA that there is in boxing. Elite boxers have to earn their status in the sport by spending years developing their craft, fighting dozens if not 100+ amateur bouts, then fighting their way up deep professional ranks. A pro wrestler can succeed and become a big name in the UFC because the talent is so thin, but that could never happen in boxing.

The UFC is actually looking to cut a lot of those guys, too. They have too many guys. The reality of the situation is that they only want the best, most exciting guys. I certainly wouldn't say that the talent is thin, but it's a new sport. I would however say that if Floyd Mayweather had trained in MMA from age 28 and onwards, he'd be lucky to scrape the top ten at 145. They're just two completely different sports. When I look at the top ten in each division in MMA, it's very difficult for me to imagine its depth of talent as "thin".

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Would love to see your closed guard sweeps in the streets imadegen. Meanwhile you're rolling on broken glass and taking kicks to the head. I could knock out 4 men in 5 seconds with handspeed and power. Cant do that in bjj.
    what happens if you miss the first punch, jiu jitsu guy gets takedown and hands you back your arm broken in 3 places? my coach is all of 150lbs soaking wet and would choke you unconscious in less than a minute

The iron sheik
    The iron sheik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Canelo started boxing at 13 years of age, turned pro when he was 15 and beat grown ups in professional fights. Yeah that sounds like a really steep learning curve and an amazing talent pool.

Whatever though, this thread sucks ass.

Fistula

The UFC is actually looking to cut a lot of those guys, too. They have too many guys. The reality of the situation is that they only want the best, most exciting guys. I certainly wouldn't say that the talent is thin, but it's a new sport. I would however say that if Floyd Mayweather had trained in MMA from age 28 and onwards, he'd be lucky to scrape the top ten at 145. They're just two completely different sports. When I look at the top ten in each division in MMA, it's very difficult for me to imagine its depth of talent as "thin".
    Ok, participation itself is so thin that being 'the best' doesn't mean much. No one who begins a sport at age 28 should be able to succeed at it so quickly. If he can it has to say something about the sport. Seth Mitchell is a rare example of someone who started boxing late, at age 24, and it was amazing for him to become as much as a top-20 heavyweight.
    Last edited by Fistula; 09-12-13 at 03:04 AM.

MD

Ok, participation itself is so thin that being 'the best' doesn't mean much. No one who begins a sport at age 28 should be able to succeed at it so quickly. If he can it has to say something about the sport. Seth Mitchell is a rare example of someone who started boxing late, at age 24, and it was amazing for him to become as much as a top-20 heavyweight.
    Mixed martial arts isn't boxing. "Training MMA" is a new concept; the majority of successful mixed martial artists have been training in martial arts since they were young, but have only been training concepts specific to the sport for a short amount of time. Brock Lesnar was one of the greatest heavyweight collegiate wrestlers of all time. The skills that it takes to succeed in MMA are different to the skills it takes to succeed in boxing, because less-athletic guys can use strategy and intelligence to beat more athletic guys to a greater degree than is possible in boxing. With more variety comes a greater opportunity for wiggle room when it comes to athleticism. I'm not sure how long that will last, as the overall standard of athleticism is going up rapidly.

Another concept that would probably be difficult for you to understand if you don't watch MMA is that it's often pointless to approach MMA striking from the perspective of, say, boxing or kickboxing. World-class strikers can be completely outclassed by guys who have been striking for just a couple of years, because when grappling, clinching, and other MMA-specific factors are considered, the striking game becomes a lot more complex. If James Toney actually had a gameplan and had any desire to try and beat Randy Couture, he probably would have went in with his hands down by his waist for the entire fight in an attempt to stop takedowns. In that position, how likely is it that Toney, an ageing world champion boxer with a big size edge, out-strikes Couture, an even more ageing former army boxer? "Not very" would be my answer. Floyd Mayweather would stand almost no chance against Jose Aldo (the UFC's 145lb champion) in a kickboxing match, as Aldo would stand almost no chance in a boxing match against Mayweather.

tl;dr MMA is an art unto itself and it's difficult to compare it to boxing.

Fistula

Mixed martial arts isn't boxing. "Training MMA" is a new concept; the majority of successful mixed martial artists have been training in martial arts since they were young, but have only been training concepts specific to the sport for a short amount of time. Brock Lesnar was one of the greatest heavyweight collegiate wrestlers of all time. The skills that it takes to succeed in MMA are different to the skills it takes to succeed in boxing, because less-athletic guys can use strategy and intelligence to beat more athletic guys to a greater degree than is possible in boxing. With more variety comes a greater opportunity for wiggle room when it comes to athleticism. I'm not sure how long that will last, as the overall standard of athleticism is going up rapidly.

Another concept that would probably be difficult for you to understand if you don't watch MMA is that it's often pointless to approach MMA striking from the perspective of, say, boxing or kickboxing. World-class strikers can be completely outclassed by guys who have been striking for just a couple of years, because when grappling, clinching, and other MMA-specific factors are considered, the striking game becomes a lot more complex. If James Toney actually had a gameplan and had any desire to try and beat Randy Couture, he probably would have went in with his hands down by his waist for the entire fight in an attempt to stop takedowns. In that position, how likely is it that Toney, an ageing world champion boxer with a big size edge, out-strikes Couture, an even more ageing former army boxer? "Not very" would be my answer. Floyd Mayweather would stand almost no chance against Jose Aldo (the UFC's 145lb champion) in a kickboxing match, as Aldo would stand almost no chance in a boxing match against Mayweather.

tl;dr MMA is an art unto itself and it's difficult to compare it to boxing.
    I didn't and wouldn't say a boxer would beat an mma fighter. Incidentally though, the skills involved in boxing are not primarily athletic at all. That's why boxing technique and strategy has not evolved over the last 80 years as athleticism has improved, like other sports. But because I don't give a damn about MMA fighting I restrict my criticisms to how its run and how popular it is. And indeed MMA's had the success it has only because UFC's been well-marketed, not because of any rooted popularity of MMA. In the long run how UFC runs and promotes a new sport will hurt and likely retard the development of the fighting techniques you describe. The MMA hype far exceeds its participation, viewership, and general popularity.
    Last edited by Fistula; 09-12-13 at 03:41 AM.

MD

I didn't and wouldn't say a boxer would beat an mma fighter. Incidentally though, the skills involved in boxing are not primarily athletic at all. That's why boxing technique and strategy has not evolved over the last 80 years as athleticism has improved, like other sports. But because I don't give a damn about MMA fighting I restrict my criticisms to how its run and how popular it is. And indeed MMA's had the success it has only because UFC's been well-marketed, not because of any rooted popularity of MMA. In the long run how UFC runs and promotes a new sport will hurt and likely retard the development of the fighting techniques you describe. The MMA hype far exceeds its participation, viewership, and general popularity.
    I know you didn't say that a boxer would beat an MMA fighter, no logical person would argue that (or the opposite point).

I don't agree that boxing strategy hasn't evolved. I think that the use of angles has generally improved, and that tighter, defence-centric styles aren't as common. Floyd Mayweather is a great exception, though. You could slot him into almost any era in the history of boxing and he wouldn't look out of place style-wise, except for possibly this one.

I don't think that UFC's marketing will have a negative effect on fighting techniques, either. The quality of techniques has risen significantly over the last few years. If you're a fan of combat, even if you're not into MMA, it's worth watching some of those fights, because some are so beautiful to watch that they should be enjoyed by all. Same way I felt when Martinez knocked out Williams. What a graceful man Martinez was.

Fistula

I know you didn't say that a boxer would beat an MMA fighter, no logical person would argue that (or the opposite point).

I don't agree that boxing strategy hasn't evolved. I think that the use of angles has generally improved, and that tighter, defence-centric styles aren't as common. Floyd Mayweather is a great exception, though. You could slot him into almost any era in the history of boxing and he wouldn't look out of place style-wise, except for possibly this one.

I don't think that UFC's marketing will have a negative effect on fighting techniques, either. The quality of techniques has risen significantly over the last few years. If you're a fan of combat, even if you're not into MMA, it's worth watching some of those fights, because some are so beautiful to watch that they should be enjoyed by all. Same way I felt when Martinez knocked out Williams. What a graceful man Martinez was.
    The prevalence of boxing styles has more changed in waves, rather than evolved. Boxers who defend with a tighter guard may be less prevalent at the moment, but it's not because boxing technique has evolved absoloutely. There have also been many defensive techniques that have been almost lost. Hardly any boxers feint anymore. Ezzard Charles, George Benton, Eder Jofre, and Niccolino Locche were also more masterful with the use of angles than any active boxers, as older boxers generally I think generally were compared to active boxers. I'm not saying boxing skill has regressed, just that it hasn't evolved through athleticism. Considering UFC fighters are as strong and fit as boxers I'd think they use athleticism more. I can tell just from coming across highlights that that Canadian UFC guy uses athleticism to succeed.

I'm not really a fan of 'combat', no. I already spend too much time watching boxing, and think there are otherwise so many better things to do in life than find out what cagefighters are doing.

But this is a diversion I won't let you trap me into: there are way more than 10 times professional boxers than MMA fighters worldwide, and also many more times the viewership of boxing compared to MMA. There just isn't enough quantity there to fool anyone into thinking that the moderate success of the US-centric UFC gimmick that MMA puts all its promotional muscle into means MMA is even close to a properly established sport, which boxing still is.

I've never commented online about UFC before. I'm here for the tennis, and for the couple boxing threads. But before every really big boxing event UFC fans always have to come out in droves to bash boxing. Boxing fans or promoters don't do that before UFC events, because boxing doesn't see UFC as a threat, while UFC is so insecure about becoming the number 1 super awesome combat phenomenon that it needs to take every opportunity to bash boxing. Kind of suggests that it isn't actually as popular as it thinks it is.
    Last edited by Fistula; 09-12-13 at 05:03 AM.

First 123 Last