TheCalculator
    TheCalculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5633

BAFFLED: Why was Chael by sub only +500 against Rua?

I know it's old news, but I'm still baffled. I actually looked at the odds on this prop before the fight and thought there wasn't enough value at +500.

The line didn't make sense to me. How does a guy with 1 submission win in the last 6 years, who's fighting a guy who hasn't been submitted in 6 years (and is supposedly a master in BJJ) only get +500?

Kpn
    Kpn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Because it was a 5-round fight. Most people assumed Shogun would gas hard, and if he did gas hard a submission makes the most sense in terms of Chael winning. Had it been a 3round fight I'm sure the SUB prop would have been a substantially higher payout.

Noleafclover
    Noleafclover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3010

Quote Originally Posted by TheCalculator View Post
    I know it's old news, but I'm still baffled. I actually looked at the odds on this prop before the fight and thought there wasn't enough value at +500.

The line didn't make sense to me. How does a guy with 1 submission win in the last 6 years, who's fighting a guy who hasn't been submitted in 6 years (and is supposedly a master in BJJ) only get +500?
    5-rd fight where sonnen expected to be laying on top of rua for rds 2.5-5 and has 0 power to finish with strikes, only way you do see sonnen ending is sub.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

Its funny I actually said Sonnen might sub Shogun and I got flamed. I thought it would take place in round four or five though. I was shocked when he did it in round one and the way he did it.

Luca Fury
    I make my living betting on MMA
    Luca Fury's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 757

Quote Originally Posted by TheCalculator View Post

5dimes has a lot of weirdly-priced props because they set them based on spread sheet calculations, not oddsmaker analysis.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

a lot of the MMA props at 5 Dimes, you could say the odds don't make sense if you look at the past history of the fighters (I sometimes look at how often a guy has won via sub/ko/decision and then look at the odds. Doesn't compute)

mmaed

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Fury View Post
    5dimes has a lot of weirdly-priced props because they set them based on spread sheet calculations, not oddsmaker analysis.
    Im not sure about that. I think they take fighter skillsets into account when they formulate the odds. I am sure jake shields by submission will have a much higher payout than jake shields by decision when he fights maia.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
    Im not sure about that. I think they take fighter skillsets into account when they formulate the odds. I am sure jake shields by submission will have a much higher payout than jake shields by decision when he fights maia.
    o lawd

mmaed

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    o lawd
    What?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

haha

mirinquads
    Eat my enormous ballsack boys
    mirinquads's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7742

It was like +1450 at one point

We calculated that it was Babalu (the first man to guillotine Shogun) who taught Shael how to do it. Babalu was also in charge of Shoguns ground game during the camp, where he also tweaked Shogun to be susceptible to the particular submission, by giving up his neck when trying to stand up.

Im sure Thor will back me up on this.

Really though, kinda sad that the fight didn't go deeper, first round was interesting back and forth, Shogun even took Chael down and swept him at one point, could have been a really good fight.