El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Plekz is Frank Mir?!

Some guy's say they are tough...I AM tough. C'mon, look at me.

wagerjunkie
    wagerjunkie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

and why don't you think Pettis was going for broke? if he knew he only had one leg to stand one, he saw his opportunity for the arm bar and "went for broke" while on his back...simple as that...

whats wrong with that? you act like im taking credibility away from him

wagerjunkie
    wagerjunkie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

I'm actually saying it's a shame that we won't get to see the kid fight for a while cause i like how good he is, and you argue with me about that

lol un real

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post

Some guy's say they are tough...I AM tough. C'mon, look at me.

haha

"I'm working on the intricacies of details of maneuvers that he still doesn't even know the names of!" - Plebz

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Just watching "The Iceman" boiiiz, Michael Shannon is a bad-ass alpha in it fellaz

Noleafclover
    Noleafclover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3010

Little disingenuous to ask how often Pettis gets the armbar without asking how often (even as injury-prone as he is) he injures his knee, MD.

Were there a rematch with both healthy tomorrow, I'd take Pettis at evens. Really was destroying Bendo in the standup, and I remember saying, "Can Bendo keep this a grappling contest for 5 rounds?" as I watched it, looked like it was taking everything he had and not quite enough.

Was a tough fight to call, not unhappy I spent my time capping other contests, but good work Pettis backers. Except Plekz, who needs to calm the f*ck down.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by Noleafclover View Post
    Little disingenuous to ask how often Pettis gets the armbar without asking how often (even as injury-prone as he is) he injures his knee, MD.

Were there a rematch with both healthy tomorrow, I'd take Pettis at evens. Really was destroying Bendo in the standup, and I remember saying, "Can Bendo keep this a grappling contest for 5 rounds?" as I watched it, looked like it was taking everything he had and not quite enough.

Was a tough fight to call, not unhappy I spent my time capping other contests, but good work Pettis backers. Except Plekz, who needs to calm the f*ck down.
    Figured it was pretty obvious that the injury was exceptional, not standard. The reason that I didn't bring it up is because I was arguing with plekz, who thought the knee was a non-factor and mitigated it as much as possible by saying that Pettis said he felt a twerk and some pain (paraphrasing a bit here, may have said "popped" or something instead of twerk).

Pettis was definitely getting the better of the standup, but they were limited exchanges. What really happened other than the bodykicks? If the fight had kept going, would Pettis have had the edge in the standup consistently? Maybe (probably), but there was, again, not enough shown on either side for me to say that either guy was the right side. Pettis landed some big shots on the feet, and Bendo turned the fight into a grindfest for the majority of the round, exactly as most would advise him to do. Both were fighting intelligently and I really have no idea who would win more often if they fought a hundred times, at least not based on what transpired. I'd think Bendo would, but that's because I thought Bendo would win more often before the fight transpired, and nothing that occurred really gave me much new information.

Tommy Blingshyne
    Tommy Blingshyne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 304

ah let plekz have his fun...he got buried beyond belief w/ ellenberger and shogun so its only fair he gets to gloat over pettis...finally got his voice back and hes putting those chirpin chips to use...good 4 u

Noleafclover

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Figured it was pretty obvious that the injury was exceptional, not standard. The reason that I didn't bring it up is because I was arguing with plekz, who thought the knee was a non-factor and mitigated it as much as possible by saying that Pettis said he felt a twerk and some pain (paraphrasing a bit here, may have said "popped" or something instead of twerk).

Pettis was definitely getting the better of the standup, but they were limited exchanges. What really happened other than the bodykicks? If the fight had kept going, would Pettis have had the edge in the standup consistently? Maybe (probably), but there was, again, not enough shown on either side for me to say that either guy was the right side. Pettis landed some big shots on the feet, and Bendo turned the fight into a grindfest for the majority of the round, exactly as most would advise him to do. Both were fighting intelligently and I really have no idea who would win more often if they fought a hundred times, at least not based on what transpired. I'd think Bendo would, but that's because I thought Bendo would win more often before the fight transpired, and nothing that occurred really gave me much new information.
    Well Plekz got the right conclusion the wrong way, very dangerous in the long-term. Sure injury-variance obvious, but deserves to be mentioned in variance discussions if we're mentioning the armbar.

All due respect, you should consider whether you rationalize some. Hard claim to make in my mind that fight happens again, still no lean, esp. with smallish MinEdges that iirc you advocate.

And I don't know if I've made it clear, but I avoided attacking it all together, so I can't truly claim we could know going in that Pettis was the right side, only that the true line should be higher than posted on him.

MD

Well Plekz got the right conclusion the wrong way, very dangerous in the long-term. Sure injury-variance obvious, but deserves to be mentioned in variance discussions if we're mentioning the armbar.

All due respect, you should consider whether you rationalize some. Hard claim to make in my mind that fight happens again, still no lean, esp. with smallish MinEdges that iirc you advocate.

And I don't know if I've made it clear, but I avoided attacking it all together, so I can't truly claim we could know going in that Pettis was the right side, only that the true line should be higher than posted on him.
    That is ridiculous. If Bendo had taken down Pettis in that same scenario, and we paused the fight, and I asked you what the chances were that Pettis manages to lock up a submission here, what would you have said before the fight?

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

Quote Originally Posted by plekz View Post
    Benson was done after those three bodykicks, his expression and the way he was backing away like he didn't want anymore of it said it all and he had absolutley ZERO luck with any takedowns, so unless he was gonna reinvent himself as a fighter in the 1 minute intermission between rounds he was squarely phucked, much like you are in the head.
    same fight i saw

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Agree. First round was Bendo controlling the Octagon, stalking and grinding Pettis against the cage. 4 Body kicks doesn't win Pettis the round if Bendo stays on him. People will argue anything around here.

Congrats Pettis backers. I wanna see Pettis/Grant before I see Pettis/Aldo. Hopefully he's not out too long.
    4 kicks don't but an armbar does. By the way id much rather take what Bendo dished out than those 4 brutal kicks. I think i felt them over here.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    same fight i saw
    Those kicks sounded very hard but bendo was able to take him down so i dont think he needed to reinvent himself.

Thor4140

He subbed Bendo a guy who has been in a lot of BBJ tournaments recently honing his craft. KInda impressive don't u think? Bendo's biggest advantage in the fight was his sub defense and that got smashed. I don't wanna say the guy is a paper champion like the one fella because he is a really good fighter but judging got him a few wins he shouldn't have had. I know he was rubbing me the wrong way with all that talk about beating A Sliva record. Cmon man u are barely beating people and on the end of some favorable decisions and now u think u are beating people like A Silva does or Aldo?

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
    Those kicks sounded very hard but bendo was able to take him down so i dont think he needed to reinvent himself.
    Dude where did he take him down? lol. That was all about Showtime trying to make a statement with one of his signature moves which failed.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

Dude where did he take him down? lol. That was all about Showtime trying to make a statement with one of his signature moves which failed.
    Your right.

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
    Your right.
    on this ego site i think u may be the first person that ever admitted this

Noleafclover

That is ridiculous. If Bendo had taken down Pettis in that same scenario, and we paused the fight, and I asked you what the chances were that Pettis manages to lock up a submission here, what would you have said before the fight?
    Would have said slim, but don't misunderstand - the rest of the fight is why I'd now be happy to get Pettis @ Evens. Anyway, just saying really.

MD

Would have said slim, but don't misunderstand - the rest of the fight is why I'd now be happy to get Pettis @ Evens. Anyway, just saying really.
    That makes more sense. On that point I'll agree to disagree. Would have been a lot more information gained if they got to R2, I think. Retrospectively, what bothers me the most is that the fight wasn't good. That's a real shame.

Noleafclover

Tis

Grabaka
    Update your status
    Grabaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4034

on this ego site i think u may be the first person that ever admitted this
    I did it before....IM BETTER

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

why do you think the fight wasn't good? to a lot of bjj guys (myself included) it was beautiful technique that ended the fight

MD

Quote Originally Posted by stefan084 View Post
    why do you think the fight wasn't good? to a lot of bjj guys (myself included) it was beautiful technique that ended the fight
    Takes more than a good ending to make a good fight. Plus, the ending came a bit out of left field. Pettis let go of the armbar and everyone was left scratching their heads for a few seconds until the obvious became apparent.

varkolek
    varkolek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2430

I read what Plekz was saying about Benson being a clinch wrestler not someone who shoots at range like Guida, but I didn't get around to really capping the fight. I watched a few of Pettis' matches, but only watched Benson against Guida for comparison.

I bet small on Benson, because I always bet on the dry humper. But I am a bit surprised Benson couldn't get a single takedown with all those attempts. I don't know how the fight would have been scored if it had gone on, but it seemed to me Pettis was taking control, and should have been winning rounds if he didn't do things like give up position with that kick.

I don't know if Pettis would have won but think he should have been the favourite. I got scared during the walkouts and bet on Not Henderside inside the distance, but didn't bet enough on that to cover my loss.

I didn't know Pettis injured his knee until I read this thread though.

Dillonious Monk
    Dillonious Monk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3839

I swear, this guy will argue anything to defend a bet he makes.

He took Pettis down off of a kick and got caught in an armbar. He had turned the fight into a tiring grindfest for most of the first round, and if it had ended with Bendo on top instead of with the armbar, Pettis would likely be down a round going into round two, with an injured knee. If you think that there was enough shown to discern who the right side probably was, then you're as dishonest with yourself as you are with the rest of SBR.
    The fact that Pettis was able to end the fight with an injured knee just makes him look more like the right side. Bendo STILL couldn't take him down when he had an injured knee-which, nobody can expect someone to injure their knee early in the fight. Then, he was able to hurt Benson with body kicks..which were far more effective than the weak ass strikes Ben was landing against the cage. Ben almost won a round-WOW! Newsflash, this was a 5 round fight, and Ben didn't even make it out of the 1st. People who had Pettis probably had faith in his finishing ability moreso than him winning a decision, which is the EXACT REASON that Pettis ITD was a shorter line than Pettis by decision.

Even if he didn't finish him with a sub there, he still HURT him pretty bad with the first 3 or 4 strikes he landed. What was going to happen when Pettis really started teeing off if the fight hadn't ended by sub in the first? That would have been a long 25 minutes for Bendo.

+110 Pettis was easily the right side.

Everyone was talking about how much Benson hasn't improved leading up to this fight but how? He arguably lost 2 of his last 3 fights while Pettis easily beat down Lauzon and Cerrone...the latter being very impressive. His fights against Stephens and Guida were letdowns but the Pettis that fought Cerrone was a different animal. Plus the fact that Pettis had been taken down and been put in bad spots by Ben in their first fight and fought back, got the momentum back, and took over...that was also a contributing factor of my confidence in Pettis.
    Last edited by Dillonious Monk; 09-03-13 at 02:58 AM.

First 1234