plekz
    plekz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5746

Shogun was in worse shape physicly in that fight though then he even was for the Jon Jones one, Shogun gassing in fights is due to the insane amount of punishment he endures and at the tempo they are going, he took brutal shots standing from Hendo,Gustafsson and Jones (and gassed) but say against Machida when he fought a technical muay thai clinic for five rounds he was not close to gassing at all.

I have a very hard time seeing Sonnen being the first guy ever to be able to keep Shogun down for extended periods of time, and he damn sure isnt going to finish or even come close to hurting him standing or on the ground. Sonnen as of this moment has a losing record as a LHW and he resigned with the UFC to go back to MW.
    Points Awarded:

sideloaded gave plekz 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Luca Fury
    I make my living betting on MMA
    Luca Fury's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 757

Quote Originally Posted by plekz View Post
    I have a very hard time seeing Sonnen being the first guy ever to be able to keep Shogun down for extended periods of time
    Jon Jones?

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Fury View Post
    Jon Jones?
    F-ck off tout, why would we discuss anything with you? So you can take our knowledge and sell it to the masses? Legit question.

plekz

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Fury View Post
    Jon Jones?
    After a hellacious flying knee that would have gotten alot of people out there then and there. You ever had a direct shot to your solar plexus? have your diaphragm completly freeze on you?

Silva caught Bonnar with a knee to the same spot and he was out of there instantly. Chael can't hurt Shogun standing and he wont be able to on the ground either.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by plekz View Post
    After a hellacious flying knee that would have gotten alot of people out there then and there. You ever had a direct shot to your solar plexus? have your diaphragm completly freeze on you?

Silva caught Bonnar with a knee to the same spot and he was out of there instantly. Chael can't hurt Shogun standing and he wont be able to on the ground either.
    Shogun just flaked out in that fight man. I bet Luca could take him in a fight.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

I could see sonnen having a harder time taking people down at 205 pounds just because they are all bigger than the 185 ers. Sonnen doesnt appear to be bigger. Im sure he added a little muscle but probably not much.

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

Shogun is a small 205er with horrible wresting. As long as sonnen isn't in half guard or guard this should be fine.
    Also unlike Anderson shoguns face shows the damage he takes. Brandon Vera pushed shogun. The wars that both guys hve been in will show in thi fight. Loser should could call it quits with a head held high especially sonnen cause he isn't even athletic

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
    Shogun is a small 205er with horrible wresting. As long as sonnen isn't in half guard or guard this should be fine.
    Also unlike Anderson shoguns face shows the damage he takes. Brandon Vera pushed shogun. The wars that both guys hve been in will show in thi fight. Loser should could call it quits with a head held high especially sonnen cause he isn't even athletic
    Almost every fight Shogun has had in recent memory, his strategy consisted primarily of using his wrestling. Shogun being primarily a striker is a meme.

That doesn't necessarily mean that his wrestling isn't horrible, though.

Beelzebubzy

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Almost every fight Shogun has had in recent memory, his strategy consisted primarily of using his wrestling. Shogun being primarily a striker is a meme.

That doesn't necessarily mean that his wrestling isn't horrible, though.
    I agree. He tries to take down fighters like Hendo and Vera and it worked well. However defensively he will be outclassed here. The sonnen lesnar bull rush takedown should work here if sonnen isn't shooting from 30 feet. Also gustaffaon (from what I recall) was comfortable in his guard.

MD

I agree. He tries to take down fighters like Hendo and Vera and it worked well. However defensively he will be outclassed here. The sonnen lesnar bull rush takedown should work here if sonnen isn't shooting from 30 feet. Also gustaffaon (from what I recall) was comfortable in his guard.
    Gustafsson wrestle-****** Shogun pretty hard during their fight, which was smart, as Shogun really only had a puncher's chance, and he hit Gustafsson with a couple of huge punches. It says a lot that he was able to do that, however.

Beelzebubzy

Ok don't remember that fight at all then.

i remember shogun rolling for leg locks and gustaffson jabbin

MD

Ok don't remember that fight at all then.

i remember shogun rolling for leg locks and gustaffson jabbin
    It was Shogun bumrushing and attempting takedowns, while Gustafsson hung back and succeeded on takedowns. If memory serves, the Fightmetric stats at the time said that Gustafsson took him down six times. I remember scoring it 29-28 Gustafsson, giving Shogun the first round.

plekz

Gustafsson wrestle-****** Shogun pretty hard during their fight, which was smart, as Shogun really only had a puncher's chance, and he hit Gustafsson with a couple of huge punches. It says a lot that he was able to do that, however.
    Gustafsson didn't start having success though until he had inflicted enough damage, much like in the Vera and Henderson fights where he absorbed insane amounts of punishment (and the Jon Jones fight) it's humanly impossible to not slow down when you are taking that much punishment.

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5361

Shogun at + money? penetrate yea.

Rubber Guard
    Rubber Guard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5152

It is an odd fight to call for me. I feel either guy has a decent chance at doing what they do. Sonnen should get him down. But that doesn't mean he can't get finished at some point. Shogun hasn't been that great as of late. But I'm not sold on Sonnen either. He still lives off that first Anderson fight. He put up no resistance to Bones. He got goofy vs. Anderson the 2nd time. He perhaps lost to Bisping. The man is old and seems to be just as much of a TV analyst as he is a fighter now a days. He has proven nothing at 205 and may have 1 foot out the door.

rocky16
    rocky16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Hey phagets, I will be sitting 4th row from the cage. Look for me playas, I'll be the alpha who smacks Arianny's and grabs Palmer's ass.

Crassus
    Crassus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1058

Quote Originally Posted by rocky16 View Post
    Hey phagets, I will be sitting 4th row from the cage. Look for me playas, I'll be the alpha who smacks Arianny's and grabs Palmer's ass.
    I'm up in the bleachers. Shit.

rocky16

Quote Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
    I'm up in the bleachers. Shit.
    You local or you coming from a distance?

Crassus

You local or you coming from a distance?
    I study in Boston, so sorta local. You?

rocky16

I study in Boston, so sorta local. You?
    I live 25 mins north of the Garden. I take 93 and shoot right in. Should be a good time. I'm sitting section F row 4. You up in balcony?

Crassus

I live 25 mins north of the Garden. I take 93 and shoot right in. Should be a good time. I'm sitting section F row 4. You up in balcony?
    Yeh, Balcony 325. I didn't feel like spending too much for this one, I went decently out for Diaz vs GSP in Montreal already lol.

rocky16

Yeh, Balcony 325. I didn't feel like spending too much for this one, I went decently out for Diaz vs GSP in Montreal already lol.
    I hear ya. I recently was offered a job that pays 6 figures so I figured what the fock, I can afford it.

rocky16

Did you hit up Grand Prix when you went to Montreal?

Crassus

Did you hit up Grand Prix when you went to Montreal?
    Congrats on the job, and nah, I was in Montreal in march. Shoulda gone this summer, maybe next year.

rocky16

Congrats on the job, and nah, I was in Montreal in march. Shoulda gone this summer, maybe next year.
    Next time you go tell a cabbie to take you to Grand Prix. its about 15 mins outside Montreal. Pretty good brothel. Chicks give good head. Tell them I sent you.

mmaed

Anyone here betting shogun or chael?

plekz

I'm going Shogun because i'm somewhat sure Chael is just blowin smoke and that he has no intentions on doing all those fights he signed for, he'll do a couple more after this one at best and then call it quits and move onto broadcasting/commentating he'll prolly jump as soon as he's offered something solid.

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

I'm inclined to just bet the dog in the sonnen and shogun fight. Shogun at +135 looks tempting.

mmaed

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post
    I'm inclined to just bet the dog in the sonnen and shogun fight. Shogun at +135 looks tempting.
    Yeah it is tempting. I could see shogun subbing him or knocking him out. I could also see him stuffing a reasonable number of takedows. I could also see chael wrestlefuchin him and wearing him down. I see shogun gassing before chael. That said, chael was denied a license for trt in boston so that throws a curveball into this fight.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
    Yeah it is tempting. I could see shogun subbing him or knocking him out. I could also see him stuffing a reasonable number of takedows. I could also see chael wrestlefuchin him and wearing him down. I see shogun gassing before chael. That said, chael was denied a license for trt in boston so that throws a curveball into this fight.
    I swear this guy is Gunshard's ghost account. Does anyone else see it?

mmaed

I swear this guy is Gunshard's ghost account. Does anyone else see it?
    What is your problem with me?

MD

What is your problem with me?
    I don't have a problem with you. You're not even one of my least-favourite members.

Don't take it personally.

mmaed

I don't have a problem with you. You're not even one of my least-favourite members.

Don't take it personally.
    Alright fine. Sorry i have been snappy. Who is gunshard anyways? A troll?

MD

Alright fine. Sorry i have been snappy. Who is gunshard anyways? A troll?
    Don't apologize, I'm a massive tool, I mostly just post dickish comments for my own amusement. My best hope is that people take it in good humour.

Gunshard is maybe a troll, we're not sure. He just posts really obvious stuff all the time. If you ever see anyone reputable post something like "Jose Aldo is a good fighter", or "Anderson Silva is a good striker", they're probably making fun of Gunshard. I remember Vaughany once said "Anderson Silva is a good striker", as a joke, and Gunshard quoted him and replied "No, Anderson Silva is a great striker".

He also liked to sync up two fighters' highlight videos side-by-side so that he could compare their speed and pretend that they're fighting eachother. He's either the greatest troll in SBR history, or Andrew Robl.

mmaed

I have a tendency to post whatever crosses my mind. Generally i am just trying to flush out and compile my thoughts in order to compare them to others. I am known for my odd posting style on another forum. Its actually named after me there. I am just fishing for opinions.

First 12345 ... Last