Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

A pitcher served up a meatball tonight for the Homerun record.

I am glad Weidman won, but I honestly don't feel that great about it. I don't know why, but the whole thing seemed tainted.

hougigo
    hougigo's Avatar Become A Pro!

tainted how? I still don't understand why people think this fight was fixed

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6160

tainted how?

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass
    Wanna Bet On It?'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5734

Pfft. It's *tainted* yet the same clowning tactics Anderson Silva employed against weaker willed fighters, slower fighters, and shorter reach fighters to destroy them was implemented against a strong-willed, faster & longer reach fighter who picked his spot and caught Anderson in his own trap thanks to those intrinsic differences.

Only the Anderson nuthuggers, Brazilians and people without much analytical skill fail to recognize this.

JuicedUp

well said Wanna Bet!

Kermit

No No No, I don't mean it was fixed, I mean the actual feeling of winning didn't seem like it was something that I would be overly proud of, but more happy that I got it.

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by Wanna Bet On It? View Post
    Pfft. It's *tainted* yet the same clowning tactics Anderson Silva employed against weaker willed fighters, slower fighters, and shorter reach fighters to destroy them was implemented against a strong-willed, faster & longer reach fighter who picked his spot and caught Anderson in his own trap thanks to those intrinsic differences.

Only the Anderson nuthuggers, Brazilians and people without much analytical skill fail to recognize this.
    How many fighters that are "The Best" drop their hands and give you the opportunity to hit them? That is kind of what I am saying.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agreed. The takedown in the 1st round and the subsequent gnp was solid from Weidman, but after that, Anderson was connecting with legs kicks, avoiding takedowns, and generally making progress. Anderson's impatience opened the door up for Weidman, rather than Weidman overcoming Silva's best effort defense. Still, Weidman won it cleanly, so it's hard not to say that he earned it.

Kermit

Not saying that he didn't earn it, but he was given a gift to take advantage of something that was very rare but also very strange.

JuicedUp

it wasn't rare or strange. Kermit just stop

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

A 38 year old fighter got knocked out. This isn't some huge upset. David Price was a bigger favorite and lost today.

Kermit

So you think that the best fighter in the world dropping his hands and letting his opponent take free shots at him is normal? I know Anderson has done this in the past(against fighters with poor striking and pillow fists) on a few instances when he was trying to instigate action, but he was doing this the whole fight.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    Agreed. The takedown in the 1st round and the subsequent gnp was solid from Weidman, but after that, Anderson was connecting with legs kicks, avoiding takedowns, and generally making progress. Anderson's impatience opened the door up for Weidman, rather than Weidman overcoming Silva's best effort defense. Still, Weidman won it cleanly, so it's hard not to say that he earned it.
    Anderson's TDD improved BECAUSE he dropped his hands. It's a trade-off: drop your striking defence but improve your takedown defence (with underhooks) as well as counter striking. Anderson has been good enough to get away with it because of his superior reflexes, head movement, footwork, speed & reach.

Chris Weidman was underestimated; he was the perfect storm for Anderson. If his wrestling wasn't working it was because his striking started to open up. It wasn't like once Chris couldn't complete a TD the fight was over. Chris's effective striking improved...

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    A 38 year old fighter got knocked out. This isn't some huge upset. David Price was a bigger favorite and lost today.
    It's not so much that he got knocked out, it is what led up to him getting knocked out.

Imsmarterthanu
    Imsmarterthanu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 293

it's called karma and i could feel it coming on as the fight began to get closer first i found a dead spider on the floor then when weidman put up his gloves to touch at the beginning of the fight silva didn't recipricate it reminded me of the cro cop gonzaga fight

Kermit

Anderson's TDD improved BECAUSE he dropped his hands. It's a trade-off: drop your striking defence but improve your takedown defence (with underhooks) as well as counter striking. Anderson has been good enough to get away with it because of his superior reflexes, head movement, footwork, speed & reach.

Chris Weidman was underestimated; he was the perfect storm for Anderson. If his wrestling wasn't working it was because his striking started to open up. It wasn't like once Chris couldn't complete a TD the fight was over. Chris's effective striking improved...
    What led to the knock out was Silva's initial "Oh look, you hit me, I am hurt" showboating. I have seen him showboat, but never do that.

Giroux
    Giroux's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7412

This was nothing out of the ordinary for Silva. Drops his hands. Let his opponents take free shots. No clue why people are surprised by his tactics tonight. Why would he change his pattern at this point? Maybe he reached the point where he achieved all he wanted too, and these fights became house money for him so to speak...but I am clueless as to why anyone is surprised by his style tonight. Nothing new at all....just probably more people bet on him and pissed off at it this time.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    How many fighters that are "The Best" drop their hands and give you the opportunity to hit them? That is kind of what I am saying.
    Umm, the (arguably) GOAT like Roy Jones Jr.

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by Giroux View Post
    This was nothing out of the ordinary for Silva. Drops his hands. Let his opponents take free shots. No clue why people are surprised by his tactics tonight. Why would he change his pattern at this point? Maybe he reached the point where he achieved all he wanted too, and these fights became house money for him so to speak...but I am clueless as to why anyone is surprised by his style tonight. Nothing new at all....just probably more people bet on him and pissed off at it this time.
    He was challenging Weidman from the very start and I have never seen him do that with a guy who actually wanted to fight. And like I said, when has Silva ever played that card where he taunts the guy like he is hurt after he got hit? This whole fight was fukking weird.

I didn't have anyone in this fight, only the under 2.5 rounds. I just couldn't believe hat I witnessed from a professional fighter. I know he's done similar things before, but never to this extent.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass

What led to the knock out was Silva's initial "Oh look, you hit me, I am hurt" showboating. I have seen him showboat, but never do that.
    He brushed his face off and laughed at Bonnar when he punched him in the face. He then voluntarily backed himself against the cage to let Bonnar do it again. That was in his most recent fight. You're not paying close enough attention.

He's cocky. His antics caught up with him. Weidman was the first fighter with 3-tool talent in his physical prime to face Anderson in years & years and he didn't adjust.

Kermit

He brushed his face off and laughed at Bonnar when he punched him in the face. That was in his most recent fight. You're not paying close enough attention.

He's cocky. His antics caught up with him. Weidman was the first fighter with 3-tool talent in his physical prime to face Anderson in years & years and he didn't adjust.
    I am paying very close attention, and those guys have pillow fists. How many guys have Bonnar and Forrest knocked out? Silva knew they were bums as far as striking went.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass

I am paying very close attention, and those guys have pillow fists. How many guys have Bonnar and Forrest knocked out? Silva knew they were bums as far as striking went.
    LOL. So according to you he never showboats like that but then he does, it's just only against older guys? Make up your mind.

Fact: Anderson showboats.
    Fact: Anderson continued to showboat against a much younger, quicker, smarter fighter with longer reach.
    Fact: Anderson got KOed

Anderson underestimated Chris.

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Wanna bets analysis here is essentially exactally my same thoughts.

I'd write an analysis of my own but its late and I don't care enough really,

Anderson fought the exact same way that has dominated people with for the last 7 years. He employed the same tactic against someone with a phenomenal skill set and who was not afraid of him and it failed miserably. He was baiting weidman into striking him so he could counter, and weidman was not having any of it and waited for the perfect moment to knock him the penetrate out.

Watch that hook again, he set it up with a flicker jab, the execution was perfect.

Also, watch how well weidman evaded andersons strikes after anderson was trying to feel him out, it was unreal and silva did not adjust well at all.

Kermit

I am saying that Silva underestimated Weidman BIGTIME which is what is strange because he had to have seen his fights and knew what he was all about when he was preparing.

This is what I found strange about the extreme showboating tonight.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass

I am saying that Silva underestimated Weidman BIGTIME which is what is strange because he had to have seen his fights and knew what he was all about when he was preparing.

This is what I found strange about the extreme showboating tonight.
    Huh? Conventional wisdom was that Chris would get massacred on the feet if he couldn't get it to the ground. The difference in striking between the two was greater than the difference in grappling.

You even pointed out yourself that Chris couldn't take Anderson down after the initial TD/grappling sequence. What the hell does Anderson have to worry about once he's brought the fight into the matrix?

He bought into his own hype. It wasn't strange. It wasn't shocking. It was human nature: a cocky guy got fed humble pie.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

this fight was like a fable, where the point is that mental preparedness and stability are the basic foundations.

might be a memorable fight actually, because the great champion made a basic mistake.

plus he was losing anyway. no idea why he would choose to clown for so long, but other posters could forsee it so it wasn't that far out of the possibility. he chose to clown, it was a fair/legitimate fight and should not be seen as a fluke.

if he did not want to win and wanted to get knocked the f out he certainly succeeded in epic fashion.
    Last edited by face; 07-07-13 at 03:02 AM.

The iron sheik
    The iron sheik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Besides 15 betpoints, I didn't put any on this fight either way, and (a really small) part of that was because this behavior isn't new for Anderson. Didn't bother with a fight that I found hard to think through, and the fond memories of playing Anderson ITD against Maia.

Anderson-Vitor was only three minutes long so I guess it might be the simple fact that Anderson didn't have time to showboat, but he looked like business from start to finish in that fight. None of that with Griffin or any of these other scrubs he's molested over the years, or Weidman. Only he got what he deserved. If we get a RM, I don't think you'll see a lot of that stuff going on.

rocky16
    rocky16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Weidman>Silva. Hope you Silva rejects go fock yourselves.

Catchn_Picks
    Catchn_Picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15716

Silva's comments after the game showed that while he wasn't throwing the fight...he just didn't care too bad if he lost. Heavy is the head that wears the crown...he has his millions...he is 38...his fire is going out...he made a ton off this fight...he now lives in the US ( he repeatedly said) he has his own gym that can be converted to a money center.

He said that he isn't after the belt anymore. AND HE HAD 10 MORE FIGHTS ON HIS CONTRACT. WTF?

It is going to be hard for cappers to figure out this nut job for betting purposes...that's for sure.

He doesn't want a rematch when Weidman offered one???

Puhleeez

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Yeah would rather have seen a aggressive Silva fighting it out...and not sway back Brian Hawk Vs. Takamura Mamoru style and get knocked out! I mean what the shit is that? Hands down...rolling with punches acting like being hurt...oh god why!?

Silva is a lunatic.

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Quote Originally Posted by Catchn_Picks View Post
    Silva's comments after the game showed that while he wasn't throwing the fight...he just didn't care too bad if he lost. Heavy is the head that wears the crown...he has his millions...he is 38...his fire is going out...he made a ton off this fight...he now lives in the US ( he repeatedly said) he has his own gym that can be converted to a money center.

He said that he isn't after the belt anymore. AND HE HAD 10 MORE FIGHTS ON HIS CONTRACT. WTF?

It is going to be hard for cappers to figure out this nut job for betting purposes...that's for sure.

He doesn't want a rematch when Weidman offered one???

Puhleeez
    I actually think this is the smartest thing anyone said in this thread.

If you consider his actions in the ring, despite his past propensity to be a moron inside the ring even, and his words after the fight...

I'm not a fight fan much anymore and didn't even watch the fight last night, but when you look at the replay, consider his past antics in the ring, listen to his words after the fight...VERY CLEAR to me he used his showboating on purpose to dethrone HIMSELF.

I think he had a decent intention of actually losing that fight last night before he entered the octagon. He said it himself, the fire is gone...he had to "adjust his family" for this fight, and he just looks tired of this routine. Doesn't even want the belt anymore??

Sounds like he's mentally roached if you ask me, and he used his antics as a way out.

Grabaka
    Update your status
    Grabaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4034

Anderson doesnt know how to lose....sure he was saying stuff to try to save face. His ego was hurt badly. Hes weird to begin with and putting him on the spot of course hes gonna say stupid shit and try to save some face. Hes just not good at it.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass

A chick beat me at arm wrestling when I was 12. She was 8. I told her "pfft, I wasn't even trying"... My friend said "then let's have a rematch; try this time", then I shrewdly said that I would but I had to go home to my family.

Grabaka
    Update your status
    Grabaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4034

A chick beat me at arm wrestling when I was 12. She was 8. I told her "pfft, I wasn't even trying"... My friend said "then let's have a rematch; try this time", then I shrewdly said that I would but I had to go home to my family.
    Let it go bro.....she was a bitch.

aaaaa i get it now.....yeah you know whats up