Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Hahhaahhahhazhhz

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Oh pal!

Weidman is as prepared as a fightah can be. The guy had infiite amounts of time to study Silva and prepare. No short notice bullshit. Factor in his motivation and age...

I will keep these people in mind that picked the winner...these guys are deluxe cappers.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/6/27...nnen-henderson

"So how does a fighter take Anderson Silva down? As you have found out, it is much more complicated that simply having a good double leg shot. The answer is a fighter needs to be very good at mixing together and switching between striking and takedowns. The greatest failures to take Silva down, such as the Maia fight, were not the result of poor takedowns, but poor setting up of takedowns.
    To take Silva down effectively one must first strike with Silva. It is possible to get Silva to set his careful and tactical striking aside and to get him to just swing away."

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I'm shocked I have to say this, but I don't think anyone in their right mind is claiming that Weidman is a better striker than Silva.

That said, you're wrong about how he can win. If he doesn't use his strikes to set up his shots, he won't be able to take Anderson down consistently. Sonnen was able to take Anderson down in their first fight because he had no respect for Anderson's stand up, and repeatedly exchanged with him aggressively on the feet. No wrestler can beat Anderson Silva with any degree of regularity, I believe that whole-heartedly. A much larger, 205 lbs version of Jordan Burroughs couldn't beat Anderson Silva, and the reason for this is that shooting for double legs with no set up simply cannot work against a guy with Silva's mastery of distance and timing unless he makes some significant mistakes. It will take a true mixed martial artist to defeat Anderson. If Weidman beats Silva, there's a good chance he'll get the better of Silva on the feet at least a few times. He won't be taking Silva down by just shooting over and over again, and that's not Weidman's game, anyway. He almost always sets up his shots, the Munoz fight and Maia fights are great proof of that.
    Should have just hired MD.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

...and this is the highest skill-level fight in the history of MMA.

The last guy who Anderson fought who could be considered a top striker was Vitor, and he's technically lacking but makes up for it with his freakish physical gifts. Franklin is the best technical striker Anderson has fought to this point, and Weidman is probably a bit less technical than Franklin (although he'll clearly be better in his next fight than we've ever seen him before), but he has every physical gift you could ask for in a striker. He's longer than Anderson, stronger than pretty much anyone in the division, and deceptively fast. His biggest gift by far is his fight IQ. If you want to understand why Weidman is such a good prospect, watch his fights and ask yourself why he's doing what he's doing. Almost everything he does is calculated and he rarely deviates from his game plan. He's really a freak, and nine fights or not, he's one of the most talented people ever to compete in MMA. There's never been a fight in the history of the sport with two guys as skilled as Weidman and Silva are.

The same guy that got tagged by alessio sakara and slimly outpointed maia on the feet is comparable to vitor belfot? Thats a little crazy.

if that is what your saying that is..imo vitor is much more dangerous on the feet than weidman.
    Last edited by mmaed; 06-27-13 at 08:41 PM.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
    The same guy that got tagged by alessio sakara and slimy outpointed maia on the feet is comparable to vitor belfot? Thats a little crazy.
    No, of course he's not comparable to Vitor Belfort.

He's better than Vitor Belfort.

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

The same guy that got tagged by alessio sakara and slimy outpointed maia on the feet is comparable to vitor belfot? Thats a little crazy.
    Just wondering, you ever had to cut 30 lbs in 9 days and fight arguably one of the best bjj practitioners in mma with no training camp?

Ever had to fight someone on less than 2 weeks notice, again, without training camp, with fractured ribs?

I had a broken rid once, any idea how hard it is to breathe?

Just wonderin...

Not saying this is an easy fight for chris, it absolutely is not, but he is being hugely underestimated.

mmaed

No i haven't. Have you? I'm aware its a handicap. It doesnt change the fact that weidman is no vitor belfort standing.

mmaed

No, of course he's not comparable to Vitor Belfort.

He's better than Vitor Belfort.
    Just to clarify here. You think he is a better striker than vitor belfort?

MD

Just to clarify here. You think he is a better striker than vitor belfort?
    Yes. Certainly not as dangerous, very few people are as dangerous as Vitor, but he's more technical for sure.

mmaed

Alright, thats a little more reasonable. I dont know if his technique is better, vitor has pulled off some impressive moves. That spinning heel kick on rockhold. Knocking out bisping. Bisping is an excellent fighter and his striking technique is excellent.

Sacrelicious

Alright, thats a little more reasonable. I dont know if his technique is better, vitor has pulled off some impressive moves. That spinning heel kick on rockhold. Knocking out bisping. Bisping is an excellent fighter and his striking technique is excellent.
    Vitor is not, in my opinion, a technical striker. He is a freak athlete that bewilders people with his movement and plays a massive intimidation game. He has ridiculous power and when he sees an opening, he strikes.

Both Bisping and Rockhold are, depending on your definition, better "technical strikers", does not mean that they have are more effective in the cage though.

Rockhold looked like he was going to piss himself 30 seconds into that fight.

MD

I'm not really in the mood to defend Weidman's striking or bash Vitor's striking (I've had like a thousand debates on SBR about Vitor's striking - some think he's a God, I don't), but if you want my opinion, it's that Bisping has a lot of holes in his defence that Vitor exploited, and his headkick knockout of Bisping was far more impressive than his knockout of Rockhold. Rockhold was walking around with his hands down and moving straight into Belfort's shots, he may as well have been throwing it at a target dummy. Bisping on the other hand has a habbit of abandoning his defence when he's trying to change levels; Vitor used that to his advantage and it was probably the most impressive KO he's had in years, if not ever. Most of his knockouts don't come from good technique or fight IQ, that one did. The Rockhold one didn't, either, as flashy as it was. It said more about Rockhold than it did about Vitor.

mmaed

I guess i see your point but i feel he has to possess a reasonable amount of technique to land shots the way that he does.

mmaed

The power comes from the mo hawk. IMO.

MD

I guess i see your point but i feel he has to possess a reasonable amount of technique to land shots the way that he does.
    Kind of. He's changed his style a lot in recent years, and it's benefiting him a lot. He's always had pretty good timing, and pretty bad cardio, so he's started counter-punching more than being the aggressor. This is less taxing on him, and allows him to get away with technical mistakes that would otherwise cost him. His technique isn't great, but he's adjusted to that. I was on Rockhold, and after seeing the Belfort fight, I wasn't surprised that Belfort won, as he can KO almost anyone, but the one area in which I felt that I had gravely underestimated Vitor was his fight IQ.

mmaed

Kind of. He's changed his style a lot in recent years, and it's benefiting him a lot. He's always had pretty good timing, and pretty bad cardio, so he's started counter-punching more than being the aggressor. This is less taxing on him, and allows him to get away with technical mistakes that would otherwise cost him. His technique isn't great, but he's adjusted to that. I was on Rockhold, and after seeing the Belfort fight, I wasn't surprised that Belfort won, as he can KO almost anyone, but the one area in which I felt that I had gravely underestimated Vitor was his fight IQ.

Yesh i dont blame you for takng rockhold. A lot of people did. Something sbout vitor..i think he is maturing now. He is not some roided up 25 year old anymore. The way i hear him speak in interviews really makes me think he has passed a milestone personally. Of course he is still on roids and that helps a lot.

MD

Sometimes I have wet dreams about him fighting Anderson again and getting Anderson at less than -300.

mmaed

Lol good luck. I happen to think vitor would do much better the second time around.

Sacrelicious

Lol good luck. I happen to think vitor would do much better the second time around.
    Anderson silva plays vitor's movement and intimidation game with the skills and technique to back it up. Silva -500, unless he shows obvious signs of aging.

goodfellas433
    goodfellas433's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2549

I am annoyed at how much I respect this guys input and analysis.

It's like when you have a favorite fighter and it makes you feel sick when the time comes that you know you should be betting against them.

Irritating. Like when your local sports team let's your wide receiver go, your tight end needs multiple surgeries in the off season, while your other tight end murders people....

Thanks for letting me vent.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post
    Anderson silva plays vitor's movement and intimidation game with the skills and technique to back it up. Silva -500, unless he shows obvious signs of aging.
    Silva -500 is being generous to Vitor in my opinion. I'd pound that line.

Sacrelicious

Silva -500 is being generous to Vitor in my opinion. I'd pound that line.
    Ditto, but nelson -240 was being generous to him, I made an error of pounding that line.

If vitor knocks out a bad style matchup again, -500 might be pessimistic.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post
    Ditto, but nelson -240 was being generous to him, I made an error of pounding that line.

If vitor knocks out a bad style matchup again, -500 might be pessimistic.
    Happens to the best of us. I backed Mein at like -300 against Matt Brown, despite really liking Brown when I first heard the fight announced. I underestimated Brown's fight IQ, a pattern in most of my big losses.

Sacrelicious

Happens to the best of us. I backed Mein at like -300 against Matt Brown, despite really liking Brown when I first heard the fight announced. I underestimated Brown's fight IQ, a pattern in most of my big losses.
    It does happen, my friend. We may take our solace in the following:

Machida -400

gsp -240

Lol!

mmaed

Yesh i had mein for bout five units. It killed an otherwise fantastic night. In fact i had over five units and my units are 300 bucks each. Mein did come close to finishing it with body shots though.

MD

GSP hedged with Hendricks Wins KO of the Night will make you money 99% of the time. At least.

mmaed

I see georges taking that fight. I think hendricks will have trouble landing on him.

MD

By the way, you guys should watch the footage of Uriah Hall vs Chris Weidman. That fight says a lot.

Even then, Hall was a very effective striker, although his grappling wasn't as good as it is now. Weidman used his grappling to make Hall drop his hands then abused him on the feet and knocked him out with a hook straight to the chin. He could conceivably do the same to Anderson, but I find it unlikely that he stops Anderson with strikes. The fact of the matter is that he mixes his striking and his grappling together as well as guys like GSP, which he'll need to rely on to beat Silva. No one is stopping Anderson through pure wrestling.

Sacrelicious

GSP hedged with Hendricks Wins KO of the Night will make you money 99% of the time. At least.
    There is wisdom here.

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

By the way, you guys should watch the footage of Uriah Hall vs Chris Weidman. That fight says a lot.

Even then, Hall was a very effective striker, although his grappling wasn't as good as it is now. Weidman used his grappling to make Hall drop his hands then abused him on the feet and knocked him out with a hook straight to the chin. He could conceivably do the same to Anderson, but I find it unlikely that he stops Anderson with strikes. The fact of the matter is that he mixes his striking and his grappling together as well as guys like GSP, which he'll need to rely on to beat Silva. No one is stopping Anderson through pure wrestling.
    I concur.
    People forget that he stuffed Chaels takedowns with his bruised ribs.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

You were right MD, nice bet. Weidman is the best striker Silva fought.

Silva's arrogance like he did against Maia costed him.

jizay
    Update your status
    jizay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    You were right MD, nice bet. Weidman is the best striker Silva fought.
    Wow, is that really what people are gonna take away from this? His striking looked pretty bad; he has some serious holes there.

brokenbrain
    brokenbrain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

Agreed, he got lucky - he looked slow and lost.

oldscho0led
    home dogs
    oldscho0led's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5503

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    Wow, is that really what people are gonna take away from this? His striking looked pretty bad; he has some serious holes there.
    I don't see Weidman holding this belt for a long time. Weidman should be an EXPERT on either stand-up or ground game for him to be undisputed.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

This shit was goofy.

First 1234 Last