PunisherIND
    myles jewry
    PunisherIND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9625

ufc on fx 8: belfort vs rockhold (5.18.13)

Venue: Arena Jaragua
    Broadcast: FX, FUEL TV, Facebook

MAIN CARD (FX, 9 p.m. ET)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FUEL TV, 6 p.m. ET)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 4:30 p.m. ET)

Crassus
    Crassus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1058

Rockhold at -109 that sounds like a 4 or 5 unit bet to me!

Ron_Paul_2012
    Ron_Paul_2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3985

Off the top of my head my picks are the following: Martins, Cariaso, Tibau, Maldonado, Gashimov, Thiago, Alcantara, Trinaldo, Diaz, Dos Anjos, Camozzi, Souza, Belfort.

getlucky2win
    faded
    getlucky2win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

vitor goin2 be roided up again

Grabaka
    Update your status
    Grabaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4034

Quote Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
    Rockhold at -109 that sounds like a 4 or 5 unit bet to me!
    Si señor!

Dwil125
    Cormier Itd
    Dwil125's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

rockhold straight, with vitor kotn or itd? I'm curious to see what the line on fabio/hollet also..

The iron sheik
    The iron sheik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Belfort straight up for me, might also play some Jacare prop if there's anything good

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

I'm surprised Paulo Thiago hasn't been cut, losing 4 out of his last 5 fights.

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Waiting to see if Vitor is ungodly jacked up at weigh ins before I bet....

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

rockholdeeznuts

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post
    I'm surprised Paulo Thiago hasn't been cut, losing 4 out of his last 5 fights.
    they cant cut a member of BOPE

The iron sheik

What are the odds off Rogan ranting about Thiago and how this is like a day off for him from shooting drug lords and shit like that?
    -900?

Dwil125
    Cormier Itd

any leans on cariaso/formiga?

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Quote Originally Posted by The iron sheik View Post
    What are the odds off Rogan ranting about Thiago and how this is like a day off for him from shooting drug lords and shit like that?
    -900?
    lmfao

man, i can't wait for this card.

eligibletackle
    eligibletackle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1656

i must've missed something when watching rockhold fight. outside of matches vs the top 2 p4p guys, vitor has looked nothing short of indestructible. dog odds and in brazil? vs a guy who barely won a striking exchange vs Jacare? what i'll give to rockhold is that i'll never count out AKA fighters on improving when not fighting on the reg (cain's layoff between nog and brock, thompson's flat performance vs Gil 2 & healy to gil 3 & nate, cormier, etc).it's been an elite crew that have shut down vitor since his return to the UFC, i don't see rockhold in that group. a bisping-esque striking performance where LR takes rds 3-5 seems like his best way to win, no? i must be missing something - better watch tape

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by eligibletackle View Post
    i must've missed something when watching rockhold fight. outside of matches vs the top 2 p4p guys, vitor has looked nothing short of indestructible. dog odds and in brazil? vs a guy who barely won a striking exchange vs Jacare? what i'll give to rockhold is that i'll never count out AKA fighters on improving when not fighting on the reg (cain's layoff between nog and brock, thompson's flat performance vs Gil 2 & healy to gil 3 & nate, cormier, etc).it's been an elite crew that have shut down vitor since his return to the UFC, i don't see rockhold in that group. a bisping-esque striking performance where LR takes rds 3-5 seems like his best way to win, no? i must be missing something - better watch tape
    MMA has largely passed Vitor by, and his style simply isn't good enough any more. Yes, he knocked out Bisping, but his only way to win that fight was an early knockout, and that will likely be the trend in his fights for the rest of his career. He's an average or poor boxer with good BJJ who stands upright and swings hooks until he gets a KO. It can work against a guy as hittable as Rockhold, but Rockhold simply has too many ways to win this fight. Bisping could only really lose in the first two rounds, losing a decision was out of the question for him. The same applies to Rockhold.

The iron sheik

Belfort arguably took round one from Bisping in a fight that ended in round two, so I don't really see why you think it's so improbable that Belfort would win a decision. Not like he has gas issues that big.

edit: perhaps a five round fight like Rockhold-Belfort is, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous to imply Belfort has to KO someone in a three round fight to win, like Bisping

Rubber Guard
    Rubber Guard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5152

I'm not saying Vitor clearly wins. And I have been semi-impressed with Rockhold. He knows how to accumulate strikes, has good cardio, has a good ground game. But he hasn't beat anyone like Vitor. He has one relevant win in his career vs. Jacre in a close fight. Vitor on the other hand gave Bones trouble from bottom, head kick KO'd Bisping. Basically has ran through everyone in the last 6 years besides Bones and Anderson. I don't see how Rockhold as the favorite is a good bet? He has 1 good win. He has almost been on the shelf a year. His UFC debut. This is in Brazil. What does he have going for him? His only way of winning really is out-striking a dangerous opponent for 5 rounds using a variety of strikes. I see no value in that as the favorite.

mirinquads
    Eat my enormous ballsack boys
    mirinquads's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7742

Bisping was fighting scared that fight, and let Vitor time him, which was predictable as Bisping always needs a warmup round, and Vitor comes out hot every fight except against the GOAT. That fight was easy money. Though Im not sure I want to lay money against a juiced up dinosaur like Vitor.

Thoughts on Jacare vs Philippou? I feel like Jacare is going to completely truck him, Philippou's take down defense is overrated as penetrate, Botech was pushing him up against the cage and taking him down at will, before all the hand breaking, headbutting and nut kicking, he was loosing that handily. The much more athletic and techincally superior Jacare should be able to do that with ease and get the sub. I think he could even beat him in the standup with the takedown threat, but I gotta watch some tape on that.

MD

Belfort arguably took round one from Bisping in a fight that ended in round two, so I don't really see why you think it's so improbable that Belfort would win a decision. Not like he has gas issues that big.

edit: perhaps a five round fight like Rockhold-Belfort is, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous to imply Belfort has to KO someone in a three round fight to win, like Bisping
    Bisping/Belfort was a five-round fight dude.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Guard View Post
    I'm not saying Vitor clearly wins. And I have been semi-impressed with Rockhold. He knows how to accumulate strikes, has good cardio, has a good ground game. But he hasn't beat anyone like Vitor. He has one relevant win in his career vs. Jacre in a close fight. Vitor on the other hand gave Bones trouble from bottom, head kick KO'd Bisping. Basically has ran through everyone in the last 6 years besides Bones and Anderson. I don't see how Rockhold as the favorite is a good bet? He has 1 good win. He has almost been on the shelf a year. His UFC debut. This is in Brazil. What does he have going for him? His only way of winning really is out-striking a dangerous opponent for 5 rounds using a variety of strikes. I see no value in that as the favorite.
    I thought Tim Kennedy was an outstanding win to be honest. I'd favour Kennedy over Belfort, he's a superb fighter.

The iron sheik

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Bisping/Belfort was a five-round fight dude.
    Regardless, the point still stands. I can understand the appeal in betting Rockhold and all, but essentially you're saying a fighter who hasn't lost a round to anyone named Jones in what, 7 years (?) can't win a decision. It's ridiculous.

I wonder which is it, I wonder are you making an argument Belfort needs the KO to win because he isn't winning rounds, or is it that he needs a KO because he doesn't have the cardio to go 5 rounds. Whichever it is, it's pretty unfounded.

Rubber Guard

I thought Tim Kennedy was an outstanding win to be honest. I'd favour Kennedy over Belfort, he's a superb fighter.
    Tim has heart and some cardio. He is a tough SOB. But he brings very limited skills. He isn't that good in any one area. He went all 5 because he is tough and Rockhold isn't exactly a finisher (yes he has a lot of finishes vs. lower level guys). But other than staying in there he has very little to offer. I expect Roger Gracie to beat him with a jab and BJJ style TDs. Kennedy I guess is a wrestler.. A very average smart wrestler. I guess I shouldn't say Rockhold has 1 relevant win; Tim is relevant. But in my opinion he won't be anything more than a 15-20th best MW in the UFC. Tim has little to no ways of beating a guy like Rockhold. Vitor has a decent base, BJJ, and at least hands and speed to hurt Rockhold in an exchange.

MD

Regardless, the point still stands. I can understand the appeal in betting Rockhold and all, but essentially you're saying a fighter who hasn't lost a round to anyone named Jones in what, 7 years (?) can't win a decision. It's ridiculous.

I wonder which is it, I wonder are you making an argument Belfort needs the KO to win because he isn't winning rounds, or is it that he needs a KO because he doesn't have the cardio to go 5 rounds. Whichever it is, it's pretty unfounded.
    Vitor is notorious for wilting. There are some valid arguments for Vitor winning, but claiming it's unfounded to say he doesn't have the cardio to go five rounds is silly, considering he gassed horribly and basically quit against Jones when he went over three rounds.

That's something people seem to say a lot; Belfort hasn't lost to anyone except Anderson and Jones since coming back to the UFC. Who has he beaten? Past-his-prime Franklin and Michael Bisping. Rockhold's recent wins are better than Belfort's recent wins.

It's a horrible stylistic match-up for Belfort, I really don't see why the line is so close. Belfort can get the KO because Rockhold is hittable and his chin isn't the best, but I 'cap Rockhold at around -265 here.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Guard View Post
    Tim has heart and some cardio. He is a tough SOB. But he brings very limited skills. He isn't that good in any one area. He went all 5 because he is tough and Rockhold isn't exactly a finisher (yes he has a lot of finishes vs. lower level guys). But other than staying in there he has very little to offer. I expect Roger Gracie to beat him with a jab and BJJ style TDs. Kennedy I guess is a wrestler.. A very average smart wrestler. I guess I shouldn't say Rockhold has 1 relevant win; Tim is relevant. But in my opinion he won't be anything more than a 15-20th best MW in the UFC. Tim has little to no ways of beating a guy like Rockhold. Vitor has a decent base, BJJ, and at least hands and speed to hurt Rockhold in an exchange.
    I dunno man, gonna have to disagree with you heavily here. I'd consider Kennedy to be a better striker than Belfort, considering his boxing is almost as good and he also has kicks, and his wrestling is very good. A bit undersized for the division, but I think only the elite will beat him convincingly. He can give a lot of problems to a lot of top ten guys.

Rubber Guard

Vitor is notorious for wilting. There are some valid arguments for Vitor winning, but claiming it's unfounded to say he doesn't have the cardio to go five rounds is silly, considering he gassed horribly and basically quit against Jones when he went over three rounds.

That's something people seem to say a lot; Belfort hasn't lost to anyone except Anderson and Jones since coming back to the UFC. Who has he beaten? Past-his-prime Franklin and Michael Bisping. Rockhold's recent wins are better than Belfort's recent wins.

It's a horrible stylistic match-up for Belfort, I really don't see why the line is so close. Belfort can get the KO because Rockhold is hittable and his chin isn't the best, but I 'cap Rockhold at around -265 here.
    Not saying Vitor has cardio. But 3 rounds with Bones, the biggest LHW on top of you, defending elbows and everything else....is a tad different than striking with Rockhold. Vitor doesn't have 5 good rounds in him. But I think he has 3. I do think he should have stayed at 205 at this point of his career though.

The iron sheik

I'd hardly call losing three rounds to a clearly better opponent and losing by submission in the fourth as "wilting". Besides that, I guess you have to go to the orient to find examples of that happening.

MMA math isn't very wise, but when it comes to valuing people for the opposition they've beaten, Bisping certainly has more value than Tim Kennedy. Jacare is an excellent trophy, I'll give you that.

Ron_Paul_2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
    Off the top of my head my picks are the following: Martins, Cariaso, Tibau, Maldonado, Gashimov, Thiago, Alcantara, Trinaldo, Diaz, Dos Anjos, Camozzi, Souza, Belfort.
    Change Diaz to Lentz.

Ron_Paul_2012

MMA has largely passed Vitor by, and his style simply isn't good enough any more. Yes, he knocked out Bisping, but his only way to win that fight was an early knockout, and that will likely be the trend in his fights for the rest of his career. He's an average or poor boxer with good BJJ who stands upright and swings hooks until he gets a KO. It can work against a guy as hittable as Rockhold, but Rockhold simply has too many ways to win this fight. Bisping could only really lose in the first two rounds, losing a decision was out of the question for him. The same applies to Rockhold.
    Vitor on TRT and in Brazil = I'm not touching this fight with a 10 ft. pole. I'm sitting this one out.

MD

I'd hardly call losing three rounds to a clearly better opponent and losing by submission in the fourth as "wilting". Besides that, I guess you have to go to the orient to find examples of that happening.

MMA math isn't very wise, but when it comes to valuing people for the opposition they've beaten, Bisping certainly has more value than Tim Kennedy. Jacare is an excellent trophy, I'll give you that.
    You and I have two different definitions of "wilting" if you think he didn't wilt in that fight, but that's fine.

What are the biggest weaknesses Vitor has displayed on the feet? What's he had issues with his entire career?

Kpn
    Kpn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
    Vitor on TRT and in Brazil = I'm not touching this fight with a 10 ft. pole. I'm sitting this one out.
    Yeah I think my play will be Luke straight up with a hedge of Belfort to finish, but since it's not in Nevada and Vitor might be juicing in his hometown where he's a king, makes me a bit hesitant.

Dwil125
    Cormier Itd

Quote Originally Posted by Kpn View Post
    Yeah I think my play will be Luke straight up with a hedge of Belfort to finish, but since it's not in Nevada and Vitor might be juicing in his hometown where he's a king, makes me a bit hesitant.
    Looks like everyones making this play, I'm wondering if Kotn will be offered. I dont think Vitor Itd will open at a good number..

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

Vitor will be frustrated by rockholds kicking game and length, combined with his high output and pace
    Vitor has been baby'd by the ufc...he either gets a very winnable fight, or a fight against a champ which doesn't ruin his rep if he loses. I think vitor was never that good, he wilts.

Look at how sakuraba was able to frustrate him with kciks. Tell me rockhold can't do that

MD

You and I have two different definitions of "wilting" if you think he didn't wilt in that fight, but that's fine.

What are the biggest weaknesses Vitor has displayed on the feet? What's he had issues with his entire career?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Vitor will be frustrated by rockholds kicking game and length, combined with his high output and pace
    Vitor has been baby'd by the ufc...he either gets a very winnable fight, or a fight against a champ which doesn't ruin his rep if he loses. I think vitor was never that good, he wilts.

Look at how sakuraba was able to frustrate him with kciks. Tell me rockhold can't do that
    <3

Exactly.

mirinquads
    Eat my enormous ballsack boys
    mirinquads's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7742

Probs for the fx 8 is out on 5 dimes. Rockhold dec at +300.

1234 ... Last