Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Alex Cacares -700 is a LOCK

This is not a cooking thread for the UFC forum, I tried to post one of those here and it got salooned and is about to be overrun by degenerates. This is strictly a UFC/MMA/Boxing gambling thread.

ALEX CACARES -700 IS THE LOCK OF THE CENTURY.

As requested by MD - "Croque Monsier" recipe, my favorite sandwich.

First step is to prepare a Bechamel sauce, its actually very easy.

Bechamel sauce is one of the 5 french mother sauces, and arguably the easiest to make, here is what you need:

Butter
    Flour
    Whole Milk
    Onion
    Clove
    Bay
    Nutmeg
    Salt and Pepper (If you are making this for personal use, use black pepper, personally I think white pepper tastes like a barnyard, its necessary in a restaurant setting for "presentation purposes", but really, it tastes like garbage)

So theres two steps here, what you want to do is use a pot to bring your milk up to heat. The ratio of milk:roux in this sauce is about 4 ox roux:1L milk. Lets assume we are making a 0.5 litre portion, throw in half an onion into the pot chopped roughly, a bay leaf, 2 cloves, and a small amount of ground nutmeg, maybe a couple peppercorns. Gently bring it up to heat, dont bring it up to a simmer, as milk scalds easily. One tip I learned in school was to rinse the pot out in water, dump the water, but do not wipe out the bottom of the pot prior to adding the milk. It sounds illogical, but it actually provides a sort of barrier for scalding.

Next, make a white roux. White roux is a combination of equal parts butter and flour. You are going to melt the butter in a sauce pan, and add the flour to it, and gently cook the flour into the butter while stirring. You do not want to cook it very long though, if it starts to turn yellow it becomes what is known as a "blonde roux", this is not what we want for this sauce. Just cook it until it incorporates the flour into the butter and kind of thickens up a bit, then you want to remove the pan from the heat. The reason for this is that you want your roux to cool for a moment before adding your milk base, the difference in temperature prevents the roux from clumping in your sauce. In any case, return the pan to heat and slowly add your milk base along with the flavoring ingredients while stiring constantly to combine the roux with the milk base. Add one ladle and stir until smooth, add another, etc. You want to bring this to a low to moderate simmer.

Roux does not actually activate its thickening power until it simmers for a few moments, so while combining the two it may just look like liquid, but it will actually thicken. You want the consistency of a reduced cream sauce, if its too thick, you can add more milk (or cream, but I'll get to that later), if its too thin, what you can do is whip up a buerre manier (literally, kneeded together raw butter and flower until its incorporated, kneed the shit out of this stuff) and add it in small pieces to the sauce, again, letting it simmer and waiting until it thickens. Once you have the correct consistency, set it to a very, very low simmer and let the flavors all mix while stirring occasionally to prevent burning on the bottom of the pan. Season with S&P.

Personally, I like to add a bit more roux to my sauce, and then once it simmers add some cream for extra body. The clove and nutmeg are essential, use fresh nutmeg if possible and just shred it over a microplaner or fine grater and add it. You do not want the sauce to taste like either nutmeg or clove, you just want a tiny bit in the background to add a bit of depth to the sauce, or else it just tastes like reduced cream. When the sauce is finished, remove it from the heat, and swirl in a small pad of butter until it incorporates into the sace.

As for the actual sandwich, the preparation is not difficult at all:

Take some slices of a nice french loaf, lightly butter, and toast in the oven. Pull them out, spread some excellent dijon or spicy mustard on them, and fill with black forest (or any other kind, to be honest) thinly sliced ham, and gruyere cheese. Close the sandwich, spoon the bechamel sauce on top of the sandwich, and top with grated gruyere and, if you have it, either pedano or regganio parmesan, return to the oven, toast until the cheese is melted and then turn on the broiler for about a minute to lightly brown the sauce and cheese on top of the sandwich.

You are now in posession of literally the best sandwich on the planet.

If you want to step it up a notch, fry a sunny side up or over easy egg and throw it on top, you now have a croque madame, also an elite sandwich.

Enjoy the shit out of that, its penetrating gold.

Softban system:

Explanation: Those who are "softbanned" from the thread will be completely and utterly ignored. Despite thier interruptions, for all intents and purposes, they do not exist in this conversation. Should you take it upon yourself to reply to them, you will be softbanned.

Addendum: If you attempt to "defend" posters against the expected spam of the softbanned, you will also be softbanned. Should two pages be spammed with inults, ignore them. Trolling? Ignore it, or fear the softban.

SOFTBAN LIST:

Pouyasophy

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

I parlayd gsp with whole milk dude

getlucky2win
    faded
    getlucky2win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

lol. that caceres line will be -1000 in no time. I luv the softban system and I will be trying that recipe

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by getlucky2win View Post
    I luv the softban system
    When I am dead, it will be my legacy on SBR. That, and winnerz.

Guys, anyone got a good recipe for burgers?

Sacrelicious

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post

Yup, I nice my burgers nice and simple, but there is a trick. What you want to get is 3mm ground chuck roast, or a combination of chick roast and prime rib. Ask your butcher for this, they will be able to make it for you, also, make sure you are not getting lean beef, fat content is an absolute must.

All you need for the recipe is some extremely finely chopped red onion, I can not stress the fact enough that i needs to be as fine as possible, some black pepper, kosher salt and a bottle of high quality carbinated mineral water.

Throw your beef into a bowl and immediately start working and kneeding it, do this for SEVERAL MINUTES, until your hands are literally starting to get sore. If you do not work the living shit out of the beef this method does not work. Add your kosher salt, pepper, and onion (you can use shallot as well if you perfer), and optionally some garlic powder or any other seasoning if thats your preference. Then, heres the kicker, add a tiny splash of the mineral water and work it into the meat very very thoroughly, then add another small splash, work it in, etc etc. You do not want to end up with a wet product, so do not overdo it with the water, but provided you work your meat well enough the mineral water actually acts as a binding agent and will flavor the finished product and give it an excellent finish. I can not overstate how important it is to work the living hell out of your meat, and add the mineral water slowly.

To give you an idea of the ratio for meat:water, for 5 pounds of meat, you'd probably want to use about 300 ml of mineral water, but its really a "feel" thing.

Once the mineral water is worked into your burger, you want to make a tight skin over the meat with saran wrap, and refridgerate for a half hour. Once this is done, you can make your patties, they'll bind together perfectly, and the meat is very easy to work. If you find them falling apart at all on the grill as they cook, it is due to the meat not being worked together thoroughly enough.

When it comes to burgers, I like the actual patty itself to be as plain as possible, just high quality seasoned meat. I've seen people make them with breadcrumbs, or eggs, or dijon mustard and mayo, and it makes me go

Boxscout
    Update your status
    Boxscout's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post

Throw your beef into a bowl and immediately start working and kneeding it,

I mentioned this before your other thread was sent to the ghetto, but, though I can't make one myself, I checked with a BOOKMAKER here in Vegas called Bouchon. They have the holy sandwich (with the egg) and I am going to POUND it. I'm not sure there is much value with the line at -18.00 but it looks like a lock so I'll just parlay it with some bread pudding at -9.50. It comes with fries so that's a little frite roll to bring additional value.
    Points Awarded:

Sacrelicious gave Boxscout 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Sacrelicious

Lots of value in that play, sounds like a very square Bookmaker.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Sharp money coming in on Bruce Leeroy

Sacrelicious

Oh also, on that subject. One of the reasons burgers must be well done is they arrive with pre packaged ground beef, are made from multiple animals and multiple parts, etc. I reccomend going to a good butcher, getting him to grind a whole beef chuck in front of you, and doing some mid-rare burgers.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Here is, I think, the trick to good burgers. 4 ingredients.

1) Grass Fed Beef
    2) Salt
    3) Pepper
    4) A Shitload of Parsley

Parsley just makes it perfect, IMO. Mash it up into the burger really well. I probably use 2/3rds of a cup per pound of ground beef.

Serve with real aioli (sorry, chef) and Jalapeno slices.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

As requested by MD - "Croque Monsier" recipe, my favorite sandwich.
    A restaurant I frequent serves wonderful Croque Monsieur's, used to love them.

Worst Croque Monsiuer I ever had was at a cafe in Paris, after hyping up to the future Mrs. Nunya how wonderful they were, I swear it was just a piece of toast with cheese melted on it. Dunno, maybe I got the 'stupid American' special.

Sacrelicious

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Here is, I think, the trick to good burgers. 4 ingredients.

1) Grass Fed Beef
    2) Salt
    3) Pepper
    4) A Shitload of Parsley

Parsley just makes it perfect, IMO. Mash it up into the burger really well. I probably use 2/3rds of a cup per pound of ground beef.

Serve with real aioli (sorry, chef) and Jalapeno slices.
    Haha, no need to apologize, aioli is the way to go, particularly a good dijon aioli. Also, do not forget about some excellent pickle slices to go with the jalaps.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Haha, no need to apologize, aioli is the way to go, particularly a good dijon aioli. Also, do not forget about some excellent pickle slices to go with the jalaps.
    No, seriously penetrate that. Nothing ruins a burger like a pickle, IMO. Especially if it gets a chance to get all hot and slimy. Literally the worst flavor on earth, is a hot slimy pickle in steaming hot ketchup in a burger. Could gag just thinking about it.

Sacrelicious

I fockin love pickles...

Sacrelicious

But I agree with you that ketchup is a crime against humanity.

Boxscout
    Update your status
    Boxscout's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree. One of the only food making things I know how to do well is make pickles. And pickled eggs, which are goddamned awesome.

I'm also generally anti-ketchup, but I recently had a really good version at Gordon Ramsay's burger place. It's curry flavored ketchup. I wanted to hate it, because I hate him. And it was ketchup. But it couldn't be hated.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

No, seriously penetrate that. Nothing ruins a burger like a pickle, IMO. Especially if it gets a chance to get all hot and slimy. Literally the worst flavor on earth, is a hot slimy pickle in steaming hot ketchup in a burger. Could gag just thinking about it.
    Couldnt agree more

I dislike gurkins on mcdonalds burgers as well. Not tht I eat them anymore

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

haha I have to have tomato ketchup on everything (unless gravy is involved!). But I'm not cultured, I have no ballz, and I'm an uneducated fooool!

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Sharp money coming in on Bruce Leeroy
    lol

Grabaka
    Update your status
    Grabaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4034

Beans on a toast with Ketchup?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

ha actually no, even I dont do that. My older brother tho does pile it on literally anything! I've seen him put ketchup on a roast dinner with gravy before

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

I should probably be soft-banned for being such an uneducated fool in culinary culture!

Grabaka
    Update your status
    Grabaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4034

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    I should probably be soft-banned for being such an uneducated fool in culinary culture!
    No man! Please stay and learn something. Sacro can be in your corner.

getlucky2win
    faded
    getlucky2win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

Especially if it gets a chance to get all hot and slimy. Literally the worst flavor on earth, is a hot slimy pickle in steaming hot ketchup in a burger. Could gag just thinking about it.
    im with u on that 1. the sad part is I know a guy who orders his burgers with only pickles and ketchup.

Sacrelicious

Quote Originally Posted by Boxscout View Post
    I agree. One of the only food making things I know how to do well is make pickles. And pickled eggs, which are goddamned awesome.

I'm also generally anti-ketchup, but I recently had a really good version at Gordon Ramsay's burger place. It's curry flavored ketchup. I wanted to hate it, because I hate him. And it was ketchup. But it couldn't be hated.
    Pickled eggs when done properly are astoundingly good.

Ditto with pickled asparagus, and pretty much pickled anything.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Pickled eggs when done properly are astoundingly good.

Ditto with pickled asparagus, and pretty much pickled anything.

I'll give you pickled Okra.

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

maybe by itself... but there are many recipes that use ketchups in the sauce which turn out delicious!!!

one of my favs.... omelett rice

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Tailing.

Sacrelicious

I'll give you pickled Okra.
    Damn, that sounds very good, very difficult to find Okra period up here, let alone pickled.

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

^ i live in toronto, and pretty much every grocery store has okra
    im not talking specialty or asian supermarkets..
    loblaws, no frills, even fcking walmart has okra

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Chef, how long do you have to go to get a brick roux? I've tried before for making gumbo, and it never seems to get there, just gets kind of dark blonde. I've let it go for 30 minutes and never gotten anywhere.

Sacrelicious

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    ^ i live in toronto, and pretty much every grocery store has okra
    im not talking specialty or asian supermarkets..
    loblaws, no frills, even fcking walmart has okra
    I know, I used to live in Toronto. Try finding it in Calgary.

Sacrelicious

Chef, how long do you have to go to get a brick roux? I've tried before for making gumbo, and it never seems to get there, just gets kind of dark blonde. I've let it go for 30 minutes and never gotten anywhere.
    Odd, I can usually get it there in about 8-10 minutes, depending on the quantity I am making in the same pan that is. What kind of flour are you using?

It could very likely be an issue of moisture content due to climate or the type of flour, try putting the flour in the oven for about 90 seconds before making the roux, it will help if moisture is the issue.

When you are making, does it stop bubbling, if so, after how long?

Sacrelicious

I should also clarify, that depending on the heaviness of the pan and its ability to retain heat and the moisture content of the flour, this CAN take up to 45 minutes, but it shouldn't have to.

12 Last