bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

bored...lets talk boxing

just add anything would you like to say about anyone...start some good boxing talk

lets just say I have always loved JMM...this guy is something to behold....for those who havent truly followed him and his career...you missed out on witnessing something special....what do you think he can make for a 5th fight? 11 mil +ppv upside?

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

SBR Forum
    SBR Forum's Avatar Administrator
    Betpoints: 993431

Adrien Broner was dominant this weekend. Only problem is he'll get caught eventually if he doesn't take defense more seriously. His speed, power, and ability to adapt are impressive.

PaperTrail07

Let's Face It.

The thought of an undefeated boxer in his prime is just sexier than a legend nearing the end of his career.
    Boxing is no longer a sport, It’s just business.

PaperTrail07

AB is impressive...goes for KO's but its boxing....heard some interviews with him...seems like he knows the sports....already thinks he and FMM have similarities....yeah both bet your own fights ect.......LOL

Jetsfan
    Update your status
    Jetsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10090

He's good but at 23 has five kids already. Who knows if he'll manage to stay sharp as he gains more riches and fame.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

the thing about broner and his defense....I mean...im sure he could move and put on a clinic if he wanted to...but thats not what he likes to do...hes still 23 hes being moved at a good pace....any guy that boxes enough rounds in a pro career is going to get caught with a couple of shots....at some point you are going to leave yourself open...or miss with something and get countered...you saw floyd miss with a hook against shane and caught a bomb....but i think broner is confident in himself that he can handle it....many didnt think floyd had it in him to take a big shot from a pretty strong puncher...

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Ponce made Broner look silly.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan View Post
    He's good but at 23 has five kids already. Who knows if he'll manage to stay sharp as he gains more riches and fame.
    if he truly follows floyd...hell be fine....thats the thing about floyd...he trains like a broke man. ...like the next guy, no matter how confident floyd is in his ability to beat him, is trying to take the riches and food off his table away....he doesnt get complacent...he knows where his bread is buttered.....which is what cracks me up when people make excuses for pac and his "distractions" that supposedly take away from his training

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    ponce is a pretty good fighter...and was probably too stern of a test for him at that stage

SBR Forum
    SBR Forum's Avatar Administrator
    Betpoints: 993431

Nobody has the power to hurt him now at 135lbs. When he moves up, I hope he'll box a little more and mix his game up. Everyone gets caught but he's more likely to be lights out like Pac was if he values crowd pleasing and show boating more than securing the W.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Forum View Post
    Nobody has the power to hurt him now at 135lbs. When he moves up, I hope he'll box a little more and mix his game up. Everyone gets caught but he's more likely to be lights out like Pac was if he values crowd pleasing and show boating more than securing the W.
    true...at 135 he isnt fearing anything coming his way....I think even floyd was a little gun shy when he first started really stepping it up in weight...then he got confident in his ability to take a punch with some of the bigger guys and started fighting in the pocket and walking guys down...nobody thought hed stand in front of shane or walk him down

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Yep he is quite transparent. He thinks talking a little trash will make people love to hate him. Floyd, who I assume is his idol, didn't start out that way. Anyone remember how mild-mannered he was in post fight interviews when he was a young buck? The guy also didn't start his career as "Money".

De La Hoya made himself likeable just by being extremely nice and gracious with his time, good to his fans and good for the community. I guess clean cut American is out as Broner's already got five kids running around out of wedlock? Check out some of his arrest history as well.
    floyd didnt start out that way....at the same time he didnt start making ridiculous money until he did....you have to remember that....when floyd was coming up there were guys like roy and shane who were stars....but never got close to the star he is....they couldnt sell like him....broner is at the young age and he has a blueprint to follow.....you can sell yourself and still be humble....behind the scenes floyd is a decent enough guy...im sure broner has some of that in him....but to take it to the next level

arum tried to promote floyd as the clean cut all american black kid....and while floyd made some good money with arum he makes ALOT more now...floyds first ppv fight was gatti....arum told floyd he didnt want to make the oscar fight because it wouldnt sell and hed lose money...floyd bought out his top rank contract for 700k and the rest is history....al haymon had a plan to tap the urban audience....

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Yep he is quite transparent. He thinks talking a little trash will make people love to hate him. Floyd, who I assume is his idol, didn't start out that way. Anyone remember how mild-mannered he was in post fight interviews when he was a young buck? The guy also didn't start his career as "Money".

De La Hoya made himself likeable just by being extremely nice and gracious with his time, good to his fans and good for the community. I guess clean cut American is out as Broner's already got five kids running around out of wedlock? Check out some of his arrest history as well.
    oscar had a huge built in fan base.....it was much easier for him....just like it was easy for pacquiao....but the bottom line is floyd sold himself...he fights the way he wants...protects himself and still sells ppvs....its really something to marvel at the way he has turned himself into a cash cow...and its on his terms....floyd headlines his first ppv when he was like 28...

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

You fools old enough to remember the middleweight heyday of the 80s?
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 02-27-15 at 10:39 AM. Reason: image does not exist

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Let's talk boxing...ummm...that TV series Lights Out is worth watching. I recommend it.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 02-27-15 at 10:39 AM. Reason: attachment does not exist

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

This is why boxing is eating itself to death....got to love this guy

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    Let's Face It.

The thought of an undefeated boxer in his prime is just sexier than a legend nearing the end of his career.
    Boxing is no longer a sport, It’s just business.
    Of course it is and it always was.

D'Amato once said to a young kid from brooklyn that you have to fight and entertain the people. Fight in a way that people wanna see you perform again asap.

I remember an early fight from the Prince where he manhandled showboated and finally crushed his opponent. Thats when I said...ok whens this guy fightin' again. If you can reach that point with your audience...you will make it!

Alot of guys are pointfighters and fight not to lose. Barely a handful turn into marvelous boxers that are good in ALL areas. Its even more rare to see 2 marvelous boxers in their prime go at it.

It didnt happen too often in boxings history.

Dank_Fire
    Dank_Fire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5453

How much longer do u think Adrian Broner will stay at 135? Surely HBO would want his next fight to be if not Ricky Burns then at least a name with some significance. Golden Boy has a lot of legit 140lbers that would make for an intresting test

Boxscout
    Update your status
    Boxscout's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Brain is right about everything. Announcers during Floyd fights used to talk about how he didn't make the kind of money a guy with his talent and resume should and wonder if he'd ever see really big pay days. Now he's the highest paid athlete in the U.S.

I don't think we'll see another fighter as big in the US as Floyd and Manny are now. Mayyyyyybe David Price has an outside shot if he surprises everyone, including me and KOs Wlad or something.

However, Broner is making the most of it. More than half the battle is just getting people to know who you are. Just literally remember you, even if they don't come to love or hate you. That brush stuff is stupid, but if you see it, you'll remember him as the brush guy. He's got that post it note stuck in your brain. Then you can write on facts, like that he's supposed to be a great fighter, or you like him or don't, or whatever, but he's a character in the story now. In the future, you'll hear "Broner vs ____" and think, "oh yeah, that Broner guy... this is a pretty big event."

Notice, we aren't talking about Mikey Garcia. He might need to try something other than the Shirley Temple cowboy outfit.

Dank_Fire

would be great if Mikey Garcia fought the winner of Donaire/Rigendaoux but i doubt it would happen

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Dank_Fire View Post
    would be great if Mikey Garcia fought the winner of Donaire/Rigendaoux but i doubt it would happen
    donaire/rigo itself would be enough for me..ill believe it when i see it

this might sound corny to some...but i believe it...if you are a true fight fan and secure in who you are/manhood....you understand floyd....

hes fought good good fighters...ive always believed the fact that he left arums stable to become a superstar has hindered the pac fight...again...people forget...he left arum after buying out his contract for 700k so he could go fight oscar...arum told him the fight wouldnt sell and that hed lose money....think about how that would ruin such a fight when floyd went on to become a megastar and then arum created his own star....you think a guy like arum would want to put his guy in the ring and let him get ruined by floyd....when floyd was with arum the bobfather was calling him the greatest fighter since ali....when he was gone he was saying how the "little phillipino" would beat him up.....

around the time floyd fought shane...after shane had whooped margaritos ass...cats were saying floyd was scared to death of shane....floyd has asked manny to take the same tests he was willing to take...manny wasnt willing to....he said "it weakens me and my blood"....floyd was on 24/7 sparring 12 rounds "i just had blood drawn this morning...just sparred 12 rounds I feel great"....then people said...including freddie roach..."no way he stands in front of mosley...gotta get on his bike"....and floyd told everyone you didnt have to worry about that ...he was gonna fight shane standing in front of him...not only did he do that...he ate a couple of bombs that most had gotten an instant hard on thinking floyd was going down...and then he beats the breaks off shane...

think of how often floyd gets hit with flush bombs...take a look back at his instincts in those moments...he instantly tied shanes right hand up so he couldnt land another shot after that....it was textbook shit you learn but most guys can rarely implement....and at that stage...on that stage....it was something to marvel at...how he zapped control of the fight...took it back and dominated......

floyd will never get a fair shake as a fighter from most...most cant appreciate him....and broner is just a kid....maybe not move for move...but broner is trying to copy the blueprint floyd put out.....and its not one that anyone can copy....floyd and al hayon wrote it.....it says "im a black fighter...im good at what i do...and i will not let my earning potential go to waste"......and dont even start about floyds resume.....floyd has fought the best he could...maybe not when you wanted him to....but thats not always his fault

years ago...mosley was asked about a floyd fight, by larry merchant in the ring, and he said "i have a vacation planned a tooth problem"....back when shane was a big name and nobody outside the hardcore boxing community knew about floyd.....for shane floyd represented high risk no reward.....and shane danced around it.....and then floyd drew criticism when he finally got a fight with shane when floyd was in the drivers seat....because shane was no longer that same shane

its a crazy game...and most people dont know and understand it all

bobby heenan
    Update your status

ill go on with my rant

alot of people will compare kobe and lebron...kobe with jordan.....and for the kobe/jordan comparison ...the fact its...kobe built his whole game and persona off of jordan...copied it to a t....and thats fine..he had an idol and went with it...and was able to somewhat duplicate it

broner wants to be able to duplicate the success floyd has had....and so should any african american boxer...nobody has seen a deal like floyd has...not for someone that isnt heavyweight....

there is no league to support these fighters....to sell them...they must sell themsevles.....floyd and al haymon have done it brilliantly....they did it where guys like shane and roy have failed to do it......you cant fault floyd for not having a hagler or hearns to fight like leonard did

if you think floyd was ever really scared of pac you are crazy...he made an easy and simple demand to a guy....take some tests that he himself was willing to take......it should have been easy...but bob arums ego wouldnt let it happen

hougigo
    hougigo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    See thee Quintero fight?

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3341

The fight game sucks today. Just watched the Hagler/Hearns fight on you tube. Those were the days that boxing meant something. Have not seen a boxing match in years. The fighters of today do not compare to the one's of the past.

hougigo
    hougigo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    The fight game sucks today. Just watched the Hagler/Hearns fight on you tube. Those were the days that boxing meant something. Have not seen a boxing match in years. The fighters of today do not compare to the one's of the past.
    More concerned about padding records than anything.
    It's the illusion of being good rather than being good.
    I laugh when people say Khan is brand new and back to beat everyone.
    He beat some noob who was still tagging him inside when he did his same old flurry and run.
    Garcia sparks him again and I can't wait

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

floyd mayweather is scared of canelo

yoyoyo
    yoyoyo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 402

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    floyd mayweather is scared of canelo
    Floyd Mayweather would box Canelo's ears off.

Canelo is smack dab in the middle of taking on the first TRUE test of his career. There's nothing about beating up on 140lb fighters at 154 that would scare a guy with Floyd's skill.

yoyoyo
    yoyoyo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 402

Speaking of...looks like Mayweather/Guererro is not only ON, but it's going to be on Showtime. Mayweather inked a "record payday" deal with Showtime, and is no longer with HBO.

Edit...looks like a 6 fight deal.
    Last edited by yoyoyo; 02-19-13 at 11:30 AM.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoyo View Post
    Floyd Mayweather would box Canelo's ears off.

Canelo is smack dab in the middle of taking on the first TRUE test of his career. There's nothing about beating up on 140lb fighters at 154 that would scare a guy with Floyd's skill.
    floyd is also scared of paul williams(still) margarito, sergio, andre ward, and the klitschkos lol

and canelo has some decent names on his resume for 22 years old...but like dude said...most of them are blown up welters...i agree trout is the first real test of his career....and if he passes he just might get floyd in september

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoyo View Post
    Speaking of...looks like Mayweather/Guererro is not only ON, but it's going to be on Showtime. Mayweather inked a "record payday" deal with Showtime, and is no longer with HBO.

Edit...looks like a 6 fight deal.
    ehhh....6 fights? i cant see it....I just cant imagine dude fighting 6 times....i mean lets say he fights guerrero and canelo this year....then what? sure things always change and pop up....but then what? maybe a fight with pac? maybe a fight with khan or broner? sergio martinez? devon alexander? i just cant see there being 6 fights for him out there....but things change

TankHankerous
    Frrrrrrunkis!
    TankHankerous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 576

"You wanna talk boxing? Ok, let's talk about how much it sucks compared to MMA"

-Anyone born before 1990.

Jetsfan
    Update your status
    Jetsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10090

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    i agree trout is the first real test of his career....and if he passes he just might get floyd in september
    Trout is head and shoulders the better boxer. He might get screwed on a decision but Trout vs Mayweather is more likely.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Trout is head and shoulders the better boxer. He might get screwed on a decision but Trout vs Mayweather is more likely.
    trout is definitley a better, slicker, boxer.....but like you alluded to....I mean clearly the powers that be would prefer canelo/mayweather....and if canelo is is aggressive against trout and keeps moving forward well i could see how the cards look

ill be interested to see how a 36 year old floyd is going to honor a 6 fight deal...

Dank_Fire

I could talk boxing all day. i figured there is no way Kendall Holt could win by decision over Lamont Peterson since the fight is in Petersons town of Washington DC. This fight is kinda one thats going under the radar since its on ESPN2 Friday

12 Last