Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Thank you, thor!

PunisherIND
    myles jewry
    PunisherIND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9625

Solid main card for a fuel event. Could easily be an fx!

Sacrelicious

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

I can't watch Dana give a politically correct interview.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by v1y View Post
    I can't watch Dana give a politically correct interview.
    he brings out some of his classics.... the whole "if there are 4 different sports happening in 4 corners of a playground and one of the sports is a fight everybody will stop and go and watch the fight!" He loves tht little one. Also his classic technique of answering any question about fighter health or pay by diverting around the actual question by going on about boxing and NFL....

- "Dana, are you not concerned about the amount of concussions that your fighters get?"

- "Have you watched NFL recently muthafucker...there are multiple concussions in every game...we have ringside doctors and is the most regulated sport on the planet muthafucker."

I wish somebody would actually then go back again and say "yeah that's great about NFL but has nothing to do with UFC!"

Mercersux
    Mercersux's Avatar Become A Pro!

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...e-for-bellator

Bellator pulling dirty tactics with another fighter. Eddie did a segment on the MMA Hour but they haven't posted it on youtube yet. Guy seems to be getting legit screwed at the moment. Hopefully they don't drag this garbage out too long in court so the dude can fight.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by Mercersux View Post
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...e-for-bellator

Bellator pulling dirty tactics with another fighter. Eddie did a segment on the MMA Hour but they haven't posted it on youtube yet. Guy seems to be getting legit screwed at the moment. Hopefully they don't drag this garbage out too long in court so the dude can fight.
    Disagree. Very reasonable tactics, I think.

Sacrelicious

Yeah I'm with MD, its a bit cutthroat and hard assed, but when you sign a contract you should be fully aware of what you are signing.

Mercersux

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post
    Yeah I'm with MD, its a bit cutthroat and hard assed, but when you sign a contract you should be fully aware of what you are signing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Disagree. Very reasonable tactics, I think.
    No. Very dirty tactics. I mean I can understand why they would do such a thing. Alvarez is a big name commodity for Bellator while the Ufc would just add him to a stable of name and competitive lightweights. It's just the fact that they try to spin the matching contract in a way to look Alvarez look like an a-hole. They did some dirty contract stuff to Tyson Nam. Now that situation made this look small but they were getting dragged in the mud over that one so they backed off. This one I think they'll drag out as long as they can. Not good for the sport and not good to establish this as norm in mma. Especially for the lesser known fighters.

MD

No. Very dirty tactics. I mean I can understand why they would do such a thing. Alvarez is a big name commodity for Bellator while the Ufc would just add him to a stable of name and competitive lightweights. It's just the fact that they try to spin the matching contract in a way to look Alvarez look like an a-hole. They did some dirty contract stuff to Tyson Nam. Now that situation made this look small but they were getting dragged in the mud over that one so they backed off. This one I think they'll drag out as long as they can. Not good for the sport and not good to establish this as norm in mma. Especially for the lesser known fighters.
    They promoted him, established his career and built him up, and he signed a contract with a stipulation that allows Bellator to match any offers from outside companies for the express purpose of keeping a commodity that they established. I think it's more than reasonable. Surely you think the UFC would do the exact same thing? I think it's great for the sport. What's the motivation for a small company to build a superstar if they can't reap the benefits? If this weren't the case, you would never, ever have a Lombard situation, or an Overeem situation, or an Alvarez situation again, where there's big, hyped up fighters migrating to the UFC, because it simply wouldn't be profitable for smaller businesses.

Mercersux

They promoted him, established his career and built him up, and he signed a contract with a stipulation that allows Bellator to match any offers from outside companies for the express purpose of keeping a commodity that they established. I think it's more than reasonable. Surely you think the UFC would do the exact same thing? I think it's great for the sport. What's the motivation for a small company to build a superstar if they can't reap the benefits? If this weren't the case, you would never, ever have a Lombard situation, or an Overeem situation, or an Alvarez situation again, where there's big, hyped up fighters migrating to the UFC, because it simply wouldn't be profitable for smaller businesses.
    Fair enough. While I tend to believe that Alvarez did more to make Bellator reputable than vice versa, I can understand the point your making. Now the Tyson Nam situation is just Bellator being a bunch of jerks. I mean what do some of these fighters have as a choice than to sign these restrictive contracts? Unless you have some sort of reputation in the fight game you aren't making money anywhere besides Bellator & UFC. This is where a union or some sort of measure to protect the fighters should be in place. Boxing & MMA have been chalk full of dirty promoters so I'm not shocked but it still doesn't make it right.

DeFactoCrippler
    DEFACTO© SAVES IDIOTS AND GONZOIDS
    DeFactoCrippler's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fair enough. While I tend to believe that Alvarez did more to make Bellator reputable than vice versa, I can understand the point your making. Now the Tyson Nam situation is just Bellator being a bunch of jerks. I mean what do some of these fighters have as a choice than to sign these restrictive contracts? Unless you have some sort of reputation in the fight game you aren't making money anywhere besides Bellator & UFC. This is where a union or some sort of measure to protect the fighters should be in place. Boxing & MMA have been chalk full of dirty promoters so I'm not shocked but it still doesn't make it right.
    Funny thing since the UFC's "monopoly" on MMA got stronger, the quality of cards has only got worse.

All they do now is exploit fighters because they have nowhere else to go.

If they paid them better they wouldn't pull out of fights at the drop of a dime for the insurance money.

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

zuffa would definitely do the same thing if they believed they were enforcing their contractual rights. look no further than the bj penn situation after he beat matt hughes for the belt. bj signed to fight in K1, so ufc stripped him of the belt. bj sued bc he believed he should still be the ufc champ even though he was fighting in k1 -- zuffa disagreed and argued that bj was breaching his contract. it got ugly. as an aside, that case was probably the genesis of the current "champions clause" which gives the promoter the right to keep a champion under contract.

i believe zuffa did the same thing with couture when he was trying to fight fedor, right?

kripsak
    kripsak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3693

Shouldn't the fighters sports manager protect their fighters from signing a crappy contract?

I've always been skeptical of some of these high profile sports managers.

Sacrelicious

I can understand Alvarez's motivations... but I can not help but think he goes into the UFC and goes 2 and 2 in his first 4 fights. That division is a shark tank.

I get the desire to be on the big stage, but on some level, ones gotta think he is better off as the star attraction of Bellator, no?

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

I can understand Alvarez's motivations... but I can not help but think he goes into the UFC and goes 2 and 2 in his first 4 fights. That division is a shark tank.

I get the desire to be on the big stage, but on some level, ones gotta think he is better off as the star attraction of Bellator, no?
    no.

Mercersux

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherIND View Post
    no.
    Double no

Sacrelicious

Oh, okay then.

Sacrelicious

I mean I can see Gilbert being top of the division, honestly, top 3, but Eddie? Really?

MD

I mean I can see Gilbert being top of the division, honestly, top 3, but Eddie? Really?
    Eddie excites me more than Gilbert. Probably more raw talent and, more importantly, he meshes better with the division. Gilbert could probably find a safer route into the top three UFC lightweights, sure, but he'd never be champion. There are guys that he just clearly wouldn't beat, such as Henderson and Maynard. Alvarez, on the other hand, is not only well-rounded, but a vicious finisher. A guy like that always has a chance to make waves. Gilbert has a better chance at being a top three guy, but Eddie's ceiling is an unknown, and that's why he's so interesting.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

yeah Eddie is a lot more interesting to watch

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

melendez is more interesting to me than alvarez. melendez fights to win. alvarez gets hurt in every fight.

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    yeah Eddie is a lot more interesting to watch
    Its the perfectly groomed eyebrows imo.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Its the perfectly groomed eyebrows imo.
    Not his coc k this time?

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    Not his coc k this time?
    I never watched a bellator weigh in. you got some inside info for us buddy?

MD

you got some inside info for us buddy?
    He does seem like the type to have some "info" inside him.

Thor4140

I never watched a bellator weigh in. you got some inside info for us buddy?
    Nah. Never been a big fan of the Hog.

Thor4140

Defact what ya think lol.

[IMG][/IMG]

Mercersux

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...y-per-view-cut

Nope, Alvarez getting screwed...Poor guy.
    Last edited by Mercersux; 01-09-13 at 08:51 PM.

Crassus
    Crassus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1058

Daaammnnn immediate title shot. Badass.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Not his coc k this time?
    hehe

Fragoel2
    Fragoel2's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well, they have taken this to court and I'm sure that any judge that is not completely retarded can see the difference between the two contracts. Zuffa already does 10-12 PPV a year (not sure about the actual number). Bellator does 0.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Defact what ya think lol.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Does Fury have "cardio for dayzzzz" and "top of the food chain striking"?!

First 1234 Last