AdamB
    AdamB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 463

TUF 16 vs TUF The Smashes

Sorry if I'm raising something people are already talking about elsewhere, but what on earth is going on with the two seasons of TUF right now? The American one has the worst cast since the heavyweight season (genuinely think that so far people have looked worse than even that) whilst the UK vs Aus guys have looked, for the most part, quite good. Makes absolutely no sense.

Any of you know much about the other cast member of TUF 16 that suggests there will be any fighters of value gained from this season? I saw that Mike Ricci has fought some half decent competition (including getting flattened by Curran). Anyone else that stands a chance even at the bottom rungs of the UFC?

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

The UFC doesn't let the best fighters on the show, I don't get it. They care more about who will come off better on TV. It's bullsh*t. There are so many great fighters that don't make it on the show, and such lame ones always do. Remember Casey Dyer, the 14 year old father who got KO'd by Josh Ferguson in 4 seconds? Gimme a break! Give the best fighters a chance, not complete jokes! Makes ZERO sense.

On the bright side, it's great for betting/fading.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Im pretty sure Ricci makes it the final. But yeah the level of competition isnt great - similar to the Lesnar/JDS season when you had dudes like Len Bentley being a top pick! The Smashes is much more entertaining and better fighters
    Last edited by Vaughany; 10-09-12 at 03:51 PM.

AdamB

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    The UFC doesn't let the best fighters on the show, I don't get it. They care more about who will come off better on TV. It's bullsh*t. There are so many great fighters that don't make it on the show, and such lame ones always do. Remember Casey Dyer, the 14 year old father who got KO'd by Josh Ferguson in 4 seconds? Gimme a break! Give the best fighters a chance, not complete jokes! Makes ZERO sense.

On the bright side, it's great for betting/fading.
    That's true in a way, but the problem is these guys aren't funny, they're not entertaining and they are shit fighters. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities. Me personally, I'd rather see a house full of people with the personality (or lack thereof) of Cameron Diffley from this season, with more focus on the training and shit than people getting their mattress thrown in a pool.

The past seasons have had much better fighters who also had bigger and more entertaining personalities. The UK v Aus one (which I expected to be terrible) has been somewhat entertaining in the non-fighting parts, and significantly better when they actually fight.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

yeah, like tht bit with the dude playing pool and whistling late at night whilst they were sleeping! Just seemed like he was doing it blatantly on purpose... dudes are just going on now to play a character and get attention. The Smashes is better cos at least there is the whole rivalry thing to built the show around, even if they did choose to coaches who aren't exactly naturals in front of the camera or full of charisma!

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

You never know until the season ends.

Who honestly thought Wiman would still be in the UFC? Who thought Lawlor and Roop would still be here? Who thought Mitrione would go 5-0 in the UFC?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Polish Pistola vs Noke at Smashes Finale

DeFactoCrippler
    DEFACTO© SAVES IDIOTS AND GONZOIDS
    DeFactoCrippler's Avatar Become A Pro!

Havent even been watching this garbage. They should just end it soon. Funny how TUF was what sparked the UFC's popularity when it had little to do with MMA and more to do with jersey Shore style drama.

That drama is what they have tried to recreate ever since.

AdamB

Quote Originally Posted by DeFactoCrippler View Post
    Havent even been watching this garbage. They should just end it soon. Funny how TUF was what sparked the UFC's popularity when it had little to do with MMA and more to do with jersey Shore style drama.

That drama is what they have tried to recreate ever since.
    To be fair man, the part of TUF which sparked the UFC's popularity was the mental rock 'em sock 'em robot brawl between Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar. It was the UFC's odd decision to decide to focus more on the in-house drama than the fighting, and the way I see it ever since season 1 the calibre of fighters has diminished. If things keep going as we are I doubt we'll ever see a TUF winner come close to challenging for a title again - who apart from Dodson is even going to be close in recent years?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Sadollah is still going to be champ one day brah!

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Ferguson is really good, I think.

AdamB

Ferguson is really good, I think.
    Ferguson is a lightweight. He is a great fighter, but in terms of that utterly incredible division, he's no big fish, in my opinion.

DeFactoCrippler

Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    To be fair man, the part of TUF which sparked the UFC's popularity was the mental rock 'em sock 'em robot brawl between Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar. It was the UFC's odd decision to decide to focus more on the in-house drama than the fighting, and the way I see it ever since season 1 the calibre of fighters has diminished. If things keep going as we are I doubt we'll ever see a TUF winner come close to challenging for a title again - who apart from Dodson is even going to be close in recent years?
    Wtf you talking bout willis. Season 4 "The Comeback" or whatever had by far the most talent in the house because they were all veteran fighters.

Yet it had the lowest ratings because all the fighters were professional for the most part and just came in and did their thing without getting drunk, or stupid. The UFC never tried it again.

Plus the fights that occurred during season 1 on the tv show sucked ass (kos leben), and the tv show was filmed, edited, and aired before the finale with bonnar and forrest.

DeFactoCrippler

After season 1, I remember they removed all booze from the house cause of the shit it caused. Then it made ratings go way down so they brought it back.

Lets face it. Reality shows screen for people who are likely to go nuts on camera and get them some good stuff to shoot. The UFC is no differrent. They seek out crazy meatheads, and put them in a house with other crazy meatheads, then add booze to the mix.

Do you really think the UFC wasn't aware that Junie Browning probably had history of doing the type of shit he did?

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

After season 1, I remember they removed all booze from the house cause of the shit it caused. Then it made ratings go way down so they brought it back.

Lets face it. Reality shows screen for people who are likely to go nuts on camera and get them some good stuff to shoot. The UFC is no differrent. They seek out crazy meatheads, and put them in a house with other crazy meatheads, then add booze to the mix.

Do you really think the UFC wasn't aware that Junie Browning probably had history of doing the type of shit he did?
    stfu, manlet. stop acting like you know anything.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Ferguson is a lightweight. He is a great fighter, but in terms of that utterly incredible division, he's no big fish, in my opinion.
    I think he could beat some top 155ers, like Pettis. He fought the Johnson fight with a broken hand, and didn't fight smart, either. If he implemented his wrestling, he could have easily beat Johnson.

DeFactoCrippler

stfu, manlet. stop acting like you know anything.
    lol you ever ask yourself why they ALWAYS have an armo on the show, and that armo ALWAYS flips out?

lol you ever ask why that armo is ALWAYS a "manlet"?

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

lol you ever ask yourself why they ALWAYS have an armo on the show, and that armo ALWAYS flips out?

lol you ever ask why that armo is ALWAYS a "manlet"?
    so manlets like you can relate, duh.

DeFactoCrippler

so manlets like you can relate, duh.
    One time I wrapped a towel around my head like a how a chick does to dry her hair (no homo) and I kinda realized what it's like to be an armo raghead. You guys probably did that to hide your bald heads. Now you just shave them and grow a beard. Go figure.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

lol your mom would kick you out of her basement if you stopped doing your chores, so get off this forum and get shit done, fool.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

keep hiding behind your computer, manlet. i know you wouldn't have the balls to step up.

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

easily the worst crop of fighter in the show's history. Why is Mike Ricci such a little faggottt?

I conjured up this scenario in my head where he tries to break into my house and I'm forced to put two holes in his face. I'd probably sleep it off the next day like nothing.

Tuf smashes hasn't been all bad tho...

Colin Fletcher fighting that little Aussie gangster was a sight

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by illmatick View Post
    easily the worst crop of fighter in the show's history. Why is Mike Ricci such a little faggottt?

I conjured up this scenario in my head where he tries to break into my house and I'm forced to put two holes in his face. I'd probably sleep it off the next day like nothing.

Tuf smashes hasn't been all bad tho...

Colin Fletcher fighting that little Aussie gangster was a sight
    ha yeah, Ricci is a bitch! And yeah standard of fighters is terrible.
    Smashes was a bit better but injuries led to some farcical decisions with the match-ups. Laughable that "The Bra boiii" Vasculik was fighting guys like Parke and Fletcher who are two weight divisions above him and that he and the stiff "X" got to fight twice... having two semi-finalists who lost their actual fights to get to the semi is a bit of a joke! At least there were some characters and likable guys in Smashes.

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

You making a play on the finale, V?

hit Pearson a few weeks back but I'm not quite as confident in him as I was then.....still think he should be priced closer to -140

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by illmatick View Post
    You making a play on the finale, V?

hit Pearson a few weeks back but I'm not quite as confident in him as I was then.....still think he should be priced closer to -140
    yeah he might end up at -120 or something yet. I do worry about him getting carried away and rushing forward with his chin up in the air like he did against Cole Miller and Cub Swanson. But then I doubt that G Sot is the kind of counter striker who can take advantage of that. I've got Pearson in a double with Dos Anjos and may add more on him by decision. Im liking Stormin Norman and fight goes distance, and Mike WIlkinson to beat Brendan but depends on lines. Maybe Scott hedged with Whittaker TKO/KO. Manny to beat Alloway

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    yeah he might end up at -120 or something yet. I do worry about him getting carried away and rushing forward with his chin up in the air like he did against Cole Miller and Cub Swanson. But then I doubt that G Sot is the kind of counter striker who can take advantage of that. I've got Pearson in a double with Dos Anjos and may add more on him by decision. Im liking Stormin Norman and fight goes distance, and Mike WIlkinson to beat Brendan but depends on lines. Maybe Scott hedged with Whittaker TKO/KO. Manny to beat Alloway
    I was leaning Brendan in that fight... I don't wana talk about the finals yet, not til lines are up... but i love my pick for the smashes welterweight final.