THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

UFC 149: Calgary (July 21 2012)

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
    • Urijah Faber vs. Renan Barao (for interim bantamweight title)
    • Tim Boetsch vs. Hector Lombard
    • Shawn Jordan vs. Cheick Kongo
    • James Head vs. Claude Patrick
    • Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Chris Clements

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX)
    • Court McGee vs. Nick Ring
    • Roland Delorme vs. Francisco Rivera
    • Ryan Jimmo vs. Anthony Perosh
    • Bryan Caraway vs. Mitch Gagnon
    • Antonio Carvalho vs. Daniel Pineda
    • Mitch Clarke vs. Anton Kuivanen

THE_LOCKSMITH

anyone taking a shot with Boetsch? he's not the greatest but he can grind out 2 of 3 rounds. Plus Lombard might be to highly valued from weak competition in Bellator

PunisherIND
    myles jewry
    PunisherIND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9625

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    anyone taking a shot with Boetsch? he's not the greatest but he can grind out 2 of 3 rounds. Plus Lombard might be to highly valued from weak competition in Bellator
    not available at my book yet

also, and i cant believe im saying this, but im getting the sense that zuffa is putting on too many ppvs. this was a criticism for a little while now, but i never did mind as long as they were quality events on paper. after 147, this 149 event, and 150, i cant say these events are up to snuff. shawn jordan, james head, and chris clements on the main card? right now the co-main for 150 is jake shields/ed herman. come on dana, this is pathetic.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherIND View Post
    not available at my book yet

also, and i cant believe im saying this, but im getting the sense that zuffa is putting on too many ppvs. this was a criticism for a little while now, but i never did mind as long as they were quality events on paper. after 147, this 149 event, and 150, i cant say these events are up to snuff. shawn jordan, james head, and chris clements on the main card? right now the co-main for 150 is jake shields/ed herman. come on dana, this is pathetic.
    Yeah, certainly wouldnt pay $40 or whatever u have to pay over there for these kind of events...if they are going to have this many events then they need to be charging less

THE_LOCKSMITH

yea this card has been killed by injuries, wonder which will have a higher PPV buy-rate this one with Faber/Barao, Boetsch/Lombard or UFC 147 Franklin/Silva, Werdum/Russow

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

this card was stacked pre injuries

Aldo/Koch
    Nog/Kongo
    Shogun/Silva
    Akiyama/Alves

Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

The more events, the more action we get. Who could complain?

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

Quote Originally Posted by Vitooch View Post
    The more events, the more action we get. Who could complain?
    i wouldnt be complaining if they were free events, or like vaughnay said, if they charged less than $55 (this is what they charge for ppv in HD). i know most people will say "just stream it", but i like watching in HD, and more importantly, i need to be able to pause for smoke breaks and daddy duties.

i realize some of these cards were plagued with injuries, but do you really think that will change anytime soon? zuffa should have a contingency plan. either switch it from ppv to fuel, or charge 1/2 price.

The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

This will definitely battle 147 for worst card of the year. I'm only interested in the main event and seeing Lombard. And there aren't any full cards that I'm excited about in the next months either.

Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Im speaking more as a regular mma bettor than an MMA fan. I bought UFC 147 on ppv and really enjoyed it. Not exactly the most recognizable fighters, but as a MMA fan and a bettor, I didnt mind spending the 55.

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

Quote Originally Posted by Vitooch View Post
    Im speaking more as a regular mma bettor than an MMA fan. I bought UFC 147 on ppv and really enjoyed it. Not exactly the most recognizable fighters, but as a MMA fan and a bettor, I didnt mind spending the 55.
    i hear you vitooch, but you can still bet on the fights if its on free tv. and i agree that an event can be sick even if you dont recognize the fighters, im just saying, i'd be more inclined to shell out the bucks if i knew the fighters. thats why i said these cards are disappointing "on paper". at the same time, you can have a bunch of names and it turns out to be a disappointing event. my point is, if they expect you to pay $55 every month, sometimes twice a month, they should be able to put together 5 decent fights "on paper" for the main card. if they cant pull that off, due to injuries or whatever, then throw it on fuel or fx. and if thats not feasible, then reduce the price.

the fear is that ufc will turn in the boxing model where a ppv is built around one big fight only.

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Yeah, certainly wouldnt pay $40 or whatever u have to pay over there for these kind of events...if they are going to have this many events then they need to be charging less

hey V how does it work in the UK? i know they used to show the ppvs on espn. however, i believe you had to subscribe to espn like hbo or something. but that was a while ago and im pretty sure the ufc-espn deal expired. how does it work now?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

I think Dana and UFC in general have got to a point now where they feel they'd be showing weakness or showing a backward step if they were to go back to having one UFC a month or something so are jus going to keep churning them out

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherIND View Post
    hey V how does it work in the UK? i know they used to show the ppvs on espn. however, i believe you had to subscribe to espn like hbo or something. but that was a while ago and im pretty sure the ufc-espn deal expired. how does it work now?
    yeah, I pay like $20 (about £12) a month for ESPN and they show all the PPV's and Fuel, FX events. I think the contract expires in August or September...not sure what the situation is for the near future tho

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

yeah, I pay like $20 (about £12) a month for ESPN and they show all the PPV's and Fuel, FX events. I think the contract expires in August or September...not sure what the situation is for the near future tho
    that's the shit.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

yee cant complain

Beelzebubzy

There is no way this card is comparable to 147

Yes, there is no real ppv headliners and Barao is still an unknown to the casual fan. But it started off stacked and injuries changed it. You can not really fault the UFC on this one.
    150 on the other hand or UFC on Fox 4 are weak cards same as 151

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
    There is no way this card is comparable to 147

Yes, there is no real ppv headliners and Barao is still an unknown to the casual fan. But it started off stacked and injuries changed it. You can not really fault the UFC on this one.
    150 on the other hand or UFC on Fox 4 are weak cards same as 151
    yeah injuries and drug test failures have played a big part which I guess UFC cant help

poopoo333
    poopoo333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4163

Shawn Jordan.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Matt Damon.

Beelzebubzy

Matt Damon.

Beelzebubzy

Riddle vs Clements , Siyar is out.

Is a fork the same if you change the handle, then the blade
    Original fight
    Akiyama vs Alves, became, Alves vs Siyar, became Siyar vs Clements, became Clements vs Riddle.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Oh great, get to see another striking clinic from Riddle. No doubt he'll pull out with an injury before it tho

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

Original fight
    Akiyama vs Alves, became, Alves vs Siyar, became Siyar vs Clements, became Clements vs Riddle.
    It's crazy how a main card fight has transformed into a facebook joint.

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Original fight
    F*ckballs.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Ebersole replaces Patrick

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

Large bet on Renan Barao to defeat Urijah Faber.

THE_LOCKSMITH

money coming in against Kongo, opened as a -230 fav now down to -130

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    money coming in against Kongo, opened as a -230 fav now down to -130
    chuck congo is -105 now.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Will probably end up similar to Mitrione/Kongo line with Kongo at +120

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

how is a guy who got ktfo'ed by holata even odds with kongo?

jordan looked decent against thompson, but subbing johnson is no grand feat.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by v1y View Post
    how is a guy who got ktfo'ed by holata even odds with kongo?

jordan looked decent against thompson, but subbing johnson is no grand feat.
    I guess one could argue that that fight was almost 2 years ago and he's improved a lot since then. He wasnt at Jackson's back then, didnt join Jackson's until jus before the lavar Johnson fight I believe and has shown rapid improvement (especially physically and in his conditioning) since going to Alburquerque. He also took the Devin Cole fight on a weeks notice and was in horrible shape yet still managed to win the first round. Granted, Kongo would probably of beaten all of Shawn's previous opponents but he doesnt seem to be improving, and dare I say has peaked and is on the decline, while Shawn is only improving fight by fight. I think the injuries (especially back) are catching up with Kongo

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

Couldnt said it better. I think Jordan is betable @ even money.

BluntTrauma
    BluntTrauma's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 180

I guess one could argue that that fight was almost 2 years ago and he's improved a lot since then. He wasnt at Jackson's back then, didnt join Jackson's until jus before the lavar Johnson fight I believe and has shown rapid improvement (especially physically and in his conditioning) since going to Alburquerque. He also took the Devin Cole fight on a weeks notice and was in horrible shape yet still managed to win the first round. Granted, Kongo would probably of beaten all of Shawn's previous opponents but he doesnt seem to be improving, and dare I say has peaked and is on the decline, while Shawn is only improving fight by fight. I think the injuries (especially back) are catching up with Kongo

Thank God somebody else agrees. I'm thinking the same way. Kongo hasn't looked good in forever and I've been high on Jordan since the Cole fight even though he lost. Jordan's had a couple of bad losses but I think he said he hadn't had a full training camp until the Lavar fight or around there. Kongo tends to try to take the fight to the floor and I think if he can't do it early then he'll be in trouble on the feet. I think Kongo's on his way out and Jordan's on his way up. I believe Shawn's chin is fairly solid too, even though he's been KO'd a couple times in the past.

Beelzebubzy

Faber wont wait for Cruz if he wins

"I'm not waiting for Dominick in any way, shape, or form," he said. "It makes sense for Carlos Condit to wait around for Georges St-Pierre. It’s a huge fight for him, but for me, of course, everyone wants to see the fight with Dominick and I but i’m not going to put my life on hold because of his injuries. Fighting's what I do, it's how I make my living, it's what I love to do, and I’ll be fighting whenever they give me the opportunity."

1234 ... Last