JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

UFC on FX 3...Big Play

Erick Silva -175 over Charlie brenneman...I have been eyeing this fight for a month or 2 and missed grabbing it at -140..Brenneman's only chance is to use his wrestling for takedowns and lay and pray for a decision win. Silva is a dynamic striker and no doubt has a bad taste in his mouth from his last fight, the DQ loss to Prater which was complete horseshit. I see a Silva KO. I slammed the remainder of my Bookmaker acct on this and am highly confident in this pick. No guarantees though besides death, taxes and bad beats in sbr poker...
    Last edited by JAKEPEAVY21; 06-03-12 at 12:31 PM.

scofflaw
    scofflaw's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah I'm on Silva too. I missed the great openers but had to lock in -165 and -170 because I suspected the line might get even worse. Considering arbing out partially with Brenneman by decision if I like the price closer to the fight.

I've also been thinking that Not Anderson Silva by 5 round decision is almost a gimme and I should parlay everything with that.

JAKEPEAVY21

Ya, I might entertain scalping with Bren by decision, but probably won't bet much on it, if at all...

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

I think there are still a lot of unknowns about Silva while on the other hand we have a pretty good understanding of Brenneman's game. We know tht aside from his decent wrestling, he is also very durable and highly determined with a lot of heart. How will Silva deal being on his back if Brenneman gets it there? Silva is obviously a more seasoned BJJ practitioner but will it be enough to counter The Spaniards top control? Brenneman also has a solid chin, so if Silva doesnt manage to finish him u are counting on him doing enough damage and controlling the ground action enough to get the decision, which for me is always a dangerous game when betting on a favourite who could potentially be on his back for periods of each round. Not easy to have ur first fight outside of ur home country against a relentless wrestler

JAKEPEAVY21

agreed, V, there are a few unknowns...I just think Silva is a higher pedigree fighter from what I've seen of him and Brenneman is a good wrestler with heart but I believe the cream will rise to the top here and Silva's dynamic striking will spell nighty night for ol' Charlie...I also think that if Charlie does get takedowns, Silva can get a sub...one way or another Silva gets it done inside the distance
    Last edited by JAKEPEAVY21; 06-03-12 at 12:42 PM.

Imsmarterthanu
    Imsmarterthanu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 293

Silva will destroy brenneman

he will be a little more tentative this time around but it won't matter because his size alone will neutralize any strength brenneman has wrestling wise, brenneman is gonna eat punches to the head all day

fosho14
    fosho14's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    I think there are still a lot of unknowns about Silva while on the other hand we have a pretty good understanding of Brenneman's game. We know tht aside from his decent wrestling, he is also very durable and highly determined with a lot of heart. How will Silva deal being on his back if Brenneman gets it there? Silva is obviously a more seasoned BJJ practitioner but will it be enough to counter The Spaniards top control? Brenneman also has a solid chin, so if Silva doesnt manage to finish him u are counting on him doing enough damage and controlling the ground action enough to get the decision, which for me is always a dangerous game when betting on a favourite who could potentially be on his back for periods of each round. Not easy to have ur first fight outside of ur home country against a relentless wrestler
    V, you beat me too it. That is exactly what I was gonna say, agree completely.

Dangerous line for Erick. What are your thoughts Luca?
    Last edited by fosho14; 06-03-12 at 03:32 PM.

Imsmarterthanu

Silva can do a backflip off the cage i think he can manage to get a hairy skinny jewish guy off of him

Crassus
    Crassus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1058

Ian McCall by submission my friends, I grabbed McCall ITD at +900 and that's a solid bet in my book. Ian McCall at + odds overall though is also good if you're not as confident as I am (granted that would be fair, Johnsons never really been close to being finished as far as I can recall)

Imsmarterthanu

Quote Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
    Ian McCall by submission my friends, I grabbed McCall ITD at +900 and that's a solid bet in my book. Ian McCall at + odds overall though is also good if you're not as confident as I am (granted that would be fair, Johnsons never really been close to being finished as far as I can recall)
    That's a dumbass bet

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

So said someone at this forum when i bought silva sub @ 10.50 vs chael sonnen.

fosho14

Quote Originally Posted by Imsmarterthanu View Post
    Silva will destroy brenneman

he will be a little more tentative this time around but it won't matter because his size alone will neutralize any strength brenneman has wrestling wise, brenneman is gonna eat punches to the head all day
    you don't think that Silva will end up on his back at any point throughout the duration of the fight? Agree to disagree I suppose.

Deal With It
    It's a conspiracy FACT!
    Deal With It's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Erick Silva -175 over Charlie brenneman...
    Good luck Jake!
    Points Awarded:

JAKEPEAVY21 gave Deal With It 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

snufflyjoe
    snufflyjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4871

I actually like brennaman in this one if he survives the first I think he takes it

bjpenn85

Joe silva made this fight because of:

1. Test Silvas skills against a good wrestler
    2. To let Brenneman "handle" a tuff striker in Silva, since he usually gets Koed by power strikers.

I dont think Silva wears off after the first round. He has stoppages in 2. and 3. round as well. Brennemans striking skills, or lack of rather, will probably be his downfall. Erik silva is way better off his back than rick story.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Best of luck PEAVER!!!

Points Awarded:

JAKEPEAVY21 gave BIGDAY 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

poopoo333
    poopoo333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4163

Maybe some of you should watch some of Silva's fights in Brazil before he came to the UFC. Was being taken down and controlled in a ring by much lesser wrestlers.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass
    Wanna Bet On It?'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5734

Quote Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
    Agreed.

MM was nearly finished by a guillotine by Cruz and nearly TKOed at the end of the third by McCall. He's a resilient fighter though.

Certainly both guys will be looking for the finish to avoid another judging debacle so getting an implied probability bet of 10% when he very nearly pulled it off last fight is +EV.

I have 1U on McCall at +966 and 2U on McCall at +160 (although the straight play I may arb)

bjpenn85

If i remember correctly he does threaten with subs a lot as well in most fights. And in most fights he seems quite comfortable getting grounded. I do agree that it is dangerous to underestimate brennemans wrestling. Subject to liveplay after round 1 probably...

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333 View Post
    Maybe some of you should watch some of Silva's fights in Brazil before he came to the UFC. Was being taken down and controlled in a ring by much lesser wrestlers.
    yup, two of his one night tourney fights he was losing from what I read because he was continuosly grounded. I think charlie has some of the best mma wrestling around - he's taken down everyone he wanted to outside of ginormous Johnson. However, charlie is a small ww and silva is big, smartsy does have a point with silva's size at that is something charlie could struggle with (but then again, story is a pretty big ww and he grounded him consistently). Yet silva will prob have the best jitz game charlies has faced outside of roberts (which he handled well). I think silva is a rightful fav because if charlie doesn't get it down and keep it there for 3 rounds I know the judges will award what damage silva does on the time spent on the feet (assuming he hadn't already stopped charlie with strikes). Yet I can't take silva because of many 'question marks' people have already pointed out. Lots of hype, but lots to live up to and lots we don't know about, so hard to take him as a fav against one of the best mma wrestlers in the game (and a very intelligent person with great fight iq I might add). If charlie becomes a bigger dog and gets to +160 or so I'll prob take a small stab. Unfortunately I don't, but if you have prop options the only play for this fight should be charlie by decision imo... GL, ts.
    Last edited by MMAbetMASTA; 06-03-12 at 07:31 PM.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

I've been waiting to fade both Silva and Brenneman... so this is a tough fight to pick! Ha--- Thankfully, I did fade Silva in his last bout and it paid off immensely. =)

Imsmarterthanu

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    I've been waiting to fade both Silva and Brenneman... so this is a tough fight to pick! Ha--- Thankfully, I did fade Silva in his last bout and it paid off immensely. =)
    so you "faded" a guy who beat the shit out of his opponent and lost by a technicality , somehow you think that's what the term fade relates to.

I can tell you it only makes you look stupider than you already are

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass
    Wanna Bet On It?'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5734

so you "faded" a guy who beat the shit out of his opponent and lost by a technicality , somehow you think that's what the term fade relates to.

Pfft, Erick's all hype bro. Knew Prater would beat him in under a minute.
    Points Awarded:

omalley21 gave Wanna Bet On It? 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

poopoo333
    poopoo333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4163

Quote Originally Posted by MMAbetMASTA View Post
    yup, two of his one night tourney fights he was losing from what I read because he was continuosly grounded. I think charlie has some of the best mma wrestling around - he's taken down everyone he wanted to outside of ginormous Johnson. However, charlie is a small ww and silva is big, smartsy does have a point with silva's size at that is something charlie could struggle with (but then again, story is a pretty big ww and he grounded him consistently). Yet silva will prob have the best jitz game charlies has faced outside of roberts (which he handled well). I think silva is a rightful fav because if charlie doesn't get it down and keep it there for 3 rounds I know the judges will award what damage silva does on the time spent on the feet (assuming he hadn't already stopped charlie with strikes). Yet I can't take silva because of many 'question marks' people have already pointed out. Lots of hype, but lots to live up to and lots we don't know about, so hard to take him as a fav against one of the best mma wrestlers in the game (and a very intelligent person with great fight iq I might add). If charlie becomes a bigger dog and gets to +160 or so I'll prob take a small stab. Unfortunately I don't, but if you have prop options the only play for this fight should be charlie by decision imo... GL, ts.
    Yeah, the size difference might come into play, I have considered that. I laid 2u on Brenneman by decision when it was @+239..might lay more on Brenneman straight as well

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

I'm also on Silva. As far as I know, I think he trains with Anderson Silva and Jose Aldo.

If Silva's takedown defense can hold up against Brenneman, Silva should be able to win this.

The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Brenneman can only win by dec for sure. But I think Silva has the striking prowess to eventually thump lil' Charlie. Brenneman is clueless on the feet so he'll need to dry hump for 3 rounds and I'm not sure he'll be able to do that.

fosho14

Quote Originally Posted by The HOFF View Post
    Brenneman can only win by dec for sure. But I think Silva has the striking prowess to eventually thump lil' Charlie. Brenneman is clueless on the feet so he'll need to dry hump for 3 rounds and I'm not sure he'll be able to do that.
    pretty much my thoughts as exactly. He'll be able to get him down once or twice but I don't think he'll be able to hold him down or do enough damage to pull out the W on the judges scorecards. That being said quite a few "what ifs" and question marks to be -175.

JAKEPEAVY21

a lot of you guys have brought up some valid points about Silva not being tested and not being taken down yet in the UFC..some good food for thought but I'm sticking to my guns

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Stick to your guns Peaver ... My WRASTLERS are getting owned currently.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

I faded him on the fight he lost, and made a lot of money. Pretty sure I said that in my last post. You're such a dumb guy. lol

Yeah, you fade someone when you think they're over-hyped and over-valued. Again, you're such a dumb guy. lol

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    Stick to your guns Peaver ... My WRASTLERS are getting owned currently.
    yes sir BIGDAY..I view Brenneman as a middle of the road type guy that gets the most out of his abilities...on the other hand, I see Silva as a future star....we shall see if the cream rises to the top or Charlie dry humps him for 3 rounds

fosho14

I guess it's worth the risk on silva boys. The reality is we most likely won't see a -170 line on this guy in the near future if he turns out to be the real deal and stuffs all brenneman's takedowns and then wrecks him. I would be very very surprised if Brenneman is able to LnP for at least 2 full rounds but of course it's looming in the back of my mind. Similar to the brookins/aloe-vera I just don't see it happening though as Silva is too dynamic.
    Last edited by fosho14; 06-04-12 at 12:19 PM.

DirtyX
    Cut Clay Guida
    DirtyX's Avatar Become A Pro!

Very confident in Silva here. Charlie's resume isn't impressive at all imo. Besides Story, he has wins over nobody but cans. He loses to anyone that is skilled, i.e. Johnson and Hendricks. At -170, I am putting at least double the line down on Silva Straight up. After he runs through Charlie, you will be hard pressed to find Silva at anything less than -250 range. I think this is a great bet for the odds.

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

good looks brother! I will be tailing!

1234 ... Last