fosho14
    fosho14's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sass vs Volkmann

How much value is there in sass? This was mentioned earlier in other threads and there wasn't really many convincing points for why volkmann is this favored. The oddsmakers are basically suggesting that wrestling > jui-jitzu and that judges will score points for the person on top even if the person on bottom is constantly and aggressively attacking. Although this is unfortunately true, I don't feel like the books are giving enough respect to how effective sass's jui-jitzu is and how it is very foreseeable and reasonable that sass could submit volkmann on the ground. If the fight is contested standing both men are going to be equally vulnerable as both have very poor technique. Is this fight a lot closer than the odds suggest or am I mistaken? Why is everyone so confident that sass won't be able to submit Volkmann?

Imsmarterthanu
    Imsmarterthanu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 293

Alot closer

this is classic wrestler vs submission artist matchup , in this situation the wrestler is always susceptible to submissions on the ground especially when he lacks a good ability to put the ground game away with strikes.

Luca Fury
    I make my living betting on MMA
    Luca Fury's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 757

Really, Volkmann should be able to end up on top and not give Sass any space, and suffocate him en route to a decision. BUT, since both their striking skills are awful and Volkmann will surely take him down, that give Sass 15 minutes to lock up a sub.

As talked about on my podcast, is it likely? I'd say no. I favor Volkmann to win a decision very slightly. However, Sass' chances to possibly finish a sub at some point throughout a fight that will otherwise go to decision, are good enough for me to bet him.

That said, no point in betting Sass straight at +160, since if he wins, it will almost surely be by sub. Might as well just take the prop on Sass by sub when it comes out at something like +190 or better. I will be.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Volkman has above average BJJ imo.

Does very well with scrambles.

Rubber Guard
    Rubber Guard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5152

No clue who wins that one. I like Sass, and I don't care for Volkmann. That said Volkmann is good at what he does. But didn't Efrain give him problems? If Volkmann wants to wrestle, at least Sass has the antidote for that. I will usually go with the strong wrestler who understands BJJ positions over a one-dimensional BJJ guy. But Sass surely matches up well and looks like he will at least have a chance to use his bread and butter.

Rubber Guard
    Rubber Guard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5152

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Fury View Post
    That said, no point in betting Sass straight at +160, since if he wins, it will almost surely be by sub. Might as well just take the prop on Sass by sub when it comes out at something like +190 or better. I will be.
    Would you also say no point in taking Volkmann straight? I don't see a finish. He won't sub Sass...and like you said he shouldn't give him any room on the ground to pull a sub off. So a GnP TKO which is already unlikely from Volkmann....is even more unlikely now vs. Sass.

I'd say if you like Volkmann...him by Dec. (although I'm sure it isn't much better odds) is the way to play it.

Oblivian
    Oblivian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 721

I don't think there is much value either way. My original hope was to bet Volkmann straight and then bet the prop of fights ends inside the distance. This acts as sort of a hedge if Sass wins, but I really think Volkmann can finish Sass as well. Volkmann's BJJ is underrated. I'm thinking Volkmann should be able to dominate him positionally and pass his guard. If this does happen, I question how Sass will look late. Volkmann is pretty good at attacking the neck with brabo chokes, but he doesn't always commit and uses it for positional dominance. If Sass is tired, I think he'll commit.

TheCalculator
    TheCalculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5633

I'm on the SASS train. Guy is a world-class submission artist.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Quote Originally Posted by TheCalculator View Post
    I'm on the SASS train. Guy is a world-class submission artist.
    He's the British Palhares.

fosho14

A small play on sass by submission sounds like fun . Either that or Volkmann by decision. I don't see Volkmann finishing this fight.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Volkmann is the play! Christmas by Decemberision.

Luca Fury
    I make my living betting on MMA
    Luca Fury's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 757

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Guard View Post
    Would you also say no point in taking Volkmann straight? I don't see a finish. He won't sub Sass...and like you said he shouldn't give him any room on the ground to pull a sub off. So a GnP TKO which is already unlikely from Volkmann....is even more unlikely now vs. Sass.

I'd say if you like Volkmann...him by Dec. (although I'm sure it isn't much better odds) is the way to play it.
    Yep, pretty much. I'd be surprised if Volkmann finished him. It's possible, but not likely at all.

TheCalculator

ESO!
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    He's the British Palhares.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Quote Originally Posted by TheCalculator View Post
    ESO!
    Employee Stock Option? lol

TheCalculator

Spanish for "that's it!"

Imsmarterthanu
    Imsmarterthanu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 293

Quote Originally Posted by Imsmarterthanu View Post
    Alot closer

this is classic wrestler vs submission artist matchup , in this situation the wrestler is always susceptible to submissions on the ground especially when he lacks a good ability to put the ground game away with strikes.
    yep

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Great sub by Sass. Wow, I thought Volkmann would have taken it the distance.

fosho14

Yup line was way off...

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Volkmann got me good. Focker.