Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

All im hoping is that this fight doesnt go the distance. Need that bet to hit

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
    Thiago has advantages
    More accurate with his punches and gets tagged less. See the Fightmetrics.
    Fightmetric stats are pretty close to useless. Comparing fighter 1 landing 55% of strikes against opponents A, B, and C to fighter 2 landing 40% of strikes against oppenents X, Y, and Z means nothing without analyzing the matchups.

If the numbers meant anything, books would be creating much sharper lines out the gate. Modeling data is something they are very good at.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ghost kid

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Thiago probably isn't being tested periodically while he's suspended is he? He could be using PED's this whole time, it only takes like 3-4 weeks for testosterone levels to return to normal (do we even know what he was using?). I agree with Vitooch that the safest play is fight won't go distance. They're both finishers.

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Fightmetric stats are pretty close to useless. Comparing fighter 1 landing 55% of strikes against opponents A, B, and C to fighter 2 landing 40% of strikes against oppenents X, Y, and Z means nothing without analyzing the matchups.

If the numbers meant anything, books would be creating much sharper lines out the gate. Modeling data is something they are very good at.
    I agree with your point here Nunya, and it would have been a great counter point if Gustaffson fought the better strikers causing his numbers to be worse. However, Silva has fought the most elusive striker in the UFC (Machida) and other above average strikers (Rashad) whereas, Gustaffsons has been tagged by lesser strikers (Hamill). Yes, I know Gustaffsn fought Diabate who is a great striker himself.

The point that I was originally trying to make is that Gustaffsons striking defense is not the best in the world and he can be caught.

Nunya, I always appreciate you playing devils advocate and bringing in your 'Asperger's' opinion

Rubber Guard
    Rubber Guard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5152

Gustaf also beat Te Huna...who is a solid and very powerful striker.

Not sure how much Rashad can factor into Silva's striking opponents when he didn't look to strike at all. He wrestled him.

Vera was beating Silva in any exchanges. Silva won by TD and manhadling him with his roid muscles.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

I agree with your point here Nunya, and it would have been a great counter point if Gustaffson fought the better strikers causing his numbers to be worse. However, Silva has fought the most elusive striker in the UFC (Machida) and other above average strikers (Rashad) whereas, Gustaffsons has been tagged by lesser strikers (Hamill). Yes, I know Gustaffsn fought Diabate who is a great striker himself.

The point that I was originally trying to make is that Gustaffsons striking defense is not the best in the world and he can be caught.
    You're probably right about this matchup, I haven't looked into it in any detail since I missed the opener. But again, the evidence you're presenting is relating to analyzing the matchups themselves, and not actually the cold stats themselves. If every UFC fighter fought every other UFC fighter several times the data would begin to have some meaning.

Nunya, I always appreciate you playing devils advocate and bringing in your 'Asperger's' opinion
    Someday, I hope to get wealthy enough doing this to hire someone to mop the drool off the keyboard for me.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Guard View Post
    Gustaf also beat Te Huna...who is a solid and very powerful striker.
    IIRC Gustaffson beat Te Huna by barely surviving the four minutes in which Te Huna is dangerous.

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

yea gustafsson took himself down against te huna.

Vitooch
    Dayman

I wouldnt say Gus barely survived . Gus was never in any real danger.

I would still take James Te Huna and Hamill over Vera and Jardine any ******* day.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by Vitooch View Post
    I wouldnt say Gus barely survived . Gus was never in any real danger.
    You're probably right, I haven't rewatched the fight in forever.

Vitooch
    Dayman

Watching it now actually. Gus ate small shots from side control and a few elbows from his guard. His defensive BJJ was very solid overall.

Rubber Guard
    Rubber Guard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5152

Thiago has advantages
    More accurate with his punches and gets tagged less. See the Fightmetrics.
    Was this serious? Ol' 1 punch is accurate? He throws no combo's. Perhaps the numbers show that, but MMA numbers are almost useless. Thiago is a wild home run hitter. He is not accurate at all.

First 12