THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier (May 19th)

• Josh Barnett vs. Daniel Cormier (heavyweight grand-prix finale)
    • Champ Gilbert Melendez vs. Josh Thomson (for lightweight title)
    • Nate Marquardt vs. Tyron Woodley
    • Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Mike Kyle
    • Derrick Mehmen vs. Gian Villante

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

GOnna be interesting to see if T-Wood can outwrestle Nate for three-rounds

THE_LOCKSMITH

gonna be a good card

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

i look forward to the strikeforce cards.....seems as though they may be absorbed(ala the wec) in about a year when the contracts expire....will be enjoyable watching the strikeforce guys in the ufc but i`m not sure i like the ufc consuming every other major mma entity....

Crassus
    Crassus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1058

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    GOnna be interesting to see if T-Wood can outwrestle Nate for three-rounds
    Yeah, I don't know if i can put T-Wood on the same level of wrasslin as Okami and Sonnen, but he's close...

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
    Yeah, I don't know if i can put T-Wood on the same level of wrasslin as Okami and Sonnen, but he's close...
    yeah, gonna be the smaller guy as well

Crassus

yeah, gonna be the smaller guy as well
    Is woodley moving up to 185 or is Nate moving down?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Will be at 170

Crassus

Will be at 170
    So the weight-cut could kill Nate...I feel like he needs to go after T-Wood in the first or he'll gas by the 2nd and 3rd. So either nate by 1st rnd (T)KO/Submission or T-Wood by UD.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
    So the weight-cut could kill Nate...I feel like he needs to go after T-Wood in the first or he'll gas by the 2nd and 3rd. So either nate by 1st rnd (T)KO/Submission or T-Wood by UD.
    Maybe, but he's had plenty of time to do trial cuts and get his weight down since the Miller fight

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

I still can't believe Nate can cut to 170... he looks huge.

Nate is obviously the better overall fighter, but I'm liking TWood to win a UD at 170.

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

nate is not that big...
    His frame is not huge..he was heavily over muscled. The cut to 170 should be no problem. I'm sure he had to keep a vigorous routine of lifting and eating to maintain the previous muscle mass.

didnt he fight sudo at 155?

Crassus

Maybe, but he's had plenty of time to do trial cuts and get his weight down since the Miller fight
    Fair enough, is there any news on what Nate's walking around weight before the cut will be?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Dunno, here is a photo of him and a few others such as Hamann, Schaub, Cerrone, Brenneman, Ludwig from the other day...(difference between him and Ludwig is pretty big!)...

Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Nate looks like Paul Harris lol

PunisherIND
    myles jewry
    PunisherIND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9625

gil melendez will not lose this fight. -350 is a fair price imo.

caveira
    caveira's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1004

I hope Cormier do the work!

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by caveira View Post
    I hope Cormier do the work!
    I'm leaning cormier too... A few of my buddies who are legit mma gamblers are really liking josh. However, one is a former training partner and they are out of kings now so they might be biased (and I think they are because I don't like the arguments they're making).

I think this fight is pretty simple to breakdown, but hard to call - you're basically betting on who is the better mma striker, agree?

I don't see josh keeping dan down for a prolonged amount of time (nor do I think he will be able take him down at all), and I don't think dan is gonna wanna risk a scramble or a sweep and therefore go for tds / a ground game approach against josh.

Stacking these two up, this is very hard to calll befcause its hard to call who would win the striking match. I wanna say josh because of experience and his ability to survive against guys with legit stand up (and its looked improved as well and the guy has always had pretty sound hands imo), but then again dan's hands and overall boxing technique looks really sexy and smooth, the way he buttered up big foot's face and monson looked like he had been boxing for a long time... Is this a 5 rounder or 3? If dan becomes a bigger dog again I would def play him, otherwise this is prob a no play for me, or an over 2 1/2 if the odds are good. I do think that dan has an edge on the feet, but I have very little confidence in that statement...so its really tough to call I think..

I just can't pick barnettte as my friends are, I think they are blurred with some bias as they tend to believe josh is gonna out wrestle and out grapple dan, but I just see josh having a damn hard time gettign it to the ground and keeping it there.

chris010
    chris010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 804

This is going to be a great style fight, both are top level wrestlers with decent stand-up. Barnett's counter punching impressed me against khartinov for the short time that fight was on the feet. Similarly, Cormier's boxing in his past two fights is technically far and beyond what his experience level would indicate.

I'm giving a slight edge to Cormier by the simple fact that his wrestling pedigree will prevents Barnett getting him down. Cormier should outpoint Barnett on the feet and edge a decision. Only chance I see for Barnett is via sub should he get Cormier on his back. So may play both props.

Very excited for this fight, if Cormier wins he's the next UFC champion > JDS due to styles imo.

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

I don't see why cormier couldn't take him down. I don't think barnett is particularly threatening with sweeps. Crocop was able to sit in his guard and **** him up several times.

MMAbetMASTA

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I don't see why cormier couldn't take him down. I don't think barnett is particularly threatening with sweeps. Crocop was able to sit in his guard and **** him up several times.
    Good point with the mirko fights, you're right now that I think about it.. josh isn't overly impressive with sweeps or having an active guard off his back. His damage and forte comes from top position. I just don't think dan is gonna wanna risk ending up on his back and would wanna prevent that at all costs, therefore I think the most likely route for that to happen is josh getting the better of a scramble or something. So I would be surprised if dan approached this with the ground game in mind, but who knows perhaps he plans to shoot a few tds at the end of each round or soemthing to mix it up. And another thing to consider when banking on dan to use a ground game approach - the dude really hasn't fought legit wrestlers outside of cole (who isn't all too great either). Josh is by far the best mma catch wrestler dan's faced, so its hard to call how well dan's offensive wrestling will be like when faced with a good mma wrestler. THere is no doubt his defensive wrestling is some of the best around, the dude's base is insane so I really don't see him on his back unless he gets in a tricky scramble or makes a stupid mistake... More I think about this the tougher it seems to call!!!

THE_LOCKSMITH

MAIN CARD (Showtime)
    • Josh Barnett vs. Daniel Cormier (heavyweight grand-prix finale)
    • Champ Gilbert Melendez vs. Josh Thomson (for lightweight title)
    • Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Mike Kyle
    • Nah-Shon Burrell vs. Chris Spang

PRELIMINARY CARD (Showtime Extreme)
    • Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg
    • Guto Inocente vs. Virgil Zwicker
    • Derrick Mehmen vs. Gian Villante
    • Quinn Mulhern vs. Yuri Villefort
    • Bobby Green vs. James Terry

JOSHKROTCHNECK
    JOSHKROTCHNECK's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nate has a lot to prove after being cut by the UFC but it will be interesting to see what kind of effect dropping down a div and not fighting for a year has on him. It seems like a good time for woodley to be fighting him. Not too sure whether he can take him down but taking those factors into account I like woodleys chances.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass
    Wanna Bet On It?'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5734

I have a 2U bet on Gil in a 3-man parlay with JDS & Vitor. Pays EVEN. The juice got significantly worse though as that was at the opener.

Added another 1.5U on Melendez after Josh said he's going ahead with the fight. It's in a Melendez/Not Cerrone ITD/Ellenberger parlay to win 2.5U.

MMAbetMASTA

Quote Originally Posted by Wanna Bet On It? View Post
    I have a 2U bet on Gil in a 3-man parlay with JDS & Vitor. Pays EVEN. The juice got significantly worse though as that was at the opener.

Added another 1.5U on Melendez after Josh said he's going ahead with the fight. It's in a Melendez/Not Cerrone ITD/Ellenberger parlay to win 2.5U.
    Wait so is the Gil / Thompson fight on???? I read rumors on here and elsewhere that josh tore his PCL????

If someone can confirm all of this it would be great...

I already liked Gil even with the juicey line, but if josh is fighting injured (the same injury that's seemed to plague him the past few years), then I think Gil is looking golden in my eyes...

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

On Thursday, FrontRowBrian – who doesn’t work for a mixed martial arts news outlet, but has had a knack for breaking MMA info – reported Josh Thomson (Pictured) tore the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) in his knee and would likely be forced out of his title scrap against Strikeforce lightweight champ Gilbert Melendez.However, Thomson came firing back with a vengeance on his Twitter account regarding the rumors. While he didn’t necessarily deny the injury, “The Punk” promised to keep his May 19th appointment no matter what.“Gotta love when so obscure twitter guy thinks he has the inside scoop on what’s going on. Ha! Just another way to get a follower or 2 #troll,”Thomson tweeted. “What fighter doesn’t have some sort of injury going into a fight? I’m fighting so peoples sources are jokes just like they’re websites.“Didn’t confirm fight or injury with fighter or camp before printing. That’s top journalism at its best. Lol”Well, that should just about settle things…The former training partners will complete their trilogy inside HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. Thomson initially took Melendez’s Strikeforce title back in January of 2008, but “El Niño” stormed back to reclaim the strap in their December 2009 rematch.If Thomson couldn’t answer the bell, Strikeforce’s most viable option as a replacement is Patrick Healy. Although game time is less than a week away, “Bam Bam” claimed he was more than willing to serve as a last-minute substitute.“If Josh Thomson is injured and they need someone to fight Gil, you already know I’m down,” Healy posted on his Twitter.Showtime will broadcast Saturday’s featured bouts beginning at 10PM ET/PT.

Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Gil wins this fight, even if Thomson is 100% healthy. Just doesnt match up well stylistically with Gil.

MMAbetMASTA

On Thursday, FrontRowBrian – who doesn’t work for a mixed martial arts news outlet, but has had a knack for breaking MMA info – reported Josh Thomson (Pictured) tore the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) in his knee and would likely be forced out of his title scrap against Strikeforce lightweight champ Gilbert Melendez.However, Thomson came firing back with a vengeance on his Twitter account regarding the rumors. While he didn’t necessarily deny the injury, “The Punk” promised to keep his May 19th appointment no matter what.“Gotta love when so obscure twitter guy thinks he has the inside scoop on what’s going on. Ha! Just another way to get a follower or 2 #troll,”Thomson tweeted. “What fighter doesn’t have some sort of injury going into a fight? I’m fighting so peoples sources are jokes just like they’re websites.“Didn’t confirm fight or injury with fighter or camp before printing. That’s top journalism at its best. Lol”Well, that should just about settle things…The former training partners will complete their trilogy inside HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. Thomson initially took Melendez’s Strikeforce title back in January of 2008, but “El Niño” stormed back to reclaim the strap in their December 2009 rematch.If Thomson couldn’t answer the bell, Strikeforce’s most viable option as a replacement is Patrick Healy. Although game time is less than a week away, “Bam Bam” claimed he was more than willing to serve as a last-minute substitute.“If Josh Thomson is injured and they need someone to fight Gil, you already know I’m down,” Healy posted on his Twitter.Showtime will broadcast Saturday’s featured bouts beginning at 10PM ET/PT.
    Thanks man... So this all could be a full blown rumor and josh could be better than ever

Although in reality I think josh prob really is injured and he kind of hints at that from his tone, just perhaps not as severe an injury as its been made out to be.

While it was on very short notice, Josh looked lackluster against Noons, should have lost to JZ on my card, and had a very close fight with healy. Therefore he seems to be on the slow decline, where one could say gil is at his peak. I know Gil got outstruck (and out grappled now that i think about it) in the first fight, but I think that was the turning point in gil's boxing and overall game, and the peak of thomson's career. Since that loss Gil's looked phenomenal on the feet (couldn't believe he outstruck masvidal for 5 rounds and I think jorge has prob the most underrated striking out there) and seems to be a level above anyone he faces when it comes to the striking. Josh will come out strong, win the first round like in the 2nd fight, then Gil finds his range and gets wet, takes over the next 4 rounds in a boxing match that cruises to a UD. Part of me can't forget how badly josh seemed to beat gil to the punch in the first fight, but that was long ago and in the second fight it was the complete opposite. I gotta believe gil is even better than that second fight and it could be argued josh has gotten worse... If josh is not 100% I'm really loving gil (already liked him w/out the injury stuff), prob gonna pay the juice on him and take him str8 up. Would be all over Gil decision if that were offered on my book.

Btw, imo this is a lose / lose fight for gil... When it was first announced I'm surprised he didn't object / say something about wanting a bigger opponent. As a fan I wasn't thrilled when it was announced. I realize josh might be the best option when you think about the current roster, and you need to take into account zuffa's biz plan for SF and its fighters, but damn... Healy / wilcox / fodor , deserving or not, would have been more interesting to me.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

hmm check out Thomson's right knee in this recent photo...is this normal?!

1nce
    1nce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Yo! Got ~€120 @+650 riding on Barnett since I've played him as winner of the HW-tourney a couple of years back. Now to my dilemma...

How do you see this fight playing out? Should I stick with my initial bet or should I hedge/arb it? What would you do?

Haven't had the time to look deeper into this matchup and was really hoping for Bigfoot in the final. At first glance I think Cormier poses some serious threats for Barnett's style of fighting. So who do you like in this fight?

Libert1ne
    Libert1ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd arb out. Cormier's got a very very good chance at beating barnett. I cap Cormier as a favourite.

Make it a balanced arb so you make equal profit regardless of who wins IMO.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Yeha I'd personally arb out with Cormier while he's still dog just because I really don't know how to call this one either way...although I lean Cormier. I've also got a play on Barnett winning GP at +600 but not as much at stake as you as it was a hedge to playing Overeem to win grand prix.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass
    Wanna Bet On It?'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5734

Looks like a prepatellar bursitis. It's just one crappy angle though.

For anyone who knows how to read between the lines, Josh is clearly hurt. He didn't deny having a knee injury just stated that FRB was a hack for not confirming the injury with him/his camp and he's still an idiot, whether Josh wins or loses. When someone asked Josh if he was hurt and wouldn't fight he responded he was still fighting (but didn't dispell the rumour he was hurt).

He shouldn't be fighting with a PCL injury, even grade I. He's prone to his knee giving out with low leg kicks or a low DL shot which slams against his shin bone. Even the best 155ers needs to be at 100% to beat Gil these days so Melendez is as close to a lock as there is IMO.

JOSHKROTCHNECK

Arb out. Cormier wins this one by KO. This will be barnetts first real test against someone with top 10 potential at HW or LHW if he drops down. Rogers is a can and kharitanov has terrible TDD. Barnett will struggle to take down cormier and cormier will light him up on the feet. People say that cormier is a small HW and josh has a side advantage but it plays both ways. Cormier is lightning on the feet.

Also dont listen to people when they tell you that collegiate and olympic wrestling doesnt translate over to mma wrestling. Thats gotta be one of the stupidest arguments and angles people can give.

JOSHKROTCHNECK

Quote Originally Posted by Wanna Bet On It? View Post
    Looks like a prepatellar bursitis. It's just one crappy angle though.

For anyone who knows how to read between the lines, Josh is clearly hurt. He didn't deny having a knee injury just stated that FRB was a hack for not confirming the injury with him/his camp and he's still an idiot, whether Josh wins or loses. When someone asked Josh if he was hurt and wouldn't fight he responded he was still fighting (but didn't dispell the rumour he was hurt).

He shouldn't be fighting with a PCL injury, even grade I. He's prone to his knee giving out with low leg kicks or a low DL shot which slams against his shin bone. Even the best 155ers needs to be at 100% to beat Gil these days so Melendez is as close to a lock as there is IMO.
    The thing is too you've got to factor in how this will affect him mentally. He already has an easy out it he loses by saying he wasnt at 100 percent and perhaps he shouldnt have fought. I wonder if he is mentally defeated.

I wouldnt even give a fully fit josh thompson a good chance but a banged up thompson ? Gill wins this all day.

1234 ... Last